• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBOX 360 Madden 2009 Season 2* Thread: RROD Don't Scare Us!

How do you want the league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slo

vumpler said:
Also Brian can we outlaw WR subbing into the HB position? Its actually built into the game under many of the I formation sub packages. It's bogus and complete cheese if you bust out with randy, hester or smith.

I don't know if I like this idea, and this is coming from a guy who'd never consider subbing out my awesome RBs for my mediocre WRs. :D I don't think it's ridiculous to try to get your playmakers that ball though exotic packages. Putting RBush in the slot, for instance, is going to create a huge mismatch because he'll most likely be covered by an LB or at best a Nickel DB.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Slo said:
I don't know if I like this idea, and this is coming from a guy who'd never consider subbing out my awesome RBs for my mediocre WRs. :D I don't think it's ridiculous to try to get your playmakers that ball though exotic packages. Putting RBush in the slot, for instance, is going to create a huge mismatch because he'll most likely be covered by an LB or at best a Nickel DB.
I feel I watch a ton of football and I can't think of one time in the NFL I've EVER seen a wr line up behind a full back, EVER..

What about you guys?

Slo

vumpler said:
I feel I watch a ton of football and I can't think of one time in the NFL I've EVER seen a wr line up behind a full back, EVER..

What about you guys?

You're missing the point. It's not whether Steve Smith has played RB in an NFL game. It's whether he could play RB. And he probably could, at least on sweep plays and tosses. He's a 200 pound ball carrier with wheels. Hell, Deion Sanders played a little WR. Mike Vrabel plays TE. And the mofoing FRIDGE played fullback in the Superbowl!

I think there is a difference between creativity and exploitation of the game engine. Regardless, this point isn't a huge deal for me either way.

Played some more online games today, no lag

But the fuckers kept disconnecting

First guy disconnects after I sack him 2 plays in a row and then he fails on a 4th down conversion which he went for for reasons unclear to me.......I had to audible out of punt return....he also had a 1 TD lead on me

Second guy disconnects when he is up by 10 and I'm marching down the field

Ugh

First guy though was hilarious because he was bitching at someone about his kid crying and didn't realize his mic was on

vumpler

BigJonsson said:
First guy though was hilarious because he was bitching at someone about his kid crying and didn't realize his mic was on
:lol Welcome to madden on xbox live.

Birdman02

vumpler said:

What about you guys?

I feel the same on this one. The only times I can recall seeing a WR in the backfield is maybe in split back sets, and, even then, they almost always go in motion before the play starts. I don't recall ever seeing a WR lined up as the primary RB.....whether that be behind a FB or in singleback sets, so I don't think I should see it in Madden either.

I don't have a problem with a TE lined up at FB though....I think there are a few teams who have that by default (I know the Colts did in Madden '08). RB as the slot WR is fine by me too.

mr stroke

No manual blitzing with linebackers or defensive backs. Now, you can call on anyone to blitz from any position on your defense, it's just it can't be YOU controlling him. The reason is that the blocking AI can never pick up a human opponent properly. This is cheap as well, don't do it. There will be no compromising on my part with this rule.

The one exception is that if you are playing linebacker/CB, and you are covering the field and the QB BREAKS THE POCKET, you can go after him. As soon as you see the QB scrambling to the right or left, you can go after him. If you have a CPU controlled player CLOSE to the QB or already past the offensive line and you want to take control of him, feel free to do so! Load up on that hit stick!

So if my cpu linebacker breaks through the line and is chasing for the QB inside the pocket I can't control him from that point to dive for the QB?

Slo

Birdman02 said:
I feel the same on this one. The only times I can recall seeing a WR in the backfield is maybe in split back sets, and, even then, they almost always go in motion before the play starts. I don't recall ever seeing a WR lined up as the primary RB.....whether that be behind a FB or in singleback sets, so I don't think I should see it in Madden either.

I don't have a problem with a TE lined up at FB though....I think there are a few teams who have that by default (I know the Colts did in Madden '08). RB as the slot WR is fine by me too.

If that's the way the league's going to work, that's fine. The one caveat being that you'll occasionally end up with a slot receiver in the backfield after an audible. If you line up in 3-1-1 and audible to 2-1-2 you'll have your slot guy in the backfield (and maybe even into 3-0-2, I think they may split the TE into the slot in that situation). I really don't want to get into the situation where I have to sweat calling an audible because I don't want to have Bobby Wade terrorizing defenses from the backfield!

woodchuck

haha. i remember the Cowboys had TO lining up in the backfield couple times in a Split Back set.

except they kept faking the handoff to TO and gave it to Julius Jones who would run for no gain :(

AirBrian

Birdman02 said:

Yep, there should be no reason why a WR is lined up as the primary back and/or gets the ball in the backfield.

I have no problems with the TE lined up at FB either. I know Indy and SF do that all the time.

And RBs in the slots are fine too. Reggie Bush is a great example of this happening in real life.

Slo said:
If that's the way the league's going to work, that's fine. The one caveat being that you'll occasionally end up with a slot receiver in the backfield after an audible. If you line up in 3-1-1 and audible to 2-1-2 you'll have your slot guy in the backfield (and maybe even into 3-0-2, I think they may split the TE into the slot in that situation). I really don't want to get into the situation where I have to sweat calling an audible because I don't want to have Bobby Wade terrorizing defenses from the backfield!
As long as you don't audible every play where that happens, don't sweat it. :) The main point of that rule is to cut out the ridiculous, unrealistic subs that you'll see in random lobby games. Most of us here know the game of football and know what you might actually see and what you won't.

AirBrian

mr stroke said:
So if my cpu linebacker breaks through the line and is chasing for the QB inside the pocket I can't control him from that point to dive for the QB?
Sorry, poorly worded rule. Yeah, if a CPU player gets past the line, feel free to load up on the QB!

vumpler

Update on a couple members who haven't posted in the last week:

Davidr0xu's game finally came in! So he's good to go as well. Still working on getting his account approved to regular member instead of junior.

Bonsevan is moving to his new apartment this week and will be ready to go before we start the league as well.

That's an update on the only ones I've talked to that aren't bolded on the front page.

cubanb

Banned
It looks like you guys have plenty of substitutes, so I am going to sit the first season (Chargers). I have two NCAA dynasties going and I haven't got a chance to play much madden. I might join the second season around if one of my dynasties fall apart.

AirBrian

Cool, thanks, vumpler.

cubanb said:
It looks like you guys have plenty of substitutes, so I am going to sit the first season (Chargers). I have two NCAA dynasties going and I haven't got a chance to play much madden. I might join the second season around if one of my dynasties fall apart.
:-( Good luck in NCAA and hopefully we'll see you in the second season!

AirBrian

Twice tonight (once against tcvr0d and once against Smokey), the game disconnected on a late, close game FG. Apparently this is a known problem. :-(

BirdBomb said:
yea its on my bros 360 but im going to recover my other one when i get back to college.
Ah, cool.

fmwOriginal said:
If I make it in and if they are available, I'd like to have the Raiders.
And done.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yeah, my name's not bolded yet, but I still want to play in the league. Troy Smith will help the Ravens rise to mediocrity.

BigAT

Looks like I'm the next sub in line. I would definitely jump on the Giants if they're available, Chargers would be my second choice.

AirBrian

BigAT said:
Looks like I'm the next sub in line. I would definitely jump on the Giants if they're available, Chargers would be my second choice.
Sorry, BigAT, but BigJonsson missed out on them the last time they came up, so it was his choice. The Chargers are yours.

AirBrian

OK, I think I've got everyone who has been active and/or confirmed with me that they're in. So what about the rest? If you're not bolded, please let me know within the next couple of days so we can get this biyotch rolling next week! Also, for those who have confirmed, can you please post your GT and AIM info so I can start compiling that in the OP? Thanks! :)

THE LIST:

Confirmed:

01. AirBrian - Bears
02. BigJonsson - Giants
03. Vumpler - Panthers
04. Birdman02 - 49ers
05. fmwOriginal - Raiders
06. GCQuinton - Saints
07. sableholic - Redskins
08. bosevan - Titans
09. pheeniks - Dolphins
10. Andowsky - Denver
12. Blakero - Lions
13. variance - Rams
14. dammitmattt - Patriots
15. Slo - Vikings
16. Davidr0xu - Buccaneers
17. woodchuck - Cowboys
19. Smokey - Seahawks
20. BigAT - Chargers
21. daw840 - Chiefs
23. tcvr0d - Colts
25. MWS Natural - Jaguars
26. SickBoy - Cardinals
27. mr stroke - Packers
28. Somnia - Texans
29. Righty10 - Bengals
30. methodman - Jets
32. Rodeo Clown - Ravens

Unconfirmed:

11. LJ11 - Bills (Still deciding...)
22. BillRiccio - Browns
24. thebigkahuna - Eagles
31. Archaix - Steelers (Still deciding...)

Open:

18. ??? - Falcons

Subs/Replacements:

1. Classic_Gs
2. Nightz
3. BirdBomb

SickBoy

I'll confirm for the moment, but my 360 may soon be going back for a new drive.

GT FisheyeLens
AIM (I think - never use it) is SickBoyGA

Smokey

I created a GamerTag called:

GAF Madden 09

Send Friend Requests to that tag and I will accept them. That way if you wanna know who is on from the league, just click on the above GT and goto View Friends. This'll keep all gamertags in one place and you don't have to fill up your FR with 30+ tags from the league.

EDIT: I went ahead and sent FR to everybody that was listed in the table on page 1. I had a problem with:

Jaguars MWS Natural mwsthenatural

It's telling me that GT does not exist on Xbox Live.

woodchuck

Smokey said:

GAF Madden 09

Send Friend Requests to that tag and I will accept them. That way if you wanna know who is on from the league, just click on the above GT and goto View Friends. This'll keep all gamertags in one place and you don't have to fill up your FR with 30+ tags from the league.

nice!

GT: Dr Tim Whatley
AIM: thekavorka87

vumpler

Here's a few:

Gaf: vumpler
GT: spoonkiiiah

Gaf: andokuky
GT: Andowsky

Gaf: davidr0xu2
GT: DavidR0xU (that's a zero after R)

Gaf: bosevan
GT: Farnsworth165

Gaf: GCQuinton
GT: Wsv771

Gaf: fmworiginal
GT: FmW Original

AirBrian said:
OK, I think I've got everyone who has been active and/or confirmed with me that they're in. So what about the rest? If you're not bolded, please let me know within the next couple of days so we can get this biyotch rolling next week! Also, for those who have confirmed, can you please post your GT and AIM info so I can start compiling that in the OP? Thanks! :)

Open:

13. ??? - Rams

Subs/Replacements:

1. variance
2. Classic_Gs
3. Nightz
4. BirdBomb

I'll put my name in for the Rams since there open.

Smokey

vumpler said:
Here's a few:

Gaf: vumpler
GT: spoonkiiiah

Gaf: andokuky
GT: Andowsky

Gaf: davidr0xu2
GT: DavidR0xU (that's a zero after R)

Gaf: bosevan
GT: Farnsworth165

Gaf: GCQuinton
GT: Wsv771

Gaf: fmworiginal
GT: FmW Original

Added. When is the league supposed to start?

Smokey said:

GAF Madden 09

EDIT: I went ahead and sent FR to everybody that was listed in the table on page 1. I had a problem with:

Jaguars MWS Natural mwsthenatural

It's telling me that GT does not exist on Xbox Live.

AIM/GamerTag = MWS The Natural

AirBrian

Smokey said:
Added. When is the league supposed to start?

Loved your GT idea, Smokey!

Unfortunately, you know how our game quit last night? Well it's a known bug. For those who may not be aware of it, when the game is close towards the end of the game and you kick a FG, the game drops. Unfortunately, this coupled with the lack of a reset game option in the EA "league" creates a pretty fatal combination. We can either wait for a patch on this problem (which there's been no mention of and it affects both versions), or we can start right away (as in official pre-season next week) using League Daddy.

I just wish EA would respond to the problem and let us know when we can expect a patch for this pretty damn big issue. :|

vumpler

AirBrian said:

Unfortunately, you know how our game quit last night? Well it's a known bug. For those who may not be aware of it, when the game is close towards the end of the game and you kick a FG, the game drops. Unfortunately, this coupled with the lack of a reset game option in the EA "league" creates a pretty fatal combination. We can either wait for a patch on this problem (which there's been no mention of and it affects both versions), or we can start right away (as in official pre-season next week) using League Daddy.

I just wish EA would respond to the problem and let us know when we can expect a patch for this pretty damn big issue. :|
They made it sound like even after there is a fix for a bug it takes 2 weeks for it to be released. So looks like we could be waiting a bit.

The good news:
I will continue to host Gaf tournaments all the way up until the official kickoff of the regular season in our league. So its a great opportunity to still have great competition.

I've got to come up with some legit prizes for winners.

Smokey

AirBrian said:

*sigh*

Something new every year.

vumpler

Smokey said:
*sigh*

Something new every year.
Yeah but you can't deny how exciting this game really is. I know it has its bugs and it might take a bit before they get it all patched but I'm having the time of my life with each game I play. They are very competitive and there is great control on offense and defense. I love it.

Top Bottom