• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How? He is questioning the WG just like them, but is in no hurry to change the system yet obviously.

We are talking hypothetically in the future when his vision of justice is threatened and he is pushed too far. When more secrets are revealed.

According to you, Akainu would have been totally fine with CP and the Elder Stars going behind the Marines back in Dressrossa because "the marines can't exist without the WG". Was he happy with them in this chapter? No.

No i am saying that Akainu would protect the WG before he allow it to lose power since it effects the marines .

No i am saying that Akainu would protect the WG before he allow it to lose power since it effects the marines .
Yeah you're right, but that doesn't mean he cares about the WG and their goals.

All I'm saying is that there will come a time where he won't want to protect the WG because their plans will contradict how he wants the Marines to be run. This chapter showed how they can disagree, and that Akainu isn't a plain servent who will follow orders without question.

so there was a discussion a couple pages back about Robin, Sabo, and why Robin didn't tell Luffy Sabo is alive.

In chapter 745 (Bird Cage), on page 5, when Robin reunites with Sabo, Koala, and Hack, she asks them if they got the chance to meet with Luffy.

I guess this could mean one of two things:
- She doesn't know Sabo and Luffy have a past
- She was asking if he reunited with Luffy.

Personally, I think that if she was implying the second point she would have said meet with Luffy, although I'm not reading an official translation.

Anyway the point is I think it's a possibility that Robin didn't know the connection between Luffy and Sabo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
so there was a discussion a couple pages back about Robin, Sabo, and why Robin didn't tell Luffy Sabo is alive.

In chapter 745 (Bird Cage), on page 5, when Robin reunites with Sabo, Koala, and Hack, she asks them if they got the chance to meet with Luffy.

I guess this could mean one of two things:
- She doesn't know Sabo and Luffy have a past
- She was asking if he reunited with Luffy.

Personally, I think that if she was implying the second point she would have said meet with Luffy, although I'm not reading an official translation.

Anyway the point is I think it's a possibility that Robin didn't know the connection between Luffy and Sabo.
... she spent 2 years with the revolutionary army, I'm pretty sure she knows :p

It almost seems counterproductive for Fujitora to want to make a case for the abolition of the Warlord system and then go AWOL. Maybe he feels exposing Doflamingo and shaming the government was enough to do that, though.

I don't see Fujitora earnestly trying to capture Luffy and Law. I think it might turn out to be the case that he lets them leave, reports it as a failure, and ends up being forgiven by Akainu's superiors (who would likely be very unhappy with his decision to run an admiral out of the Marines).

Jigolo

Fuji protects the boys while they heal and make their way to Wano on the Marine battleship.

Fuji protects the boys while they heal and make their way to Sanji and co.

Then Fuji teams up with them and if they meet with Sanji, Big Mom will be the first Yonko to go down.

If they go to Wano, Sanji is ded.

Maedhros

Has anyone else found this whole arc really bad?

Since the timeskip I can't really like this manga like before.

Specially when I have read many mangas with lots of better pacing than this one.

Also, the amount of characters in this arc...
The fact that the fights were underwhelming (aside from Luffy vs Doflamingo, but even then it wasn't that good, IMO).
And tons of things happening in the same chapter...

Specially when I have read many mangas with lots of better pacing than this one.

The fact that the fights were underwhelming (aside from Luffy vs Doflamingo, but even then it wasn't that good, IMO).

I actually found it sooo good when I read it all at once yesterday. So much foreshadowing and epic reveals. I think, for me, it was just the pace from reading a chapter once a week when everything in the manga is meant to be happening so fast.

Bro the Wano arc is going to be INSANE

tumblr_lsin9rhCOP1qbe30io1_500.gif

Grexeno

I can't fucking wait to see what Kaido looks like. And goddamn, no matter what he looks like, he needs to be voiced by Wakamoto.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I really do have to question when the whiners started reading weekly

I started weekly reading at Water Seven.
I remember when Enies Lobby was considered dragging too long.
I also remember taking a hiatus after that and coming back during Amazon Lily when someone told me about an "island of women". ... Don't judge me!

I also remember taking a hiatus after that and coming back during Amazon Lily when someone told me about an "island of women". ... Don't judge me!

See, I feel like most of the people constantly whining about Dressrosa are people who read most of the major pretimeskip arcs in one go, and thus really just aren't used to reading the long arcs weekly. One Piece actually has a ton of stuff going on in almost every chapter, if anything it could stand to be paced a bit more slowly so individual events could get more focus and highlight

360pages

Eh, I think the pacing did ruin the arc. It wasn't only how long it took, but also the fact that the location wasn't that varied and had so many sub-plots that it got jumbled. It felt like a more scattered and loosely written Alabasta. Even if that was intentional, it legit feels like what people feel like the average One Piece arc is. But as above said, most people read this weekly, so pacing has to be adjusted for such because that is how not only us, but most weekly shonen jump readers get it.

Eh, I think the pacing did ruin the arc. It wasn't only how long it took, but also the fact that the location wasn't that varied and had so many sub-plots that it got jumbled. It felt like a more scattered and loosely written Alabasta. Even if that was intentional, it legit feels like what people feel like the average One Piece arc is. But as above said, most people read this weekly, so pacing has to be adjusted for such because that is how not only us, but most weekly shonen jump readers get it.

Actually, I expect more readers in Japan and in general read on a volume by volume basis, not a weekly manga

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah, most readers in Japan wait for Volume releases for the better quality print.
Plus, most readers don't want Jump as they most likely don't want the other series.

Maedhros

I really do have to question when the whiners started reading weekly

I started reading this manga since the middle of Alabasta arc.

I never had a problem with pacing 'till Marineford. Since then, I can't say that I really like this manga like before anymore.

Boku no Hero Academia, on the other hand, has almost a perfect pacing so far. Nothing feels too long or too short.

More people in Japan read the manga in vol than they do weekly .
Vols are where the money is and where the better art and changes are .
Don't think Oda or Shueisha that concern about weekly pacing ,in fact they make sure Oda gets a break every few chapters along with the regular breaks we get .
This arc is top 5 for me reading in vol or batch format is so good.

That is why when people talk about pacing i ask them how they read it , during Marineford Oda was taking a lot of breaks
People were saying how poor the pacing is but that arc in vol format is awesome.

I don't think the big authors really concern about weekly or monthly pacing .
Most big manga sell more in vol format than the magazine they in .

Dressrosa was a Top 5 arc for me. Ran a bit long but all the payoff was worth it.

agree. this arc and enies lobby are probably tied for first imo

I actually found it sooo good when I read it all at once yesterday. So much foreshadowing and epic reveals. I think, for me, it was just the pace from reading a chapter once a week when everything in the manga is meant to be happening so fast.

also agree with this. i've been rereading dressarosa and it reads great as a whole. i'm on the chapter where Usopp takes out Sugar for the second time, and god damn that's a great chapter with Usopp awakening his haki and all. hype as fuck.

Laz-E-Boy

I didn't find it bad, but I was pretty disappointed by it. Before the timeskip, I was eagerly anticipating an arc featuring Doflamingo. now that I've gone through it while I enjoyed a fair amount of it I was pretty bored and disappointed by lot of the plot/characters.

The Luffy/Doflamingo fight was underwhelming (hell, all the fights were underwhelming), the Birdcage drama I felt was really forced (Oda needs to find another way to create drama instead falling back to the "[random thing] is about to destroy everything and people are running around in panic, the Strawhats must race against time to save everyone!" trope he's been using for nearly every arc since Alabasta), I didn't care for any of the characters introduced in this arc except for Bartolomeo and Fujitora, Rebecca was TERRIBLE, I didn't really care for Doflamingo's crew, the tournament was just...there and there were so many characters involved it felt like the arc couldn't get into a consistent rhythm. It was just all over the place pacing wise.

All that said, what I did like was seeing Sabo and the Revolutionaries, Law's flashback with Corazan and I really enjoyed the portrayal of Doflamingo's character.

But thinking of he handled Dressrosa with all of its characters, I'm seriously beginning to be worried that I won't like the inevitable world war arc, especially since last time he had such a large amount of characters involved in the story was the Marineford war and that had some of the same problems Dressrosa had (poor pacing, underwhelming/off screen fights)...but then again Marineford is one of my favorite arcs despite the problems because the majority of the characters with significant screentime were, and still are, extremely important the story.

360pages

Dressrosa probably would have been so much better if the tournament section was cut in half or cut entirely. Have another way for Sabo to get the devil fruit, at most it set up the fact that they had people on their side fighting. Which easily could have been written in another way.

Dressrosa probably would have been so much better if the tournament section was cut in half or cut entirely. Have another way for Sabo to get the devil fruit, at most it set up the fact that they had people on their side fighting. Which easily could have been written in another way.

It was use for a lot of stuff.
Set up luffy allies and other characters , giving him another reason to kick don ass.
Country history and few more things.
Plus it was not many chapters .

Kornflayx

The problem is that post time-skip has mostly been a set up for the first Emperor.

It will get more interesting when the Straw Hats are finally running into opponents they can't just stomp into the ground without being in serious trouble. Even Doflamingo didn't feel like the kind of threat that for example Magellan, Admirals, Kuma etc. were.

When they finally get to Kaido and his commanders things will get crazy again. Because then they have to be creative and can't rely on their power ups anymore.

Because then they have to be creative and can't rely on their power ups anymore.

It's already been made clear that a future power jump is the awakened form of devil fruit abilities that Doffy used.

In terms of the straw hats facing totally one sided fights like previous encounters with admirals and Kuma before the time skip were not fights like the big arc conclusions. I don't know how many more years they plan to run the manga for. I think that if people expect Luffy to rush straight to Kaido now and beat him they might get really frustrated waiting 5+ years for it to happen.

MCD

The problem is that post time-skip has mostly been a set up for the first Emperor.

It will get more interesting when the Straw Hats are finally running into opponents they can't just stomp into the ground without being in serious trouble. Even Doflamingo didn't feel like the kind of threat that for example Magellan, Admirals, Kuma etc. were.

When they finally get to Kaido and his commanders things will get crazy again. Because then they have to be creative and can't rely on their power ups anymore.

they had to team up with law plus the entire coliseum guys to take down doffy. strawhats were lucky imo.

Dugna

I question how people like Nami and Usopp are going to beat the higher up enemies to be honest...they're both going to be great assets still and help out in many others ways but it's hard for me to think of how they would beat lets say a Kaido crewmember.

Nami's thunder attack is OP and Usopp is pretty damn strong post-timeskip (when outside of the enemy's range, at least). I think they'll prove useful as always, and even then, there are other things they can do outside of combat.

So the more I think about it, having just watched anime ep 700, I think that the Marine Civil war is ALREADY happening.

I think Fujitora just announced that he's starting his own faction of marines to fight against the current regime.

they had to team up with law plus the entire coliseum guys to -take down doffy. strawhats were lucky imo.

Strawhats were at half mast, although it still probably would have been hard to win if all the crew was there. It wasn't luck though, Mihawk has commented before how Luffy's greatest strength is turning people into allies, albeit he had great help from Usopp this time. Also Luffy (presumably) could have taken out Doffy much quicker if he had used King Kong Gun from the beginning. Or at least the first time he went Gear 4.

I think it was a pretty great arc, one of my favorites really.

How long do you think it will be before Luffy can go Gear 4 without side effects? Honestly I'm really looking forward to near end of the manga when hopefully Luffy is on Yonko level.

SalvaPot

Wait for the Manga Volumes, read it all in one sitting.

I hated Fishman Island arc when it was releasing week by week, but when the volumes released and I was able to read them back to back the pacing and plotline made so much sense and enjoyed it far more, so nowadays I wait for 3 or 4 chapter to stockpile and read them all together.

Funny enough the weekly format kind of hurts One Piece pacing.

Harmen

NEO-MARINES!?

I do not see that happening, but there are still also Garp, Sengoku and Kuzan (not convinced he is loyal to BB, offcourse). There are some significant ex-marines out there. Not sure what Oda has in mind for them.

Wait for the Manga Volumes, read it all in one sitting.

I hated Fishman Island arc when it was releasing week by week, but when the volumes released and I was able to read them back to back the pacing and plotline made so much sense and enjoyed it far more, so nowadays I wait for 3 or 4 chapter to stockpile and read them all together.

Funny enough the weekly format kind of hurts One Piece pacing.

Agreed. I read Fishman in one go and enjoyed it very much. Punk Hazard as well.

Especially flashbacks can ruin pacing with weekly breaks, while they are neat background info when you can go trough them at once.

Same goes for the anime, I wish they just went with a season format and create a coherent and well paced show that releases every year or so. Both will never happen though.

jbug617

Banned
Listening to the One Piece Podcast they said it's Sengoku on the ship with Tsuru and not Garp. Their reasoning is that the cracker they mentioned is not the one Garp eats, In the Corazon/Sengoku coversations the passwords were cookies(Corazon)/crackers(Sengoku) and in the Film Z book Sengoku new title is Inspector General.

Listening to the One Piece Podcast they said it's Sengoku on the ship with Tsuru and not Garp. Their reasoning is that the cracker they mentioned is not the one Garp eats, In the Corazon/Sengoku coversations the passwords were cookies(Corazon)/crackers(Sengoku) and in the Film Z book Sengoku new title is Inspector General.

Makes sense considering Tsuru's connection to Doflamingo in the flashback and Sengoku's connection to Cora.

Seems fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom