• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBOX 360 Madden 2009 Season 2.5 Thread: RROD SCARE US!!

Nightz

Is sable back? I checked my friends list on Xbox.com before leaving for work and saw that he was signed in this morning.

Nightz

I think a picture would best describe what I want to say...

28arq00.jpg

So yeah, I'll be needing subs while I am without my 360. I'll be calling Microsoft tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll get it back soon. :\

Nightz

I remembered something this morning! I bought this piece of junk at Best Buy and bought the replacement plan along with it. So I can just take it in to Best Buy and they'll give me a new one right? I've heard reports about some Best Buys being jerks and making you send it in instead of replacing it right away...is there any truth to them?

AirBrian

Nightz said:
I remembered something this morning! I bought this piece of junk at Best Buy and bought the replacement plan along with it. So I can just take it in to Best Buy and they'll give me a new one right? I've heard reports about some Best Buys being jerks and making you send it in instead of replacing it right away...is there any truth to them?
I have personally exchanged a RROD at Best Buy with the PRP and had no issues whatsoever. In fact, I got Forza 2 and Ultimate Alliance for free since it was the current bundle!

Nightz

Good to know. You have to bring in all the cables and stuff that came in the box right? And do you get to keep your old hard drive?

AirBrian

Nightz said:
Good to know. You have to bring in all the cables and stuff that came in the box right? And do you get to keep your old hard drive?
Yeah, bring all your cables.

And the HDD is hit or miss. I was forced to return it as well, but a buddy was able to keep his one time, so YMMV.

Somnia

Nightz said:

90% of the time they make you return your HDD...I'd beg them to switch the hd's though and see what they say.

Birdman02

Nightz said:

I've had to return 2 to Best Buy....the 1st time they made me switch hard drives, the 2nd I got to keep my old one. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

AirBrian

What do you guys think?

The current 4th down rules are:
* FOURTH DOWN ATTEMPT RULES!!!

Going for it on 4th down is not allowed except under the following scenarios:

1. In either half, in your opponent’s territory, 4th-1 or 4th-inches, if you’re winning by 7 or less points or losing.
2. In the 3rd quarter, anywhere, if you’re losing by 14 or more points.
3. In the 4th quarter, anywhere, if you’re losing by any amount.
http://www.leaguedaddy.com/leagues/rules/?lid=2210

So here's the scenario...

Team A has the ball on their own 38 yard line with just over 2 minutes left in the game and all 3 timeouts. The game is tied (and is a low-scoring game). Team A has a 4th and 1, should they be allowed to go for it?

Somnia

AirBrian said:
What do you guys think?

Team A has the ball on their own 38 yard line with just over 2 minutes left in the game and all 3 timeouts. The game is tied (and is a low-scoring game). Team A has a 4th and 1, should they be allowed to go for it?

Tie game? Hell yes they should be allowed to go for it if they want to risk that much.

BigAT

I think I'd allow it in the scenario you described above. The risk involved with the decision is enough to warrant allowing going for it on fourth. If you don't get it, there's a pretty solid chance you're losing if the other player handles it right. The risk might even outweigh the reward.

woodchuck

AirBrian said:
What do you guys think?

i'm not too thrilled for allowing people to go for it because in the nfl, i can think of only one coach who went for it in that situation (barry switzer).

daw840

The risk.reward in that situation is huge. I think that it should be allowed, however, money plays such as the FB dive and the QB sneak should be disallowed in this situation.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
daw840 said:
The risk.reward in that situation is huge. I think that it should be allowed, however, money plays such as the FB dive and the QB sneak should be disallowed in this situation.
Yeah because if you go to defend the fb dive everything else is open.

I dunno, personally i think at somepoint it should come down to "whats really going on here?" I know so many situations where One team is outplaying the piss out of the other through 3 quarters. However the score might only be 14-0. If its 4th and 3 on their own 40 yard line, sometimes you just HAVE to go for it to get momentum in your favor. I'm not saying by any means cheese, but in all reality both players know the situation.

If you're the guy up, you know you're winning both sides of the ball. It should be in the rights of that other player to make the decision at some point.

I know there is no way to make a rule on this because people would abuse it, but come on...

Slo

GG Mr Stroke. The tackling was HORRID on both sides. I gave the ball away too many times, and you did a good job getting an early lead.

mr stroke

SLO you S.O.B.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
fuck me :(

up by 14 points in the 1st quarter and Packers blow it on defence..WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
its like SLO's little brother was playing then he decided the fun was over and took back the controller....

damn it :(

Slo

AirBrian said:

As others have said, that scenario is decent enough in the risk/reward category that I would think about going for it. I think the reason for the rule is that it's often not as hard to pick up a 4th and 1 in Madden as it is in real life.

