• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Jordan Chiles may lose her medal. Romania appealed and it appears they've sided with the Romanian athletes.

I know nothing about gymnastics admittedly, but this is why I've never been into the sport. It's so subjective and the scores are arbitrary. How does one discern between a 13.666 or a 13.700? I can't get into sports that have so much subjectivity at play.

This is over an appeal over the difficulty one of the moves(I think it was called a split leap?) and the initial appeal said the judge's difficulty assessment was too low, and it moved her from 5th to 3rd and now Romania appealed back and apparently she'll lose her medal.

Just can't take judged sports seriously. Though I greatly respect the athletes who participate, they're so skilled.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Jordan Chiles may lose her medal. Romania appealed and it appears they've sided with the Romanian athletes.

I know nothing about gymnastics admittedly, but this is why I've never been into the sport. It's so subjective and the scores are arbitrary. How does one discern between a 13.666 or a 13.700? I can't get into sports that have so much subjectivity at play.

This is over an appeal over the difficulty one of the moves(I think it was called a split leap?) and the initial appeal said the judge's difficulty assessment was too low, and it moved her from 5th to 3rd and now Romania appealed back and apparently she'll lose her medal.

Just can't take judged sports seriously. Though I greatly respect the athletes who participate, they're so skilled.
They can only appeal on the difficulty level, and that's an objective. It's either is or isn't.

Also this wasn't about the appeal itself, but the fact it was submitted after the 1min time limit.

Last edited:

YuLY

I know nothing about gymnastics admittedly, but this is why I've never been into the sport. It's so subjective and the scores are arbitrary.
Well, first of all, the romanian athlete lost the bronze medal incorrectly because they thought she went out of the permitted area, but then journalists investigated and showed extra shots which clearly showed she did not leave the permitted area. I know it is annoying and devastating for the american athlete, but this is the right thing, you must win a medal because you were the best not because the judges were incorrect, it would be a shadow on you for your entire life.
Also think how much work the romanian athlete put, only to lose because incorrect judges. Nah, this is justice.

So I dont see were the subjectivity comes in that much in this case tbh, they thought she left the area, but she didnt, they were simply wrong, it wasnt some in the air weird decision that her moves were more impressive or some shit like that.

Last edited:

Lethal01

LETSSS GOOOOOOOO
GUlKMkwWkAAdHvn

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Did not know France was such a try hard. Bearded women, breakdancing, did they have skateboarding too? Haven't really been keeping up. I actually felt embarrassed for them.

Well, first of all, the romanian athlete lost the bronze medal incorrectly because they thought she went out of the permitted area, but then journalists investigated and showed extra shots which clearly showed she did not leave the permitted area. I know it is annoying and devastating for the american athlete, but this is the right thing, you must win a medal because you were the best not because the judges were incorrect, it would be a shadow on you for your entire life.
Also think how much work the romanian athlete put, only to lose because incorrect judges. Nah, this is justice.

So I dont see were the subjectivity comes in that much in this case tbh, they thought she left the area, but she didnt, they were simply wrong, it wasnt some in the air weird decision that her moves were more impressive or some shit like that.

This is actually a confusing matter. The gymnast judged out of bounds is called Sabrina. The one who got her medal back is Ana.
Sabrina submitted an appeal too. For some reason both appeals were judged together, but Sabrina's was rejected.
Gymnastics scoring was revamped in 2006 following a shitstorm at the 2004 Olympics. I guess it's time for another revision

T8SC

Last day of the games today & the closing ceremony later on. No more boat rides, it's all within the Stade de France.

Last edited:
Top Bottom