• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

calistan

Not sure if brought up earlier in thread, but am i the only one who thinks Jeanjean was absolutely robbed in bmx freestyle? What. The. Fuck.
I mentioned earlier, before this turned into the Algerian boxer thread, that one of the BBC commentators thought Jeanjean's second run would get a 97 and the other said a high 95.

The scoring in that event is kind of random though. If the expert analysts can't predict it then the average viewer has no chance. Just pluck a number out of the air.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's Ronaldo .... Notice the logo on his t-shirt? It's the emblem of Real Madrid. Fly Emirates is Real Madrid's second biggest sponsor after Adidas...

BCGI5CM.jpeg
Not sure if serious or not because looks nothing like Ronaldo plus it was actually from the boxers Insta

iGNV217.png

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Not sure if serious or not because looks nothing like Ronaldo plus it was actually from the boxers Insta

iGNV217.png

You're right, the photo is from Imane Khelif's Instagram page. It was the combination of the Real Madrid shirt and the facial expression that made me think immediately of Ronaldo.

Just goes to show how masculine she looks.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We get it you're a sexist asshole and you hate ugly women.

Anyway

That boxer had been barred from previous women's events because they failed a gender test

I don't care remotely about how they look, I care that someone that can't pass a test as being a female and is barred from world competition being allowed to beat on actual women

Sexist asshole, fuck off

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That boxer had been barred from previous women's events because they failed a gender test

Reading is hard.

IBA President Umar Kremlev stated to Russian news agency TASS in 2023 that the disqualifications were because DNA tests "proved they had XY chromosomes".[17][18] The Washington Post stated "it remains unclear what standards Khelif and Lin Yu Ting failed [in 2023] to lead to the disqualifications,"[18][19] and further stated that "there never has been evidence that [...] Khelif [...] had XY chromosomes or elevated levels of testosterone

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Its not hard at all, they were banned from competing in which this boxer initially appealed and then withdrew their appeal making the decision binding

They did not meet the required necessary eligibility criteria and were found to have competitive advantages over other female competitors.

Again, fuck off with the sexist asshole comment

Errors never happened in sports before amirite? Your life must really suck to hate on a woman who had a terrible life and managed to turn her disability into an advantage huh? You are a sexist asshole. Enjoy your miserable life I guess.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Errors never happened in sports before amirite? Your life must really suck to hate on a woman who had a terrible life and managed to turn her disability into an advantage huh? You are a sexist asshole. Enjoy your miserable life I guess.
Yep two different errors I guess

The disqualification was based on two tests conducted on both athletes as follows:

• Test performed during the IBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in Istanbul 2022.
  • Test performed during the IBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi 2023.
Again sometimes people shouldn't be going up against others if they have an unfair advantage

My life is far from miserable, trust me and I actually love my life

Sorry if you get a kick watching men beat on a woman

No need to reply for reasons :)

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yep two different errors I guess

The disqualification was based on two tests conducted on both athletes as follows:

• Test performed during the IBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in Istanbul 2022.
  • Test performed during the IBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi 2023.
Again sometimes people shouldn't be going up against others if they have an unfair advantage

My life is far from miserable, trust me and I actually love my life

Sorry if you get a kick watching men beat on a woman

Her disability is whats causing her to fail those god damn tests you bird brain. She is a woman. A freak of nature if that satisfies your sexist brain. Freaks of natures have always competed in sports. Deal with it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You lot actually think ALGERIA is woke? That a conservative Muslim country like ALGERIA, where it's illegal to be trans, would ever THINK of letting a trans person represent them at the Olympics?

Ms. Khelif is a woman. She's developed to look and be the way she is due to a medical condition...

This is her as a kid:

LyEPi6z.jpeg
BGbMGDN.jpeg

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You lot actually think ALGERIA is woke? That a conservative Muslim country like ALGERIA, where it's illegal to be trans, would ever THINK of letting a trans person represent them at the Olympics?

Ms. Khelif is a woman. She's developed to look and be the way she is due to a medical condition...

This is her as a kid:

LyEPi6z.jpeg
BGbMGDN.jpeg

Michael Phelps also has a condition that makes his body have a huge advantage over his opponents yet no one complained about it. Caster Semenya also has a condition similar to Imane. There will always be people with such conditions just as there will always be ignorants. Seems like in recent times the issues with trans have made certain people blind to genuine people and they're just hating literally everyone different, not just assholes.

Gp1

Caster Semenya also has a condition similar to Imane.

Good that you entered in there.
"2018 testosterone rule change
In a report explaining its decision, the IAAF wrote that there was a "broad medical and scientific consensus" that athletes with high testosterone can "significantly enhance their sporting potential" due to greater muscle mass, strength, and haemoglobin levels. The report added that "there is no other genetic or biological trait encountered in female athletics that confers such a huge performance advantage."[97]

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Michael Phelps also has a condition that makes his body have a huge advantage over his opponents yet no one complained about it. Caster Semenya also has a condition similar to Imane. There will always be people with such conditions just as there will always be ignorants. Seems like in recent times the issues with trans have made certain people blind to genuine people and they're just hating literally everyone different, not just assholes.

True. I've noticed this everywhere online. So many people don't stop to think about things in a logical manner. They're all acting like she's from the West where things are a bit more tolerant/accepting... But Algeria isn't the West.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Good that you entered in there.
"2018 testosterone rule change
In a report explaining its decision, the IAAF wrote that there was a "broad medical and scientific consensus" that athletes with high testosterone can "significantly enhance their sporting potential" due to greater muscle mass, strength, and haemoglobin levels. The report added that "there is no other genetic or biological trait encountered in female athletics that confers such a huge performance advantage."[97]

That was in 2018 tho.

EDIT: I misread

In February 2021, Semenya again appealed the case to the European Court of Human Rights.[116] In March 2023, World Athletics made its rules for Semenya and other DSD athletes even more restrictive, requiring them to lower their testosterone levels below a threshold of 2.5 nmol/L for at least 24 months before competing.[117] The ECHR ruled in Semenya's favor in a 4–3 decision in July 2023, finding that the competition rules had discriminated against her and infringed on her human rights. However, the decision did not overturn the rules themselves, and World Athletics stated that the regulations would "remain in place. After a request from the Swiss government, Semenya's case was referred to the ECHR's Grand Chamber in November 2023 for a final ruling

Theres no more info after that, tho I believe her case is far worse than Imanes and Im on the team that it feels discriminatory when males have had massive advantages in sports over other males.

Last edited:

Gp1

That was in 2018 tho.

EDIT: I misread

Theres no more info after that, tho I believe her case is far worse than Imanes and Im on the team that it feels discriminatory when males have had massive advantages in sports over other males.

"The Swiss supreme court ultimately dismissed Semenya's appeal in September 2020. In its decision, the court affirmed that the CAS had the right to uphold World Athletics' rules "in order to guarantee fair competition for certain running disciplines in female athletics."[114] The court also declared that because Semenya was "free to refuse treatment to lower testosterone levels," her "guarantee of human dignity" was not violated.[115]"

Imho the Swiss supreme court decision is on point. If she wants to compete on World Athletics sanctioned races she must adhere to World Athletics rules and her dignity was not violated because she's free to refuse treatment to lower testosterone levels.
The problem was that Caster wanted to compete in World Athletics sanctioned races with her higher testosterone levels.

Her case is less offensive than the boxer's simply because of the nature of both sports.

Some sports already limits the levels of testosterone allowed in women’s competition, while others outright ban everyone who has been through male puberty.
The problem was that IOC took the Olympic boxing of International Boxing Association (A Russian based organization, Gazprom sponsored, with a Russian president with ties with Vlad.) when the issue arrived at IBA's lap.

It's both a medical, a merit's and a political issue but imho, being a full contact fighting sport, makes it way more urgent than Athletics.

Edit. Don't forget what Vitor Belfort caused at the UFC when his testosterone levels where off the charts (for a man of his age). And Vitor was barred from competing with testosterone reposition.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Her case is less offensive than the boxer's simply because of the nature of both sports.

Some sports already limits the levels of testosterone allowed in women’s competition, while others outright ban everyone who has been through male puberty.
The problem was that IOC took the Olympic boxing of International Boxing Association (A Russian based organization, Gazprom sponsored, with a Russian president with ties with Vlad.) when the issue arrived at IBA's lap.

It's both a medical, a merit's and a political issue but imho, being a full contact fighting sport, makes it way more urgent than Athletics.

I cant find any decisive info on Imanes testosterone levels so its hard to tell how bad it is, but the facts are she has lost matches against other women, and there were other women in boxing with high levels of testosterone that were not banned in said sport. I understand the point that it may not seem fair but again, the case of fairness in sports, boxing included, have always been shoddy at best, males included. Still, I appreciate at least a calculated response compared to some other people here making fun of Imanes body and disability and calling her a man or trans. I will at least agree its a gray area, but my stance remains on her side and I'll just leave it at that. She found a way to deal with her shitty life and now people are just making fun of her. Fucking hell.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its obvious. A trans-woman (a male in other words) who has failed testosterone tests in last 2 years was allowed by the IOC to fight a woman (Or should I say allowed to hit a woman). This despite the fact that this trans 'woman' was banned at the boxing world championship in New Delhi held recently. The IOC's reasoning was that testosterone test is not a perfect test. So in other words, someone announcing to be a female is a better test according to woke IOC.

The poor Italian boxer got her nose, and dream, broken by a male. She had to abandon the fight in 46 seconds and was crying, saying 'its not right'. But its right according to the wokes, And they allowed it.
Italy is getting woker by the day, hopefully this stuff is gonna make someone stop and think for once.

Edit: although this seems to be a bizzarre case.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Basketball does no revolves around bashing the opponent head for points.
So what? She is not some ubermensch that no other woman can defeat, she has lost to other woman before, quite a few of them in fact. She didn’t even make it to the semifinals in the 2020 Olympics.

Should boxing have a new rule now that you can’t compete against someone because they look scary?

Nydius

Enjoyed the BMX racing semifinal and finals. Happy for the three French men’s racers who swept the podium. But in the women’s races, Great Britain’s Bethany Shriever had quite a disappointing meltdown. She dominated every single heat in the quarter finals and semi finals then came in dead last in the finals.

Gp1

So what? She is not some ubermensch that no other woman can defeat, she has lost to other woman before, quite a few of them in fact. She didn’t even make it to the semifinals in the 2020 Olympics.

Should boxing have a new rule now that you can’t compete against someone because they look scary?

No, it should have rules against competing with an opponent with testosterone levels above the normal for its gender.

Again, look at Vitor Belfort pre-during-post testosterone.

Anyway....

Last edited:

Musashipan

Why taekwondo? Such a boring and useless style. Muay Thai and Sanda/Sanshou are far superior,even karate is better.

FireFly

She isn't trans. She's born biologically female. She has a condition where she naturally produces elevated levels of testosterone that most women can't.

Plus she's from Algeria. She'd have been ARRESTED if she was trans in that country. Not to mention she competed in the Tokyo Olympics. And she's been beaten by other women in the ring before.

Get your facts straight before parroting The Daily Mail.
I don't think it's even been confirmed anywhere what her "condition" is. As always in these kinds of debates, feelings before facts.

Lambogenie

As others say, it's conservative Algeria ain't no way they'd lie down if a trans were repping them. She is just a hench as fuck woman. It happens.

To me its Same as Williams sisters and that runner. Hench women, above average.

Cry all you want but the tournament criteria were met. Make new divisions in future. And cry some more.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
As others say, it's conservative Algeria ain't no way they'd lie down if a trans were repping them. She is just a hench as fuck woman. It happens.

To me its Same as Williams sisters and that runner. Hench women, above average.

Cry all you want but the tournament criteria were met. Make new divisions in future. And cry some more.
Yea it seems algerians are quite offended by accusations that she is a man/trans because that is a sin and highly illegal in their culture. Just like we would take great offense to accusations that we knowingly sent one of our athletes that is a known pedophile, insinuating that we would allow it

They are also taking offense from what they see as a flagrant double standard in Western media; on one hand giving someone that looks like Serena Williams universal praise as a generational talent, greatest of all time etc and then suddenly when an algerian/arab woman w/ masc traits starts winning everyone starts losing their shit and making unspeakable accusations

8mMruJe.jpeg

Gp1

I hate to say this but... heavyweight Judo is boring as fuck. At least in the gold medal match Teddy did one hell of a throw but every other match is basically 2 giants trying to grapple the Gi, a bunch of shidos, and some more simple arts.

Anyway the genius got a DQ after the match ended with a ippon. The Georgian probably didn't agree with the referees and "kicked" Teddy in the groin in the ne waza.
--

Argentina being Argentina

Gp1

Judo 6x6 mixed teams is awesome. King of fighters of judo

heavyweight +100kg x middleweight 90kg

Women 47kg vs 56kg, free for all slugfest

Team Spain made Japan sweat for it's victory.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Morning folks,

Obviously the controversy around Imane Khelif will run until they either win or are knocked out. I do think it's important for the discussion to be aired so if people ever do read back through archives, there is a fair reflection of the issues or controversies at the time. This requires everyone to engage maturely and distinguish the line between light, playful and sarcastic responses and more inflammatory, personal attacks. As they say, let's keep it above the belt.

darrylgorn

I don't know why any of this is controversial or even difficult to address. Just go with whatever sex the person was assigned at birth. No need to do any chromosome tests or shamefully inspecting athletes, the information is already available.

You'll get outliers, but they'll be so rare, it's not even worth caring about.

Zathalus

What source told you she has XY chromosome?
The only source is IBA president Umar Kremlev. The same IBA that has been stripped of its rights by the IOC for failing to comply with ethical standards after some pretty severe corruption scandals. When pressed for the test results they changed their tune from chromosome testing to failing to meet testosterone levels. Now the story has changed to some undisclosed third party test they had performed and they don’t want to release the details.

Real compelling evidence there.

Top Bottom