• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBOX 360 Madden 2009 Season 2* Thread: RROD Don't Scare Us!

How do you want the league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slo

I protest. If I only play 15 games then there's no way the Vikes can finish 8-8. Sim league my ass.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
The two division playing 15 games a piece isn't terrible really. We could still do a playoffs on paper so take the top 6 from each division and setup a playoff situation.

It could still be really fun etc. It's just not legit NFL style.

Slo

I really don't see how EA could fuck this up. How hard is it to use of of the thousand schedule generators available on the internet to create a league?

AirBrian said:
I'm sure you've seen this then:

nfl_wartop.jpg
Looks good. I'm impressed. Now if they can correctly wrap his fingers around the ball we'd be in business.

AirBrian

Thanks for the poll, Wellie!

As you guys may or may not know, there are no divisions, conferences, or any type of custom scheduling in the EA service. Therefore, every team will just play every other team a set number of times. So if we have 32 teams, we'll play 31 games. 28 teams, 27 games. Two 16 leagues (NFC and AFC) result in two 15-game leagues. And so on...

So this leads me to the next point, do you want to:

1) Use the EA service and try doing two conferences consisting of NFC teams and AFC teams?

or

2) Do you want to play a real NFL schedule, with real divisions, but have to enter in your own stats?

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Not sure if you guys are aware there is an "Advanced" as well as "All-Madden" skill level this year. Any ideas as to what level will the league be played on?

AirBrian

Last year we played on All-Pro, but that was to help combat the crazy amounts of fumbles and defensive spidey-senses INTs.

That's why the league won't start for a week or two, so we all can get a feel for the game and best decide if All-Pro will suffice, or if we need to go All-Madden.

vumpler

"Let's just try the EA service. It can't be that bad and I hate stats anyway"

This is highly misleading. It DOES keep stats, just the schedules are completely screwed :(

Slo

I really like stats. It's pretty much the only way you can set up a gameplan for someone you've never played before.

daw840

Meh, I voted for the EA option but I will flip flop after one season if I don't like it. I think we should at least try one season with the online league.

vumpler

daw840 said:
Meh, I voted for the EA option but I will flip flop after one season if I don't like it. I think we should at least try one season with the online league.
agreed, from FMT and Welly's first impressions it sounds like this game is near everything we've been looking for. There very well could be seasons of this all the way through NCAA next year.
wow i'm getting ahead of myself

BirdBomb

Banned
you could work around the EA league's BS.

for instance, if you had 32 people, you could make it so every team plays one another idk... 4 times. then, everyone just follows the actual NFL schedule, with no flex crap, everyone stays on the same week.

so after every team has played 16 games, determine who won divisions and wild cards. everyone will still have 2+ games left against everyone else on the EA schedule. so the playoff teams log on and treat those regular season games like playoff games.

then stats are kept, trades work.

vumpler

BirdBomb said:
you could work around the EA league's BS.

for instance, if you had 32 people, you could make it so every team plays one another idk... 4 times. then, everyone just follows the actual NFL schedule, with no flex crap, everyone stays on the same week.

so after every team has played 16 games, determine who won divisions and wild cards. everyone will still have 2+ games left against everyone else on the EA schedule. so the playoff teams log on and treat those regular season games like playoff games.

then stats are kept, trades work.
Actually bird I see your point. At first I thought it was going to be a sarcastic post with playing every team 4 times lol.

But seriously that might just work. We use an external schedule (so posted here on the forum) and just play the regular nfl season schedule. Then after we've played our games do the playoffs like you said.

What does everyone else think?

It would force people to be more involved and eye on top of the topic as well.

Me likey.

vumpler

:lol I went to go look in the PS3 madden league discussion and Zep actually posted a drawn up solution like Bird was talking about. Z said he found it online somewhere and it sounds awesome!!

Here's my idea...
We knew ahead of time that we would have to keep track of the standings ourselves. What we didn't know is the schedule issue. However, if we just choose to handle the playoffs separate from the regular season (i.e. create a new league), we should be able to make this work.

Here's how...

