• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmoka

Banned
I remember seeing a YouTube comment a long time ago that made me laugh:

That's really funny. There are lots of great Zoro memes out there.

I read another one, not long ago, which said that when Kuma told him to go inside that thing that represented Luffy's pain to die, he survived because when he saw the light, he got lost on the way. Right now I cannot find the pic.

Brah, it's Toei.

BiOdeMj.png

For anyone interested, Gear 4th will be debuting in the anime tonight

Or will it just end on "To Be Continued" with Luffy saying Gear 4th?

The synopsis is literally:

Brah, it's Toei.

Let me be optimistic

... you were right

lmao I called it.

10/10 magnificent

Dugna

I'd hope Toei doesn't screw up the Gear Fourth reveal, I mean if they do that screws up tons of merch opportunities. I mean they would sell anyway but imagine it looking all badass like Gear second in the anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At least pacing shouldn't be too bad from now on until we get to the "10 MINUTES FOR LUFFY'S HAKI TO RECHARGE" part. That's going to make 5 minutes until Namek explodes look short

I don't think it will be AS bad. I hope...
Frieza fired his planet-destroying ball in Episode 97. Namek finally blew up in 106. So 10 episodes to cover "five minutes"
Luffy's Gear Fourth runs out in Chapter 786. He returns to the battle at the end of 789. Luffy delivers the final blow in Chapter 790. Soo I imagine the 10 minute recharge will only be about 4-5 episodes. Still, that's pretty bad when it's a month of airtime.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think it will be AS bad. I hope...
Frieza fired his planet-destroying ball in Episode 97. Namek finally blew up in 106. So 10 episodes to cover "five minutes"
Luffy's Gear Fourth runs out in Chapter 786. He returns to the battle at the end of 789. Luffy delivers the final blow in Chapter 790. Soo I imagine the 10 minute recharge will only be about 4-5 episodes. Still, that's pretty bad when it's a month of airtime.

They should be able to pad it with fights so it's not so bad though, Mingo off-screen a lot of named fighters during that stretch.

smurfx

get some go again
hyped up to see gear 4th animated. i've been wondering about rogers death. how did people know about one piece? why did they think it was a legendary treasure? did roger leak false info about it being some treasure as he was planning for his death? somebody had to of been leaking info for a long time as word got out everywhere in the world about one piece being rogers ultimate treasure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
hyped up to see gear 4th animated. i've been wondering about rogers death. how did people know about one piece? why did they think it was a legendary treasure? did roger leak false info about it being some treasure as he was planning for his death? somebody had to of been leaking info for a long time as word got out everywhere in the world about one piece being rogers ultimate treasure.

Ummm, his speech at the gallows. It was major news. One of the crowd asked him where his treasure was and he told them he left it in one piece. I guess you're referring to how the random guy knew that the KING OF THE PIRATES had some great treasure. Well, Pirates and treasure go hand in hand, and he was the KING OF THE PIRATES.

Before Roger was executed, he said "he left everything he owned in 'One Piece'", hence the name of the treasure.

I think people just assumed it was gold or jewels because that's what pirates looted for a living. It's probably going to be something else entirely.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I don't think Roger actually ever said "One Piece." My VIZ translation, while admittedly potentially suspect since it's really early in their translations and those weren't immaculate, reads, "My treasure? Why, it's right where I left it... It's yours if you can find it... but you'll have to search the whole world!"

Lookin at fan translations, don't think he ever called it One Piece there, either. I think the name arose afterwards, as the legend of his treasure grew.

Before Roger was executed, he said "he left everything he owned in 'One Piece'", hence the name of the treasure.

Definitely never said that, may be an anime invention.

One of the crowd asked him where his treasure was and he told them he left it in one piece.

That too.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't think people all over the world became pirates to go after a legendary treasure after some vague answer by roger. there had to of been rumors about roger having a legendary treasure before his death. hell even the guy who asked the question might of been in on it and knew to ask roger about it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
i don't think people all over the world became pirates to go after a legendary treasure after some vague answer by roger. there had to of been rumors about roger having a legendary treasure before his death. hell even the guy who asked the question might of been in on it and knew to ask roger about it.

Well, people know he circumnavigated the world and got to Raftel. It's possible that there had always been rumors of a treasure on Raftel, with it being the final destination in the New World, and Roger's words were the catalyst that people needed to finally search for it in earnest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

He's The King of the Pirates. A Pirate King. The four jabronis who took his place own islands and have gigantic fleets and wage war on each other and sometimes the World Government. They're rich beyond belief. Roger was better than all of them, so reasoning would lead you to believe that he was rich as fuck. Of course the reader knows that that Roger was probably hoarding wasn't material wealth but you have to look at it from the eyes of someone not in the know.

Kornflayx

It's weird, I have no anticipation for the next chapter. OP has entered the "I know it's there and that's cool, but I don't need that weekly fix anymore" phase.

Definitely never said that, may be an anime invention.
You're right, in the first volume by viz he says: "My Treasure? It's right where I left it...It's yours if you can find it...but you'll have to search the whole world!"

When is it first called by name?

On a side note, that's fucking amazing since it's speculated that the One Piece has a lot to do with the Ancient Kingdom and the secret is spread all over the world through the Ponyglyphs.

As much as I love One Piece, I have to say, watching Boruto the movie today, and seeing the series mimick the original 135 episodes of the show, it holds a special place for me. Maybe because the show is over, or not as humorous, but I got a little teary eyed with some of the moments. Love OP, but I think the humor can be exaggerated sometimes and hope we get more Robin crying in the balcony, and Zoro taking luffy's pain moments soon.

Enjoying my break from OP as well, definitely don't need the weekly fix anymore, I'm actually going back and watching the funimation dub with is surprisingly good.

smurfx

get some go again
maybe you guys are just learning that waiting isn't the end of the world as you age. i still love one piece and i'm anticipating the next chapter but i don't mind waiting.

Waiting is good. Knowing something good is going to happen in the future increases that sense of anticipation tenfold.
I grew up during a time when you had to be patient and wait for things. Not really a fan of this "instant gratification" generation. I blame the internet and streaming/binging.

Wow, I sound like an old man.

Big One

Banned
It's weird, I have no anticipation for the next chapter. OP has entered the "I know it's there and that's cool, but I don't need that weekly fix anymore" phase.
You say that now but you won't be saying it once Oda drops another bomb like chapter 801. I know the feeling, but man Oda knows how to reel me in.

Where's that post with the imaginary episode names for the Haki recharge arc?

That cracked me up.
Oh God. I can already picture this dragging on forever in the anime.

"Episode 742: Panic! Rush To Stop The Birdcage!"
"Episode 743: Give It All You've Got! Everyone vs The Birdcage!"
"Episode 744: A Helping Hand! Admiral Fujitora Arrives to Slow Down The Birdcage!"
"Episode 745: It Stopped For A Second! Keep Pushing The Birdcage!"
"Episode 746: Nothing Happens! Did I Forget To Mention That The Birdcage Is Still Up?!"

Just shoot me.

It seemed that a lot of people struggled with Dressrosa because it was a huge mixed grab bag. If for some reason you decide you hate Rebecca, Tontattas or Cavendish or something then you are going to get frustrated a lot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It seemed that a lot of people struggled with Dressrosa because it was a huge mixed grab bag. If for some reason you decide you hate Rebecca, Tontattas or Cavendish or something then you are going to get frustrated a lot.

I love all three.

This reminds me though that I've once again built a sizable backlog on the anime.

Golly, 13 episodes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I've had no issues with any of them. Hell, I liked Cavendish a lot more after seeing his Hakuba side. Plus his insane bit of logic when Luffy asked him to help Law and Robin and he somehow thought "Straw Hat is my fan". That was great.

I do think the hate for Rebecca is overblown. It seems to be a common thing with One Piece's 16 year old princesses (Vivi, Shirahoshi and Rebecca). Adored in Japan, despised in the West.

As for the Tontatta Dwarves, no issues with them. It's not like they're Ewoks who were created solely for marketing toys.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've had no issues with any of them. Hell, I liked Cavendish a lot more after seeing his Hakuba side. Plus his insane bit of logic when Luffy asked him to help Law and Robin and he somehow thought "Straw Hat is my fan". That was great.

I do think the hate for Rebecca is overblown. It seems to be a common thing with One Piece's 16 year old princesses (Vivi, Shirahoshi and Rebecca). Adored in Japan, despised in the West.

As for the Tontatta Dwarves, no issues with them. It's not like they're Ewoks who were created solely for marketing toys.

Tontatta's could be a great toy though. Basically trolls except their hair comes out of their butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom