• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Doh! Thanks. I thought they changed the combat a bit to make it better, like the space wasn't as tight or something... maybe it's only graphical.

I kinda wish there were tweaks to it, but at the same time it's nice that it's preserved in time. I'm going to order the Japanese copy so I have it on disk. I really wish that they released a small run of collectors editions on disk in the US.

Now we just pray to the framerate gods...

Is Play-Asia the best place to buy a Japanese copy?

flattie

I've got a white 320GB slim arriving Friday and I cannot wait to be able to sink my teeth into this gem - all in shiny HD!

My memory of Okami is hazy at best but the Cherry Tree ones certainly look to be tricky.

The rest I think I've done on the PS2 :D

Nah, those are really easy to do too.

4 or less Game Over and Continues.
550 Enemies or more defeated.
4 Million or more yen (YES you can spend it, they count the TOTAL amount).
300 or more demon fangs (YES you can spend these)
4500 or more Praise (You can spend it)

Am I out of the loop or do I just not know that there was an Okami 2? I know there was that DS spiritual successor like the Brave Fencer Musashi which was kind of a spiritual sequel, but it was done by a different team and it sucked. So yeah, Okami 2? Am I still drunk?

Am I out of the loop or do I just not know that there was an Okami 2? I know there was that DS spiritual successor like the Brave Fencer Musashi which was kind of a spiritual sequel, but it was done by a different team and it sucked. So yeah, Okami 2? Am I still drunk?
The original game was split into three distinct chapters. When people say Okami 2, they're referring to the second chapter of the game.

Looks great. Although I'll probably just play my PS2 copy that I have had in my backlog for years (no point in wasting it), I'm glad that this game is getting the HD treatment it deserves.

I have a PS3 but why no 360 port?

I would assume it's because the X360 has no equivalent of the Wii Remote and Playstation Move.

Yeah, that's why Stranger's Wrath isn't on there.

No way. I have to see a source of that because it sounds like BS to me. Stranger's Wrath isn't a full retail game, it's a PSN game. On Xbox 360 it would have been an arcade game and those do not require any set of sold units.

StuBurns

Banned
No way. I have to see a source of that because it sounds like BS to me. Stranger's Wrath isn't a full retail game, it's a PSN game. On Xbox 360 it would have been an arcade game and those do not require any set of sold units.
No, it wouldn't, XBLA games have a size limit, and SW, and presumably Okami HD, are too large.

Yes way. Stranger's Wrath HD was too big to release on XBLA and didn't originally sell enough units to release on GoD. JAW were apparently approached a few times by Microsoft in trying to get around these issues but always ended up at a dead end.

No, it wouldn't, XBLA games have a size limit, and SW, and presumably Okami HD, are too large.

Really? Stranger's Wrath is too big when countless of big XBLA games are not? I've played Stranger's Wrath and I don't recall it being all that big. But it makes sense I suppose. Aren't Games on Demand games purely games that have been previously released in retail (on Xbox 360 or otherwise)?

StuBurns

Banned
Really? Stranger's Wrath is too big when countless of big XBLA games are not? I've played Stranger's Wrath and I don't recall it being all that big. But it makes sense I suppose. Aren't Games on Demand games purely games that have been previously released in retail (on Xbox 360 or otherwise)?
XBLA games can't be bigger than two GB, they couldn't make SW less than that, and I seriously doubt Okami is less than that.

And yes GoD is only for retail games, and SW, and Okami were retail games.

XBLA games can't be bigger than two GB, they couldn't make SW less than that, and I seriously doubt Okami is less than that.

And yes GoD is only for retail games, and SW, and Okami were retail games.

Well Okami is a completely different story lol, I ain't arguing about that.

Just did a Google search and indeed Stranger's Wrath is a retail game, released for the original Xbox. I had no idea, I thought it was made this gen. That explains the for-this-day-and-age terrible graphics, but I just thought it was because of a low budget. You learn something new every day.

TripOpt55

A Plus discount would be nice. I'll be grabbing this for sure even if I don't have the time to replay it right away. Will try and grab everything this time around.

Withnail

I think MS have allowed a few XBLA games to go over 2GB before, and I'm pretty sure JAW said they've got SW under 2GB now anyway. The main reason SW is not on XBLA is because Oddworld Inhabitants want to publish it themselves but MS don't recognise them as a publisher. This obviously wouldn't be a problem for Okami.

Ravidrath

Yeah, that's why Stranger's Wrath isn't on there.

Vesperia didn't break a million, and it's on Games on Demand.

Games on Demand is just for disc games - you're just downloading a 360 disc ISO, instead of the XBLA package format. Since this was never a disc game, it can't be GoD.

I think it's more that Capcom didn't want to charge less than $20, and MS has a cap of $15 on most XBLA games.

StuBurns

Banned
Vesperia didn't break a million, and it's on Games on Demand.

Games on Demand is just for disc games - you're just downloading a 360 disc ISO, instead of the XBLA package format. Since this was never a disc game, it can't be GoD.

I think it's more that Capcom didn't want to charge less than $20, and MS has a cap of $15 on most XBLA games.
Versperia was a 360 game, it's ports that require a million units.

EDIT:
Microsoft reject a Games on Demand release for three reasons:

With Games on Demand, if the title has already been released on another platform, it would have to be an HD remake. "Well we were doing that anyway."

Games on Demand games have to have achievements. "Well, we already added Trophies and Steam achievements so that's not a problem."

You have to have sold a million units at retail. "Well, we haven't done that."

The minimum retail price is the equivalent of $20 in Microsoft Points. "We said, we're releasing it at $15 on PS3. Why would we charge Xbox users more? They said, oh, we can maybe work to that but we'll have to do another submission process."

mao2

Those at Play-Asia are actually the e-capcom editions, hence the higher price. This is the standard edition @US$52.90 (4,200yen).
http://www.play-asia.com/Okami_Zekkeiban_HD_Remaster/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-57vx.html

Based on Capcom's previous releases (Biohazard Revival Selection and Biohazard Chronicles HD Selection), I don't think the Japanese version will include any English language option. I hope I'm wrong though.

Additions:
- Skippable Text
Great! I only played Okami on PS2 for less than an hour, but I recall being irritated that I could not skip text when I was done reading. The game dialogue is in Banjo-Kazooie/Animal Crossing-esque incoherent talking, why the hell was I being forced to hear it?

Top Bottom