• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

BlackTron

rX87kDM.gif

calistan

Just watched the 'breaking' final, and that was hands down the shittest, most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in the Olympics. Absolute cringefest.

To even include it in the Olympics has some strong "how do you do, fellow kids" energy, but everything about it... The commentary, the other person posing while waiting to dance, the shitty dancing itself. Oh my god. What the fuck next, Olympic rap battles?

Jinzo Prime

So dumb

This girl is good though

What gets me is the commentary, they have no idea what is happening. I'm not going to judge what should and shouldn't be at the Games, but trying to find space for all these venues and athletes and judges and commentators must be ridiculously expensive.

Edit: I'm not saying breakdancing shouldn't be an Olympic sport, I mean rhythm gymnastics is there too, but maybe we need another spin off like the Winter Games. Call it the Spring Olympics or something.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Just watched the 'breaking' final, and that was hands down the shittest, most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in the Olympics. Absolute cringefest.

To even include it in the Olympics has some strong "how do you do, fellow kids" energy, but everything about it... The commentary, the other person posing while waiting to dance, the shitty dancing itself. Oh my god. What the fuck next, Olympic rap battles?
As much as I have an open mind they don't even compare to all those other athletes who sacrificied so much blood & sweat over years of training.
And that includes the equestrian rich assholes who let their horses do all the work.

Durien

Gold Member
So it looks like opening ceremony people don't close it out? I was hoping to catch gojira again kick some ass again...

calistan

As much as I have an open mind they don't even compare to all those other athletes who sacrificied so much blood & sweat over years of training.
And that includes the equestrian rich assholes who let their horses do all the work.
There are a lot of nonsense sports, like pretty much all of the ones where judges give out seemingly random scores.

Even the rich housewives on dancing horses beats breaking, though. There's a long history of stupid sports in the modern Olympics (they used to have Olympic quoits, aka horseshoes) but breakdancing is pure ridiculousness.

Bring on Olympic graffiti artistry. Teams of masked youths get 10 minutes to decorate a subway car before the security guards arrive.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
There are a lot of nonsense sports, like pretty much all of the ones where judges give out seemingly random scores.

Even the rich housewives on dancing horses beats breaking, though.
I mentioned equestrian because on a fluke I was switching channels and stumbled on an analyst commenting on Guy Laliberté's daughter riding her horsie.

Guy created the "Cirque Du Soleil".

I just rolled my eyes and switched channels 😆

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
7 medals for Israel. Our girls brought home the Silver in Rhythmic Gymnastics!

Here's their routine performed perfectly with the Eiffel Tower at the end:

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Breaking is too subjective. I think most sports have some kind of balanced added score like difficulty, something. This is literally people voting for whoever they want.

Gp1

5 cooling breaks, 300* fouls, 5 times 2 balls on the pitch, numerous offside, 5 minutes attending to injured players...

10 min stoppage time. Women's soccer is a fricking joke.

Ps. But that Maher, US goalkeeper, did an awesome match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom