• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I agree with this, it'd be an effective way to demonstrate the power scale, plus he's seemingly the only yonko the would beat them and leave them alive.

Probably while throwing them a party in honor of the effort...

Actually thats a good point - Shanks is probably the only Yonkou which would be able to display his power with killing off characters. Doubt Kaidou or Big Mom would let them get away with it xD

It's odd that Shanks is one of the original characters from the start of the Manga but we still haven't really seen him fight anyone. I think that his combat style would be a big spoiler for a future "haki" style power jump. We can guess that doesn't favour defence in his style but that is just what high level swordsmen are supposed to be like.

He's a D, that's gotta be one of the reason for his resilience.

Which in turns is similar to Luffy.

Whitebeard heavily implied that he wasn't really a D but he is really tough. A lot of characters in One Piece are as hard as nails without being a D.

Kornflayx

Guys it has nothing to do with "strength." Again, see Whitebeard's downfall. Luffy was half a second away from being eaten, Shanks just did what made sense to him instinctively, which was rush in and grab Luffy away. He did not think "ha ha, as a powerful man, I will perform this reasoned and powerful attack to save this lad in peril!" He went OH FUCK and grabbed Luffy, lost an arm in the process, then looked back at the sea monster like "don't even fucking try it."

Being STRONG does not mean you are invincibly level-headed in every situation ever and can perform exactly the optimal action no matter what. Priority one was "get Luffy away," and he did that, and lost his arm. The act may have inspired Luffy, but this notion that it was a PLAN to lose his arm to inspire Luffy is frankly absurd. "OH FUCK, wait I bet if I rescue Luffy in a way that injures myself gravely it will be a boon for his future piracy yes let's do that." I don't think so.

You need only look at Ace's death to see a virtually identical situation. Ace could've deflected Akainu's lava punch any number of ways if he had time to think about it. But instead he threw his body in the way. And boy that sure wasn't from a desire to "inspire" anyone, nor was it because of any kind of weakness. It was a desperation move wherein someone else's safety was of the highest priority, and nothing more.

Couldn't have said it better myself

And I think that the powerlevels have been set up pretty well in the first chapter, when Shanks says that the Bandits need "a fleet of marine ships" to back them up.
Considering that a Buster Call is still unsurmountable for everyone but the strongest pirates, I think it's pretty clear, how strong he was. Even back then

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Shanks was too weak? Hahahahahhahahahahahaha. Well that's one way to look at it

Here's what I think happened. In order to save Luffy in such a short window of time his arm had to be sacrificed. It was either save Luffy and lose an arm or just let Luffy become breakfast. He wasn't fast enough to save Luffy and come out of it unscathed given how quick he had to react.

Bascially how I've always interpreted it. There wasn't enough time to do everything, so he made the hard decision and sacrificed his arm to make sure Luffy was safe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bascially how I've always interpreted it. There wasn't enough time to do everything, so he made the hard decision and sacrificed his arm to make sure Luffy was safe.

Exactly. He could either have his arm or Luffy, not both. Shanks made a choice and hasn't looked back since.

Exactly. He could either have his arm or Luffy, not both. Shanks made a choice and hasn't looked back since.

That's how I always saw it but being Shanks, he should have been able to trow a rock from the shore and knock that fish out without danger. It's a story point that shouldn't be taken literally but I always thought he should have been able to deal with it another way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's how I always saw it but being Shanks, he should have been able to trow a rock from the shore and knock that fish out without danger. It's a story point that shouldn't be taken literally but I always thought he should have been able to deal with it another way.

Keep in mind that Luffy was also drowning at the time so that limits his options. There weren't a lot of things he could have done in that situation. Had he sniped it like you suggest he runs the risk of Luffy drowning. He had to save Luffy from both the Sea King and drowning in the ocean at the same time.

