• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

TekunoRobby said:
You Xbox Live Arcade guys have my eternal love. Seriously, you're a quarter of the reason why I'm picking the system up.

You and me both, Robby! Brilliant concept done correctly this go around.

I mean Smash TV on LIVE! :D

SuperPac

Me three. The XBL experience -- Arcade, TrueSkill, Gamercard, Achievements, Marketplace... exciting stuff, all.

Here's hoping shortage rumors have been blown out of proportion.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Next week's Circuit City ad lists PGR3, Kameo and PD0 for $49.99. i guess they're available next week

hyp

Wario64 said:
Next week's Circuit City ad lists PGR3, Kameo and PD0 for $49.99. i guess they're available next week

hey Wario is this ad online? do you know what circuit city's in the bay area are having this sale? i'm gonna jump on this if this is for real.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
hyp said:
hey Wario is this ad online? do you know what circuit city's in the bay area are having this sale? i'm gonna jump on this if this is for real.
$49.99 is MSRP..so it's not really a sale.

hyp

vatstep said:
$49.99 is MSRP..so it's not really a sale.

is this confirmed as MSRP? i prepaid these games at gamestop and they're selling them for 59.99 each. bastards are trying to rip me off. wtf.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yep, 100% confirmed. This wasn't known until a couple of months ago, though, so if you pre-paid them before then, Gamestop would've been charging you full price. They'll give you back the difference, though.

hyp

thanks vat... im gonna do some investigating this week to see if i can get my money back.

For those of us who did'nt pre-order the Xbox360, what do you think the wait will be?

The failsafe plan is to go a Walmart at about 9:00 PM on the 21st. Ask the electronics department where they will start selling them (it may be the layaway area.) Once you find that out, go scope out the area for a line. If one has already started to form, go ahead and get in line. I did this with the PS2 launch and was at home playing by 12:30.

I have already called a couple of local stores and they have confirmed to me that they will begin selling at 12 a.m. on the 22nd.

hgplayer1

Outlaw Pro Mod said:
The failsafe plan is to go a Walmart at about 9:00 PM on the 21st. Ask the electronics department where they will start selling them (it may be the layaway area.) Once you find that out, go scope out the area for a line. If one has already started to form, go ahead and get in line. I did this with the PS2 launch and was at home playing by 12:30.

I have already called a couple of local stores and they have confirmed to me that they will begin selling at 12 a.m. on the 22nd.

did you get any info about how they will be selling them? the same bundles that were available online? Im absolutely afraid to call my Wal Mart and ask just because I think Ill get some idiot who doesnt know a thing.

hgplayer1

ran to a few stores tonight and finally got my hands on the 360.

Best Buy had the kiosk set up and it was sexy! I cant believe someone would say the console itself isnt attractive. luckily the controller wasnt strapped in and I could hold it naturally. there was no thought process once I had it in hand. it is the controller S refined. the only time I had to actually look at it was to look for the start button.

briefly played COD and King Kong and both seemed to have crappy controls but then again I didnt really know what I was doing in KK. The KK demo was glitching while the Trex and Kong were fighting. he turned blue like a bluescreen. COD should be a really immersive game and thats the only reason Ill buy this game if I do. I cant stand the controls of the game and its the main reason I havent played more of the series. I didnt touch Kameo because there was a guy watching me play and I wanted to let him try it.

it was funny because when I first walked in I walked down the aisle where they had the Xbox set up with one of the small plasma screens with the newest COD playing on it and some guy is sitting there playing it. so I walk over and find the 360 kiosk with COD running but nobody playing it. I wonder if that guy had just finished playing the 360 and was checking out the Xbox for comparisons sake or if he was just not aware of the 360.

I didnt ask about any details of what the store was doing for launch but the only thing I saw was a sign on the kiosk that simply said "November 22".

next I went to Hastings to see what they had. I saw they had 360 signage for the cabinet where the new games would go but no info. as I was walking out I saw a static cling on one of the counters that said they would be open at midnight on the 22nd to sell the 360. Ill call later to see if they can give me details.

is Steel Battalion for Xbox still super rare? they had the big controller set thats been there for quite a while now. maybe I should scoop it up and put it on ebay?

oh Hastings also had signs saying you could trade in your used Xbox or PS2 for $100 towards the purchase of the 360.

