• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If anything I see Burgess as one of the strongest guys on blackbeard's crew and Sano stomping him was just to show how strong Sabo is.

If anything I see Burgess as one of the strongest guys on blackbeard's crew and Sano stomping him was just to show how strong Sabo is.

I feel like by the endgame, Sanji and Zoro should be somewhere close to Sabo at the very least though. Though since Burgess will likely get a DF, maybe he'll get one that gives him a huge powerup

Big One

Banned
Re-read the chapter on Mangastream, much better translation. Chapter is really solid this week again.

Though methinks the bullets are actually made out of "Sake Metal" and it's going to be located in Wano country. In fact the whole guns replacing swords theme is common in Japanese history and fantasy literature.

Grexeno

Re-read the chapter on Mangastream, much better translation. Chapter is really solid this week again.

Though methinks the bullets are actually made out of "Sake Metal" and it's going to be located in Wano country.
So setting up Kaido as some massive arms manufacturer?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SHIRYU is Shilliewtf in official english translation? For real?

F6DMHVJ.png

Blame Oda

At first I thought it would be some kind of seastone metal but I doubt it. Kind of a strange thing to introduce. We'll see where that goes.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just had an idea. What if Aokiji is actually going undercover in the BB crew as part of the revolutionaries? And that Burgess will discover this at the leader meeting
Or he was actually put up to it by Akainu and never actually left the marines. It's exactly the kind of underhanded sabotage Sakaziki would order

Veelk

Banned
Whats wrong with the worst generation?

It reminds me of when people call me a millenial, it gets me so offended

What's wrong with "The Worst Generation"?

The same thing that's wrong with Shiliew. The previous name "Eleven Supernovas" and "Shiryu" were better. Shiryu is the word for dragon, Shiliew is something I'd name a shrew. Eleven Supernovas sounds epic, the worst generation sounds like an old man complaining about the younguns.

Oxn

The same thing that's wrong with Shiliew. The previous name "Eleven Supernovas" and "Shiryu" were better. Shiryu is the word for dragon, Shiliew is something I'd name a shrew. Eleven Supernovas sounds epic, the worst generation sounds like an old man complaining about the younguns.

I actually prfer the name worst generation for the exact same reason you just described

Both of the phrases "Supernovas" and "The Worst Generation" are used. One does not exclude the other. You're missing the whole point. This is a "glass if half-full/half-empty" situation. People who are impressed by them call them "Supernovas", people who hate them call them "The Worst Generation". It's not a complicated concept and it's not unusual either. I really don't see what you're going on about, to be honest.

Big One

Banned
That's kind of the whole point of their name, lol.

I was not aware that they weren't the "Eleven Supernovas" anymore, I just thought that the "Worst Generation" was an alternate name that old men used to describe them. Keep in mind that One Piece characters tend to be older than they appear such as Doflamingo being in his 40's.

Blackbeard is also a part of the group so "Eleven Supernovas" doesn't really include him either.

bjork

I only know "Worst Generation" as someone on my OPTC friends list. But it does sound dumb because they're all different ages, isn't Urogue like 48?

Veelk

Banned
Both of the phrases "Supernovas" and "The Worst Generation" are used. One does not exclude the other. You're missing the whole point. This is a "glass if half-full/half-empty" situation. People who are impressed by them call them "Supernovas", people who hate them call them "The Worst Generation". It's not a complicated concept and it's not unusual either. I really don't see what you're going on about, to be honest.

Luffy just called himself and Law the worst generation during their fight with Doffy proudly. While they can be used to refer to the rookies alone, the term seems to have been supplanted to allow Blackbeard to join the group for whatever reason.

Squishy3

place your bets on who the revolutionary leaders that aren't ivankov are

Luffy just called himself and Law the worst generation during their fight with Doffy proudly. While they can be used to refer to the rookies alone, the term seems to have been supplanted to allow Blackbeard to join the group for whatever reason.
in doffy's speech blackbeard was firmly placed with the yonkous though, nobody considers him a member of the worst generation since he was a pirate before the series began

Are you sure that the Japanese wording was that? And did he really say it proudly? I can't remember when it was said, but then I don't think Luffy even cares.

Mostly just supernova was a general term for anyone who reached the New world woth a bounty over 100 million. Caribou, coribou, Bartolomeo, and Cavendish were also all considered super nova

Russ T

Banned

People embrace insults and claim them as their own all the time.

Shitheads in school used to call me rat boy to make fun of my big ears/teeth, and a friend of mine was like "fuck yeah, like Splinter from TMNT, he's awesome", and thus I was Splinter from then on.

