• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Envious of EU VC fans with their spiffy Arcade launch.

borghe said:
I think that was actually the point. If you just played MLAAK and went back to it tomorrow, it loads up instantly. Pretty sure that is intentional.

Agreed, it's definitely a good thing.

pakkit said:
So there's a small download onto the Wii from the SD card that runs the much larger game?

It does a single temp file equal to any game or channel you load no matter the size. It's actually a plus and at worst a minor thing for folks to keep an eye on for VC/WW purchase days if they still occasionally download larger games to the front page.

I still have three WW titles (Dr. Mario, Gradius Rebirth, MM9) and a bunch of VC games on my main channel screens but with the update I now have 534 blocks free.

Dave Long

Banned
pakkit said:
God I love that fucking download screen so much.
Haha... last night while installing Resident Evil 5 on the PS3 I was also downloading Bit.Trip Beat from the Wii Shop. Guess which one I was watching?

ProTip: It wasn't the one with the generic progress bar.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I have a question on gifting VC/WW games.

Does the recipient party get a blue light to let them know they have a present or am I going to have to tell them to check?

Jiggy

Princess Skittles said:
I have a question on gifting VC/WW games.

Does the recipient party get a blue light to let them know they have a present or am I going to have to tell them to check?
They receive a mail on the Wii, but whether or not they'd know about the mail itself is always in question since they'd either need WiiConnect24 and the standby connection both turned on or they'd have to take their Wii online for some other reason.

Edit: Example, I gifted someone Fantasy Zone and waited for ten to twelve days before finally realizing I'd have to send a PM since she sure wasn't checking herself. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh man, how I missed the Check Mii Out and Nintendo Channels. Finally glad to have them back.

My main screen is so barren now. Internet, Weather, News, Photo, and Games. That's it!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jiggy said:
They receive a mail on the Wii, but whether or not they'd know about the mail itself is always in question since they'd either need WiiConnect24 and the standby connection both turned on or they'd have to take their Wii online for some other reason.

Edit: Example, I gifted someone Fantasy Zone and waited for ten to twelve days before finally realizing I'd have to send a PM since she sure wasn't checking herself. :p
Oh, okay, thanks. <3

He's technically sound, I'd imagine he has all that on.

Jiggy

Agent Unknown said:
One thing I've always wondered is if the Shop channel alerts you if it's a title they already have?
Yes. It won't let you send if they already have the title, are in a different region, or have removed you from their friend list.

Edit: Though the US and Canada, at least, can circumvent the region thing with each other, and probably only with each other, by switching countries in the Wii settings and re-agreeing to their terms. (I don't recommend this for any other countries since I'm not certain if it works or if you lose Wii Points in the conversion from North America to Europe or Japan, or what happens. I can only speak for the US and Canada.)

Man God said:
Oh man, how I missed the Check Mii Out and Nintendo Channels. Finally glad to have them back.

My main screen is so barren now. Internet, Weather, News, Photo, and Games. That's it!

Same here, I've deleted all of my games from the internal memory and just have the channels on it now. Feels so good to have the Check Mii Out channel back :D

WiiRevolution1 said:
Posted this in the GDC thread but Figured Ide post it here to.

English DSi Shop sceens.

Got them off the Nintendo GDC Press site.

Looks cool...there better be a few launch titles. Really getting worried that they wont launch anything on DSiWare day 1 (The browser does'nt count)

Aww, no sign of Virtual Handheld :(

Come on Nintendo, bring the goods!

Actually, does anyone know if the DSi update allows you to run games from SD Card like the Wii does now?

Thanks for the gift info, Jiggy. I need to get into one those gifting pools sometime. ;)

DSi Shop hub looks nice. Not happy that you can't share points from your Wii account though. Also for the DSi owners here, does the DSi Opera browser have any improvements? ie: Can you view flash sites like youtube unlike the old card version?

Somnid

Nuclear Muffin said:
Actually, does anyone know if the DSi update allows you to run games from SD Card like the Wii does now?

Doesn't appear to. I think it may have been some background update that might be used later. It doesn't really effect anything as far as I can tell.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Man God said:

Yeah, welcome back Nintendo Channel. Hopefully they will have better stats now that people will actually use that channel.

Sweet, I didn't realize the update added the arcade games into the Shop. I thought it was for the EU shop for some reason.

I already have Mappy and Druaga on my PSP Namco Collection and Gaplus looks too much like Galaxian (it's Galaga or nothing). Starfighter looks pretty good but I have enough shooters. Still, very nice extra for the day. Bring on the Nintendo arcade titles!

Ok just woke up...

All I can say is...

WOW!

Also:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! *runs off to do update and download some more stuff*

:lol actually physically smiling over this, we've dreamed so long, can't believe it was actually GOOD.

Thank you Nintendo! *faints*

Been re-dling for the last hour or so. I've got like over 70 game it turns out:lol Glad I got a 2gig stick from Gamestop the other day, was like 13 bucks.