Wal-Mart still didnt have jack. only the static cling on the cabinet saying it was going to be available the 22nd.

so here is my plan as of today....

11-9-05 try to get one of the preorders through bestbuy.coms rewards zone offer.

11-21-05 go to either Wal Mart or Hastings and camp for the midnight sale if I have no solid info on when my bestbuy.com preorder is going to arrive.

11-22-05 if I have no luck at the midnight sales, race from store to store and try to pick one up.

may the fucking force be with me

imperium

Since I wasn’t going to get my system from Gamestop at launch and I don’t relish the idea of camping or the inherent risks, I broke down and purchased a bundle from Toys R Us.

Price: $609.95

Includes Premium system
Extra wired controller
Madden, NBA Live and Kameo

Not my ideal bundle since I don’t have much interest in Madden or NBA Live and I’d rather have a plug and play kit than a wired controller but I guess it’s worth the peace of mind. Hopefully they’ll be lenient and allow me to exchange Madden and Live.

BTW the clerk told me they had a total of 8 bundles and I purchased the last one. They went on sale sometime during the weekend.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i was bored and played some more 360 tonight. first time spent with hexic and kong.

king kong is fucking terrible! seriously. the graphics look nice enough, but the framerate was trash, and worst of all, the controls were simply aweful. boo'urns

crunker99

heres the list as of today a few dates have changed

2.jpg

Lo-Volt said:
I have a silly question. Is it me or is the list after November of this year as exciting as a snail?

The trick is to not buy every game that interests you at launch. Maybe pick one or two up, play the hell out of them, then check out another one. Pace yourself fellas.

Lo-Volt said:
I have a silly question. Is it me or is the list after November of this year as exciting as a snail?

Nothing is ever "just you" but if you don't see a bunch of exciting games after Launch, I'm not sure why.

Lo-Volt

*Sigh.* I should rephrase; it seems like there aren't as many titles as I would expect in the months after the launch (why I even expect that, I don't know), even though a good amount of them look good. Never mind.

Speevy

Banned
For a first launcher, the Xbox 360 has an insanely high number of quality titles being released in its first 12 months. 25 games in November and December? That's just incredible for a system launch. Beyond that, we have killer games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Too Human, and Resident Evil 5. Of course, this becomes even more significant if the PS3 launches next Fall.

Foil

Lo-Volt said:
*Sigh.* I should rephrase; it seems like there aren't as many titles as I would expect in the months after the launch (why I even expect that, I don't know), even though a good amount of them look good. Never mind.

Obviously many of the 2006 games aren't listed there. Next year will be awesome for the 360 with stuff like Mass Effect, Too Human, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Splinter Cell 4, Ghost Recon, Oblivion, Halo 3, Fable 2, etc.

We'll have Rare announcing 2 new titles in the spring, E3 should show us a ton of new stuff like possibly Shadowrun.

vatstep

Speevy said:
For a first launcher, the Xbox 360 has an insanely high number of quality titles being released in its first 12 months. 25 games in November and December? That's just incredible for a system launch. Beyond that, we have killer games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Too Human, and Resident Evil 5. Of course, this becomes even more significant if the PS3 launches next Fall.
What are the games even expected to be released in December? MS maintains there will be 25 titles for Holiday 2005. But I see 19 games expected to be available at launch (provided none of them get delayed); what are the other five or six? Unless some of the games due in January get bumped up, they're not on any release schedule.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
There is a quality title every month. I wonder what is coming for April though. It's empty for now

When: Tuesday, November 8 2005 From 0200-0400 PT/ 0500-0800 ET (What time is this in my time zone?)

What: Xbox Live, Xbox.com and Xbox Forums scheduled maintenance.

During the above time, Xbox Live, Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be unavailable, since they will be under going scheduled maintenance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding

SuperPac

Where'd you see that, krypt? I wonder if this is a final clean-up to get whatever they hadn't finished with or done live and working. Like the registering if you're under 18 thing. Or maybe this mean all the other parts of xbox.com that've been missing (support docs for 360, b/c list, launch game list, XBL Arcade game pages, etc.) will go up.

One thing I've noticed that's kinda bullshit is when HiroProtagonist has gotten one of the "secret achievements" it doesn't show up as secret on his "Most Recent Achievements" but it does show up as secret when you're comparing achievements. So it could still spoil part of a game if it's something your friend just did. :'( But maybe that's on purpose.

We're officially two weeks away from the big day...

SuperPac said:
Where'd you see that, krypt? I wonder if this is a final clean-up to get whatever they hadn't finished with or done live and working. Like the registering if you're under 18 thing. Or maybe this mean all the other parts of xbox.com that've been missing (support docs for 360, b/c list, launch game list, XBL Arcade game pages, etc.) will go up.

One thing I've noticed that's kinda bullshit is when HiroProtagonist has gotten one of the "secret achievements" it doesn't show up as secret on his "Most Recent Achievements" but it does show up as secret when you're comparing achievements. So it could still spoil part of a game if it's something your friend just did. :'( But maybe that's on purpose.

We're officially two weeks away from the big day...

Its stickied on the xbox.com 360 forums. :D

I noticed that screw up with the achievements too. I emailed major nelson about it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
krypt0nian said:
Can someone please explain how GUN got a 9.5 from OXM?

The ranking system weights games based upon various factors. It then applies each categorical rank coupled with the overall impression of the finished product to assess a tangible score that helps potential purchasers decide whether or not the game is worth their consumer dollars. In the case of OXM, the scale ranges from the lowest ranking of 1 to the highest possible scoring of 10. As such, OXM believes that Gun will shoot your tits off.

SuperPac

krypt0nian said:
I noticed that screw up with the achievements too. I emailed major nelson about it.

Well they fixed it. That's the only thing I've noticed that's different this morning.

BTW they are really downplaying the backward-compatibility thing. You don't see it mentioned too often. :'(

rastex said:
Hey, can we get some more detailed impressions on PD0?

anything in particular you wanna know?

The build I played was the x05 build.

1. Blood stains were not in the game.

2. The aiming was crap when you first start but I fixed that in the options.

3. The AI was good on higher difficultys

4. The graphics were really good anyone who says otherwise is on crack.

5. The weapons were kickass, honestly they were really creative in function and in looks.

6. The blur when turning can get annoying.

7. Rolling might become the new bunny hopping and has a chance of becoming a gamebreaker in multiplayer :(

The game was great fun ...The biggest compliment i can give this game is that me 2 of my buddies played the game for 2 hours on a comfy couch infront of a big screen and when we were leaving we only thought it had been 30 min.

oh funny story we got into VIP room because i whipped some rep who thought he was good in NHL2k6 he turned the Goalie AI down and scored a couple of quick goals but then i went on to score 8 goals straight and the guy gave up. :p

Kingpen

Kabuki... From what you played on NHL2k6, and knowing that you are a hockey fan, are you going to buy it?

I value your impressions that you had with the game, and am just torn on if I should buy it or not. I owned NHL2k5, but didn't play 2k6 (instead opted to try out NHL06).

How is the presentation handled? This seemed to be a big complaint of NHL2k6, and I am wondering if it is any different...

Kingpen said:
Kabuki... From what you played on NHL2k6, and knowing that you are a hockey fan, are you going to buy it?

I value your impressions that you had with the game, and am just torn on if I should buy it or not. I owned NHL2k5, but didn't play 2k6 (instead opted to try out NHL06).

How is the presentation handled? This seemed to be a big complaint of NHL2k6, and I am wondering if it is any different...

I will end up buying it because i didnt buy any of the current gen hockey games this year.

The graphics are better on 360, but only noticable when looking at the Ice and crowd on replays. Thats it during gameplay it looked EXACT SAME as xbox version.

Interms of gameplay the Crease control is really fun, I can see me and friends having good fun when playing shootouts with that. Otherwise gameplay is same as well.
I would definately hold out for next years version if i had a current gen hockey fix.
Honestly its almost the same game graphically and interms of gameplay as the xbox version.

Mind you the version i played was supposedly from early october.

If you must get it wait till its $20.

Personally i think i will get because i need my hockey fix and i skipped the xbox version just cause i knew the 360 version was coming out.

edit: the gameplay feels quite a bit better than 2k5 tho. Alot of the problems i had with 2k5 seem to be cleared, like the effectiveness of poke checks and skating over the puck all the time.

Kingpen

Thanks for the info....

Any word on the rule changes being implemented alright? How was the frequency of penalties called? A lot? (like current NHL conditions) Different penalties called for variety?

Are there more cut scenes to add to the atmosphere presentation of the game? (This is something that I really like what Madden did in their 360 game)

I doubt the fighting engine got touched, but I can always hold out hope.

I usually buy a full price hockey title every year, so I guess I'll just get this version and justify it by the money I saved the past 2 years on the NHL2k budget price.

I'll just have to have a certain train of thought when I boot this up after NBA2k6...

Kingpen said:
Thanks for the info....

Any word on the rule changes being implemented alright? How was the frequency of penalties called? A lot? (like current NHL conditions) Different penalties called for variety?

Are there more cut scenes to add to the atmosphere presentation of the game? (This is something that I really like what Madden did in their 360 game)

I doubt the fighting engine got touched, but I can always hold out hope.

I usually buy a full price hockey title every year, so I guess I'll just get this version and justify it by the money I saved the past 2 years on the NHL2k budget price.

I'll just have to have a certain train of thought when I boot this up after NBA2k6...

Yea the rule changes were there, Penalties were not very frequent I think you can change these things in the options tho. I didnt get to fight when i played.

The best part about the game are the cutscenes because it really shows off all the little details in the game. The ice looks brilliant the way the skates leave marks is pretty awesome. If you didnt pick up 2k6 on xbox i think you would like it just because i feel it rips apart NHL06 in everything except presentation.

joystiq.com

Xbox 360: Popular Science’s top innovation for home entertainment this year

“The first of the next-generation gaming consoles, the new Xbox 360 is not just about games — the 360 is poised to take over the living room as well. The 360 is the first Media Center extender that receives and plays back HDTV from Media Center PCs, and it comes with a free lifetime subscription to the Xbox Live online service.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Plantronics GameCom(TM) X10C Headset Provides Xbox and Xbox 360 Enthusiasts With Great Sound and Comfort for Intense Online Gaming

SANTA CRUZ, Calif., Nov. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Plantronics, Inc.
(NYSE: PLT) today announced it has been selected by Microsoft to be an
official licensee of Xbox communicator and headset bundle for the Xbox(R)
video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The Plantronics GameCom
X10C headset, for use with the Xbox Live(R) online gaming service, provides
gamers with outstanding sound and voice quality for strategizing online with
friends across town and around the world.
The Plantronics GameCom X10C features a noise-canceling microphone to
eliminate unwanted background noise and ensure gamers' voices are clearly
heard during high-stakes game play. Gamers can also engage in long, intense
gaming sessions with maximum comfort and stability with the X10C's over-the-
head wearing style. Because the X10C is bundled with the Xbox communicator
module, users can chat with plug-and-play ease.
"Microsoft's selection of Plantronics as an official headset licensee for
Xbox is a testament to the quality of our products and the integral role
headsets play in enhancing the gaming experience," said Renee Niemi, vice
president of Mobile and Entertainment at Plantronics. "Plantronics and
Microsoft share a great history together in the gaming industry and we
continue to broaden our partnership."

Compatibility and Availability
The X10C headset is fully compatible with both the Xbox and Xbox 360(TM)
video game and entertainment systems from Microsoft, so gamers will experience
the same superior sound and voice quality once they upgrade to the new
console.
The Plantronics GameCom X10C has an estimated retail price of $29.99 and
is available now at major consumer electronics and gaming retailers. For more
information about the product, please visit http://www.plantronics.com. The
Plantronics GameCom X10 (without communicator module) is available today at
retailers and http://www.plantronics.com.

newsguy

Nice find Jeff. The people who won the 360 contests are going to have to give detailed impressions as most of the launch games will be out by then.

Top Bottom