• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This thread would be so much better if everyone just put Veelk on ignore

I apologize for gettin into it with him like this, I know it just craps up the thread. This'll be the end of that.

WOO ONE PIECE

Ya know, for stealing Doffy back off that ship, Sugar has basically the best possible fruit almost. If she can infiltrate she can just turn him into a toy. No one will even remember he exists to be sad that he escaped. Just turn him back when they're out.

Though, do we know if sugar still remembers the people she turns into toys? I guess she could just stick a little note in her pocket.

This thread would be so much better if everyone just put Veelk on ignore

That's the coward's way out, and I am a man of honor

More like people should recognize the first rule of internet arguing; you are never ever ever ever ever ever ever going to be able to change someone's opinion on something. Ever. It's a gut reaction, and only they can change it.

Nocebo

I apologize for gettin into it with him like this, I know it just craps up the thread. This'll be the end of that.

WOO ONE PIECE

Ya know, for stealing Doffy back off that ship, Sugar has basically the best possible fruit almost. If she can infiltrate she can just turn him into a toy. No one will even remember he exists to be sad that he escaped. Just turn him back when they're out.

Though, do we know if sugar still remembers the people she turns into toys? I guess she could just stick a little note in her pocket.
Yeah, that's an awesome fruit power and stuff like that makes me wonder. Will we ever get some sort of explanation about the fruits? Do we even want or need one? Are they inherently unexplainable?

According to some one piece wiki, oda has said that some professor (vegapunk?) will explain the mechanisms behind devil fruits some time in the future.

But how do you explain something that's magic in a satisfactory way? Maybe they're best left mysterious.

Bandini

WOO ONE PIECE

I'm pretty sure she does not remember. But now I'm second guessing myself.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

WOO ONE PIECE

It's unknown whether Sugar remembers. The series ends up implying it both ways.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, that's an awesome fruit power and stuff like that makes me wonder. Will we ever get some sort of explanation about the fruits? Do we even want or need one? Are they inherently unexplainable?

According to some one piece wiki, oda has said that some professor (vegapunk?) will explain the mechanisms behind devil fruits some time in the future.

But how do you explain something that's magic in a satisfactory way? Maybe they're best left mysterious.

I'm not sure we'll ever get an exact explanation. Everything we've learned about devil fruits so far has been us putting together different plot points across the series. For example, while we were recently given a name for an "awakening" we've seen it happen quite a few times in the past--most notably when Chopper fights and uses the rumble ball forms. As a result of that, we generally know how an awakening work without ever having been told explicitly. We also know how devil fruit regenerate after the user dies. Vegapunk is likely going to fill in a lot of blanks, but I'm not so sure it will be through exposition.

I just realized something guys.

The Straw Hat crew's total bounty is 1,570,000,100
The Straw Hat Grand Fleet's total bounty is 1,097,000,000.

In total there bounty is 2,667,000,100. O.O

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think Devil Fruits may end up being alive somehow. Maybe "awakening" actually means that you "wake" the devil inside, and by communing with it gain greater power. *coughbleachcough*

Cause you know, Vegapunk has fed fruits to inanimate objects. Funkfreed the sword that can turn into an alive elephant. Zoan fruits probably control the soul of a beast somehow. If we get a better explanation for SMILE eventually, I bet it'll tie directly into this.

Russ T

Banned
QUESTION.

Did I miss something, or has it just been ignored?

First time (I think) Luffy goes Gear Second (I think), someone (Chopper or himself?) says it's permanently damaging his body (I think).

Is that ever addressed? It's been years since then, and he's surpassed it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
QUESTION.

First time (I think) Luffy goes Gear Second (I think), someone (Chopper or himself?) says it's permanently damaging his body (I think).

Luffy has done a million things that have "shortened his lifespan" at this point. He'll probably die at 30. But no, no one really talks about it after the fact.

QUESTION.

It's pretty much just a way of foreshadowing that Luffy will die young in the world, although not until he completes his dream.

After his repeated Gear 2nd use, his poisoning by Magellan, his repeated hormone injections by Ivankov, his scarring by Akainu, and his recent blood tranfusions on Fishman Island not to mention all the fights Luffy has been through, I'd say it's a given that Luffy is a candle that burns the brightest and fastest.

I just realized something guys.

The Straw Hat crew's total bounty is 1,570,000,100
The Straw Hat Grand Fleet's total bounty is 1,097,000,000.

In total there bounty is 2,667,000,100. O.O
Do we know the bounty of all fleet members? I thought we only knew cavendish, Bart (and Gambia I guess since he's on Bart's crew) and that they all rose at least 50 mil after dressrosa

bjork

It's pretty much just a way of foreshadowing that Luffy will die young in the world, although not until he completes his dream.

After his repeated Gear 2nd use, his poisoning by Magellan, his repeated hormone injections by Ivankov, his scarring by Akainu, and his recent blood tranfusions on Fishman Island not to mention all the fights Luffy has been through, I'd say it's a given that Luffy is a candle that burns the brightest and fastest.

Like the green ranger :(

if luffy dies at the end of one piece i will be so sad ;_;

Law can do the immortality thing on him, some people had that theory awhile ago. I kinda hope that doesn't happen, but I guess it's an option until it isn't any more.

QUESTION.

Lucci tells Luffy that he's shortening his lifespan, and Luffy acknowledges it.

Yeah, like user above said, many things has shortened his lifespan, in particular the treatment he got from Ivankov.

if luffy dies at the end of one piece i will be so sad ;_;

It could happen, but I don't know, I don't think Oda wants to go for a sad ending. If he dies it will be done in the happy/sad-combination manor that's trademarked by Oda.

Luffy has done a million things that have "shortened his lifespan" at this point. He'll probably die at 30. But no, no one really talks about it after the fact.

This was a big thing in Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin was always doing things that put his body through the mill. In the manga he had a happy ending but in an OVA a director created a sad ending where his injuries caught up to him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This was a big thing is Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin was always doing things that put his body through the mill. In the manga he had a happy ending but in an OVA a director created a sad ending where his injuries caught up to him.

In the manga he found himself unable to use any of his moves at the very end of the series, all because of the accumulated damage from his ultimate move.

bjork

It could happen, but I don't know, I don't think Oda wants to go for a sad ending. If he dies it will be done in the happy/sad-combination manor that's trademarked by Oda.

I could see it being something like a chapter at the very end being placed after the story events by some amount of years, and Luffy being discussed on the same level as Roger or WB, and a kid is exploring somewhere and finds a gum-gum fruit on a tree. All done through silhouettes so we can just theorize on the who and where of it.

There's pretty much no doubt in my mind that Luffy dies at the end of One Piece. It's essentially the culmination of his entire character, and he has nowhere to go after becoming pirate king.

Big One

Banned
Luffy dying at the end of One Piece prob wouldn't be sad if Oda does it right. He'll probably pass down the Strawhat to Shanks' kid or something.

I could see it being something like a chapter at the very end being placed after the story events by some amount of years, and Luffy being discussed on the same level as Roger or WB, and a kid is exploring somewhere and finds a gum-gum fruit on a tree. All done through silhouettes so we can just theorize on the who and where of it.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Some sort of epilogue like that. I know exactly what you're saying regarding silhouettes and letting the reader wonder. It's a classic move that would work very well. But it could also be that Luffy has to die on Raftel. We know a bit about what One Piece is, and it's possible that to use it you have to die, or maybe it's the opposite; that you need to have many years left of your life to use it.

The ending could also just be happy and show Luffy and his crew going for another lap around the world; seeking new adventure, and then indeed have that short epilogue after Luffy has died.

Luffy dying at the end of One Piece prob wouldn't be sad if Oda does it right. He'll probably pass down the Strawhat to Shanks' kid or something.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Luffy's dream is to become the Pirate King. The thing is, the tile of Pirate King isn't really something you hold onto. It's not like Mihawk being "The World's Greatest Swordsman", and is a title that is constantly under threat of being challenged one held. That might be what the Yonko are, but isn't what Roger was.

Roger established what a Pirate King was, sailing all the way to the end of the Grand Line. He placed One Piece on Raftel and then let himself be executed.

Luffy isn't trying to sit on a throne. He's all about adventure and when the adventure is over he's most likely gonna disband his crew, who have most likely completed their dreams themselves and will return to their homes. Luffy himself will most likely go home, pay back his tab that he said he would to the barkeeper and then die.

I know in the Baruto movie that there was a ninja that could use ninjitsu to do rubber techniques like Luffy. I was thinking Kishi is making a play at Oda & wondering if Raizo is a play back at Kishi & will use ninjitsu attacks like Naruto lol.

ffdgh

I know in the Baruto movie that there was a ninja that could use ninjitsu to do rubber techniques like Luffy. I was thinking Kishi is making a play at Oda & wondering if Raizo is a play back at Kishi & will use ninjitsu attacks like Naruto lol.

The whole rubber body thing in naruto has existed for a looooooong time.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Staying true to the will of D
TiredSecondaryIceblueredtopzebra.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
No there is a chapter this week
It was last week we didn't have a chapter.

We should get spoilers on it tonight

Squishy3

My sense of time is all fucked up then lol

being sick'll do that to you, literally haven't been able to get to sleep until 7 in the morning, and it's not even for a lack of trying

I believe in Chopper. He will find the maracle cure mushroom.

SalvaPot

QUESTION.

I think the Gear 2 risk was if he was not a Rubber Man, since his rubber body can actually withstand the increased blood pressure. It was the abuse of Gear 2 for a very short time that could be bad for him.

Not that it matters now since G2 is his Base state now.

It was him surviving the poison that really hurt Luffy´s life expectancy

Either way I expect him to die by the end of the story.

I'm sure he has considered that it could be a failure on his part to communicate, but concluded that everyone else is always wrong.

Its funny because i think thats the case on a lot of the debates around here. Some of you guys argue for some silly shit to oppose veelk.

You don't make anything clear until someone presses you on it. This has how it's been going this whole time. You bring up this "to some extent, we need to be evil" line as justification for why evil isn't something we should inherently want the opposite of, but give no indication whatsoever of this mindset ahead of time. You spend word after word after word to over-explain the points that don't need explaining, and skip over the actual parts that will make people understand you. I'm forced to insert things to fill the gaps, "he must think this, because of this," using what I feel to be normal cause and effect, but you always manage to come back with "no actually I think something completely different that I never brought up the first time, don't misrepresent me." People understand one another due to having shared baseline similarities, and you have shown that you are not particularly similar to anyone in here. Which is not a bad thing, it's just a thing. It's why everyone assumes the "wrong thing" apparently. You can't constantly be "misunderstood" by virtually everyone you talk to in a thread and fucking blame them. Every other post you make starts with something like "as I've made clear many times" but it should be obvious by now that you are the only one who thinks you are being clear. You are not being clear. I do not need more words from you, I need better words.

[Edit] God, I fucking HATE this! Why am I arguing with you! I don't give a shit about this, it is not my problem that you think this or that or anything, we aren't even talking about One Piece any more. Forget I said anything, you win, I'm wrong, I don't understand anything. I don't care, I want this to be over forever.

I disagree strongly. I dont see how its possible for veelk to make himself clearer. This post is actually pretty weird for me because i didnt think this misunderstanding was possible. And i have agreed with veelk on various arguments so that "thing" of his is not a thing at all.

Edit: i always get to these discussions late so its not necessary for the debate to spark again since its over.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So what do we think is falling on them? It's crazy enough to make Luffy have some kind of shocked and horrified face, and it's screaming "hyurara" and "hyururururu," which is a... pretty weird scream. Is that a NINJA SCREAM or.. what the hell are we gonna get here.

Grexeno

So what do we think is falling on them? It's crazy enough to make Luffy have some kind of shocked and horrified face, and it's screaming "hyurara" and "hyururururu," which is a... pretty weird scream. Is that a NINJA SCREAM or.. what the hell are we gonna get here.
Kaidou trying to kill himself by throwing himself off of Zou.

I went to the movies to watch Boruto with my friends. They had a cosplay competition but none of us have Naruto cosplay so we went as One Piece characters as a joke claiming that we were really excited for the new One Piece movie that they were showing.

And then that ninja guy comes in and starts Gomu Gomuing it up and it was amazing.

I had no idea what was going on in that movie but damn, introducing yourself and then stating who your parents are by first name has got to be the most shoe horned way to engage in fan wankery.

I think the Gear 2 risk was if he was not a Rubber Man, since his rubber body can actually withstand the increased blood pressure. It was the abuse of Gear 2 for a very short time that could be bad for him.

Not that it matters now since G2 is his Base state now.

It was him surviving the poison that really hurt Luffy´s life expectancy

Either way I expect him to die by the end of the story.

latest

dont say that! You make a lot of sense but no i won't believe it!

Imo in order of likelihood:

1) A Mink or citizen of Zou
2) Raizou
3) Bepo
4) Member of Kaidou's crew
5) Fujitora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom