• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread OT2 Mr Peyton Goes To Washington

McNei1y

yeah. maybe tomorrow. i already did a 12 minute Q gauntlet with Pheeknicks tonight

Daaaamn. 12 minutes? What was the final? 10 min. is the longest I've played but yesterday's was my first since back in like 2k8-2k9 days when they had that "hardcore" option. I used to roll with the best Big 3 then (Gilbert, Butler, and Jamison).

Anyway, I'm definitely down for tomorrow.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
98-95 i think. I fouled out Lebron in the 4th and Wade was playing with 5. Mamba dropped 45

Smokey

12 min quarters is actually fun. Not as long as it sounds. Me and pheeniks did a best of 7 series with those settings. Actually have to be aware of fouls and subs for the most part.

Mrbob

GG Bob. Brees was a perfect 13/13 (although 2 of those could've been knocked down at least), and my defense was pretty much lights out.

I only made a couple of minor changes in the offseason, but I love how my team is playing this season.

Yeah I got dumped on that game like I was possessed by FMT. Couldn't do anything right on offense or defense!

eznark

Banned
Levious, does 8:30 tonight work for you? I ended up having to go out to the sticks today (you know it's bad when a guy who lives in a town of 200 calls it the sticks!) and won't be home til like 7.

Also, Luke, you're like a master code breaker. Bravo.

DCX

DCX
Mini 2k tourney. 12 min. Dooooo it!

Live tonight would be fine..I'll pay for it tomorrow. If you are 100% sure you can play tonight let me know..I'd hate to stay up for nothing.

DCX

LukeSmith

Levious, does 8:30 tonight work for you? I ended up having to go out to the sticks today (you know it's bad when a guy who lives in a town of 200 calls it the sticks!) and won't be home til like 7.

Also, Luke, you're like a master code breaker. Bravo.

Congrats dude

Browns guy, I can play tomorrow night. :p

sounds good, I'll be on around 7pm est, maybe earlier.

Live, we play next week and I'm wondering what time would be good for you?

DCX

Mastershake u gon be round tonight?

I'm free tonight. Tomorrow night after 9 Pacific. Thursday night around 7 Pacific.

Trasher can you play tonight after the advance?

Yep, after the gym so 430pst... Wanna do two games back to back? I need a fill in for the bills anyways

Eznark, if it advances, could you play twice tonight?

YesJackNicholson.gif

TheCrow

Oh also I beat ME3 last night.... interesting choice on bioware/eas part.

Eatchildren brought up an interesting point a couple days ago, saying that Mass Effect didn't feel like it was developed with a trilogy in mind, at least story-wise. Every game's major plot is self contained and the only aspects that carry over are rather minor in the grand scheme of things.

eznark

Banned
Eatchildren brought up an interesting point a couple days ago, saying that Mass Effect didn't feel like it was developed with a trilogy in mind, at least story-wise. Every game's major plot is self contained and the only aspects that carry over are rather minor in the grand scheme of things.

It was certainly designed as a trilogy, BioWare just has shitty writers.

LiveWire

Mini 2k tourney. 12 min. Dooooo it!

Live tonight would be fine..I'll pay for it tomorrow. If you are 100% sure you can play tonight let me know..I'd hate to stay up for nothing.

DCX

Yea I'll be home by 6:30PM Pacific, is that too late?

McNei1y

It was certainly designed as a trilogy, BioWare just has shitty writers.

I agree with both points. It felt like it was made for a trilogy but that it wasn't written with a good, complete, final direction. ME1 wouldn't have mentioned that
Sovereign was a reaper and that they are a race of synthetics, yadda yadda yadda
if it wasn't going to be a trilogy or at least have a follow up. However, ME2 felt more like an expansion pack than a sequel to the plot. It was still pretty well written, IMO.

Anyways, I have to think about it but this may have been my favorite series. Halo and Half Life are awesome but this was just soo good.

LukeSmith

The reason it probably feels that way, is because they were probably challenged to make sure that someone could pick up the second one without presupposing that players had the knowledge or experience from the first one.

I imagine there's pressure from the publishing side to make sure "each one has more players than the other" which really only exacerbates the story problem you're describing.

Tough problem for them to solve.

LiveWire

The reason it probably feels that way, is because they were probably challenged to make sure that someone could pick up the second one without presupposing that players had the knowledge or experience from the first one.

I imagine there's pressure from the publishing side to make sure "each one has more players than the other" which really only exacerbates the story problem you're describing.

Gears of War 2 didn't bother to explain part 1 did it? Pretty much picked up right after part 1. I haven't played Gears 3 so I don't know if it gave a recap of the first two. Poor excuse if you ask me.

Someone at Bioware (or EA?) issued the decree that the game be changed to be more of a shooter like Gears or Halo after the first one sold good, but not gangbusters. I mean, come on, the TV commercial for part 3? I was expecting "FINISH THE FIGHT" to appear. Um, I already saved Urf with Master Chief, why am I doing it with Shepard now?

Wasn't the point of Mass Effect about exploring the galaxy with conversational dialogue with decisions that truly change the storyline? Only one game has done that well--Alpha Protocol. And no one knows about it. Because of people like the guy who decreed that Mass Effect gets turned into a shooter.

LukeSmith

Gears of War 2 didn't bother to explain part 1 did it? Pretty much picked up right after part 1. I haven't played Gears 3 so I don't know if it gave a recap of the first two. Poor excuse if you ask me.

Someone at Bioware (or EA?) issued the decree that the game be changed to be more of a shooter like Gears or Halo after the first one sold good, but not gangbusters. I mean, come on, the TV commercial for part 3? I was expecting "FINISH THE FIGHT" to appear. Um, I already saved Urf with Master Chief, why am I doing it with Shepard now?

Wasn't the point of Mass Effect about exploring the galaxy with conversational dialogue with decisions that truly change the storyline? Only one game has done that well--Alpha Protocol. And no one knows about it. Because of people like the guy who decreed that Mass Effect gets turned into a shooter.

I really can't speak to the high level directional changes in Mass Effect, and I shouldn't really speculate as to why the franchise has evolved the way it has. It has certainly become more of a shooter - and it's become a steadily more capable shooter in each iteration - over the years.

What I will say, is that I felt like after attempting to establish a broad and expansive universe in the first two games, it feels extremely myopic to put the story's fulcrum on Saving Earth.

TheCrow

I agree with both points. It felt like it was made for a trilogy but that it wasn't written with a good, complete, final direction. ME1 wouldn't have mentioned that
Sovereign was a reaper and that they are a race of synthetics, yadda yadda yadda
if it wasn't going to be a trilogy or at least have a follow up. However, ME2 felt more like an expansion pack than a sequel to the plot. It was still pretty well written, IMO.

Anyways, I have to think about it but this may have been my favorite series. Halo and Half Life are awesome but this was just soo good.
That ending was too disappointing for me and I was really looking forward to it since recently replaying ME1. But the problem is that there wasn't any conclusion.

Yeah, I completely understand why they wrote it that way. It just leaves me more frustrated in how they had the potential to create a story with multiple arcs across 3 games. Instead we get the reapers over and over again.

There's only 3 games left, if they're not done by tonight, SIMIT.
Guess me and Smokey should play. Let me know when smokey, anytime after 5 cst should be fine.

McNei1y

I really can't speak to the high level directional changes in Mass Effect, and I shouldn't really speculate as to why the franchise has evolved the way it has. It has certainly become more of a shooter - and it's become a steadily more capable shooter in each iteration - over the years.

What I will say, is that I felt like after attempting to establish a broad and expansive universe in the first two games, it feels extremely myopic to put the story's fulcrum on Saving Earth.
Totally agree. The last moments contradict the plot of the series.

LukeSmith

Heads up to Goldy and Sanjo, I'm crunching at work - and will be for the next few weeks - which means I'm working from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Pacific during the week.

Ideally, I'll be able to play both games in back-to-back days on the weekend, pending the advance schedule or I could play once I'm home during the week. But I know that's late as fuck East Coast time

Top Bottom