• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, I stopped Majoras Mask to boot up Zelda II: Adventure of Link

Mrbob

How is Zelda II considered the black eye in the series? I'm playing it for the first time, and in spite of its primitive graphics and sound, the game is pretty damn fun. The game is like an RPG and side scrolling action game combined together. You have your overworld to travel too. Towns to visit. Dungeons to explore. Plus you can level up your weapon/health + game magical bonuses and new abilites as well. All in all, I find it better than the original Zelda game. Show me some more Zelda II love!

PhatSaqs

Banned
I liked it although it was easy as sin (aside from the copycat shadow link). I think most dissed it because it was a such a departure from the first one.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
How is Zelda II considered the black eye in the series? I'm playing it for the first time, and in spite of its primitive graphics and sound, the game is pretty damn fun. The game is like an RPG and side scrolling action game combined together. You have your overworld to travel too. Towns to visit. Dungeons to explore. Plus you can level up your weapon/health + game magical bonuses and new abilites as well. All in all, I find it better than the original Zelda game. Show me some more Zelda II love!

When you die and you're at the 6th dungeon, you have to start all the way back next to Zelda.

And trust me, it's a longass way to go.

Zelda II is excellent, and yeah, it's damn hard. I haven't finished it yet because I got sick of trekking through the side-scrolling area with the lizard (?) things throwing rocks at me and getting all those cheap hits every time I had a game over.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Damn. I must've been a gaming god @ the age of 12 or something because I remember wizzing through the game and forcing myself to stop for awhile so I wouldnt beat it so quick.

Zelda II is easy. Weaksauce gamers hate it because it's not like every other Zelda. Best Zelda ever, period (though it looks set to lose the title to the new MATURE ZELDA).

Mrbob

I can see the difficulty being a problem. The game definitely isn't easy that is for sure. I'm a stat leveling whore and love games where I can continually improve my character. So it'll probably eventually become a cakewalk. I'm guessing this game is emulated too because sometimes I hit mad bouts of slowdown in the game. -__-

Teddman

PhatSaqs said:
I liked it although it was easy as sin (aside from the copycat shadow link). I think most dissed it because it was a such a departure from the first one.
Shadow Link is easy if you know what to do.

Just crouch and repeatedly stab. He dies fast.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I pinned him againt the wall. hehe.

The music rocks in that game.

I owuld love to see another 2D Sidescrolling Zelda on GBA before it dies.

The subboss was much harder. Everyone said that you should use Thunder (to be able to hurt him at all), then Shield to survive longer and Jump so that you could reach him. I always found Jump to just mess up my timing with that floaty move, so I just used Shield and saved some magic for Life (IIRC).

The shadow was ridiculously easy. I had been told what to do, took him on my first try.

Drexon

Banned
In the first castle (or whatever) you go down an elevator and meet a knight, I couln't get past him no matter what I tried, what was it you should do?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Drexon said:
In the first castle (or whatever) you go down an elevator and meet a knight, I couln't get past him no matter what I tried, what was it you should do?
kick his ass

no seriously just kick his ass. they are tough at first if you are not used to zelda 2 but you will get it ;)

MaddenNFL64

Yeah, people don't like it because it's so different from other Zeldas.

I loved it though :). Plus there's that guy that says "I am Error" :lol.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Drexon said:
You need to master the art of the jump-stab attack.

snapty00

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm a stat leveling whore and love games where I can continually improve my character. So it'll probably eventually become a cakewalk.
That's what I thought. And to a point, that's what happens. But you get into diminishing returns, and towards the end of the game, you could have one piece of life or 60,000, and it just won't make any difference.

What always pissed me off was that random house in the woods that you NEED to find in order to get further in the game. Perhaps it's really obvious, but as a kid, I had no freaking clue what to do next... I finally found a strategy guide at the store and used that (no one even talked about the internet back then lol).

radcliff

Drexon said:

The knights are easy to defeat once you know what to do. Just jump at them and hit them in the head with your sword. The Knights almost never block a jumping blow.

Gchaime

It was the first zelda game i ever played, and after eventually hating it (because it played nothing like mario) i started loving it.

I don't recall finding it easy, infact i thought it was pretty hard. But in retrospect, seeing that i completed, it probably was easy. It was one of the few games i was being able to beat when i was a kid. So i clould probably just breeze through it today.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
One of my all-time fav NES games. Really would like to see Zelda re-establish some of the principle design mechanics that this game offered. (Leveling, magic, experience generatinmg sidequests/secrets)

Late-game is pretty devious though, particularly the punishing nature of starting way back at Hyrule Castle upon losing continues. (Shortcuts help)

And that town with the invisible eyeballs Ferrio mentioned was pretty brutal.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
When you die and you're at the 6th dungeon, you have to start all the way back next to Zelda.

takes like 4 minutes!

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Mrbob said:

IAWTP. Still some areas as others have mentioned were pretty brutal. Great game, will be picking it up again soon.

White Man

I think Zelda 2 probably has the best sword fighting mechanics in the series. I remember being disappointed that Wind Waker decided to go with flahier swordfights than more strategic ones.

snapty00

Banned
Parries themselves in Wind Waker were cool, but the way they were executed felt cheap. They were all but scripted.

BenT

I called the Nintendo gameplay counselors in an attempt to find out how to beat the shadow, which totally kicked my ass a few times. Their sage advice?

"Use your sword."

My nine-year-old self stood there for a moment, completely confused and flustered by the utter uselessness that had just emerged from the phone. Unable to form further words, I just hung up. Never called those fuckers again.

Kon Tiki

Banned
BenT said:
I called the Nintendo gameplay counselors in an attempt to find out how to beat the shadow, which totally kicked my ass a few times. Their sage advice?

"Use your sword."

My nine-year-old self stood there for a moment, completely confused and flustered by the utter uselessness that had just emerged from the phone. Unable to form further words, I just hung up. Never called those fuckers again.

Did you call the wrong number?

Nintendo's help line has always been helpful to me. I called once for help in FFII. Without telling him what game I was playing, he knew I was playing FFII, more specfically where I was, based on the music in the background. In addition they actually called me back and asked me how well I did.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Zelda II is a fantastic game. I think the hate it gets has much more to do with the fact that it plays absolutely nothing like the original, than any real complaints about the gameplay it did offer in the end. It's also aged much better than the original, although admittedly, that could be due to the fact that there are very few games that play like that, even today.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
takes like 4 minutes!

Maybe not the sixth, but you have to travel to the next continent through the caves, and through the maze with the invisible enemy areas. Later on if you're at the last or second to last, you have to go through the area with the giant fence, and the caves with the invisible enemies. It's fucking ridiculous.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
AniHawk said:

I had a way to get around this when I would go to beat the game years ago:

I noticed that getting any level-up from xp after all stats are 8/8/8, you get a 1up at the end. And I also noticed that clearing a castle would automatically raise your xp to the next level. So I would play the whole game through and never fully finish a castle out... then, when ready to finish the game, I'd tour the whole map and kill each castle off for good, getting extra lives on the way.

Marching through those swamps and all that crap to the last boss wasn't as bad with 7 people in reserve.

jett

D-Member
Zelda 2 is awesome.

And the losers that complain about starting back at Hyrule Castle have never actually gotten to the last palace. Once you reach it you continue from there when lose all your lives.

snapty00

Banned
jett said:
And the losers that complain about starting back at Hyrule Castle have never actually gotten to the last palace. Once you reach it you continue from there when lose all your lives.
That's nice, but you have to actually get there first.

AeroGod

Awesome game. Second best in the series right behind LttP. Id like to see the mechanics of leveling up be brought back to the game, maybe even another side scroller for GBA

AniHawk

jett said:
Zelda 2 is awesome.

Yes, the problem is GETTING to the last palace. I haven't figured out a way to avoid the invisible enemies or kill them at all yet.

And I was at the fucking dragon boss, and when I killed it, I FELL INTO THE LAVA. GAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

It's not so much the game is difficult (I got to the 7th palace in about 5-6 hours), it's just that it has some really frusterating elements to it.

jett

D-Member
Maybe my memory is failing me, but I believe that the cross makes all previously invisible enemies visible.

And yeah, most 8-bit games are extremely frustrating. :p

AniHawk

jett said:
Maybe my memory is failing me, but I believe that the cross makes all previously invisible enemies visible.

And yeah, most 8-bit games are extremely frustrating. :p

I think it only lasts in an area, and it uses up a lot of magic.

jett

D-Member
AniHawk said:
I think it only lasts in an area, and it uses up a lot of magic.

o_O It's not a magic power. It's an non-consumable item, like the hammer and the magical key.

I just wanted to say that beating Shadow Link was one of my most cherished childhood gaming memories.

And Link downthrusting is one of my favorite all time sprites.

Top Bottom