RomanceDawn

This is the strangest of all new developments.
If Aokiji is really working for Blackbeard to later double cross him, wouldn't Blackbeard, the biggest traitor in all of One Piece, look right through him? Even if the whole battle between Aokiji and Sakazuki was just a play and he sacrificed leg for the mission to make it really look like, he separated from the Marines, i can't see Blackbeard falling for all of this. The only way this could work is, Blackbeard has to really, really believe that he is in complete control. He knows that Aokiji will betray him someday and he simply uses him in the meantime, but at the same time he isn't aware, that this is all part of Aokiji's plan. Blackbeard being outplayed in his own game, would be poetic justice.

But on the other hand the Gorosei don't sound like, they know about such a mission. So either Aokiji acts independent, the marines act independent from the World Government (which would be likely, since Sakazuki doesn't want to be a puppet) or he works for a third party (both Shanks or the Revolution Army would be possibilities).

No matter what, having a Ex-Admiral in your command, is a heavy portrayal of power. And an Ex-Admiral has a high chance to get into Blackbeard's inner circles.

Aokiji could certainly be on a mission that will end up double crossing Black Beard but to me it just seems like he's working with Black Beard legitimately, just to accomplish some goal.

As far as Shanks is concerned, many people including White Beard were surprised that he came back from the East Blue missing an arm. It's very much implied that Shanks was a big shot even back then.

RomanceDawn

Yeah White Beard knows exactly who and what D's are and why discovering One Piece would have the world enter World War D. The whole theme of inherited will is all over One Piece and that was just our latest hint on the subject. Roger and his crew are waiting for someone to come along and finish out what they couldn't, finish out what we might call the Will of D. Teach isn't that person, it's obviously Law.

not only that but Blackbeard was the only D shown to fear death

You know, I interpreted his cowardice as something completely different. Oda described the Black Beards as the most real world pirate like pirates in the One Piece story. He'll stab people in the back and beg for mercy if he thinks it will give him the upper hand. Most every character we've seen has gotten afraid of something but I think his reaction when battling White Beard was all an act. When he got Hydra'd by Magellan, what can you do but scream in agony?

As far as we know, Roger, Rayleigh and Whitebeard are the ones who know everything. There are some wildcards like Shanks or Cronus who could also know.

As for Blackbeards fear of death, correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Ace similarly afraid of death before his actual demise?

As far as we know, Roger, Rayleigh and Whitebeard are the ones who know everything. There are some wildcards like Shanks or Cronus who could also know.

As for Blackbeards fear of death, correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Ace similarly afraid of death before his actual demise?

He seemed pretty at peace with the situation until he got snapped out it by Whitebeard's crew and Luffy.

Also I guess he wasn't at his actual point of death.

cw_sasuke

Yeah you cant take BB action that serious - he overreacts on most stuff and thats why his foes often underestimate him. Taking a hit and screaming like he is really hurt only to hit you really hard a second later.

Ace was also shown to be scared when facing death - i dont think D means that you are immune to having these type of feeling. At this point D. are people capable of challenging and changing the world order, but between them there are differences based on their specif traits.

RomanceDawn

Yeah being D, just means you will most likely die with a smile on your face. Saul, Roger, Ace, Luffy on the execution platform. Was Law's dad a D or did that come from his mother's side? I feel like Homan had a smile just before Doffy shot him.

Squishy3

Ace was also shown to be scared when facing death - i dont think D means that you are immune to having these type of feeling. At this point D. are people capable of challenging and changing the world order, but between them there are differences based on their specif traits.
Ace wasn't scared of death, he didn't want anyone else to die for him.

Whitebeard said Teach wasn't the D Roger was looking for, specifically. Whatever that means.

Roger explained what the D was about to Whitebeard. This is probably why Whitebeard was treating Ace like his successor and why he so quickly trusted Luffy. Whatever was explained to Whitebeard he liked the idea enough to want to leave it as his legacy.

On the other hand Teach was in his crew for a long ass time calling himself D but Whitebeard didn't really take it seriously. He said that Blackbeard was not one of the ones that carry on the will of Roger. And that those people were few and will be recorded in history as the people who fought for the world. Whitebeard doesn't even talk about "D" just what is important to him.

Lunar15

Not sure why people are saying that D's are completely unafraid of death. It's more that when faced with certain death, they smile in the face of it. Literally.

On the subject of blackbeard, I've always enjoyed the contrast between Luffy and Blackbeard: Blackbeard's power makes him absorb things and take additional physical damage. Luffy's makes him reflect things and take less physical damage.

Don't know about anyone else, but Luffy sure as fire doesn't fear death. We've seen proof if this many times. It's simply part of his personality. Not so sure about characters like Law and Ace though.

Have we seen things go really wrong for Law yet, though? Like, needing to be saved by a lightning bolt from immediate decapitation levels of wrong?

ffdgh

Have we seen things go really wrong for Law yet, though? Like, needing to be saved by a lightning bolt from immediate decapitation levels of wrong?

Hmm Lead poisoning, Spending six months searching for a cure with Rosinante, finding said cure but losing Rosinante in the process.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Roger explained what the D was about to Whitebeard. This is probably why Whitebeard was treating Ace like his successor and why he so quickly trusted Luffy. Whatever was explained to Whitebeard he liked the idea enough to want to leave it as his legacy.

On the other hand Teach was in his crew for a long ass time calling himself D but Whitebeard didn't really take it seriously. He said that Blackbeard was not one of the ones that carry on the will of Roger. And that those people were few and will be recorded in history as the people who fought for the world. Whitebeard doesn't even talk about "D" just what is important to him.
More like whitebeard doesn't give a damn about your name. It's how you carry yourself

Hmm Lead poisoning, Spending six months searching for a cure with Rosinante, finding said cure but losing Rosinante in the process.

Eh, that's back story, it doesn't feel the same. And, let's not forget, he cried like some kind of child. I mean, come on

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I don't remember, did the other "invincible " fruits aside from the rumble rumble fruit ever get named?

The glint glint fruit has to be one of them, right?

I don't remember, did the other "invincible " fruits aside from the rumble rumble fruit ever get named?

The glint glint fruit has to be one of them, right?

There were others? I thought gura gura was just considered the strongest.

Kizaru, Marco and Kuma must be the closest to that level.

cw_sasuke

Law seems like he doesn't fear death either or atlease not very much.
Yeah... He went against Dofla knowing that it will mean his death.

These guys live their lifes without regrets, can't achieve these goals if you are scared of death.

20140921111256!Doflamingo_Shoots_Law.png

hqdefault.jpg

Oh yeah! Law seems pretty frustrated here between personal failures and needing Luffy.

The one scene where he realizes he's fucked after the Gamma Knife sneak attack failed was pretty telling. Not sure if he was crying or not when he was clutching his face but damn, felt bad for the guy risking it all for that one attack.

I wonder if we will have a marines vs marines arc, or something like that

There will almost definitely be a split between the marines and the WG. Even in this chapter with Akainu and tons of hints throughout the series where the WG impedes the Marines doing their job. Sengoku going "are you fucking serious" when he's told to cover up the extra unaccounted prisoners escaping Impel Down comes to mind.

Then the question is, who would side with the WG? This chapter makes it seem like Akainu would be the first one to tell the WG to screw off, and if he's down I can't imagine the more morally conscious Marine characters sticking around.

There will almost definitely be a split between the marines and the WG. Even in this chapter with Akainu and tons of hints throughout the series where the WG impedes the Marines doing their job. Sengoku going "are you fucking serious" when he's told to cover up the extra unaccounted prisoners escaping Impel Down comes to mind.

Then the question is, who would side with the WG? This chapter makes it seem like Akainu would be the first one to tell the WG to screw off, and if he's down I can't imagine the more morally conscious Marine characters sticking around.

In this chapter Akainu only care about saving face more than anything else.
It was never about the job that much .
As fuji said if admitting one mistake make them lose credibility they never had it to begin with .
I see there being a split in the marines after we find out the true history .

In this chapter Akainu only care about saving face more than anything else.
It was never about the job that much .
As fuji said if admitting one mistake make them lose credibility they never had it to begin with .
I see there being a split in the marines after we find out the true history .
Akainu cares about Justice, and will do anythig to protect whatever his interpretation of that is. His idea of justice is not being weak or subserviant to Pirates which is why he was pissed.

He was also pissed AT the WG for fucking around with Doflamingo's favoritism to publish that fake newspaper because it lowers the credibility of the Marines if they are not the ones in control of what's happening behind the scenes. Akainu doesn't like them calling the shots so haphazardly when the Marines cred is at stake meaning he would put his "Justice" over the WG, which was my point. As soon as he realizes the dark secret of whatever they have going on, he'll peace.

Akainu cares about Justice, and will do anythig to protect whatever his interpretation of that is. His idea of justice is not being weak or subserviant to Pirates which is why he was pissed.

He was also pissed AT the WG for fucking around with Doflamingo's favoritism to publish that fake newspaper because it lowers the credibility of the Marines if they are not the ones in control of what's happening behind the scenes. Akainu doesn't like them calling the shots so haphazardly when the Marines cred is at stake meaning he would put his "Justice" over the WG, which was my point. As soon as he realizes the dark secret of whatever they have going on, he'll peace.

Did you forget this is the same person that kill a whole group of innocent people to keep the WG secret .
If the dark secret is going to harm the marines\WG and make them lose power you can bet he going to stop it .

Yeah White Beard knows exactly who and what D's are and why discovering One Piece would have the world enter World War D. The whole theme of inherited will is all over One Piece and that was just our latest hint on the subject. Roger and his crew are waiting for someone to come along and finish out what they couldn't, finish out what we might call the Will of D. Teach isn't that person, it's obviously Luffy.

fixed? Law could be one too, but Luffy is definitely the main one.

There were others? I thought gura gura was just considered the strongest.

Kizaru, Marco and Kuma must be the closest to that level.

Gura Gura no Mi is considered one of the strongest paramecia fruits, I don't think they ever mentioned a strongest overall fruit.

they mention rarity though, which I imagine something to do with power, Mythical Zoan being the rarest.

I still think Luffy's fruit is cool af though, I'm a sucker for stretching powers.

what's the first image? I can't see it.

Cipher Pol would still be on their side. I imagine there are a decent amount of powerful Cipher Pol members the WG could call upon.

I've been pondering about this theory concerning Bonney. Some fans think it's not really possible for Luffy to become the Pirate King at such a young age, and that he needs to gain more strength over years of battles and training. He only knows the basics of Haki and there's still new venues for him to fully master his powers, such as DF awakening.

However, I don't think there will be another big time-skip in the manga.
How's this for an idea? What if Bonney ages Luffy up a few years similar to how, in Hunter x Hunter,
Gon ages his body to a point where he had master-level Nen prowess
? Maybe that way Luffy would have the physical and biological progression without any time jumps. But there's still a lot of mystery about how Bonney's power works.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I've been pondering about this theory concerning Bonney. Some fans think it's not really possible for Luffy to become the Pirate King at such a young age, and that he needs to gain more strength over years of battles and training. He only knows the basics of Haki and there's still new venues for him to fully master his powers, such as DF awakening.

How's this for an idea? What if Bonney ages Luffy up a few years similar to how, in Hunter x Hunter,
?

I rather they just do another time skip but that is a possibility.

? Maybe that way Luffy would have the physical and biological progression without any time jumps. But there's still a lot of mystery about how Bonney's power works.

Don't see the need for that .
Then again i don't think luffy to young to be PK.
He will and has gotten a lot help along the way and being PK don't mean your unbeatable .
I expect that more than one group is going to get to raftel so PK not going to mean the same thing as with Roger .

Did you forget this is the same person that kill a whole group of innocent people to keep the WG secret .
If the dark secret is going to harm the marinesWG and make them lose power you can bet he going to stop it .
Tons of reasons why he killed the boat at Ohara, but direct loyalty to the WG was not one of them.

Think. Back then, he was just a vice-admiral that likely had no idea why they were bombing Ohara beyond enacting justice. Now he is a Fleet Admiral and deals with the 5 Elder Stars directly, and you can see just how happy he was in this chapter.

Akainu clearly doesn't give a shit about the World Government. I don't get how you can't understand that from this chapter. He literally calls out the Elder Stars and calls them old fools.

what's the first image? I can't see it.

Cipher Pol would still be on their side. I imagine there are a decent amount of powerful Cipher Pol members the WG could call upon.
Just a pic of Law getting shot by Doffy, on mobile so I can't correct it.

And yeah CP is likely sticking around till then end.

Tons of reasons why he killed the boat at Ohara, but direct loyalty to the WG was not one of them.

Think. Back then, he was just a vice-admiral that likely had no idea why they were bombing Ohara beyond enacting justice. Now he is a Fleet Admiral and deals with the 5 Elder Stars directly, and you can see just how happy he was in this chapter.

Akainu clearly doesn't give a shit about the World Government. I don't get how you can't understand that from this chapter. He literally calls out the Elder Stars and calls them old fools.

You seem to be missing the point the marines are part of the WG.
The are no marines without the WG .
Who do you think cover up stuff to make the marines look good in the first place .
If the WG falls so does the marines or they current power hold over the world .

You think just because he was angry with them he does not care about the WG orderpower etc etc make no sense.
They call him a brat and told him they don't give a fuck what he thinks also .

I rather they just do another time skip but that is a possibility.
I don't think there will be another big time-skip. Maybe smaller ones over a few months, but even that seems unlikely.
I don't think Oda will use the same training tactic twice.

Don't see the need for that .
Then again i don't think luffy to young to be PK.
He will and has gotten a lot help along the way and being PK don't mean your unbeatable .
I expect that more than one group is going to get to raftel so PK not going to mean the same thing as with Roger .

I feel the same way, but it's some interesting food for thought.

You seem to be missing the point the marines are part of the WG.
The are no marines without the WG .
Who do you think cover up stuff to make the marines look good in the first place .
If the WG falls so does the marines or they current power hold over the world .

You think just because he was angry with them he does not care about the WG orderpower etc etc make no sense.
They call him a brat and told him they don't give a fuck what he thinks also .
Lol wat, this whole conversation started because we were saying there will be a split between the WG and the Marines. So you're saying without the WG there can be no Marines and no justice? That's contradicting Smoker, Sengoku, and other characters who would gladly have a Marine corp free from the ruthless WG.

How can you be ignorant of this plot point? It's been going on for years and in this very arc with Fujitora ("is the World Government a god or something?"). There are righteous Marines that will continue to exist without the WG, and in this chapter we see how Akainu thinks the WG is incompetent and causing him to lose face.

I don't think you understand the discussion.

Lol wat, this whole conversation started because we were saying there will be a split between the WG and the Marines. So you're saying without the WG there can be no Marines and no justice? That's contradicting Smoker, Sengoku, and other characters who would gladly have a Marine corp free from the ruthless WG.

How can you be ignorant of this plot point? It's been going on for years and in this very arc with Fujitora ("is the World Government a god or something?"). There are righteous Marines that will continue to exist without the WG, and in this chapter we see how Akainu thinks the WG is incompetent and causing him to lose face.

I don't think you understand the discussion.

I do understand the discussion but Akainu is nothing like those characters.

I do understand the discussion but Akainu is nothing like those characters.
How? He is questioning the WG just like them, but is in no hurry to change the system yet obviously.

We are talking hypothetically in the future when his vision of justice is threatened and he is pushed too far. When more secrets are revealed.

According to you, Akainu would have been totally fine with CP and the Elder Stars going behind the Marines back in Dressrossa because "the marines can't exist without the WG". Was he happy with them in this chapter? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom