• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so Nintendo might actually be going online finally. . .

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i can picture it now

after all this massive hype

SURPRISE! it was just the DS all along

*awkward silence*
*people go loco*

"Oh yeah, yeah... Like maybe the announcement...is the place inside each
of us, created by our goodwill and teamwork."

Grubdog

Banned
errr, it obviously has something to do with the DS, and I doubt anything else is involved. What do you mean "just" the DS all along?

Unless DS's can be used as a new type of GC controller? OMG!1

Memles

Grubdog said:
errr, it obviously has something to do with the DS, and I doubt anything else is involved. What do you mean "just" the DS all along?

Unless DS's can be used as a new type of GC controller? OMG!1

I think what he means is that it is simply going to be that Warp Pipe is involved in creating some form of middleware being used in the process of locating nearby gamers and starting games with them.

Ollie Pooch

Memles said:
I think what he means is that it is simply going to be that Warp Pipe is involved in creating some form of middleware being used in the process of locating nearby gamers and starting games with them.

what he said :D

thats exactly what im scared it will turn out to be - it's highly unlikely given the amount of hype given to it - but i always have to maintain my cynicism :p i think it's also because i've allowed myself to get completely sucked in by said hype and am preparing myself to come crashing down !

News story on N-sider.com

With some actual info for once!

"N-Sider Exclusive: Warp Pipe Technologies Reveals New Product Name and Logo
by Dean Bergmann

Later tonight, Warp Pipe Technologies will reveal the logo for their new highly secretive product, officially named "Demasked", which has been the hot topic around the Nintendo community as of late.

In an interview with CEO and Founder of Warp Pipe Technologies, Chad Paulson, N-Sider was able to learn more about the nature of the software.

N-Sider: Anyone familiar with Warp Pipe Technologies will know that you guys created a tunnelling service for the GameCube, but this current project is a departure, can you explain why?

Chad Paulson: Tunneling is not consumer friendly, to say the least. Our interests are in bringing gamers together. In order to do this, we had to make some choices and we decided to work on something that would be much more accessible to gamers.

N-S: The ‘viral marketing’ that has occurred to stir interest in the Demasked service has caused quite a buzz around the Nintendo Online community, do you have any thoughts or comments on how people have gone about interpreting the images and riddles that have been laid out for them?

Chad: Overall, I think the response to our "transmissions' have been well received. In sending these "transmissions" our goal is to bring gamers together to cooperate and, in the context of our clues, discuss what they feel about contemporary multi player; especially with respect to online gaming. With any type of message you send, especially across the Internet, you will have a group of people who over analyze things until they have exhausted all possible meanings.

N-S: What made you decide to start developing this service, any life event or influence that made it all ‘click’ one day?

Chad: My personal experience with online gaming.

N-S: The logo is definitely different, what inspired its creation, and will this replace the traditional “Warp Pipe” logo that we’ve all come to recognize?

Chad: We wanted to convey a new level of interactivity. Jon Wilcox, our Creative Director, was able to do this with the striking logo you see today. It represents the plethora of new possibilities that await after you've been "demasked". As we have confirmed today, this logo represents the "demasked" service. This does not change Warp Pipe Technologies' corporate branding.

N-S: What do you hope to accomplish with this new service for the Nintendo DS, how will it bring a change to the way gamers interact both online and off?

Chad: I believe multi player gaming is a very interactive experience because, not only are you interacting with the game, but you are also interacting with the individuals who are playing alongside you. The enjoyment of the game is often times the sum of the game plus the level of familiarity you have with the people who are playing with you. There is a level of camaraderie and intimacy that exists when playing games with your friends which is except when playing anonymously. It is because of these very cold, and sometimes harsh confrontations that online gaming isn't more widely adopted by the mainstream. Companies have focused on the technology rather than the social aspect of multi player online gaming. They have just begun to back-pedal recently, attempting to add more "interactive" features in hopes that the experience will become more intimate and real. Our service will address these issues. As for how we will do this, I look forward to addressing that in the not so distant future.

I look forward to sharing all the possibilities made possibly by Demasked with gamers and publishers all over the world.

Stay tuned to N-Sider in the coming weeks, as a full preview will be "Demasked" exclusively in late October / early November. But for now, keep your eye on Demasked.com for new transmissions and clues as to what the Demasked software will actually be."

logofinaltm.jpg

Memles

Wow...that confirmed nothing. Although they keep mentioning online. Should be interesting to see how exactly they plan on socializing Multiplay.

Hajaz

DavidDayton said:
Xlink has -never- been better than Warppipe, in all the trials I've done. I've seen that claim bandied about again and again, but Xlink just plain stinks when compared to Warppipe's GameCube support -- assuming you're using the 0.4.5(?) beta linked to from w ithin the forums.

actually,

Warppipe was slower then Kai for a long time, untill they copied Xlinks aproach of non-compression (in the the so called "megaton" builds)

However, It seems that Chad hasnt spoken to his developers in months, and the WPdevelopers have stated that they couldnt take GCtunneling any further.
There is also NO warppipe office in Chicago, someone actually went on foot to the adress and there was nothing there.
My guess is that Chad has been hired by some company (not nintendo) to generate hype for their DS related product, and he's using the warppipe community for that.

In the meanwhile teamxlink have ditched Winpcapp (the component all tunnels have used for years to capture the consoles data). This move has made the new beta build of Kai *dramatically* faster then Warpipe or XBC for that matter.
I actually had a 60fps game playing from Brussels to Manchester on a 196kbs up line last night.

Dont believe me? Youll see in two weeks when it goes public. (If you can get over your Chad-fanboyism and actually give Kai a try that is).

Cheers

Hajaz, Xlink moderator

Hajaz said:
There is also NO warppipe office in Chicago, someone actually went on foot to the adress and there was nothing there.
My guess is that Chad has been hired by some company (not nintendo) to generate hype for their DS related product, and he's using the warppipe community for that.

Dont believe me? Youll see in two weeks when it goes public. (If you can get over your Chad-fanboyism and actually give Kai a try that is).

Cheers

Hajaz, Xlink moderator

Self-owned soon enough. I went to the Chicago location and never said there wasn't an office. I said I couldn't get in.

Some people are so damn stupid.

Kon Tiki

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Self-owned soon enough. I went to the Chicago location and never said there wasn't an office. I said I couldn't get in.

Some people are so damn stupid.
Hajaz is not stupid. You can not refute his claims on Xlink. He speaks the truth.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
BACK STABBING DRAMA I should say.

Personally I don't give a rats arse whether it truly is some weird online device for DS or not, I will have enough fun randomly drawing penises and sending them to my friend in the same apartment complex I live.

I gave up on this whole search for the ghost when they posted that video. After that happened, everything literally flew out the window. Cool logo though.

Society said:
Hajaz is not stupid. You can not refute his claims on Xlink. He speaks the truth.

Couldn't care less about xlink......I know he's stupid when referring to MY report about the Warp Pipe office though, don't I?

He's a fucking stooge.

Kon Tiki

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Couldn't care less about xlink......I know he's stupid when referring to MY report about the Warp Pipe office though, don't I?

He's a fucking stooge.
A fool, not stupid. Same chould be said for you for following this 'game' as well.

Society said:
A fool, not stupid. Same chould be said for you for following this 'game' as well.

Yeah so unfounded personal atks are cool now. No more a fool than anyone who posted in this thread. He's patenty LYING and I called him on it.

Stupid enough to get his facts wrong. Defend the stupid.

Tenguman

hah, so according to that interview, all this shit Chad had been spewing is nonsense to get gamers together and talk about multiplayer ideas that stray from the norm.

that's all that its been pretty much. Bullshit to get us talking about multiplayer.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Tenguman said:
hah, so according to that interview, all this shit Chad had been spewing is nonsense to get gamers together and talk about multiplayer ideas that stray from the norm.

that's all that its been pretty much. Bullshit to get us talking about multiplayer.

yeah...

Until he reveals the software he has been working on for a year in late october/early november.

Tenguman said:

Are you surprised?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else starting to enjoy the letdown that comes after massive hype?

Ollie Pooch

catfish said:
Is anyone else starting to enjoy the letdown that comes after massive hype?

methinks maybe they started the hype train a little too early!

we'll see i guess - i'm prepping myself for disappointment as i always do. as it becomes more and more likely that nintendo aren't involved at all - its harder to get excited.. but they could still surprise us :p

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hajaz said:
In the meanwhile teamxlink have ditched Winpcapp (the component all tunnels have used for years to capture the consoles data). This move has made the new beta build of Kai *dramatically* faster then Warpipe or XBC for that matter.
I actually had a 60fps game playing from Brussels to Manchester on a 196kbs up line last night.

Hey, when a working program gets released, I'll try it. I really could care less whether I'm running Xlink or Warppipe -- I just get sick of folks arguing that one is "better" when I never see any increase in speed.

The removal of winpcapp sounds good, though. When the new xlink gets released, I'll gladly try it.

I'd LOVE either Warppipe or Xlink to release their tunneling software as a plug in for the various instant messanger programs out there, though... I run Trillian, and it is a bit annoying to have either WP or Xlink running as an IM program when it could theoretically be spliced INTO Trillian... or Gaim... etc..

Hajaz

krypt0nian said:
Yeah so unfounded personal atks are cool now. No more a fool than anyone who posted in this thread. He's patenty LYING and I called him on it.

Stupid enough to get his facts wrong. Defend the stupid.

lmao

i didnt even read your report.
I honnestly couldnt be bothered to read 11 pages about what might aswel be the Gamecubes equivalent of Ilovbees :D

every LLC in america must register with the governemt - a searchable list is maintained - Warppipe LLC does not exist
The stats of illinois maintains its own business list - no mention of WPP
we've actually had a *real person* (not Krypt0nian!) in chicago go to the central government office there and ask for the location of WPP technologies LLC - no record
Trademarks must be registered in the US - before that can be used... see the "TM" on "Demasked" on their site ?? .. No such trademark
Both WPP and Demasked websites are hosted on the same physical server
the DNS servers for WPP are commercial
the ones for dmasked are throught a university DNS

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Hajaz said:
i'm sure he did...
I like to look at the facts tho, and the facts are what i stated above.

Just keep denying it because we know Chad and Dean are pathalogical liars that want to bring all of this hype crashing down on them. Get a clue dude, the office real. Just go back to your tunneling and get the hell out of here.

Hajaz said:
well oktober has passed...

*watches tumbleweed roll by*

any comments kryptonian?

Didn't think anyone cared so didn't bother...

Warp Pipe "Demasked" Project Delayed
by Cory Faller

"Demasked," the current hot project being developed by the team at Warp Pipe Technologies, has seen a delay into 2005. The Demasked project, a mysterious service being developed for the Nintendo DS, has been a hot topic of discussion throughout the Nintendo community. N-Sider interviewed Chad Paulson, CEO of Warp Pipe Technologies, about the project in early October.

According to a source close to the project, outside interest has prompted the delay. Another party breaking into the mobile gaming industry has expressed interest in the Demasked service, which has prompted Warp Pipe Technologies to re-evaluate market conditions while they focus on raising the bar for their launch functionality and deployment ability.

The delay of the project carries with it a delay of the announcement that was to unveil the true nature of the project itself. In a post on the N-Sider forums, Chad apologized for the postponement.

"I apologize to those who were expecting information on demasked in November. Although, immediate gratification is not possible, I really look forward to pulling back the curtain and sharing the demasked experience with gamers around the globe."

When Warp Pipe is ready to fully divulge the details of the Demasked project, you can be sure that N-Sider will be first on the scene.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry about this whole fiasco. Not like I am going to lose sleep or anything but all those cryptic clues seriously hyped everything up for those select hardcore fanatics who shovelled and munched on every word that came from Chad's arsehole.

Best piece of advice: Never hype anything up until you have 100% knowledge that whatever it is you're trying to excite the masses with, will be unveiled at the proposed time without delay.

Top Bottom