• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Cut it down a bit. Those megabytes take a long time to upload. Get the action, then emotion. And cut it. Crop the negative space for megabytes.
you are a pro. thank you. are there any programs that automatically upload the gif to imgur, etc after you capture it? can't find anything

Durien

Got a link?

It's ok to call them trans women btw.

Trans woman=/=woman , we get it

You will come across as a less hateful person 👍
VzuKDip.gif

Nydius

Watching the NBC primetime replay of the women’s gymnastics team final and I’m happy for the US women but I can’t help but feel the bigger story are the Italian women who hadn’t medaled in the event for almost 100 years and the Brazilians who had never medaled at all.

calistan

Just watching the BMX final. It's really cool, but the scoring is inexplicable.

The commentator said the first rider's score is a marker, and all subsequent runs are judged relative to that. But there are no specific things that earn points, unlike gymnastics or diving, it's entirely artistic impression.

How can artistic impression be judged down to two decimal places? As the commentator just said while waiting for the French rider's score, "This could be... I don't know!"

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Just watching the BMX final. It's really cool, but the scoring is inexplicable.

The commentator said the first rider's score is a marker, and all subsequent runs are judged relative to that. But there are no specific things that earn points, unlike gymnastics or diving, it's entirely artistic impression.

How can artistic impression be judged down to two decimal places? As the commentator just said while waiting for the French rider's score, "This could be... I don't know!"

Well Gymnastics and diving use to be that way, until they had enough corruption scandals to standardize scoring and deductions and pointing. Three Flips, is 7 points and that type of stuff.

calistan

Well Gymnastics and diving use to be that way, until they had enough corruption scandals to standardize scoring and deductions and pointing. Three Flips, is 7 points and that type of stuff.
The silver medallist scored 93.91 and the bronze scored 93.76. It would be good to have even the vaguest idea where that 0.15 difference came from.

The commentators on the BBC seemed to know their stuff, but when they were waiting for the score for the French rider who ultimately got bronze, one of them was saying it would be a 97, the other said a high 95.

Tams

Team GB quad sculls and Alex Yee really leaving it to the very end. Phenomenal performances from both though.

And Wilde and Yee's camaraderie was lovely to see.

Olympic Broadcasting Services on the other hand...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
highlight of today for me, other than me learning how to capture some gifs :messenger_sunglasses:

I dont know anything about rugby, but why was the yellow team all lined up trying to score for more? The only way USA would score is if they broke through a defensive line which looked 1 person thick.... which they did.

calistan

I dont know anything about rugby, but why was the yellow team all lined up trying to score for more? The only way USA would score is if they broke through a defensive line which looked 1 person thick.... which they did.
It's rugby sevens, so they're missing eight players per side but still playing on a full size pitch. Games are only seven minutes per half but tend to be high scoring because there's so much space for fast players to run into.

Also, you can't just hold onto the ball and defend in rugby, you have to keep moving up the field. I guess in that situation the best form of defence is to attack.

DosGamer

Curious if anybody has seen the boxing controversy with the Italian female boxer that had to quit the fight. I am trying to figure out exactly what is going on, but I keep seeing articles that dance around it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Curious if anybody has seen the boxing controversy with the Italian female boxer that had to quit the fight. I am trying to figure out exactly what is going on, but I keep seeing articles that dance around it.

Its obvious. A trans-woman (a male in other words) who has failed testosterone tests in last 2 years was allowed by the IOC to fight a woman (Or should I say allowed to hit a woman). This despite the fact that this trans 'woman' was banned at the boxing world championship in New Delhi held recently. The IOC's reasoning was that testosterone test is not a perfect test. So in other words, someone announcing to be a female is a better test according to woke IOC.

The poor Italian boxer got her nose, and dream, broken by a male. She had to abandon the fight in 46 seconds and was crying, saying 'its not right'. But its right according to the wokes, And they allowed it.

Edit- It seems that this case is more complicated. The Algerian boxer is not trans but rather intersex or something like that? It seems she was disqualified earlier in Delhi because tests showed she had both X and Y chromosomes? Will have wait and see.

Last edited:

calistan

Its obvious. A trans-woman (a male in other words) who has failed testosterone tests in last 2 years was allowed by the IOC to fight a woman (Or should I say allowed to hit a woman). This despite the fact that this trans 'woman' was banned at the boxing world championship in New Delhi held recently. The IOC's reasoning was that testosterone test is not a perfect test. So in other words, someone announcing to be a female is a better test according to woke IOC.

The poor Italian boxer got her nose, and dream, broken by a male. She had to abandon the fight in 46 seconds and was crying, saying 'its not right'. But its right according to the wokes, And they allowed it.
Sounds like the same kind of thing that led to Caster Semenya being banned from certain track events. That Italian boxer quit far too easily though, it didn't looked like she'd been rocked at all.

Taiwan have got a rather suspect female boxer in these Olympics too.

FK0iRZr.jpeg

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Sounds like the same kind of thing that led to Caster Semenya being banned from certain track events. That Italian boxer quit far too easily though, it didn't looked like she'd been rocked at all.

Taiwan have got a rather suspect female boxer in these Olympics too.

FK0iRZr.jpeg

She said she had never been hit that hard. And how long should a woman let a man hit her before she needs to decide that it is too much.

DosGamer

To be honest, I am a bit taken back by this. Throw fair competition out the window. I want to see how far this boxer goes. If they obliterate the competition then there has to be a discussion regarding not only rules, but safety for the competitors.

ShadowNate

The boxing athlete controversy seems to be a more complicated case than a identity / gender politics thing.

Just don't go by tweets as your source.

thief183

She said she had never been hit that hard. And how long should a woman let a man hit her before she needs to decide that it is too much.

This is fking BS, I even know her cause she occasionally train in my Gym, this really piss me off.

RaduN

. That Italian boxer quit far too easily though, it didn't looked like she'd been rocked at all.
Looks almost like she went in the ring to do just that: quit after a tap (a punch that was not).

Still not fair any way one looks at it.

Thankfully this kind of shit started to slowly fade. Seems to be getting less and less visibility compared to some years ago. And this is coming from the most tolerant person in the world (also an athlete).

calistan

Looks almost like she went in the ring to do just that: quit after a tap (a punch that was not).

Still not fair any way one looks at it.

Thankfully this kind of shit started to slowly fade. Seems to be getting less and less visibility compared to some years ago. And this is coming from the most tolerant person in the world (also an athlete).
I don't think she had any intention of actually fighting the Algerian. Taking a couple of jabs and saying she'd never been hit so hard in her life seems kind of pathetic. If she was only there to register a protest, maybe she should have just walked out of the ring as soon as the bell rang.

That same fighter (Khelif) competed at the Tokyo Olympics and was defeated, presumably by a woman, so I don't understand the fuss this time.

The boxing athlete controversy seems to be a more complicated case than a identity / gender politics thing.

Just don't go by tweets as your source.
Its pretty simple in my eyes;

A man is boxing against women and beating their ass because he was allowed to do that by the IOC who also let a dutch guy who raped a 12 year old play volleybal.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Imane is a biological woman assuming the info below is true.

From this, rumors have emerged that Kheliff is transgender or transsexual, but there is no evidence of this. In Algeria, the country that Kheliff represents, transgender identity is prohibited, changing gender or sex on identity documents is not permitted, nor are medical or hormonal treatments allowed to transition to another sex.

Top Bottom