• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netto-kun said:
The European Majora's Mask is 256 blocks. Downloading now.:D

Argh!!! We better be getting this on Monday (We'll get a better version anyway so nerr!!! :D)

Would you mind telling us if there are any emulation issues (Not that I'm worried but some are, seeing the disaster that was the GCN version!)

Also isn't it supposed to be a Wii Ware week for Europe?

MarkusRJR

hmm... what's a better way to spend 2000 Wii Points...

Onslaught + Megaman 9

World of Goo + Defend Your Castle (or Cave Story when it comes out; if it happens to be 500 Wii Points)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) + Punch Out!! (NES) + The Legend Zelda (NES)

Yaceka said:

Onslaught + Megaman 9

World of Goo + Defend Your Castle (or Cave Story when it comes out; if it happens to be 500 Wii Points)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) + Punch Out!! (NES) + The Legend Zelda (NES)

My vote is for option D: Megaman 9 + World of Goo

Somnid

I kinda like the one thread thing because it makes it easy to find every week. I can bookmark the thread and then when new stuff pops up it gets bumped. The one-a-week format doesn't work really well because the Nintendo Shop updates multiple times throughout the week, not just one day like PSN.

North America's updates go up Monday
Japan's goes up Tuesday
Japan's DSiWare goes up Wednesday
Europe updates Thursday
A lot of indirect confirmations usually come in on Friday

Because of this it's easier to have a single thread and try to update the outside with a title change or something. Also, I like the continuous discussion more because we occasionally go more in-depth and the week-to-week users are mostly whiners anyway. But as to the other thread this one is just as good and had Danthrax not got himself banned it would have worked okay. The other one isn't any better than the one we have now other than is advertises a merging of topics which was needed since none of the 4 services currently offer really need a single disscussion thread because they are too related.

Also, I think NOA might hold on to Majora's Mask for the 300th VC title or maybe Smash Bros.

Yaceka said:

Onslaught + Megaman 9

Majora's Mask is the greatest game of all time and the other two are amongst the best games of all time. That makes this one an easy choice!

schlew

Yaceka said:

Onslaught + Megaman 9

World of Goo and Defend Your Castle. DYC isn't the best title out there, but for 500 points, it's a fair deal.

But look around, you might find an NES game you'd prefer or something. River City Ransom is pretty good.

Another one game update! :(

I don't care how big the game is, when you're suppose to be supporting three platforms, releasing a single game is inexcusable.

Majora

Just finished playing MM up til the bit where you change back into Link. Game is still as weird, trippy and awesome as I remembered. Such a unique game.

Anyway I was specifically interested in the emulation considering the poor quality of the GC version and it's definitely better so far. The music transitions are still not completely smooth, again most noticeably around Clock Town where the music continuously streams even while new areas load, but it's pretty minor in comparison to the stuttering of the GC version. The framerate in Clock Town is also not as bad, at least not from what I can remember, I don't have the GC disc with MM on anymore.

I'm happy anyway, there are a few N64 games on the VC which have very minor sound hiccups like Mario 64 and F-Zero X while loading new levels and this is pretty much on that level.

Majora said:
Just finished playing MM up til the bit where you change back into Link. Game is still as weird, trippy and awesome as I remembered. Such a unique game.

Anyway I was specifically interested in the emulation considering the poor quality of the GC version and it's definitely better so far. The music transitions are still not completely smooth, again most noticeably around Clock Town where the music continuously streams even while new areas load, but it's pretty minor in comparison to the stuttering of the GC version. The framerate in Clock Town is also not as bad, at least not from what I can remember, I don't have the GC disc with MM on anymore.

I'm happy anyway, there are a few N64 games on the VC which have very minor sound hiccups like Mario 64 and F-Zero X while loading new levels and this is pretty much on that level.

As long as it doesn't fucking CRASH, I'll be happy.

I just cannot play 3D LoZ without a rumble-pak, especially this one, which uses it so well and so often. Yes, the game can crash (though, in my experience, only rarely), but I still recommend buying the Collector's Edition version of MM over the VC one. Even better, buy both. Rumble-pak, man. Rumble-pak.

TheGrayGhost said:
I just cannot play 3D LoZ without a rumble-pak, especially this one, which uses it so well and so often. Yes, the game can crash (though, in my experience, only rarely), but I still recommend buying the Collector's Edition version of MM over the VC one. Even better, buy both. Rumble-pak, man. Rumble-pak.

Any crash in a game where your primary method of saving is a suspend save (ie: it isn't hardsaved) is absolutely inexcusable.

Yaceka said:

Onslaught + Megaman 9

Do NOT get Defend Your Castle. I repeat, DO NOT GET IT. It's easily one of the worst games I've ever played. It's super repetitive, has no music, is just one game screen, takes forever to "finish", makes your hand cramp out in ten minutes due to you making the flick-upwards motion three times per second, has shitty enemies, is way to easy and is overall an absurdly shitty game. STAY THE FUCK AWAY!

That said, I just got Majora's Mask, and while they haven't bumped the game to 60 FPS, they have eliminated all the slowdown in at least Clock Town (still locked to 20 fps though), fixed the sound glitching and the save problems. The menu doesn't stutter either! YAY!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
FoxHimself said:
Do NOT get Defend Your Castle. I repeat, DO NOT GET IT. It's easily one of the worst games I've ever played. It's super repetitive, has no music, is just one game screen, takes forever to "finish", makes your hand cramp out in ten minutes due to you making the flick-upwards motion three times per second, has s enemies, is way to easy and is overall an absurdly s game.

Eh, I think it was fun enough for $5. The multiplayer mode adds to it. It's a simple little game, but it's fun.

DavidDayton said:
Eh, I think it was fun enough for $5. The multiplayer mode adds to it. It's a simple little game, but it's fun.

Seriously. It's nowhere deserving of "worst game ever." Yes, it does get repetitive, but it's fun while it lasts.

Anyway, I was just playing Rotohex, and I placed 8th on some top ten leader board. Is that an online leader board?

donny2112

Somnid said:
The one-a-week format doesn't work really well because the Nintendo Shop updates multiple times throughout the week, not just one day like PSN.

North America's updates go up Monday
Japan's goes up Tuesday
Japan's DSiWare goes up Wednesday
Europe updates Thursday
A lot of indirect confirmations usually come in on Friday

The PAL sales threads are updated multiple times through the week. The Media-Create thread gets one update after its initial posting, as well.

TheGrayGhost said:
Seriously. It's nowhere deserving of "worst game ever." Yes, it does get repetitive, but it's fun while it lasts.

Anyway, I was just playing Rotohex, and I placed 8th on some top ten leader board. Is that an online leader board?
No those are just preset scores for you to beat. You didn't think it was odd that every score was a multiple of ten?

Jiggy

Somnid said:
The other one isn't any better than the one we have now other than is advertises a merging of topics which was needed since none of the 4 services currently offer really need a single disscussion thread because they are too related.
I don't know what the fourth service you're talking about is, but VC and WiiWare aren't "too related" to DSiWare. In fact, because they're on different systems, I don't see how they're related at all.

Somnid

donny2112 said:
The PAL sales threads are updated multiple times through the week. The Media-Create thread gets one update after its initial posting, as well.

Yeah but we're talking nearly everyday. Also if the OP has to be updated eitherway then it might as well be a static thread. Dathranx's idea was to archive posts to get that one-thread-a-week feel but in this context it's pretty useless since it's cumulative, all the official websites have the info a day after release as well as any previous releases. Same with Wikipedia. This thread is useful only the day of release and for general news disscussion.

Jiggy said:
I don't know what the fourth service you're talking about is, but VC and WiiWare aren't "too related" to DSiWare. In fact, because they're on different systems, I don't see how they're related at all.

The fourth is Virtual Console Arcade which also has it's own official discussion topic (even though I feel it's not really seperate from VC) but it'll never get enough posts to gain a community and so it should be combined. I agree that DSiWare is a bit different but it's still to small for it's own threads I think. And if VC portable ever happens how to figure out how to group things will get difficult. As things are one thread is good.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nintendo Australia has just confirmed to me that the DSi Shop will be updated monthly like the Japanese store is.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
VOOK said:
Nintendo Australia has just confirmed to me that the DSi Shop will be updated monthly like the Japanese store is.

Meh ..... :-/
Come on their are 3rd Party Games waiting to be released - so we'll have to wait a month from now on for new games ? Pathetic.

VOOK

For now at least it looks like;

Also
- DSi Ware games now show up on Club Nintendo
- You can now link your Aussie Wii Account to your Club Nintendo in the settings.

VOOK

Infernal Monkey said:
One or two new games a month, here we come!

I'd say it is more like 4 or 5, a couple of 200 programs, a couple 500 (one Art Style/other), and a Premium. It's been like that for the Japanese Store.

VOOK

Lee N said:
It has been weekly the last couple of weeks.

Yeah but I'd say that's because of the third parties, but we'll see I hope it's not monthly :(

jepense

What, Majora? I don't remember when I last bought anything from the VC, but since I now have plenty of space, I was just thinking I should check what I've missed and get something. And here comes my favorite game ever. :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Any further update on Majora's Mask conversion issues? I'm holding off on buying it until I hear positive news through and through.

Dragona, where does it normally crash?

I got crashes in a few different places. I remember one in the field just outside of town and one inside town. Nothing repeatable. They seemed random.

TheGrayGhost said:

Defend Your Castle Wii is exactly the same game as Defend Your Castle Flash, just with better graphics and worse controls, which is free to play. Why spend 5 bucks on something that's free on the PC?

FoxHimself said:
Defend Your Castle Wii is exactly the same game as Defend Your Castle Flash, just with better graphics and worse controls, which is free to play. Why spend 5 bucks on something that's free on the PC?

Do you have any idea how many games that cost money on consoles are available for free on the PC?

Anyway, I have four wiimotes and only one mouse, so.

Netto-kun

Nuclear Muffin said:
Would you mind telling us if there are any emulation issues (Not that I'm worried but some are, seeing the disaster that was the GCN version!)
I took a break from playing after saving for the very first time. Didn't notice any emulation issues with the game while running around in Clock Town.

Hobbun

BobJustBob said:
I got crashes in a few different places. I remember one in the field just outside of town and one inside town. Nothing repeatable. They seemed random.

You mean you have crashed already playing the VC version?

Hobbun said:
You mean you have crashed already playing the VC version?

I think he was responding to SovanJedi's question about if there was anywhere the game regularly crashes, so I'm pretty sure BobJustBob is referencing the Collector's Edition version.

Majora

I've played up til the start of the Swamp Temple now and the only emulation issues I can see are very very occasional sound stuttering or crackling, normally when a new area or cutscene has to load. No framerate issues, no freezes so far. And the pause/inventory screen doesn't have that sticky pause I remember from OOT.

Majora said:
I've played up til the start of the Swamp Temple now and the only emulation issues I can see are very very occasional sound stuttering or crackling, normally when a new area or cutscene has to load. No framerate issues, no freezes so far. And the pause/inventory screen doesn't have that sticky pause I remember from OOT.
Same here. There are very few occasions where the sound stutters a little, but other than that the emulation seems fine.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
god, release majora's mask in the u.s. on monday please. my collector's disc froze on my twice this week and i don't have the heart to do it anymore.

How are the controls of MM this time? I never had a N64, so I first tried the game on my cubes special dvd. I could not stand the controls after playing Windwaker so I stopped playing.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
donny2112 said:
We still can.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709

I think a new thread each week makes the most sense, though. We don't keep a huge, endlessly running Media-Create thread, after all. Same with the weekly PAL sales thread. In each of those threads, there's a standard format that includes linking to the past few threads for reference, as well. We just need someone to create a format that's easily repeatable, and then start a new thread each week.

We could just start a new thread every year.

Or someone could go revive http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709

donny2112 said:
I think a new thread each week makes the most sense, though. We don't keep a huge, endlessly running Media-Create thread, after all. Same with the weekly PAL sales thread. In each of those threads, there's a standard format that includes linking to the past few threads for reference, as well. We just need someone to create a format that's easily repeatable, and then start a new thread each week.

Something like this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NINTENDO DOWNLOADABLE RELEASES - WEEK 14 2009

Virtual Console

The Virtual Console catalogue is updated weekly in Japan and the United States, and fortnightly in Europe and Australasia. Updates are on Tuesday, Monday and Thursday respectively.

Japan
Example release (NES / 500 points)
Example release (N64 / 500 points)

US
Super Punch-Out!! (Super Nes / 800 points)

Europe/Australasia
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 / 1000 points)

WiiWare

The WiiWare catalogue is updated weekly in Japan and the United States, and fortnightly in Europe and Australasia. Updates are on Tuesday, Monday and Thursday respectively. WiiWare updates alternate with Virtual Console updates in Europe and Australasia.

Japan
Example release (500 points)
Example release (1000 points)

US
Bonsai Barber (1000 points)

Europe/Australasia
No releases.

DSiWare

The DSiWare catalogue is updated weekly in Japan (when in the US?) and monthly (?) in Europe and Australasia. Updates are on Wednesday, (?) and (?) respectively.

[bJapan[/b]
Example release (200 points)

US
No releases.

Europe/Australasia
Example release (Free)
Example release (200 points)

Miscellaneous

Nintendo will occasionally make new Channels available through the Wii Shop, or update the system firmware of the Wii and DSi with new features. These updates and others will be listed here, for example:

Japan
Today And Tomorrow’s Lucky Fortune Telling Channel (Free)
Wii System Update 4.0

US
Wii System Update 4.0

Europe/Australasia
Wii System Update 4.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It obviously needs tweaking presentation-wise, and the title is a placeholder, but something like that - clean, clear and straightforward, in a format that can be copied by anyone should a regular be banned or give up posting, would be what I'd plump for. It can be updated through the week, it won't get unnecessarily bloated and it should hopefully be more like the MC/ PAL charts/boxart/weekly US release threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom