• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

Nonehxc

I wish I knew what this was. Not available in the US.
Keirin. Japanese Balls to the wall rolling start 6 Laps track cycling. Contact sport on speed. Very fast, much violent, such disciplined.

Try this video for the medals.

Think samurais on wheels. The Japanese keirin season is nuts. To avoid gambling collusion, keirin competitors bunk together, have their bikes completely standardized, handled, given for training and races, taken back after, by the organization, etc.

Foreigners can't compete unless invited to do so, and they only invite people like actual/former World Cycling or National Winners, Grand Tours, etc. People used to win indoor/outdoor track cycling that can't scratch a japanese's ass in Keirin. Suppose it also has to do many decline or accept past their prime, but whatever.

This is a nice documentary.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Just reading more about the aussie break dancer. What an embarrassment that entire scene is. Apparently there's reports her husband and teacher were judges at the Oceania qualifier.

Either way she made a mockery of the Olympics. As someone who is an academic and getting a PhD to study breaking you should have at least a couple routines so you seem competitive. This new theory that she's deconstructing narratives about breaking culture is ridiculous.

Just reading more about the aussie break dancer. What an embarrassment that entire scene is. Apparently there's reports her husband and teacher were judges at the Oceania qualifier.

Either way she made a mockery of the Olympics. As someone who is an academic and getting a PhD to study breaking you should have at least a couple routines so you seem competitive. This new theory that she's deconstructing narratives about breaking culture is ridiculous.
She was a prime example of "sending a message". She has made a mockery of whole Australia as it will be the only thing people will remember Australia in this olympics.

Raven117

G
She was a prime example of "sending a message". She has made a mockery of whole Australia as it will be the only thing people will remember Australia in this olympics.
Which is shame, Australia, especially in swimming, did great.

But that was an embarrassment. For Australia, for the Olympics.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Breaking is an athletic skill one hones...

The Aussie "breaker" was barely breakdancing. That was highly embarrassing!

Edit: it's all over FB and Twitter and folks asking how she got into the Olympics!!

Last edited:

Boralf

I wish I knew what this was. Not available in the US.
It's Harry Lavreysen winning gold on the keirin (track cycling). It's his third gold medal this olympics (also gold on sprint and team sprint), so everyone calls it Harrie's hattrick. He's also now the most successful dutch summer olympic athlete of all time with 5 gold medals in total.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
286jkWP.png

QBg9xqP.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It also contributed to a discourse why breakdancing is even in Olympics

It is a very athletic dance. It's not something that just anyone can do. You showcase flexibility, speed, strength and balance as well as artistic talent. I can see WHY it's an exhibition sport at The Olympics... Otherwise, folks should keep that same energy with Horse Dancing, which is an actual sport in the Olympics.

In STARK contrast to Ray Gun:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Unreal ending.

What a way to close out the Olympics and give the US #1 spot.

Yesterday was bonkers too. What a delight for all basketball fans around the world.

Paris knocked it out of the park with venues that I don't think will ever be matched. I've never consumed this much Olympics due to peacock so props to them. Tomorrow is gonna feel empty af 😔

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
What a way to close out the Olympics and give the US #1 spot.

Yesterday was bonkers too. What a delight for all basketball fans around the world.

Paris knocked it out of the park with venues that I don't think will ever be matched. I've never consumed this much Olympics due to peacock so props to them. Tomorrow is gonna feel empty af 😔
I really liked the Greek venues. But I do think the backdrop and crowds were lovely. The louvre is hard to top.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Great Olympics all around. Congrats to the Chinese athletes, and huge congrats to France, who doubled their medal count from 2020.

And of course LETS GO USA!

Independence Day Usa GIF

July 4 Yes GIF

SJRB

Gold Member
glad I looked up this aussie "break dancer"

0d3h3slx6ohd1.gif

even dressed up as a soccer mom ROFL

She has a phd in Breakdancing, I shit you not.

There are so many amazing allegories to write about this situation it's incredible. From the made up studie, having zero actual demonstratable skill (like actually zero, she got zero points) to the blaming of sexism when faced with criticism for her bullshit act.

Amazing.

T8SC

20a023b0-570a-11ef-9bdb-6949543997d3

Love this photo, the spirit of the games. Eilish waited for Megan to finish even though she was way behind the leading pack and struggling, but battled on to the finish.

It's been a great games overall, well done France for hosting and to all the athletes. 16 fantastic days of sport.

She has a phd in Breakdancing, I shit you not.

There are so many amazing allegories to write about this situation it's incredible. From the made up studie, having zero actual demonstratable skill (like actually zero, she got zero points) to the blaming of sexism when faced with criticism for her bullshit act.

Amazing.
It's clear she used the games to go viral and get her 15min of fame.

It's a mockery to the olympics. It's embarrassment to her country. It really makes you think how she was selected in the first place. WTF

a phd in breakdancing...that she gave to herself probably LOL

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Great Olympics all around. Congrats to the Chinese athletes, and huge congrats to France, who doubled their medal count from 2020.

I think every Chinese swimmer is a dope fiend. They all have been at some point disqualified for doping. The most questionable group of athletes in the games. Their divers and ping pong teams are amazing. But before Beijing they started a drug and training regime that brought them from obscurity to the forefront.

ranmafan

This was a fantastic Olympic Games. France did a great job hosting and seeing all the great moments was a real healing time for me. I’m still upset losing my Olympic dream three years ago due to Covid ruining the Tokyo games and my chance to go, but these games brought back my love for the games in a way that I haven’t had in a while. I didn’t expect to watch them just a month ago and yet I ended up happily watching so much of it. And I was happy to see the world all together again. Also seeing a former student of mine here in Japan win a silver medal was wonderful. All in all a great games, and I can’t wait for LA28 considering how important LA84 was for me in introducing the games to me. I really wish I could go. Maybe one day my dream will be given back to me.

calistan

I think every Chinese swimmer is a dope fiend. They all have been at some point disqualified for doping. The most questionable group of athletes in the games. Their divers and ping pong teams are amazing. But before Beijing they started a drug and training regime that brought them from obscurity to the forefront.
I have no doubt there are a shitload of dopers at the Olympics, particularly from countries where athletic success is politically or financially important.

Obviously there will be variations according to how strict/corrupt a country's anti-doping regime is, but when you take Russia out of the equation, the world leader in doping offences has long been the United States.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't watch this closing ceremony anymore. I gave it a fair shake but the gold figure coming down from a wire for five minutes and then interpretive dancing for five minutes is just.... Life is too short for this nonsense.

Amazing waste of time.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I have no doubt there are a shitload of dopers at the Olympics, particularly from countries where athletic success is politically or financially important.

Obviously there will be variations according to how strict/corrupt a country's anti-doping regime is, but when you take Russia out of the equation, the world leader in doping offences has long been the United States.
Just that one cyclist. Lance did the whole country wrong.

calistan

Just that one cyclist. Lance did the whole country wrong.
I was commenting more about the perception that China must have been cheating. Maybe they were, but surely it's just as suspicious when a country with less than a quarter of China's population wins 50% more medals.

Anyway, the suspicions about other countries' athletes depends largely on where you're from. I have a Chinese DVD version of the movie Shaolin Soccer, with subtitles that are very different from the official English release, and in this one the injections given to the Evil Team are translated as "the American medicine." That's the literal translation, and the way they see the USA's sporting success.

Top Bottom