• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread: Dream Team Edition

Rorschach said:
Sounds like the defense isn't as shitty as advertised!

no it can work for you, it's just you can't really get by on scheme alone anymore. i hate saying shit like that because i have only played maybe 15 games but in years past i could basically call a vanilla base D and get by (not that i always did, but i could). can't really do that this year.... or i haven't been able to.

you really can't have it both ways to be honest. if you are going to commit to stopping the run, you can get easily burned by a good qb. if you are going to commit to coverage, you can get gouged in the run game. i also noticed that using the LB/DL shifts helps A LOT.

as far as coverage, playing your zones inside or out is very effective. i prevented this doucher from getting into FG range before the half when he had no timeouts by adjusting my zones to play towards the sideline as a pre-snap adjustment.

we'll see. i'm definitely enjoying the game a lot more playing again a league player over randoms. i can't stress enough though that the difference between a really good player and an average player is greater than ever in this game. and you are heavily rewarded for being good on the sticks.... of which i am not!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
no it can work for you, it's just you can't really get by on scheme alone anymore. i hate saying shit like that because i have only played maybe 15 games but in years past i could basically call a vanilla base D and get by (not that i always did, but i could). can't really do that this year.... or i haven't been able to.

you really can't have it both ways to be honest. if you are going to commit to stopping the run, you can get easily burned by a good qb. if you are going to commit to coverage, you can get gouged in the run game. i also noticed that using the LB/DL shifts helps A LOT.

as far as coverage, playing your zones inside or out is very effective. i prevented this doucher from getting into FG range before the half when he had no timeouts by adjusting my zones to play towards the sideline as a pre-snap adjustment.

we'll see. i'm definitely enjoying the game a lot more playing again a league player over randoms.
Some of this actually sounds cool. You made me anxious to get my hands on it. :p I haven't really been feeling it for Madden.

i can't stress enough though that the difference between a really good player and an average player is greater than ever in this game. and you are heavily rewarded for being good on the sticks.... of which i am not!
:( I am doomed. Between this and having the worst team on paper, it's gonna be even more of an uphill battle for me.

Rorschach said:
Some of this actually sounds cool. You made me anxious to get my hands on it. :p I haven't really been feeling it for Madden.

:( I am doomed. Between this and having the worst team on paper, it's gonna be even more of an uphill battle for me.

i make no guarantees! you'll probably take the same rollercoaster ride i did, but i think if everyone sticks with it they will find an enjoyable game. one thing i do love is that the clock keeps on ticking, unlike in college! you can easily get into fg range in NCAA with a minute left and no timeouts. really makes the value of timeouts worthless in ncaa since the clock stops at every first down and the offense is ALWAYS able to make it to the line before the clock runs again.

oh, and about that review earlier in the thread..... if that guy didn't get something from EA then holy shit i don't know what to say

Completely forgot about the snake draft last night, woke up yesterday and almost set an alarm for it too. My bad, Rors. Team didn't turn out too terrible at least.

Mine arrives tomorrow.

asdad123

My amazon copy hasn't even shipped out yet and I had release date delivery. They said it's because of the hurricane.

Anyone else in the north east get their order delayed?

BigAT

asdad123 said:
My amazon copy hasn't even shipped out yet and I had release date delivery. They said it's because of the hurricane.

It looks like mine has been as well. I got an email this morning saying it hadn't shipped yet, but should today. I suppose it doesn't really matter since I don't even have power to play it yet.

eznark

Banned
So I listened to Bill Abner talk about the game on Jumping the Shark and he also mentioned a ton of missing player names and weird audio oversights. Some of the stuff you guys specifically said was added.

I'm thinking that the reviewers might have gotten slightly out of date code, or missed a patch or something? Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed that it isn't as completely broken v. AI as Abner makes it out to be.

300 yards per game rushing with Hillis on All-Pro? Ugh.

Also, that season pass thing kind of kills the fun of Maddenoliday. Bring back those commercials. This shit with the fawkin' Ben Affleck impersonatah is friggin' weeeeeak bro.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:

we'll see. i'm definitely enjoying the game a lot more playing again a league player over randoms. i can't stress enough though that the difference between a really good player and an average player is greater than ever in this game. and you are heavily rewarded for being good on the sticks.... of which i am not!

I will cosign this. When I played Smokey last night it was either sell out and stop Foster or sell out and stop the passing game, there is little in between. Like FMT said the DL/LB adjustments at the LOS make a huge difference and if you guess wrong you're going to get screwed up.

I've seen an increase in the number of sacks I'm taking. I think the animations were tweaked to get rid of the ridiculous number of incompletions when QBs were hit. A lot of those are now sacks. Similarly, is it just me or is DL play much tougher? My sacks generated are moreso from scheming than from being able to beat the OL.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yeah, you need almost an extra half second to get off a pass now, especially when you're out of the pocket being chased.

eznark said:
So I listened to Bill Abner talk about the game on Jumping the Shark and he also mentioned a ton of missing player names and weird audio oversights. Some of the stuff you guys specifically said was added.

I'm thinking that the reviewers might have gotten slightly out of date code, or missed a patch or something? Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed that it isn't as completely broken v. AI as Abner makes it out to be.

300 yards per game rushing with Hillis on All-Pro? Ugh.

Also, that season pass thing kind of kills the fun of Maddenoliday. Bring back those commercials. This shit with the fawkin' Ben Affleck impersonatah is friggin' weeeeeak bro.

This is the first sports game that I have ever turned the commentary off. It's one thing to be repetitive but I can ignore that if it somewhat realistically follows the action on the field but the audio in this Madden is so disjointed, it's really jarring.

I even heard the stadium announcer declare that the defense scored a TD when in fact, it was my offense. Hope the audio finally gets a huge makeover next year, it needs it. Even the on field sound effects are stale.

I'm starting to get used to the gameplay and it's growing on me.

Morn

Banned
I played the early release version on the PS3 and was PISSED that they removed the NFL films menu music. Is it back on the disc version? (still waiting for UPS with my copy)

Nightz

I should've taken today off from work.

On another note, I was playing my offline franchise and noticed that Bob Sanders' "role" is Injury Prone LOL. He's a beast in the game, but I'm sure he'll be knocked out for the season the first game of our OF.

mik

mik is unbeatable
eznark said:
I (and everyone else I know who reviewed it) got the retail disc.

eznark

Banned
mik said:
I (and everyone else I know who reviewed it) got the retail disc.

Was there a patch ready when you started it up? Just seems like there are weird differences.

This is the first sports game that I have ever turned the commentary off.
I almost never have the audio on for sports games. Generally I watch baseball or something on my laptop/ipad when playing sports games.

mik

mik is unbeatable
There was a roster update and a patch available as soon as I got it. And there was one more patch and one more roster update before the early download version went up. What are the differences you're seeing?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
madden 12 franchise site is up now, not sure if league manager is ready though, I linked a franchise to it and the rosters seem all mixed up.

DCX

DCX
levious said:
madden 12 franchise site is up now, not sure if league manager is ready though, I linked a franchise to it and the rosters seem all mixed up.
link?

DCX

eznark

Banned
mik said:
There was a roster update and a patch available as soon as I got it. And there was one more patch and one more roster update before the early download version went up. What are the differences you're seeing?

I haven't played it, so it might just be people explaining stuff differently. The big one was names/situations missing. Kat Bailey said that they are missing specific player names (big names, like starting QB's) and Abner said that during his playoff game (including pre-game) the announcers never acknowledged it was a playoff game.

Seems incredibly sloppy. Unfortunately I thought the game was coming out last week and moved all my Tuesday meetings from last week to today so I won't know for hours!!

eznark said:
I haven't played it, so it might just be people explaining stuff differently. The big one was names/situations missing. Kat Bailey said that they are missing specific player names (big names, like starting QB's) and Abner said that during his playoff game (including pre-game) the announcers never acknowledged it was a playoff game.

Seems incredibly sloppy. Unfortunately I thought the game was coming out last week and moved all my Tuesday meetings from last week to today so I won't know for hours!!

Missing starting qbs? Like who? I havent played every team but i havent noticed anyone big missing

eznark

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
Missing starting qbs? Like who? I havent played every team but i havent noticed anyone big missing

Not missing as in not in the game, missing as in "Here comes the quarterback" instead of "Here comes Orton"

However, someone said earlier that he was indeed mentioned by name, which is why I was wondering about versions/patches.

Striker

Nightz said:
I should've taken today off from work.

On another note, I was playing my offline franchise and noticed that Bob Sanders' "role" is Injury Prone LOL. He's a beast in the game, but I'm sure he'll be knocked out for the season the first game of our OF.
I just picked it up, I'll have to see Bob's INJ rating. But it depends! I had insane rook OLB Josh Sneed back in Madden '10 and his INJ rating was in the low 60's or 50's I believe. Never missed a game.

Nightz

eznark said:
Not missing as in not in the game, missing as in "Here comes the quarterback" instead of "Here comes Orton"

However, someone said earlier that he was indeed mentioned by name, which is why I was wondering about versions/patches.
From my time playing, it seems inconsistent...like there are some specific situations that trigger the announcers saying the actual name. Can't cite any specific examples, but there were times where a player was called by his number throughout the game, but after he made a big play or when they would make a comment about him they would use his name.

Ichigo

asdad123 said:

Mine too got delayed.

Nightz

levious said:
The developer for League Manager is still at work. He said it'll be up later today.

Striker said:
I just picked it up, I'll have to see Bob's INJ rating. But it depends! I had insane rook OLB Josh Sneed back in Madden '10 and his INJ rating was in the low 60's or 50's I believe. Never missed a game.
Yeah I'm on week 9 of my offline franchise and Bob hasn't missed a game yet. He's all over the field so he's gotten injured a bunch of times, but only for a few plays. Just hoping he holds up this well in our OF.

Striker

Nightz said:
Yeah I'm on week 9 of my offline franchise and Bob hasn't missed a game yet. He's all over the field so he's gotten injured a bunch of times, but only for a few plays. Just hoping he holds up this well in our OF.
Bob's INJ is 45. :lol :lol

Browsing through Browns roster now. Hmm...

mik

mik is unbeatable
Nightz said:
From my time playing, it seems inconsistent...like there are some specific situations that trigger the announcers saying the actual name. Can't cite any specific examples, but there were times where a player was called by his number throughout the game, but after he made a big play or when they would make a comment about him they would use his name.
That's been my experience as well.

The presentation stuff is just dumb. I noticed when setting up a game, you could select "Exhibition, Super Bowl, or Holiday" for the presentation option. I thought holiday would be pretty neat, so I chose that. All it does--LITERALLY--is put the words "Happy Holidays" under the score in green and red. Amazing stuff there.

Yes, Virginia, this is kind of fucked:

W9uXBl.jpg

Sanjuro

I love how the Madden soundtrack fully simulates "that guy" that pulls up to you at the light. Bass booming, spoiler on his Nissan/Mitsubishi, and oozing douchebaggery.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I love how the Madden soundtrack fully simulates "that guy" that pulls up to you at the light. Bass booming, spoiler on his Nissan/Mitsubishi, and oozing douchebaggery.

Aw, it will make me nostalgic for Mattapan.

Morn

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

In previous years I would disable all the music in the menus except the NFL Films tracks. Pisses me off that they removed those this year.

eznark said:

Ahh, I think I see where the confusion is....both the stadium announcer and the commentators are missing some stuff but not necessarily the same names. The commentators might say the name but the stadium announcer (i.e. during the intros) will not.

I'm pretty sure the stadium announcer said here comes the quarterback instead of Charlie Whitehurst when I played at Seattle.

mik said:
Aaaand now we have a first down... ... annnnd ten to go.

*shudders*

Also, authentic entrances my ass. Only announcing the top two players on either offense or defense? Only 11 guys on the field to greet them, where'd the rest of the team go?

That's what bugs me the most about the Madden team, anytime they add something like this, it's almost always half-assed.

mik

mik is unbeatable
My absolute favorite is at the end of the game when it cuts to the cinematic of the refs and players on the sideline--they're all standing perfectly still... then the animation kicks in and they start walking to the middle of the field. It's absurd--just cut to that when they're already moving, dopes!

mik said:
My absolute favorite is at the end of the game when it cuts to the cinematic of the refs and players on the sideline--they're all standing perfectly still... then the animation kicks in and they start walking to the middle of the field. It's absurd--just cut to that when they're already moving, dopes!

My punter tried to walk over to the Carolina sideline after a kick the other night.

bluemax

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

Having met the guy who picks the music for Madden, this doesn't surprise me in the least.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
asdad123 said:

Same here, but I am in Houston so can't blame it on Irene. Maybe the truck melted in all this heat.

Top Bottom