There are other more controversial examples I could provide having to do with real-life bigotry, but I dunno if it's worth going there.

Point is, fuck yeah, I'm a nerd. So what?

(All that said, I don't really remember this scene, or how Luffy said it, so whatever.)

Oxn

Mostly just supernova was a general term for anyone who reached the New world woth a bounty over 100 million. Caribou, coribou, Bartolomeo, and Cavendish were also all considered super nova

Huh wasnt supernova introduces during sabody? How can it be new world. Maybe 100+ in the grand line?

People embrace insults and claim them as their own all the time.

Shitheads in school used to call me rat boy to make fun of my big ears/teeth, and a friend of mine was like "fuck yeah, like Splinter from TMNT, he's awesome", and thus I was Splinter from then on.

There are other more controversial examples I could provide having to do with real-life bigotry, but I dunno if it's worth going there.

Point is, fuck yeah, I'm a nerd. So what?

(All that said, I don't really remember this scene, or how Luffy said it, so whatever.)
i think they're referring to the scene where Law calls Luffy the worst, and Luffy replies that Law is also part of that generation

Kornflayx

It was on Dressrosa where Law said something like "you're the worst" to Luffy and Luffy responded "remember that you're part of that generation too"

Edit: it was actually when they were fighting Doflamingo on the roof and Luffy hit the red hawk

Squishy3

BB is part of both
nvm i'll concede defeat on this but it's kind of weird to classify blackbeard as one with the way his story was revealed

supernova referred to anyone who reached sabaody with a bounty of over 100 million

Huh wasnt supernova introduces during sabody? How can it be new world. Maybe 100+ in the grand line?
I meant when they first reached the new world, or in another words by the end of the first half. Saobondy is the last real stop at the end of the first half, so that's why they use that as the cutoff point for reaching that status

No, the term was only given to young people who made their way to Sabaody before the Whitebeard war, and who were related to all the chaos that was happening. None of those characters you mentioned are considered supernova. Cavendish even says it himself that the supernova stole his moment in the spotlight.

No, the term was only given to young people who made their way to Sabaody before the Whitebeard war, and who we're related to all the chaos that was happening. None of those characters you mentioned are considered supernova.
All of them were called supernova. At least in Japanese. Supernova just means super rookie

Hmm, you're right. That's confusing how they're called the "eleven supernova", and then there's more. Even the Wiki contradicts itself all over the place on this.
The Japanese choshinsei is used in all situations to refer to pirates who got to the end of the first half with a bounty over 100 million. Supernova is how it was translated. 11 supernova was used to refer to the 11 who were all at saobondy at the same time and would become known as the worst generation along with blackbeard

Oxn

The Japanese choshinsei is used in all situations to refer to pirates who got to the end of the first half with a bounty over 100 million. Supernova is how it was translated. 11 supernova was used to refer to the 11 who were all at saobondy at the same time and would become known as the worst generation along with blackbeard

Guess that makes sense

Revolutionary Army done fucked up. How are you gonna let one of the most infamous faces on the entire planet stow away on a ship headed to your secret headquarters. Lock that shit down.
He could have made this as well tbf

yeah, liquorized metal really does sound like something only Wapol could mass produce.

Hmm, you're right. That's confusing how they're called the "eleven supernova", and then there's more. Even the Wiki contradicts itself all over the place on this.
Wiki is a fan project, and fans get confused since for a long time that's how we knew them. But the Japanese word has definitely been used beyond just the eleven

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Blackbeard is really strange in that he was a member of whitebeard'a crew for like 30 years, yet he never obtained a bounty. Furthermore, before obtaining any devil fruit powers, he was able to kill Thatch, one of the division commanders (although that was probably a matter of stabbing him in the back rather than a straight up fight), and, even more impressive, scar shanks's face. From his fights, he seems rather vulnerable to attack, and not all that skilled at combat, just incredibly tanky.

Then again we've only seen him fight Ace, Whitebeard, and Magellan, all of whom are monsters.

It's hard to get a read on him.

Blackbeard is really strange in that he was a member of whitebeard'a crew for like 30 years, yet he never obtained a bounty. Furthermore, before obtaining any devil fruit powers, he was able to kill Thatch, one of the division commanders (although that was probably a matter of stabbing him in the back rather than a straight up fight), and, even more impressive, scar shanks's face. From his fights, he seems rather vulnerable to attack, and not all that skilled at combat, just incredibly tanky.

Then again we've only seen him fight Ace, Whitebeard, and Magellan, all of whom are monsters.

It's hard to get a read on him.
I think the reason he's included is he only became notable at the same time as them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom