• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I will correct if necessary, but from what I gather this person is biologically male, but was assigned female at birth due to being born with abnormal genitalia. That's if the reporting has been correct on the matter. Being a fighter from another country is obviously going to have far less info as opposed to an American competitor.
What's fascinating about this is where she's from....

Edit: Seems like very little information is actually available, so people are running wild with bad info

Browsing the algeria subreddit, the possibility of her being trans is not even in the realm of possibility due to it being highly illegal. Apparently she was declared female at birth and there are pictures of her as a little girl, so it seems likely this is a situation similar to caster somenya where she has a genetic condition like swyer-syndrome that produces abnormal amounts of testosterone,

Last edited:

Z O N E

So, from what I've read:

- The boxer is intersex and has XY chromosomes which was confirmed by IBA.
- She has female reproductive organs.
- Intersex people get to choose male or female (I'm guessing parents assign it to them).
- Her insides (minus reproductive organs) are at the same level of a male, ie: her physical strength, testosterone, muscle, etc...
- She got banned by IBA, she went to appeal that decision but then withdrew her appeal.

I mean, how do you look at that and then think it's perfectly fine to allow her to box with biological women?

So, from what I've read:

- Intersex people get to choose male or female (I'm guessing parents assign it to them).
- Her insides (minus reproductive organs) are at the same level of a male, ie: her physical strength, testosterone, muscle, etc...
- She got banned by IBA, she went to appeal that decision but then withdrew her appeal.

I mean, how do you look at that and then think it's perfectly fine to allow her to box with biological women?
Wokeness is great until a woman gets literally beaten to death by a man but might be what it takes for people to wake up and realize how insane the world has become

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A big reason a lot of misinformation about this topic is spreading is because of the ideological capture that many have been warning about for years. People will google their name, read the first line, see "She was born a woman" and assume that means biologically female. But really, it's news sites and media respecting their desired gender, which has led to an insane amount of confusion. And then even the indisputable fact that having XY chromosomes means you're male is confused by people who know nothing of the science, google it, and see whackadoos telling them that chromosomes have nothing to do with biological sex. From reputable institutions too.

My god, the amount of damage to science and education we've done to ourselves is astonishing. It's a real shame.

Nydius

This is the shittiest Olympics in my lifetime.

Like I wrote in the other thread, my interest in the Olympics have been waning for some time but there are still some events I enjoy.

I’ve noticed that, this year, I’m really only interested in what would have been X-Games fare: BMX, skateboard, surfing. Mountain biking too. My wife, who’s several years older, couldn’t give a shit about those and is still all-in on the traditional summer Olympic events like swimming, diving, gymnastics.

Assuming this country doesn’t implode in the next four years, I might actually go see the kayak events for LA 28 since they’ll be a short drive away from me in OKC.

AfricanKing

Wokeness is great until a woman gets literally beaten to death by a man but might be what it takes for people to wake up and realize how insane the world has become

Where was this energy when she competed in 2020 and lost?

Like it or not she was born a women in a conservative Muslim country that does not let you transition since its illegal.. Italian boxer took the L and gave her a blessing to move forward and win.

Ah. In that case, big time ban from me.

Why is he allowed to fight women if DNA of a dude?

She dosent .. dont fall for disinformation. This claim comes from the IBA who ran a DNA test and said she did not meet their criteria - a testosterone test was never conducted but testosterone levels would show up in the test. Algerian Sporting authorities came out and said it was due to her high testosterone levels however the IBA president later said its because she has XY chromosomes (2 conflicting stories)

What we do know is the Olympic Committee did their own checks and cleared her to fight - She's not trans because we know this is illegal in Algeria

If you ask me she's a woman with very high testosterone levels which gives her a natural advantage

Last edited:

Zathalus

So, from what I've read:

The XY thing being confirmed by the IBA is apparently highly suspect. The president of the IBA made the claim but when pressed for details waffled on about testosterone. Additionally the IBA has been stripped of its status by the IOC for quite a number of issues over the years.

thefool

It's important to discern this is, most likely, not just a horny dude with a dick that one day decided he wanted to wear dresses and be called a woman. This individual, most likely, has a rare disorder of sex development (46XYDSD) which exposed him/her to high levels of testosterone during puberty. He/she can block test right now that it still doesn't mitigate the differences of early development. IBA, imo, made the right choice to block this individual from boxing, because it effectively puts in danger the life of women. But there is a talk to be had about where we draw the line in these very specific cases.

If women don't feel comfortable fighting him/her, they should forfeit. I'm positive if every athlete did it, things would effectively change. They have all the power, its their choice to exercise it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's important to discern this is, most likely, not just a horny dude with a dick that one day decided he wanted to wear dresses and be called a woman. This individual, most likely, has a rare disorder of sex development (46XYDSD) which exposed him/her to high levels of testosterone during puberty. He/she can block test right now that it still doesn't mitigate the differences of early development. IBA, imo, made the right choice to block this individual from boxing, because it effectively puts in danger the life of women. But there is a talk to be had about where we draw the line in these very specific cases.

If women don't feel comfortable fighting him/her, they should forfeit. I'm positive if every athlete did it, things would effectively change. They have all the power, it’s their choice to exercise it.

Spot on.

A lot of idiots have jumped on this as part of the never ending trans culture war debate, but transgender has nothing to do with this at all.

This is a genuine case of someone with a medical issue from birth, that has enabled them to establish male characteristics, as well as their female ones.

Sucks for them, but absolutely right to ban them from competing against ‘ordinary’ females. The advantage is far too high in that sport.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ah. In that case, big time ban from me.

Why is he allowed to fight women if DNA of a dude?

Having the "DNA of a dude" doesn't tell the whole story. For example. women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome who have XY chromosomes but whose bodies (or rather their cells) don't respond to androgen at all. Their bodies developed almost completely female: vagina, breasts, no masculinization, etc. These women only found out there was something wrong with them when they never got a period like their girlfriends. After a medical examination they discover their vagina is really shallow and they have atrophied testes inside their body. None of these XY women with CAIS would have any physcial advantage compared to XX women.

calistan

Track and field has started - the proper Olympics. A big crowd and an open-air stadium.

I like some of the other sports, but there are so many things that have absolutely no place in the Olympics. Tennis, golf, football, basketball - basically anything that has other far more prestigious tournaments.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Spot on.

A lot of idiots have jumped on this as part of the never ending trans culture war debate, but transgender has nothing to do with this at all.

This is a genuine case of someone with a medical issue from birth, that has enabled them to establish male characteristics, as well as their female ones.

Sucks for them, but absolutely right to ban them from competing against ‘ordinary’ females. The advantage is far too high in that sport.
Right it isn’t about trans stuff it is about a genetic abnormality.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
but absolutely right to ban them from competing against ‘ordinary’ females.

Abnormal men and women were never banned from competitions such as basketball or other sports. It is absolutely not fair to ban her. Its idiotic. By your logic these abnormal humans should be shunned and banned from what they enjoy. How fucking sad are you?

Might as well ban these as well:

zhang-ziyu-china-basketball.jpg

images

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Abnormal men and women were never banned from competitions such as basketball or other sports. It is absolutely not fair to ban her. Its idiotic. By your logic these abnormal humans should be shunned and banned from what they enjoy. How fucking sad are you?

Your comparison of a full contact combat sport with a non contact team sport is fatuous - and you really should know that. But don't let a pesky thing like nuance or detail get in the way of your incorrect argument.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nice L.

Also, do the examples of female basketball players you use have the same medical condition the boxer has? If not, why on earth are you even comparing?

What do you mean L? Brother look at the size of those players. They are literally a one man team in basketball. Have you seen that asian chicks recent matches? I'd say its borderline cheating and its allowed.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I think it's okay for men to compete in women's sports. It's very progressive, imho.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
We don’t know that. I don’t think anyone knows for 100% certainty. I read they have XY chromosomes. They may or may not be true. Point being I see a lot of people making definitive declarations about this fighter and I have no idea where they’re getting their information from. I’ve even seen people online said they have a vagina and I searched like 10 different sites and have found nothing stating this. I think people are just spreading stuff they see on social media without actually fact checking it.

Bottom line is if their chromosomes are XY, they should not be allowed to compete in my opinion. If they’re XX, then that’s a female and I’m fine with it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That's so heartbreaking.

I hate the BBC. So much pointless talking instead of showing the event. I've had to sign up for Discovery+ to watch the entire event because the BBCs output is just ridiculous. Missed out on so many good events already because of it.

It's not a choice, the BBC don't have the rights to show everything so they have to cover it within the constraints of what they've been able to justify paying for from the license fee.

Warner Bros Discovery put in the highest bid for the rights and that's why they've got everything. If they weren't operating in the UK, the BBC would, with fewer competitors, likely have been able to negotiate a more complete package.

RaduN

If this is banable (hell, maybe it's fair, what the fuck do i know?) what is your opinion on certain athletes (we all know who those are) that may or may not have a certain condition where heavy dosage of steroids-like medicine is recommended, with prescription, and just as a... neglijible side effect, it turns them into little freaks of (not)nature.
What's the difference? Is there any difference ...at all?

HAYA8U5A

Was watching a recap of some of the events yesterday. It still blows my mind that there are people in this world that see race walking and think to themselves, "That is the sport I want to pursue!".

walking superhero GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Track and field has started - the proper Olympics. A big crowd and an open-air stadium.

I like some of the other sports, but there are so many things that have absolutely no place in the Olympics. Tennis, golf, football, basketball - basically anything that has other far more prestigious tournaments.

I think the same, that the Olympics is track and field, and Sailing, Tennis, Golf, etc. etc. isn't really. But, I think the Olympics are the biggest thing for track and field almost by default, owing to a lack of a competition with any real pomp and sense of occasion. Nobody really cares about the 100m enough to watch it regularly (or don't care enough) so the other competitions are a bit underwhelming.

Michael Johnson is bringing a new season based Track competition (Grand Slam Track), it'll be interesting to see if they find an audience who want to watch regularly.

j0hnnix

So, from what I've read:

Is intersex replacing hermaphrodite? Honest question.

Edit: Never mind google got me updated.

"Is a person who is intersex a hermaphrodite? No. Hermaphrodites don't exist. That is an outdated term implying that a person is both fully male and fully female, which isn't biologically possible. In fact, many people who are intersex consider that term derogatory and stigmatizing."

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Was watching a recap of some of the events yesterday. It still blows my mind that there are people in this world that see race walking and think to themselves, "That is the sport I want to pursue!".

walking superhero GIF
Yeah, I wonder how it starts.

Imagine if you got spotted as being someone with a natural talent for it and were really, really good at it.

So you give it a go. And you're encouraged. And it just kinda snowballs.

And then you meet some people and they mention the Olympics and you say "yeah, I won a gold medal a few years back..."

You can imagine the excitement on their faces.

And then feeling crushed, once again.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is intersex replacing hermaphrodite? Honest question.

Hermaphroditism does not exist in humans. While some humans have intersex conditions, they are not hermaphrodites and the term “hermaphrodite” should never be used to describe an intersex person. Historically, this term has been applied to humans in a derogatory way.

HAYA8U5A

Yeah, I wonder how it starts.

Imagine if you got spotted as being someone with a natural talent for it and were really, really good at it.

So you give it a go. And you're encouraged. And it just kinda snowballs.

And then you meet some people and they mention the Olympics and you say "yeah, I won a gold medal a few years back..."

You can imagine the excitement on their faces.

And then feeling crushed, once again.

In order to be spotted as having talent in it somebody would have to be doing it first and it isn't like parents are forcing kids into race walking.

The Canadian Olympian from Langley, British Columbia, took to race walking after struggling in gym class for his lack of co-ordination and giant glasses.

I mean seriously what other event would you have athletes saying they took it up because they struggled in gym class and have no co-ordination? I'm bad at athletics but found my calling when I decided to start being a weirdo refusing to pick up my feet and run!

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Gp1

Basketball does no revolves around bashing the opponent head for points.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In order to be spotted as having talent in it somebody would have to be doing it first and it isn't like parents are forcing kids into race walking.

It's ok, I don't think scouts are standing by traffic lights about to turn green and watching pedestrians, hoping to spot someone who's got the look of a champion, it was just a bit of fun.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Its obvious. A trans-woman (a male in other words) who has failed testosterone tests in last 2 years was allowed by the IOC to fight a woman (Or should I say allowed to hit a woman). This despite the fact that this trans 'woman' was banned at the boxing world championship in New Delhi held recently. The IOC's reasoning was that testosterone test is not a perfect test. So in other words, someone announcing to be a female is a better test according to woke IOC.

The poor Italian boxer got her nose, and dream, broken by a male. She had to abandon the fight in 46 seconds and was crying, saying 'its not right'. But its right according to the wokes, And they allowed it.

She isn't trans. She's born biologically female. She has a condition where she naturally produces elevated levels of testosterone that most women can't.

Plus she's from Algeria. She'd have been ARRESTED if she was trans in that country. Not to mention she competed in the Tokyo Olympics. And she's been beaten by other women in the ring before.

Get your facts straight before parroting The Daily Mail.

HAYA8U5A

It's ok, I don't think scouts are standing by traffic lights about to turn green and watching pedestrians, hoping to spot someone who's got the look of a champion, it was just a bit of fun.

If the mall walkers were younger the scouts would be swarming malls every morning.

Top Bottom