* Set up a 32 team league
* Set the number of games for each team to play against each other team to 3 - this would be 2, but according to PastaPadre, you can only choose odd numbers up to 11 (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11). It needs to be at least 2 for divisional matchups
* Post the schedule you will play somewhere online - in our league's case, it would be the real NFL schedule and we would post it in our forums
* Play all games in the league in order like we normally would if we were playing through League Daddy. Our league plays in order one week at a time, but flex schedule leagues should work too
* Keep track of the standings in your forums. We will be keeping track of them like the real NFL, with all the real divisions and conferences
* Once the entire 17 week schedule, use your own standings that are kept outside of the game to determine the playoff teams and seedings
* Create a new 12-team "playoff" league, including all teams that qualify. Set that league up to play each team once.
* Keep track of the playoff tree in the forums and play the games in order the same way we played the regular season, except we use our new playoff league

BirdBomb

Banned
yea thats basically the same thing. i didnt know about the odd number thing but why create a whole new league for the playoffs? if you keep the same league, trades will still be in. what if a playoff team traded with a non playoff team? also, playoff teams could log back into the same league they've been using and view stats to scout and stuff.

i guess setting it to play everyone 3 times would work. 3 is the maximum amount of times you'd play someone with a real NFL schedule.

I really like the flex scheduling option in that it allows you to play whenever as opposed to trying to find a time each week that fits you and your opponent. So I guess what I'm asking is could it be like Z's solution but we still allow you to play whenever as opposed to the one game a week.

BirdBomb said:
yea thats basically the same thing. i didnt know about the odd number thing but why create a whole new league for the playoffs? if you keep the same league, trades will still be in. what if a playoff team traded with a non playoff team? also, playoff teams could log back into the same league they've been using and view stats to scout and stuff.

i guess setting it to play everyone 3 times would work. 3 is the maximum amount of times you'd play someone with a real NFL schedule.

Yeah I don't see the purpose of creating a new one since 3 games like you said is the max they would play.

woodchuck

how could EA fuck this up so badly. this is my first madden league :(

does the service even keep track of stats?

but i like that idea posted. seems like a decent work-around

woodchuck said:
how could EA fuck this up so badly. this is my first madden league :(

does the service even keep track of stats?

but i like that idea posted. seems like a decent work-around

yep it keeps track of stats.

AirBrian

Stats are there if you turn unique rosters on.

Birdbomb, that work-around just might work -- I like it! Of course, once the game comes out, we'll have a much better idea of what we can do to work around this or not. Otherwise, get yo' LD accounts ready! I don't like the idea of the flex scheduling though. Part of the enjoyment of the league is the build-up. From past experience in NBA2K leagues, apathy really sets in when people are so much more ahead than others, especially if the guy ahead is like 10-2 (or whatever) and the other person is like 2-6 (or whatever). If we do go with some kind of work-around, we'll still stick to a pretty strict schedule.

We also need to start thinking about if we want random weather on or off. Personally, I don't mind it being on -- it seems more realistic.

Slo

Edit: ^^^^ Exactly!!

I really like the flex scheduling option in that it allows you to play whenever as opposed to trying to find a time each week that fits you and your opponent. So I guess what I'm asking is could it be like Z's solution but we still allow you to play whenever as opposed to the one game a week.

I absolutely hate that idea, to the point that it would be a deal breaker for me. I really hate the thought of someone being 10-6 two days after the league starts, and half the other guys only getting one or two games in a month because they're too busy. Why not just play random pickup games at that point?

It would totally ruin the pace of the league and also would break up the sense of community. Making everybody play once every 3-5 days like we usually do demands that everybody stay reasonably involved without pressuring anyone to play 7 games a weekend. It let's divisional races take shape, it builds playoff race drama, it allows for comparable and meaningful stats to nerdgasm over after every week advances. I look forward to all that shit.

Slo said:
Edit: ^^^^ Exactly!!

I absolutely hate that idea, to the point that it would be a deal breaker for me. I really hate the thought of someone being 10-6 two days after the league starts, and half the other guys only getting one or two games in a month because they're too busy. Why not just play random pickup games at that point?

It would totally ruin the pace of the league and also would break up the sense of community. Making everybody play once every 3-5 days like we usually do demands that everybody stay reasonably involved without pressuring anyone to play 7 games a weekend. It let's divisional races take shape, it builds playoff race drama, it allows for comparable and meaningful stats to nerdgasm over after every week advances. I look forward to all that shit.

I have no problem with the once every 3-5 days, the problem there is that we always have problems getting games in during that time frame. I mean last year it seemed like every week there would only be like 10 games out of 16 or so done and it was all because of scheduling problems. I guess what I'm really asking for is if people know they'll be busy a certain week or out on business or anything like that they can get their game or games in before hand. I'm not talking about finishing off your whole season in one day.

Basically its the same as we have been doing the last few years of playing early (one week ahead or even two depending on how long someone will be out) but not recording our stats in leaguedaddy except now we would be forced to have those stats recorded.

Gowans

guys I'm out, played the demo and fully baffled it would be a bad idea. :lol MIght pick it up and try to work it out this year for next.

Seahawks are now free for the sub

vumpler

Gowans007 said:
guys I'm out, played the demo and fully baffled it would be a bad idea. :lol MIght pick it up and try to work it out this year for next.

Seahawks are now free for the sub
So the seahawks go to Blakero?

Edit: Or am I reading the list wrong? Sorry to see you go Gowans, but its a good decision if you can't stand the demo.

Also a good friend of Bonsevan, Davidroxu, BirdBomb, Ando, and mine finally signed up for the forums. He should be approved in the next couple of days.

Name: fmwOriginal

He would like to be signed up for the next open spot. He will be very active and follow the rules however this is his first madden league.

mr stroke

AirBrian said:
We also need to start thinking about if we want random weather on or off. Personally, I don't mind it being on -- it seems more realistic.

Random weather PLEASE :)
Since they excluded weather from online again, it would be nice to see snow in an online game.

daw840

mr stroke said:
Random weather PLEASE :)
Since they excluded weather from online again, it would be nice to see snow in an online game.

I definitely second this. Random weather is a lot more fun, especially after looking at what the snow looks like this year!

Somnia

Def. random weather. I don't care if we go with LD or with the EA route (I voted for EA route...), but I'd rather we not do a Flex Schedule personally. I'll go with whatever anyone decides though.

AirBrian

For those who are waiting until Tuesday and/or don't have any 7-11s around...

Toys R Us gives you a $10 GC
and a figurine that I will throw away
with purchase.

vumpler

AirBrian said:
You have got to be kidding me.

Did they have them out on display or did you ask?
No they didn't have them out. They were in the box behind the register. I asked them if they had it, and they really didn't know what it was. I told them its an xbox 360 game and he whipped it right out lol.

vumpler

Holy crap this game is smoooooooooth as silk on all-pro 360 version. I don't think it can be expressed enough. Wow I'm loving it.

The commentary flows the best of any game thus far as well. I just beat the computer 13-10 in overtime and it felt like a very complete game. The commentary seems to keep the game together and it just feels like a complete experience. (at least the closest we've had thus far for sure.)

Oh and some of the new animations are siiiick. Pass over the middle to steve smitty, he dives and catches it as he falls in the end zone. Incredibly awesome that they allow him to make catches this year.

AirBrian

MWS Natural said:
Anyone going to run a little pre-season tourney before the league gets kicked off?
vumpler was talking about doing a short one. But if you're just looking for some practice games, don't worry, they won't be hard to find (once the rest of us peons actually get the game)!

vumpler

MWS Natural said:
Anyone going to run a little pre-season tourney before the league gets kicked off?
Absolutely. I'll post an open bracket and more later this evening.

vumpler

Holy shite guys the gang tackling is amazing. Its true gang tackling FINALLY in a madden game. you can jump in on any tackle lol its so cool and the ball carrier actually move back. I hated last year how it would lockinto the animation and you couldn't add in. They fixed it finally.

woodchuck

start using EA sports world!

damn. i didnt know jake delhomme had the arm strength to throw it cross-field, jumping backwards

vumpler

AirBrian said:
This is great news! Any spidey-sense INTs?
Seen one by the number one CB for the bucs. Was a skinny post 2 step drop, throw steve had the step on him, but somehow it went through steve to the other cb's hands...

Otherwise its been awesome and great reactions by all.

The game is so smooth it almost brings a tear to my eye.

Edit: sweeeeet the ea servers are finally up! My first online game starts now :D

vumpler

1: Its overall slower than offline. Which is expected but will catch you off guard at first. Not much slower but it is slightly noticeable.

2: When the offense picks their play, the defense gets 11 seconds. A nice addition in my opinion.

More to come as the game continues. So far everything else is spot on and excellent.

vumpler

Saw my first fumble. It was one hell of a user strip against me. The ball went spinning in the air and everything :lol It was pretty badass.

Top Bottom