Going for it in the situation should take some massive cojones. I mean big brass ones. If it's just automatic first down if you call a QB sneak or a FB dive, then we need to enforce the rule.

Nightz

Got a new 360 and was able to keep my hard drive. Plus I got a console with a quiet DVD drive. Now it doesn't sounds like a leaf blower when I play Madden. All is right with the world. :D

Somnia

Nightz said:
Got a new 360 and was able to keep my hard drive. Plus I got a console with a quiet DVD drive. Now it doesn't sounds like a leaf blower when I play Madden. All is right with the world. :D

Awesome man =)

daw840

vumpler said:
Yeah because if you go to defend the fb dive everything else is open.

I dunno, personally i think at somepoint it should come down to "whats really going on here?" I know so many situations where One team is outplaying the piss out of the other through 3 quarters. However the score might only be 14-0. If its 4th and 3 on their own 40 yard line, sometimes you just HAVE to go for it to get momentum in your favor. I'm not saying by any means cheese, but in all reality both players know the situation.

If you're the guy up, you know you're winning both sides of the ball. It should be in the rights of that other player to make the decision at some point.

I know there is no way to make a rule on this because people would abuse it, but come on...

The only way to defend the FB dive or QB sneak is a goal line defens and jam middle. Even then they usually pick up a couple of yards. As soon as your opponent sees you in goal line defense they will audible into a quick pass for a TD, if they are smart.

edit: Calling a pass or regular HB run would take some major cajones. I think we should just outlaw FB and QB dives in that particular situation. Not in all situations, just 4th down in your own territory situations. But, that might be a little too much micromanaging of games. IDK.

mr stroke

daw840 said:
The only way to defend the FB dive or QB sneak is a goal line defens and jam middle. Even then they usually pick up a couple of yards. As soon as your opponent sees you in goal line defense they will audible into a quick pass for a TD, if they are smart.

edit: Calling a pass or regular HB run would take some major cajones. I think we should just outlaw FB and QB dives in that particular situation. Not in all situations, just 4th down in your own territory situations. But, that might be a little too much micromanaging of games. IDK.

way too much micromanaging IMO.
QB sneak and FB dive is not 100% I have been stopped and stopped others in that situation many of times.

Birdman02

AirBrian said:
What do you guys think?

In a video game, I'm sure most guys would go for it in that situation...especially with how easy it is to convert with a FB dive or QB sneak. In the NFL, I can't think of any coaches that would go for it there...especially in a low-scoring defensive battle with 3 timeouts left. I, for one, would punt without a second thought because I trust my defense to get me the ball back.....and it's pretty much a guaranteed loss if you don't convert.

That said....according to the rules currently in place, you can only go for it in your own territory if you are losing.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
mr stroke said:
way too much micromanaging IMO.
QB sneak and FB dive is not 100% I have been stopped and stopped others in that situation many of times.
How is it "way too much miromanaging?" Its removing 2 overly high percentage plays on tough situations.

Yes QB sneak and FB dive can be stopped. I can stop them every time if I know its coming. That's why Daw and my point is so important. QB sneak and FB dive are exponentially harder to defend once the other player knows you can stop them. Because then its just a quick audible to the flats, or deep, or quick slant and its a guaranteed first down then too.

In other words, if you eliminate QB sneak and FB dive from 4th down situations that aren't on the goal line, the risk goes back up to a sim like level.

BigAT

Looks like Week 5 is unlocked.

So what's the deal with Birdbomb? Is he getting the boot for his "performance" against Daw or what?

AirBrian

woodchuck said:
i'm not too thrilled for allowing people to go for it because in the nfl, i can think of only one coach who went for it in that situation (barry switzer).
This is my problem. First of all, except for Switzer, I've never seen a coach go for it in that situation with the game on the line like that. For that reason alone, I like the way the current rules are.

Second, even if you do go for it, Madden does NOT simulate 4th-1 situations like real life. The D has to worry about the cheap FB dive play and the even cheaper QB sneak plays, which right there throws off any kind of real defensive play calling because you're basically trying to defend the against the other team and the game's cheap plays.

And the FB dive play was not run in this situation, which complicates matters even more. :lol

Birdman02 said:
That said....according to the rules currently in place, you can only go for it in your own territory if you are losing.
Birdman02 said:
Birdman02 said:
And here's where I'm going next. I understand Team A's reasoning for going for it, but the current rules forbit it, so this should not have even been an issue in the first place.

Do we know what the deal is with bonsevan?

Also, I sent a message to you, TCVR0D and Classic Gs. Let's get our games in. There needs to be more two-way communication in this league, guys!

AirBrian

dammitmattt said:
Do we know what the deal is with bonsevan?

Also, I sent a message to you, TCVR0D and Classic Gs. Let's get our games in. There needs to be more two-way communication in this league, guys!
We're subbing for bons.

AirBrian

Also, if you guys want to upload and PM me your top play from your game, I'm going to
steal the PS3 league's idea and
add a top play of the week to the weekly awards.

Nightz

AB what does your schedule look like to play our Week 5 game?

And does anyone know for sure when sable will be back? I'd like to get my week 4 game in with him, but I might need a sub.

Birdman02

Slo said:
BirdMan, when would you be able to get our game in?

Well, I'm not working this afternoon, so I'm available from noon-2:30 CST (I have to pick my son up at 3:30, so we'd have to be done by then).

Not sure about tonight...my wife mentioned wanting to go out, so I might not be home. Saturday night (anytime after 8:30pm) would probably be the best for me. What's your schedule look like?

Slo

Birdman02 said:
Well, I'm not working this afternoon, so I'm available from noon-2:30 CST (I have to pick my son up at 3:30, so we'd have to be done by then).

Not sure about tonight...my wife mentioned wanting to go out, so I might not be home. Saturday night (anytime after 8:30pm) would probably be the best for me. What's your schedule look like?

I'm at work today, so this afternoon won't work. I'll be home tommorrow night. Is that 8:30 PST?

AirBrian

Nightz said:
AB what does your schedule look like to play our Week 5 game?

And does anyone know for sure when sable will be back? I'd like to get my week 4 game in with him, but I might need a sub.
I won't be around tonight, but I should be around during the day tomorrow before the Texas game (which is at 7PM I think). Sunday should work too except during the Bears' game. What's your schedule like?

Birdman02

Slo said:
I'm at work today, so this afternoon won't work. I'll be home tommorrow night. Is that 8:30 PST?

It was actually CST, but I forgot about the Texas-Mizzou game. 10:30-11:00 CST should give me enough time to get home after watching the game...is that good for you?

Slo

Birdman02 said:
It was actually CST, but I forgot about the Texas-Mizzou game. 10:30-11:00 CST should give me enough time to get home after watching the game...is that good for you?

Sounds good. We should both be equally drunk by then!

Classic_Gs said:
I ended up selling my copy of Madden for Dead Space.

Hey, thanks for committing and then leaving us hanging buddy!

Nightz

AirBrian said:
I won't be around tonight, but I should be around during the day tomorrow before the Texas game (which is at 7PM I think). Sunday should work too except during the Bears' game. What's your schedule like?
Fridays are usually bad for me so it's cool. Saturdays I'm usually out all day, but I get on around 6pm pacific time. Sundays I'm kinda in and out of the house, but I should be around for a couple of hours in the afternoon after the Chargers game (which is the same time as the Bears game I believe) and then at night around 7pm PST.

AirBrian

Nightz said:
Fridays are usually bad for me so it's cool. Saturdays I'm usually out all day, but I get on around 6pm pacific time. Sundays I'm kinda in and out of the house, but I should be around for a couple of hours in the afternoon after the Chargers game (which is the same time as the Bears game I believe) and then at night around 7pm PST.
Sunday night works for me. That'll be 9 PM for me, so just post here if anything changes. Or would something like 9:30 PM (7:30 PM) work better for you? I would prefer to start the game anytime before 10:30 PM CDT.

Nightz

AirBrian said:
Sunday night works for me. That'll be 9 PM for me, so just post here if anything changes. Or would something like 9:30 PM (7:30 PM) work better for you? I would prefer to start the game anytime before 10:30 PM CDT.
Actually sometime around 9:30 to 10:00 (your time) would be better for me. I get home around 7, but need some time to eat dinner. I'll send you a friend request on Live later today.

Classic_Gs said:
I ended up selling my copy of Madden for Dead Space.

You don't get it. Don't commit to something and then back out, leaving people hanging. That's weak, and I'm sure you won't be welcomed back into the leagues ever again. You know you could've saved your money, rented Dead Space, beat it in a week, and kept your copy of Madden.

Whatever.

Top Bottom