Man God said:

same here :D I'm thinking about putting these channels on the SD card too because I have only 600 blocks left with only the art style games installed :/

sfog

Japan's getting 6 arcade games on their VC tomorrow:

Emeraldia
Gaplus
Solvalou
Space Harrier
Star Force
The Return of Ishtar

Aside from Star Force (which is 500), the others are 800 points each.

Just been downloading all my VC/WW again and noticed that the Wii-Speak channel has an update too. Now it says "Wii Speak 2.0" when I hover over it on the main menu. Anyone know what the update did? Only thing I noticed that I don't remember seeing before is a "show pictures from SD card" option in the speech lobby, but that may just be because I haven't looked at the channel in a while.

Ok someone in Amirox's WW/VC game recommendation thread said Space Invaders Get Even's hefty 300+ blocks worth of DLC can't be run from SD. That really stinks. Also, in light of this, can both MLAAK and its DLC be launched from the card? And how big is MLAAK's content? Could DLC in general keep the fridge partly alive? :\

edit: At about 9:45pm central here I FINALLY got the system alert mail regarding the update. Ha. Wow. It also has the info on how the update effects the photo and Wii Speak channel that Monkeylord mentioned.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So how successful has the VC/WiiWare service been for companies other than Nintendo?

Just found out that you can only copy or move WW/VC saves if the SD card channel is deleted (the dummy file that is, the one appears in the list of Wii channels in Data Management after booting a game from the SD card).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Somnid said:
Doesn't appear to. I think it may have been some background update that might be used later. It doesn't really effect anything as far as I can tell.

I can't find a difference either.

They didn't block flash cards either or so I'm told.

Agent Unknown said:
edit: At about 9:45pm central here I FINALLY got the system alert mail regarding the update. Ha. Wow. It also has the info on how the update effects the photo and Wii Speak channel that Lord Monkey mentioned.

Andy how're they affected? No sign of the mail yet here, and I don't see me gtting it till sometime tomorrow (03:30am so I'm off to bed in a min)

markatisu

Windu said:
So how successful has the VC/WiiWare service been for companies other than Nintendo?

The Lost Winds developer was very happy with the returns they saw on their game, we heard from Capcom that Mega Man 9 sold best on Wii Ware (out of any WiiWare game), just this week The World of Goo developers said 60% of their total sales came from the Wii Ware edition, Hudson has been extremely happy and has a full slate of WiiWare games including a Adventure Island 3-D remake, and today Square announced a few more WiiWare titles.

So I think things are going great for companies other than Nintendo

Monkeylord said:
Andy how're they affected? No sign of the mail yet here, and I don't see me gtting it till sometime tomorrow (03:30am so I'm off to bed in a min)

Just basically in that they can utilize SDHC cards which I guess is OK for the handful of folks who use a lot of photos or for some reason would want loads of AAC tracks in the photo channel? Also, the update mail says that Wiispeak users who have't upgraded won't be able to communicate with friends who have already downloaded the update.

Well now that I actually watched the trailers I'm not as interested in the second one, seems like a board game of sorts? Really liked the style though. First game looks like you have to balance people on cubes or something.

Are these out now in Japan? "Transmission target date March 26" according to Babelfish

pakkit

Banned
The second WiiWare game looks like Paper Mario aesthetics plus Mario Party. Definitely a wise move by Nintendo, as it's the only way I'd ever purchase a party game.

The first game looks a LOT more interesting though, seeing as I have no idea what the fuck is going on, and Nintendo's puzzle games are some of the best in the industry.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Agent Unknown said:
Ok someone in Amirox's WW/VC game recommendation thread said Space Invaders Get Even's hefty 300+ blocks worth of DLC can't be run from SD. That really stinks. Also, in light of this, can both MLAAK and its DLC be launched from the card? And how big is MLAAK's content? Could DLC in general keep the fridge partly alive?

Space Invaders is a weird case, as it has MASSIVE amounts of DLC -- 200 blocks each for 3 different downloads, if I recall correctly. FFCC:MLAAK has much smaller downloads... a few blocks or so.

Yes Boss!

borghe said:
This is what I dread. It will probably take me a couple of hours to get everything downloaded.

It is painfully slow. Took me about two hours to get through half my 100-strong catalog. I wish there was an option to just download everything at once.

To celebrate the Storage Solution I bought Bit Trip Beats. Hopefully developers are going to see increased sales...I know I'll be buying more and playing more now on my Wii.

neo2046 said:

Wow these look pretty cool! The first game looks a bit like an Art Style game and the other one seems to look like a Mario Party esc game with Paper Mario meets Wind Waker style visuals! (The 2nd game also seems to credit Nintendo as developer, no other company is listed. Could this be Nintendo's first internally developed Wii Ware game?)

Also how does Datana Twinbee TGCD compare to the arcade version? Would I be better off waiting for a Virtual Console Arcade release or is the TGCD version the way to go?

Nuclear Muffin: "Also how does Datana Twinbee TGCD compare to the arcade version? Would I be better off waiting for a Virtual Console Arcade release or is the TGCD version the way to go?"

It's actually a Hucard game not a CDROM title. It's a remake of the arcade game specifically tailored for the PC-Engine and is quite close visually given its limitations.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yes Boss! said:
It is painfully slow. Took me about two hours to get through half my 100-strong catalog. I wish there was an option to just download everything at once.

To celebrate the Storage Solution I bought Bit Trip Beats. Hopefully developers are going to see increased sales...I know I'll be buying more and playing more now on my Wii.
I bought Bit Trip Beats as well.... I LOVE WiiWare... you see original game styles on the other services as well (NobyNoby, Braid, etc) but you definitely have more of these types of games on Wii. Give a developer limited space (40MB), limited hardware, and the biggest install base of the generation and I guess you'll begin to see truly revolutionary game styles emerge.

I will say though... the game is ridiculously hard. If "core" gamers can get past the simplistic graphics of it, this is really the "high score challenge" of the year.

gkryhewy

I was pleased to discover that my old neglected 2GB Kingston SD card from the Wii launch timeframe works great after the new update. Even after the system update that improved transfer speeds, I was getting very very slow transfers. Transfers are still quite slow (maybe 30 seconds for 250-300 blocks?), but game starts from the SD card are pretty snappy - 10 seconds or less for N64 games and WW games I've tried. Looks like I don't need to buy a new card after all.

Agent Unknown said:
Nuclear Muffin: "Also how does Datana Twinbee TGCD compare to the arcade version? Would I be better off waiting for a Virtual Console Arcade release or is the TGCD version the way to go?"

It's actually a Hucard game not a CDROM title. It's a remake of the arcade game specifically tailored for the PC-Engine and is quite close visually given its limitations.

So are the levels significantly different or is it just a port. If so wouldn't the arcade version be the way to go if it has better visuals/sound/gameplay?

I know this is probably a really old issue but why is the special component mode in VC games (Operations Manual > Z + A + 2) so badly documented?

I was freaking out the other night because it seemed I had to get up and change the cables whenever I wanted to play Super Metroid or something... then after considerable google searching, I found that out.

:mad:

They should rework the emus in the VC channels to just detect a component connection or something. The Wii System Menu manages it!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
radioheadrule83 said:
I know this is probably a really old issue but why is the special component mode in VC games (Operations Manual > Z + A + 2) so badly documented?

I was freaking out the other night because it seemed I had to get up and change the cables whenever I wanted to play Super Metroid or something... then after considerable google searching, I found that out.

:mad:

They should rework the emus in the VC channels to just detect a component connection or something. The Wii System Menu manages it!
huh? are you referring to turning 480p off? Just curious. all of my VC games start up in 480p without requiring me to do anything.

Dave Long

Banned
He's referring to a problem that occurs on some televisions with Component cables. The TV basically loses sync or something like that and the video signal won't display. I have the issue with Neo Geo games on Virtual Console. I have to invoke that button combination to be able to play Baseball Stars 2. Of course when it's invoked, it messes up all my other VC games.

I don't think it's a universal problem though. It only occurs on certain TVs.

It's a problem mainly in PAL regions.

I still have a few games I can't play without swapping cables because of it. I'm still waiting for updates to:

Excitebike
Gradius
Kid Icarus
R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

All new games seem to be compatible, but there's still a few of the older titles out there that still need patching. Simply switching to 576i doesn't make any difference.

markatisu

borghe said:
huh? are you referring to turning 480p off? Just curious. all of my VC games start up in 480p without requiring me to do anything.

Some of the early NEO GEO games required this fix as well because they would not play over component properly.

I had to do the fix with Art of Fighting to get it to display on my Olevia 32" HD Unit

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
All right, you twisted my arm.

That's right fuckers, Konami now has seven whole dollars of my hard-earned money and I hold you lot responsible. I downloaded Detana! Twinbee without knowing shit about the game and I'm like completely hooked in with it. Just like ten minutes in I was like shit dude this is the easiest piss-poor game ever and then the game's difficulty suddenly ramps up? I'm like losing my men every single five minutes and it never feels like it was because the game cheats on me, but rather because I'm a lousy fucker who cannot dodge fast enough.

As if it were not bad enough that I actually paid real money for Konami product, the goddamn thing actually turns out to be enjoyable?

Humbug and Damned to the lot of you!

Wow, nice. The arcade games (at least Gaplus) have the sort of menu options we wish all VC games would have. The ability to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 and modify controls are pretty killer. Well, in theory; with a single action button there's not a lot of remapping to do.

Agent Unknown said:
Wow. So there's been an arcade emulator hiding in our systems for who knows how long?
There's not even an NES emulator hiding in there. Each download is completely independent and contains whatever necessary emulator files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom