• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

Raiden

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Kameo6.jpg

Kameo7.jpg

kameo3.jpg

Kameo1.jpg

Damn screens like this really arent good for my ''i aint gonna buy a 360 till i finished the good current gen games" plan.

Still cant believe there will be two new >RAREWARE< games on launch.

GCQuinton

Microsoft today announced that retailers nationwide are beginning to sell various Xbox 360 games, accessories, and Xbox Live retail offerings in advance of the November 22 console launch. Eager fans are encouraged to check with their local retail stores for information regarding specific Xbox 360 product availability.

To give gamers hands-on time with Xbox 360 prior to purchase, Microsoft is installing 30,000 Xbox interactive kiosks into retail locations worldwide, each outfitted with a state-of-the-art high-definition monitor, Xbox 360 controller, and playable versions of Microsoft Game Studio’s “Kameo: Elements of Power” and “HexicHD,” Activision’s “Call of Duty 2,” and Ubisoft’s “Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie.” Already set up at several retailers, the kiosks also feature game trailers, as well as virtual tours of the next-generation of Xbox Live and the unique Xbox 360 digital entertainment experiences.

“Offering Xbox 360 games, accessories, and Xbox Live products in advance of the November 22 console launch lets gamers and retailers jump in on the euphoria and prepare early for the hottest consumer electronics product launch of the decade,” said Peter Moore, Microsoft Corporate VP, Worldwide Marketing and Publishing.

A complete list of day-one games, accessories, and Xbox Live retail offerings available on November 22 will be announced next week.

http://www.syncgaming.com/index.php?page=viewnews&id=3659

Kinda obvious already, but Microsoft just confirmed the games and accessories going on sale.

SuperPac

I really hope it doesn't mean that the games and accessories are sold out when people go to get the machine on the 22nd. On the other hand, I hope I don't buy games and accessories only to not get a system on the 22nd.

If this whole shortage business is true I hope Sony turns that Sega/Peter Moore "Sorry about your supply problems" ad from the DC/PS2 days back around at 'im. 'Cuz if they ship anything less than Sony did on day one of PS2 I'll consider that a huge gaffe. :D

Has anyone gotten the XBL Marketplace point cards yet? Time to stock up.

Jeff-DSA

Blimblim said:
*sigh*
Still not even a review build (not even mentioning a 360 review kit) in sight here. MS Europe/France, how I love thee...

Are you supposed to be receiving your review kit before launch? How is Xboxyde's relationship with Microsoft?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jeff-DSA said:
Are you supposed to be receiving your review kit before launch? How is Xboxyde's relationship with Microsoft?
I don't have any official direct relationship with MS, it all works through a PR agency (working only with french fansites, so usually getting things 2-3 weeks late, if ever). I've been promised a review kit as soon as they are available but I'm not holding my breath, to say the least...
It's kinda sad considering how big xboxyde has become in the past few months.

Blimblim said:
I don't have any official direct relationship with MS, it all works through a PR agency (working only with french fansites, so usually getting things 2-3 weeks late, if ever). I've been promised a review kit as soon as they are available but I'm not holding my breath, to say the least...

Seriously drop a line to major@xbox.com and see if you can sort that out. He's got to be well aware of xboxyde's part in all of this.

IJoel

Blimblim said:

Very very disappointing. You guys have sold me and a lot of other people on Kameo. Something MS' PR seemed unable to do.

Heck, I'm still wondering what is it that they do. Their marketing leaves much to be desired.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
krypt0nian said:
Seriously drop a line to major@xbox.com and see if you can sort that out. He's got to be well aware of xboxyde's part in all of this.
Is that Larry's (major nelson) other Email? I've met him 4 times already so I'm well aware he can't do much to help me ;).
It's as "simple" as me being french and so getting about the same level of support as the other french sites, even if 70% of my visitors are non french speakers...
Ho well, I'll stop complaining now, let's not turn this excellent thread into something else.

Jeff-DSA

krypt0nian said:

Actually, we should all do that. We should let him know that we'd be happy to see xboxyde get some reviews up since we appreciate their media coverage so much. I think a few emails of support (providing they don't sound like they were encouraged from xboxyde) could go a long way.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jeff-DSA said:
Actually, we should all do that. We should let him know that we'd be happy to see xboxyde get some reviews up since we appreciate their media coverage so much. I think a few emails of support (providing they don't sound like they were encouraged from xboxyde) could go a long way.
Thanks, but please no.
Let's stop this discussion please, this topic is not here to discuss my issues with MS.

snatches

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wtf, how?

I called to clarify after getting the email and it turns out it could ship on Dec.1 if production meets expectations, but they told me to bet on the 6th, and they will know by the end of next week.

RE: DOA4 street date.

Excelion

Banned
I don't have any official direct relationship with MS, it all works through a PR agency (working only with french fansites, so usually getting things 2-3 weeks late, if ever).

is it heaven ? they contacted me about a Dreamfall promo since i've the only french fansite about it, but now they dont answer to my mails :-/

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, MS is all for stores selling games/accesories when they get them? awesome. that kameo open box pic gets me moist (down there)

Woo! I got Kameo when I went to pick up Guitar Hero. Transparent cases. Umm... disc and (full-color) instruction book...

"Trolls, as everyone knows, are nothing but trouble."

Edit: It sounds like co-op may only be for certain portions of the game: "Use the Change Level option to choose from the Co-operative battlegrounds on offer. These have been carefully selected from some of Kameo's most intense struggles against the Troll forces. But, you must have completed the adventures in single player before they are available to you in Co-operative split screen play."

Mr. Lemming said:
Edit: It sounds like co-op may only be for certain portions of the game: "Use the Change Level option to choose from the Co-operative battlegrounds on offer. These have been carefully selected from some of Kameo's most intense struggles against the Troll forces. But, you must have completed the adventures in single player before they are available to you in Co-operative split screen play."

argh NO!

full co-op was a big selling point for me ! they better not pull this shit with PDZ.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So I guess NBA2K6 will be in stores next week. I'll get that or Madden if it's out before launch. That way I don't have to wait around after camping.

SuperPac

Went over to Best Buy to see if they'd gotten their Kameos or had put any other accessories out. They didn't have Kameo, but they did have Pelican's A/V cables (which are S-Vid and composite).

360cables.jpg

They also had one Xbox 360 controller for Windows left. I would be interested in it if they had an official driver for Mac.

win360.jpg

Naturally the kiosk was garnering much attention from the curious, though not too many stop n' plays.

Mrbob

Yeah I agree full co-op should be offered from the beginning.

Kameo is supposed to get a patch near launch to enable online co-op. If you have to still go through the single player to use co-op online this would suck.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm sure PDZ has full co-op from the start, considering that Rare pulled that off on the N64...if you consider three frames per second "pulling it off."

Too bad about Kameo, though.

Bebpo

Banned
So I finally tried Kameo and wow...that was awful. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty postive about the launch at the moment and I think NBA2k6/PGR3/DoA4 will be a great launch triplet (well DoA4 maybe not so much, but I'm a fighting game purist so I need to play them all). Anyhow I can't see why anyone would buy Kameo over all the over quality launch titles and I think that the demo at the stands has got to be doing more harm then good. Let's see:

--30fps :(
--Completely non-friendly control scheme (hopefully this is changeable)
--Graphics that look like stuff PC games were doing last year at MORE than 30fps
--Horrible art that's 2nd only to Sudeki
--Not particularly fun to play

Add to that Rare's past Xbox experiences, and yea it seems like the usual launch game that sucks but you buy it anyway because it's an original IP on a new system.

I hope they get their shit together with PDZ, or everyone's going to be buying the BETTER launch titles and Rare will just be a laughing stock like the last 3-4 years ^^;

Anyhow just my opinion from 20mins with the game.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I liked it a lot, it was a lot of fun. The framerate is not a concern of mine, I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the framerate if the graphics hadn't looked so poor to me. At least in PGR3's case you get amazing visuals to trade off for unfortunately losing 60fps. Kameo should've at least been 60fps with its visual level.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the framerate if the graphics hadn't looked so poor to me. At least in PGR3's case you get amazing visuals to trade off for unfortunately losing 60fps. Kameo should've at least been 60fps with its visual level.

I really think they were showcasing the wrong level. I mean from the videos it seems like every other level in the game is much more impressive...

Mrbob

Bebpo said:

Some of us don't care about car racing games no matter the visual level. :D

Fifty

Yes well you're a fool.....a fool who's missing out on some great "car racing" games!

I bet you're holding out for the camel racers, aren't you?! They'll run at 60 fps for sure.

Fifty

Nowhere! Because I'm a tentative fool who wanted to screw himself over in the worst way. I'll head down to the downtown (suburbs are for pussies) Futureshop location to get in line before it opens (not sure when it'll open yet) and get a first-come first serve system like a real man!

Mrbob

Fifty said:
Yes well you're a fool.....a fool who's missing out on some great "car racing" games!

I bet you're holding out for the camel racers, aren't you?! They'll run at 60 fps for sure.

camel-racing.jpg

60 FPS confirmed. HAWT. Suck it down Madden!

Fifty said:
Nowhere! Because I'm a tentative fool who wanted to screw himself over in the worst way. I'll head down to the downtown (suburbs are for pussies) Futureshop location to get in line before it opens (not sure when it'll open yet) and get a first-come first serve system like a real man!

have fun getting mugged by Shinobi on your way home!

I Preordered from a place in mississauga who still has one preorder left as of this morning :p

In case anyone cares or something here are some other random facts about Kameo based off of the box and instructions. There aren't any story spoilers here but if you must have a virgin experience and clumsily figure out everything on your own without reading the instructions then skip this post:

has labels for [players 1] [co-op 2] (so a special coop label!) [100KB to save game] [HDTV 720p] [content download] [leaderboards]

the control listing has this to say about the xbox guide button "Preferences established in the Xbox Guide may override individual game settings. If changes made through the Game Options menu do not take effect, check that there is no conflict with your Xbox Guide settings" I am wondering if the controversy about the sensitivity controls in Perfect Dark Zero not seeming to work are related to this.

You can turn off Ortho, the guy who gives you hints and directions throughout the game. You can also make him "Very Helpful". There is also an option to change the orientation of the co-op split screen.

Automatic saving

While your energy bar/hit points are shared between all your forms, each character has a different spirit/mana bar so other forms can recharge while you are doing whatever.

Collectables in this game: Runes which are like money, and Elemental Fruit which let you level up your creatures. There are also elixir of life to extend your energy levels, and Crystal Eyes that "Kameo can use them to boost her combat prowess, at a cost" *shrug* no clue how that may be

Scoring system is based off of three factors, the number of trolls you kill (Carnage), how you kill them (Brutal), and how fast you kill them (Frenzy). There are also ways to get points outside of combat.

You can go back to previous points in the adventure if you wish to improve your score (Score Attack). There are rewards for scoring high including "a new look for your Warriors... and that's just for starters"

Helznicht

Kameo should've at least been 60fps with its visual level.

It would have been tough to do that Troll/Elf battle hub at 60 FPS. And you really dont want parts of the game 30 and the other 60. Im sure the parts of the demo could run at 60 if the hub runs at 30.

SuperPac

He is really racking up quite the Gamerscore. Wonder if he's just having the product managers come into his office and play in order to pump up his numbers. ;) I can't imagine that he has time to sit there and play all day like he seems to have been doing... crazy.

SuperPac said:
He is really racking up quite the Gamerscore. Wonder if he's just having the product managers come into his office and play in order to pump up his numbers. ;) I can't imagine that he has time to sit there and play all day like he seems to have been doing... crazy.

I doubt he is the one playing. Probably only played a few minutes of Live arcade and left.
Its like saying the president is going into war with new advanced weapons. They'll probably say/show he did when really he didn't. (just saying)

SonnyBoy

Kiosk spotting: Towson Mall in Baltimore, MD.

After visiting my local Gamestop to check my preorder status I was told that there was a kiosk at the mall. Of course I went to check it out and its was a beautiful sight.

The LCD screen is amazing. Im not a videophile at all so I dont know if this is top notch or not but its better than what I got at home. It was beautiful, vibrant and crystal clear.

The controller is a bit small for my hands, I think its a tad bit smaller than the S controller for the Box. Its not uncomfortable and the buttons seem placed well. I do seem to hit the shoulder buttons mistakenly but Im sure that would be remedied with extended play with the controller.

The 360 interface is very nice nothing much to say about it.

I was very dissapointed with the demos. The good games imo weren't playable. The ONLY game that held my attention was COD. Im sorry but Kameo isn't my thing. I hate the art direction and that particular genre has done nothing for me since I hit puberty. King Kong definately shows its current generation roots. Its definately a Xbox hyrbrid if you will. The levels show were very dark and hid a lot of detail. The controls seemed a bit sluggish but maybe its because you're controlling Kong and not Bruce Lee. COD definately looked like a high end PC game. Nothing really impressed me except for the particle effects. I threw a smoke grenade and was very impressed with the volume of the smoke, it was very realistic and definately a hinderance to my sight. I dont think I'll pick this game up, it doesn't have enough interacticity for my taste. I like to play around with everything and too much of the levels are static. (i didn't play it to the end, or any of the demos to the end cus of time). The PGR video was ho hum with glimpes of brilliance, looks really nice.

The console is very sexy looking. I think I'll like to keep mine horizontal. Kudos to MS for not being too much of a money mongering bastard in allowing the 360 to stand upright without having to purchase a $20 stand.

Top Bottom