• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

All those poor Canucks are going to miss out. :(

There are zero sad Canucks.

Edit: that okc deactivate and wait 7 days is pretty BS. I acrivated mine and deactivated it 1 hour later with no problems.

You didn't have to wait a week? Mine said I couldn't deactivate. That's weird. Whatevs, it's deactivated now.

Oh, also, just want to share one of the last messages I got, cause it made me laugh.

Some guy said I "looked like a bitch" and he wanted me to "beat him up". lmao

There are zero sad Canucks.

You didn't have to wait a week? Mine said I couldn't deactivate. That's weird. Whatevs, it's deactivated now.

Oh, also, just want to share one of the last messages I got, cause it made me laugh.

Some guy said I "looked like a bitch" and he wanted me to "beat him up". lmao

:lol Tabris and the other delusional Canucks fans prove otherwise.

You should message me if

"You're not going to catfish me (legitimate fear hahah) not a fan of the generic "hello"s and cheesy pickup lines! I'm not really in to docile, nerdy men, been there and it's just not for me.

I don't reply selectively so don't be shy! 8)"

• Replies very selectively

^The Cake Is A Lie

Lucario

You should message me if

"You're not going to catfish me (legitimate fear hahah) not a fan of the generic "hello"s and cheesy pickup lines! I'm not really in to docile, nerdy men, been there and it's just not for me.

I don't reply selectively so don't be shy! 8)"

• Replies very selectively

^The Cake Is A Lie

........... I normally try not to pick apart dating profiles, but that's pretty cringe-worthy.

Az987

all good things
Have you guys ever used speeddate.com? I was looking for something that involves webcams from the start because I look better live than in pics and I found that so I signed up.

Then all this crap started popping up telling me I'm going on my first date and then like 10 more within the next 30 seconds and I got scared so I closed it.

Futureman

ha! so a chick and I are going to meet this week. She asked if I was free tonight, I'm not, so I said we should just be cheesy and meet on Valentine's Day.

she responded:

"u have to meet me on vday with a single rose whilst wearing a pin striped fedora"

ha! so a chick and I are going to meet this week. She asked if I was free tonight, I'm not, so I said we should just be cheesy and meet on Valentine's Day.

she responded:

"u have to meet me on vday with a single rose whilst wearing a pin striped fedora"

haha awesome.
Tell her you'll come with one of those two, it's a surprise

morch

Heres my fake account

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/domkiwi

I added the line to not message me.

30 new messages.

just added myself to visitor list (soachris)... seriously people fall for it, surely after the dont message me, and the shovelling snow bit it should be obvious?

Anyway, on my profile, I'm trying to work out what to message to get past the 10s women get every day... only ones that are responding are the ones in the city i go on holiday to in 6 weeks (Tokyo, thought i might as well try snag a date there for research's sake)

completely oddball but safe and tangentally related questions seem to be the winner, i'm fairly short (5ft 6/7), not too attractive or ugly, and balding, therefore i'm hitting above my weight in confidence since i have little to lose... not doing too bad, no dates yet but it's a good complement to real life

cheers gaf

Leeness

Still on match.com sadly lol.

Winks from 50 and older...

And if I do strike up a conversation with someone, I guess I scare them off after one message.. Oh well.

It ends at the end of February! :D

zlatko

Banned

And if I do strike up a conversation with someone, I guess I scare them off after one message.. Oh well.

What exactly do you do in messages? Granted the few we sent back and forth on OKC, it was a bit like pulling teeth with you. You didn't by any means ask questions back for a good chunk of them, and were replied to in a very brief format. Personally, I don't care because you had interesting things to say, and I knew you'd reply if I replied back to you, but other guys may feel that you are being cold and trying to brush them off if you aren't asking questions back about them too.

Not sure if that's the case on what you are doing though on match or not.

As for an update on my statuses. Girl 1 who I had a really great date with has more or less grinded down conversing via text to not be existant it seems. Girl 2, after that date day, has not replied to the one text I'll send in the morning for the 2 days after. So, I guess they just said they had a great time and want to do shit again, but probably thought it sucked in all reality or I gave them the friend vibe. Oh well that's life. I'm not totally hopeless over girl 1, she HAS replied, and was the one who brought up doing a faux vday date, so I think I just have to work really hard. Until she doesn't reply for a few days like girl 2 I will definitely respond back. It's her turn now though, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Whoever posted that video earlier of the stand up about texting is super right. It just pisses me off people can't find 1 minute out of their day in 12+ hours to just give a simple text. "Hey I'm really busy today, sorry I can't talk. hope your day kicks ass, I'll text you more when I can." Boom that there is all a fella needs so he isn't a worry wart like I am. :/

Either way I'm not doing what I would've normally done which is digging myself into a hole by closing down my OKC now that there was 2 girls I wanted to see where things go with either. I said fuck that noise, and keep on grinding. So tonight I met another really cool girl on there, and she hit on me quite hard, gave me her digits, and wants to hang out next week. :D Oh and i got one other girls # tonight too who gave her # to me...problem is her pics aren't good enough to gauge her proper attractiveness. Either way we'll see how it goes.

Oh and as an aside...girl 2 I went on a date with this weekend, is friends with the very first girl I ever went on a date with off OKC that lead to some serious fooling around. She knows her from orchestra off campus. Small world man. :p

Leeness

What exactly do you do in messages? Granted the few we sent back and forth on OKC, it was a bit like pulling teeth with you. You didn't by any means ask questions back for a good chunk of them, and were replied to in a very brief format. Personally, I don't care because you had interesting things to say, and I knew you'd reply if I replied back to you, but other guys may feel that you are being cold and trying to brush them off if you aren't asking questions back about them too.

Not sure if that's the case on what you are doing though on match or not.

I've deleted them all out of sadness, but I was asking questions. I asked one guy where he worked, what he was doing there, how he ended up there. The first time I messaged him (I started the emails), I asked about his moving (from one country to another) and a few other things.

And the last email I sent was a question because he had mentioned he was going to go on an outdoor activity the other day, so I asked the day after if it had gone well because it was raining pretty badly in my area, and I said "I hope you weren't rained out!".

Other one that stopped, he asked about movies, I asked back.

Oh well. Not for me.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I made a profile today while I was bored at work. I figure I don't meet any one in my spare time, so I may as well try online dating. The awkward part was that one of my first matches is my roommate, and I know we don't get along. Oh well. We'll see how it goes. Some girl just messaged me right now. I'm still terrified of getting out there, but it is better than not trying anything.

Ashhong

Being in a relationship with a girl that wants to take it slow is hard. I have no idea when to make any moves or not. It's a relationship now so I should feel comfortable but I'm still feeling hesitant about a lot of the things I do with her. Hope things get better once more time goes by..

On a more OKC related note, my fake male model account still gets hits and messages daily. I should probably deactivate it...but I still like sending out the panty line from time to time haha

I made a profile today while I was bored at work. I figure I don't meet any one in my spare time, so I may as well try online dating. The awkward part was that one of my first matches is my roommate, and I know we don't get along.

do_it.gif

........... I normally try not to pick apart dating profiles, but that's pretty cringe-worthy.
Not cringe-worthy but still abit amusing, imo

Q: Are you annoyed by people who are super logical? A: No Explanation: “I'm a very logical thinking, it's part of what I do for my degree is logical, and percise thinking.”

RoH

You're an attractive person, but at the end of the day for the good ones at least, you have to be more than that. Knowing and leveraging your flair/panache will cause you to shine--brightly. You seemly have have some Ace's use them!

Leeness

You're an attractive person, but at the end of the day for the good ones at least, you have to be more than that. Knowing and leveraging your flair/panache will cause you to shine--brightly. You seemly have have some Ace's use them!

I am nice, I bake, I like hockey and camping and going to see movies and plays. ._.

I saw a girl Im intereted in on the site. What is the best way to get a response back if I message her? I heard that if you ask her something that you noticed on her profile usually gets there attention so I noticed she had tatoos in her pics and was going to ask her what there significance was. any tips?

zlatko

Banned
I've deleted them all out of sadness, but I was asking questions. I asked one guy where he worked, what he was doing there, how he ended up there. The first time I messaged him (I started the emails), I asked about his moving (from one country to another) and a few other things.

And the last email I sent was a question because he had mentioned he was going to go on an outdoor activity the other day, so I asked the day after if it had gone well because it was raining pretty badly in my area, and I said "I hope you weren't rained out!".

Other one that stopped, he asked about movies, I asked back.

Oh well. Not for me.

That's some bull shit then, but you can't totally blame it on you. I can log into a lot of messages some night even as a guy on a site, and maybe in that evening I'm more taken aback by someone in particular, or before you messaged this guy he was talking to someone else for a while, and just then it picked up to them meeting in person so he doesn't want to spread himself out until he see's where that goes, if anywhere.

We're all competing for each other's attention.

Fuck Valentine's day tomorrow, no date, no valentine. Sunday is my birthday. :/ Feeling low, hate this time of year every year. *sigh*

Maddocks

I saw a girl Im intereted in on the site. What is the best way to get a response back if I message her? I heard that if you ask her something that you noticed on her profile usually gets there attention so I noticed she had tatoos in her pics and was going to ask her what there significance was. any tips?

say hi, avoid asking for sex. ask a couple of questions, try to add humor. Expect the worst.

Fuck Valentine's day tomorrow, no date, no valentine. Sunday is my birthday. :/ Feeling low, hate this time of year every year. *sigh*

I know that feeling well. it worse when you log into facebook and all your friends are in relationships and happy and showing off their gifts. Time to move into a cave and become bane.

zlatko

Banned
say hi, avoid asking for sex. ask a couple of questions, try to add humor. Expect the worst.

I know that feeling well. it worse when you log into facebook and all your friends are in relationships and happy and showing off their gifts. Time to move into a cave and become bane.

That's exactly how my facebook is too.

All the of confidence I've had for the last few weeks has basically been dwindled now. So many girls I was interacting with, still a solid chunk I am, but it sucks to not have 1 that I can get my shit schedule to line up with, or that is really into me and vice versa.

I guess I just hate the the bull shit and hoops you have to go through with women to prove you're not a douche canoe and are worth their time.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What happened? Everything seemed to be coming up zlatko the last...
All the of confidence I've had for the last few weeks has basically been dwindled now. So many girls I was interacting with, still a solid chunk I am, but it sucks to not have 1 that I can get my shit schedule to line up with, or that is really into me and vice versa.
Oh, that's what. Do you mean you can't line your schedule around Valentine's Day or just in general? Why is your schedule so bad? That sucks man, I saw you as an inspiration. What happened to the women you were feeling closest with? Friend zoned?
zlatko said:
I guess I just hate the the bull shit and hoops you have to go through with women to prove you're not a douche canoe and are worth their time.
Blame the other men I say. If so many weren't douche canoes we wouldn't have to prove we aren't!
I like this format someone in here suggested. I've only used it twice with a 50% success rate.

Status update: Really happy with how my conversation is going on Facebook with a woman I met through the site. She's actually exactly one year younger than me. Unfortunately we won't be able to grab coffee until she gets her license; she's taking the test at the end of the month.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I rehash stuff that's already been dealt with a hundred times.

I joined okcupid just recently, and I finally decided to try to use it a few days ago. I've sent out a few messages to girls with a lot of common interests.

I have to say that I was not prepared for the soul-crushing feeling of the no-reply. I know you aren't supposed to take this personally, but it really does feel like a value-judgment. There's a unique kind of disappointment when you realize that you aren't going to get a reply from a girl you were excited about, as you check her profile and see that she's been online at least three times since you sent the message. If that sounds like stalking, whatever. It's the most benign kind.

I know I need to make this a numbers game and not take any single outcome personally. How do you guys who have struggled with no-replies keep your cool about you?

Maddocks

welcome!

hard to say, some members take it very personal and will attack the girl verbally for ignoring them and others will turn inward and self hate themselves for not being good enough. Its best to go about it that its not a reflection on you, but the site as she is probably getting 15-25 messages daily and a good chuck are,"hey" and "wanna fuck?" thats why its best to message many girls and expect almost all of them will ignored. But that one girl that does get through the shit and actually reads your message and you strike up a convo usually leads to very good things.

also depends on location, small town, very hard. Big city, very easy.

An never agree to travel across state lines to meet a girl you fell in love with over the course of 3 weeks.

Okay, I'll make it a goal to send out 100 messages by the end of the month. Hopefully I can get a few replies with that wide of a net.

Also, 15-25 messages a day? Jesus Christ. OKC should institute a culling policy for the creepiest members, or something.

Jhriad

So I've had a profile for about 3 weeks now without much luck and I'm starting to wonder if I should just delete the profile. I live in a decent sized college town but I'm 29 and most of the women that are even partial matches aren't looking for someone older than 27-28, are ultra conservative (it's a very conservative college), or live 90+ miles away. I'm not a terrible looking schlub but this whole experiment is only serving to remind me that every day that passes I'm farther from the 18-22 year old masses that infest this town.

Not really looking forward to all the reminders of how alone I am at work tomorrow. *sigh*

dralla

Speaking of age, how much younger/older are you guys willing to go? The girl I'm talking to now is a little young [22], one of the reasons I was surprised she responded is the age [I'm 27]. 23 is usually the youngest I'd message, but there aren't a ton of options in my area. But I'm glad she responded, it's nice to talk to someone that actually seems interested, no one word answers! It doesn't hurt that she's good looking either :) Hopefully gonna meet up next week some time, our schedules are not exactly compatible, which sucks

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Speaking of age, how much younger/older are you guys willing to go? The girl I'm talking to now is a little young [22], one of the reasons I was surprised she responded is the age [I'm 27]. 23 is usually the youngest I'd message, but there aren't a ton of options in my area. But I'm glad she responded, it's nice to talk to someone that actually seems interested, no one word answers! It doesn't hurt that she's good looking either :) Hopefully gonna meet up next week some time, our schedules are not exactly compatible, which sucks

I'm 21, but I'm comfortable anywhere from 18 to like 28, I really don't care about age all that much.

Maddocks

youngest for me 25, oldest 35. I'm 29. I have seen and talked to some mature 23 year olds, but it becomes apparent real fast that we are on two different wavelenth.

I'm 24. I go from 21-32 on okc preferences. The upper limit is just an arbitrary pick, but I dunk if I could date someone who's too young to drink. Just a lifestyle thing

Jhriad

21-34 and I'm 29.

If I had more of a choice I'd limit the low end to 24-25 but maybe I'll find a really mature younger gal. *shrug*

Maddocks

now remember the more you stretch out the age on okc, the less matches you get. Tighten that age group a bit and you will see girls/guys you never got a chance to see before because okc skipped over that person to add another person of a different age.

Movement

So a really cute, hippie-style, vegan chick invited me over to her place for our first 'date' to share tea. I'm a bit hesitant to go to someone's house the first time meeting them, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

Leeness

That's some bull shit then, but you can't totally blame it on you. I can log into a lot of messages some night even as a guy on a site, and maybe in that evening I'm more taken aback by someone in particular, or before you messaged this guy he was talking to someone else for a while, and just then it picked up to them meeting in person so he doesn't want to spread himself out until he see's where that goes, if anywhere.

We're all competing for each other's attention.

And the last person talking to me just deleted his account without saying anything! Yay!

So I deactivated my account early. :)

There, OKC, POF and Match all gone. Started out for the lulz, but I've spent the last three nights crying over these sites, so good riddance. Peace!

And the last person talking to me just deleted his account without saying anything! Yay!

So I deactivated my account early. :)

There, OKC, POF and Match all gone. Started out for the lulz, but I've spent the last three nights crying over these sites, so good riddance. Peace!

Look I'll be the one to say it. You're not in a good place right now to try to date given that profiles you started for the lulz are now getting you depressed. I seriously think you should gauge just what it is you need to do for yourself and stop using men to validate your existence. You matter. Fuck what dudes think right now and focus on you, your goals and what you want to do with your life.

Leeness

Look I'll be the one to say it. You're not in a good place right now to try to date given that profiles you started for the lulz are now getting you depressed. I seriously think you should gauge just what it is you need to do for yourself and stop using men to validate your existence. You matter. Fuck what dudes think right now and focus on you, your goals and what you want to do with your life.

I know. :( I was at therapy today.

Men mostly just reaffirm my beliefs anyway. :(

I guess it's just Valentines getting me down more than usual. It'd be nice not to spend every single day alone haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom