• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBOX 360 Madden 2009 Season 2* Thread: RROD Don't Scare Us!

How do you want the league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.
MWS Natural said:
I'll add you, I need to get some pre-season work in.

As do I as you saw. That was my first game outside of half of a preseason game and some training, but still that was quite awful on my part.

AirBrian

Preliminary rules (subject to change!). 90% of these are the rules from last year, so there should be no major surprises. It might seem like a lot and overwhelming to some of the newer guys, but if you read them, it's just common sense and common courtesy to our fellow GAF players.

Type: Unranked
Difficulty: All-Pro (Could be All-Madden?)
Time: 6 minute Quarters
Injuries: Off
Random Weather: On

* Manual catches are allowed.

* Physical defensive line spreading is NOT allowed (as of now).

* Play sim-ball for Pete’s sake. No going for it on 4th down in the 1st quarter in your own territory (see below for 4th down rules), no onsides kicking early in the game, no scrambling out of the pocket at the start of EVERY PLAY, etc. Also, play sim-ball in your play calling. There is NO FUN to be found in playing against 4-wide sets every play, or someone throwing deep bombs over and over and over and over. I know teams like the Colts are big deep passing teams, and that's fine, but mix it up a little as well.

* DO NOT ABUSE THE SLOT CORNER ROUTE OR TE ROUTE! These plays ARE NOT ILLEGAL! However, if you are on the final drive of the game trying to tie the game, and you throw 5 straight corner passes to the slot receiver in a 3-wide set, that is cheesy. Again, mix up your passes. For those that don't know, a slot corner route or TE corner route is when the WR/TE goes straight up the field, and then breaks down the sideline at an angle. Why is this dirty? Because the CPU DB usually won't defend it properly. That's not to say it is a 100% money play, because many zones will stop it and if you have a good enough nickel CB they will defend it properly a good deal of the time, but it is SO easy to complete and it's a guaranteed 10-20 yards. Again, it's not illegal, but don't abuse it.

* No manual blitzing with linebackers or defensive backs. Now, you can call on anyone to blitz from any position on your defense, it's just it can't be YOU controlling him. The reason is that the blocking AI can never pick up a human opponent properly. This is cheap as well, don't do it. There will be no compromising on my part with this rule.

The exceptions are A) if you are playing linebacker/CB, and you are covering the field and the QB BREAKS THE POCKET, you can go after him. As soon as you see the QB scrambling to the right or left, you can go after him; and B) if you have a CPU controlled player already past the offensive line and you want to take control of him, feel free to do so! Load up on that hit stick!

* No pulling your DE off the line of scrimmage and blitzing in with him. This is basically like a manual LB blitz. You can manually rush the QB with anyone on the defensive line, that isn't a problem. The problem is when you move your DE far off to the side so you can get an easy sack. Don't do this, it is cheap.

* No ridiculous sub packages. I don't want to see Devin Hester at TE or Rex Grossman at DE (even though they dominate!). I don't mind if you put a CB in at WR or something that ACTUALLY happens in the NFL, but no BS subs.

* NO CLOCK MILKING UNTIL THE 4th QUARTER! if you are letting the play clock purposely run down to under 10 seconds in the first 3 quarters that is BS. Have some respect for your opponent. If we were playing 15 minute quarters, fine, run the play clock down. But we aren't. We want everyone to have a chance to win, so don't pull out the milking card. In the 4th quarter, milk all you want.

* DO NOT run up the score on people. If you have a 20 point lead in the 4th, don't attempt to throw bombs to the end zone. This is just common courtesy. Please guys, if you are beating someone hardcore just be content with your win. I know everyone likes to brag about being the #1 rusher or passer or whatever, but it causes unnecessary problems and tension amongst league players. If you are clearly dominating a game, and the scoreboard shows it, just run the ball and be a courteous winner.

* For disconnections: This one is tricky as well. If you lose connection, and the game says "Continue Vs. CPU", that means your opponent has lost connection. Now one of two things can happen here:

A) You can mark down the score and remaining time and start a new game simply playing out the remaining time. For instance, it disconnects with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. So start a new unranked game, set the quarter length to 3 minutes, and play out the first quarter. You two can decide who wants to burn a TO for the 2-minute warning (if you do at all).

Or...

B) You guys can play an entirely new game. This one is totally up to the two players because it kind of sucks if someone is getting blown out and the other guy disconnects, then the other guy gets screwed. We'll play this by ear, especially since it's still unclear how the EA "league" will handle disconnects.

* FOURTH DOWN ATTEMPT RULES!!!
1. No 4th down attempts in your own territory in the first half, period.
2. In the 3rd quarter if you're trailing by 21+ 4th downs are user discretion.
3. In the 4th quarter if you are trailing by any amount 4th downs are user discretion.
4. And even in the 4th, if you are WINNING, it's a no-go!

Any breaking of the rules means an automatic loss. Of course SOME of the above rules are subject to interpretation. But for the most part they are pretty clear cut. If you have questions, just ask!

One very beautiful thing this year is the uploadable replays. If you have a problem with something in your game, upload it!!! Visual evidence > *.

woodchuck

what is "physical defensive line spreading"?

also, what's the reasoning behind injuries? i kind of like having injuries since it can discourage scrambling from the pocket.

daw840

Are we going to modify the 4th down rules at all? I know there was some talk about this earlier in the thread.

edit: Also, why are injuries off?

AirBrian

woodchuck said:
what is "physical defensive line spreading"?

also, what's the reasoning behind injuries? i kind of like having injuries since it can discourage scrambling from the pocket.
It's when you spread out your line, which puts the DEs outside the tackles. It's very, very easy to get a sack like this. I believe it's the left-stick UP using the LB defensive line audible.

I understand your point, but last year's game had a ridiculous amount of injuries, so it's really a carryover from that. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad this year, but it still happens way more than it should. This one isn't set in stone yet -- once we all get some more games under our belt, we can better access just how exaggerated injuries are in this year's version.

If the majority (or outspoken) are OK with injuires, then I'm all for it.

Slo

I think we need to get a better feel for the game before we know if any of the rules have become obsolete. That said, these rules have been in place year after year, so it's unlikely that they've been fixed.

woodchuck

AirBrian said:
It's when you spread out your line, which puts the DEs outside the tackles. It's very, very easy to get a sack like this. I believe it's the left-stick UP using the LB defensive line audible.

I understand your point, but last year's game had a ridiculous amount of injuries, so it's really a carryover from that. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad this year, but it still happens way more than it should. This one isn't set in stone yet -- once we all get some more games under our belt, we can better access just how exaggerated injuries are in this year's version.

If the majority (or outspoken) are OK with injuires, then I'm all for it.

ah. i see. but is pinching the line still ok?

AirBrian

woodchuck said:
ah. i see. but is pinching the line still ok?

Definitely.

And good point, Slo. That's also why I prefaced them with the fact that they could change once we get more games under our belt. For example, the DE Contain trick seems to be corrected for the most part. If we see it being abused though, it will be banned instantly (and we still might ban it just because there's no reason to do that anyway). I'm going to use the next couple of games to do some testing.

daw840

Hunter D said:
AirBrian I am out until I get my xbox fixed. My shit RROD on me and MS doesn't take debit cards or checks.

Wait, what does debit cards and checks have to do with RROD?

Slo

I played a second game tonight, and I did MUCH better through the air. I'm starting to like this game a little better now.

Also, I really like the idea of keeping injuries off. I don't think it's fun to have games pretty much decided at random if a star player like LTD or AD goes down to injury.

Birdman02

Just saw this post in the PS3 thread....I'm sure it applies to 360 leagues too. EAs leagues are looking worse by the day. :(

Rorschach said:
Ramirez and I just disconnected abruptly when it was getting good (and I was connected directly to modem). Which brings up a little hitch in the EA leagues. According to Pasta, there's no option for deleting games in the admin's controls. That means that if you disconnect, the results are final. Now, you may say "well, there's multiple games, just play again!" but that totally skews the stats.

Just something to think about!

AirBrian

Birdman02 said:
Just saw this post in the PS3 thread....I'm sure it applies to 360 leagues too. EAs leagues are looking worse by the day. :(

Ugh. Oh, League Daddy, you just...won't...die.

:lol @ Slo. I'll remember that when you hold me to a FG on the opening drive. Then BAM! Bears win 3-0! :D

Hunter D

daw840 said:
Wait, what does debit cards and checks have to do with RROD?
I want to pay to get it fixed so that I can be in this league or another one asap, but ms doesn't take debit or checks and I am not a fan of credit cards. You know service is pretty poor when you want to give a company your money and they have limited options of taking it.

Slo

AirBrian said:
:lol @ Slo. I'll remember that when you hold me to a FG on the opening drive. Then BAM! Bears win 3-0! :D

This ain't the arena league, son. You can't hit a FG from your own 20!

Nightz

A little late to the party, but can I get on the reserves list? Tried to start a league in another forum I'm in, but the majority of people there are Europeans who don't care about American football. :lol

woodchuck

so it looks like all my best highlights are against pheeniks :lol

Devin Hester returns a short FG back for a TD: http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/191795

Jeff Garcia 70 yd TD pass with no time left in the half. Total cheese play...but it was my only cheese play of the game. And it was with no time left in the half so I just threw it deep and prayed. http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/191832

And a beautiful throw by Garcia to the corner of the endzone, above the outstretched arm of the CB http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/191866

AirBrian

Slo said:
This ain't the arena league, son. You can't hit a FG from your own 20!
:lol

It's funny 'cuz it's true. :-(

BigAT said:
Can we switch up our offensive/defensive playbooks or do we have to use the ones for our given team?
Switch away!

And woodchuck, that JGar pass looks very familiar... :D

(Please don't hurt me with MBIII!)

AirBrian

Nightz said:
A little late to the party, but can I get on the reserves list? Tried to start a league in another forum I'm in, but the majority of people there are Europeans who don't care about American football. :lol
You've been added to the queue.

woodchuck

AirBrian said:
:lol

And woodchuck, that JGar pass looks very familiar... :D

(Please don't hurt me with MBIII!)

the sad part is that rex actually has the arm to make that throw. if this was realistic, garcia's ball would have hit the ground after about 30 yards

AirBrian

OK, I've made a test league to screw around with for a couple days. Here's the info:

League name: GAF Test
Password: gaf (Note: it is case sensitive.)
Abbreiviation: GAFT

I'm not sure how long it takes before you're able to join because it's not showing up yet on EASportsWorld... :-(

Somnia

AirBrian said:
OK, I've made a test league to screw around with for a couple days. Here's the info:

League name: GAF Test
Password: GAF
Abbreiviation: GAFT

I'm not sure how long it takes before you're able to join because it's not showing up yet on EASportsWorld... :-(

I'll try to join right now so we can see

AirBrian

woodchuck said:
the sad part is that rex actually has the arm to make that throw. if this was realistic, garcia's ball would have hit the ground after about 30 yards

Looks like from those videos that you guys were playing on All-Madden. Did you notice anything major between All-Pro and All-Madden?

woodchuck

AirBrian said:
Looks like from those videos that you guys were playing on All-Madden. Did you notice anything major between All-Pro and All-Madden?

i think the only major difference i noticed is the running. it seemed easier to run in all-pro. or that could have just been the Titans D-line. other than that, didn't really notice much.

I played a game with a friend tonight and it was a bit laggy....he did say that his bro was downloading something though so it may have just been that

And you are saying that if its 4th and inches we cant go for it?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
AirBrian said:
I don't know about what all of you guys think, but another league I'm in uses all madden and its damn atrocious. The run game is irrelevant in most all games played and there are tons of picks. It makes the AI spider sense all over again.

Everyone try out a couple of games and see what you think.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
* No ridiculous sub packages. I don't want to see Devin Hester at TE or Rex Grossman at DE (even though they dominate!). I don't mind if you put a CB in at WR or something that ACTUALLY happens in the NFL, but no BS subs.

Also Brian can we outlaw WR subbing into the HB position? Its actually built into the game under many of the I formation sub packages. It's bogus and complete cheese if you bust out with randy, hester or smith.

daw840

vumpler said:

Also Brian can we outlaw WR subbing into the HB position? Its actually built into the game under many of the I formation sub packages. It's bogus and complete cheese if you bust out with randy, hester or smith.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what is the difference between that and having LT in the backfield?

Somnia

vumpler said:
I don't know about what all of you guys think, but another league I'm in uses all madden and its damn atrocious. The run game is irrelevant in most all games played and there are tons of picks. It makes the AI spider sense all over again.

Everyone try out a couple of games and see what you think.

Brian and I just played a game and we had a fair mix of running and passing that was pretty good on All Pro. Based off the few games I played All Pro seems to mix it up a bit more because All Madden turns it into a pure passing game almost it seems imo.

Birdman02

vumpler said:

Hmmm...what about TE? I sometimes put Vernon Davis as my FB when I go split backs, but I don't think I've ever handed him the ball.

Oh, and I agree that we should probably play on all-pro, at least for the 1st season.

i like all-madden running because you have to work for it. you can still gain yards but you have to be smart about where you go

it also further shows the difference between scrub/good running backs.

BigAT

I played in my first online game last night (unranked - All Pro). I managed to run pretty effectively, averaged around 6 yards/carry with Brandon Jacobs against the Bears. I don't know if the sloppy field conditions played a factor (the weather was rain), but I ended up around 100 yards and won.

By the way, the effects on uniforms from weather can be extremely significant. Towards the end of the game I accidentally mistook some of my blockers for defenders because the mud on their uniforms caused them to look nearly exactly like the Bears' home jerseys.

Top Bottom