• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official World Cup of Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerbelly

Banned
*Buzzer* WRONG. Esche had to face 32 shots from Canada for a 2-1 loss (one goal deflected by his own teammate, Draper) and 45 shots against Russia for a 3-1 loss (in which another goal from a skate by Chelios).

Dipietro only faced 17 shots tonight and he let one goal...

Esche is good..

beerbelly said:
*Buzzer* WRONG. Esche had to face 32 shots from Canada for a 2-1 loss (one goal deflected by his own teammate, Draper) and 45 shots against Russia for a 3-1 loss (in which another goal from a skate by Chelios).

Dipietro only faced 17 shots tonight and he let one goal...

Esche is good..
headache.jpg

Solid

Ruutu said he was gonna kick Forsbergs ass tonight. Haha, let's see if he dares.

I reckon we'll see a very tough match. And I be damned if Sweden lose!

Deepthroat said:
Ruutu said he was gonna kick Forsbergs ass tonight. Haha, let's see if he dares.

I reckon we'll see a very tough match. And I be damned if Sweden lose!
haha, swedish tabloids yesterday were trashing Ruutu. :) Fin-Swe games are always tough games and very fun to watch. Both hate to lose to their "arch rivals". :) I almost throwed my tv out of the window when we lost our 5-1 lead two years ago. =)

My prediction... Finland wins 4-2.

:)

Alucard

Banned
I'm really hoping that Mario pops one or two goals into the net tonight. It would be great to see him make something magical happen. Or he could just save that for the final. ;)

Good news for Forsberg. Jarkko Ruutu doesnt play today, Antti Laaksonen plays in his place. =)

edit: EXCELLENT news for Finland. Aki Berg doesnt play today!! :D

edit2: 1:39 Finland scores! :D Tommy Salo sucks it in! :D

What a exciting game! both Finland and Sweden absolutely hate losing to each other so every game between them is like a game 7 on finals. :)

edit: 3-2, Lidstrom scores on 2-man pp. :\ No more penalties please.

Alucard

Banned
This game rocks. 3-3 after one period! Sweden looks sooooooo freaking deadly on the powerplay. It's too bad that their goaltending sucks nuts, otherwise I'd easily put them as one of the favourites to win the tourny.

I'm going to miss not having the NHL this year. :( Might as well enjoy this while I can.

nubbe

I love Sweden - Finland matches!

There is so damn much prestige involved… Everyone is playing as if their life depended on it. :D

nubbe said:
I love Sweden - Finland matches!

There is so damn much prestige involved? Everyone is playing as if their life depended on it. :D

Damn right!

4-3, Olli Jokinen scores! Sweden is strong... but their goaltending SUCKS! I'm glad we have Kipper. :D

Socreges

Banned
Fuck, just got home. Can't believe I missed such an (apparently) awesome period.

Midway, I thought you were Swedish? Or English? Or all of the above?

Gregory

Banned
Holy shit, what a game!

I can`t remember the last time I saw such great hockey. 4-3 to Finland now after 2 periods. I have a feeling Sweden will have their usual luck and win though. Fucking sweden, they better lose this one or I`ll flip out.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, that's right. Finland trounced the Czechs while the Swedes sneaked by.

Empty new with over two minutes remaining. Gutsy.

[edit] 6 on 4...

I know it's the last minute in the third, but it's kind of hard to not call that penalty after what he did to Forsberg, dude. Awesome action.

calder

Damn, poor Kipper. I'm no big fan of Forsberg, but you have to call that when the game is winding down and a defencemen holds an attacking player to the ice for 10 seconds and gives him a few cross checks to the back of the head for good measure.

Great game, I love watching games like this where my team isn't in it so I can just enjoy it without worrying, but I always will cheer for Finland over Sweden.

Hahah, Ohlund almost went in wide around the Finnish D and got a partial break. When freaking Mattias Ohlund is almost lumbering around guys and getting in on net you know your defence is tired. ;P

I have to go to a birthday dinner tonight. No Canada/Russia for me. :( :(

calder

Yeah, in the Euro pool there's such a huge difference between finishing first and playing the not-as-sound as maybe we thought Germans and finishing second and playing the suddenly dangerous looking Czechs. I know I'd be shit scared playing the Czechs in a quarter final game... they might not show up and mail in an easy win for their opponent or they might click and upset you by 4 goals.

OHHH TEEMU NO!!!!!! Whew, still looks like the Finns win the pool! :D

Solid

Woa that game rocked! So nervous at the end! :D

Anyway, will Sweden face the Czechs in the quarterfinal? I thought the 2nd in the group got to face the 3rd in the american group.

Gregory

Banned
Deepthroat said:
Woa that game rocked! So nervous at the end! :D

Anyway, will Sweden face the Czechs in the quarterfinal? I thought the 2nd in the group got to face the 3rd in the american group.

ahaha, yes! Sweden will now play the Czechs in the quarterfinal and Finland will have an "easy" way to the semi`s by meeting Germany.

Fantastic game. I almost went berserk went sweden tied the game when there was 11 seconds left, so fucking typical Sweden. But LUCKILY they didn`t score in the overtime...phew!

Looking forward to Canada - Russia tonight. Hope the Russians puts the cocky Canadians in place.

Socreges

Banned
Gregory said:
Hope the Russians puts the cocky Canadians in place.
I hope you're just talking about the Canadian fans. Because the players are relatively modest. Especially compared to Russians of all people.

But yeah, we're cocky. And with good cause. ;)

Boogie

Gregory said:
Looking forward to Canada - Russia tonight. Hope the Russians puts the cocky Canadians in place.

Our "place" is being #1 in the hockey world, and we don't need the Russians' help to put us there ;P

Gregory

Banned
Socreges said:
I hope you're just talking about the Canadian fans. Because the players are relatively modest. Especially compared to Russians of all people.

But yeah, we're cocky. And with good cause. ;)

True that I guess. I love watching the games played in Canada though, such great atmosphere and audience. It was almost embarrassing to watch the 2 USA games played in USA in comparison. Absolutely no atmosphere and one of the worst audiencees I have ever seen. It was like they hardly understood the game, bleh.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I can't stand American commentators either. :-\ Especially guys like John Davidson.

Oh, and I was also annoyed with that one broadcaster constantly praising Kiprusoff in today's Finland/Sweden game. Argh.

Fifty

For sure. I believe it was him that...after the empty net shot hit the post, said something like "Oh boy oh boy" something along those lines, but it just sounded horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom