• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
I didn't even know this week was a double issue xD

yep

CDP2rqrVIAAxjax.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol

.....yeah thats my reaction to it...lol.

Edit:

I think i am disappointed :-/

Harmen

Awesome chapter. He looks odd but in a likable way. I also think it makes some sense in the world of OP, which I like. No flaming Luffy or a mere combination of 2 and 3. And it requires haki, so there is a clear reason why he did not come up with something like this prior to the timeskip. Not sure if I like Luffy being able to fly though. But I guess this is conveniënt for future battles on/above sea.

I wonder if there will be a big disadvantage/time limit like 3 had before. And I wonder how gear 2 and 3 will fit in after this (maybe Luffy further mastering those as well along the road?). Alltough gear 2 is often more like an isolated attack and his base state nowadays.

Oh, and Doffy will probably also have some secret move still. I do not think the will be wrecked from this point on, on top of this initial pummeling.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Dofla getting rocked! The move is definitely weird looking, but I think I like it. Need to see some more of it. Can't wait to see a G3 + G4 combination technique. Would probably be fucking bonkers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh, and Doffy will probably also have some secret move still. I do not think the will be wrecked from this point on, on top of this initial pummeling.

Yeah im looking forward to it - dont have a big issue with Gear 4 even if the look is kinda overwhelming but DoFla better come back in some kind of way otherwise it wouldnt feel right.

pelicansurf

From the looks of it G2 + G3 = G4.
Yeah, just read a different translation now and it's probably the case considering he's not deflating. I just meant combining the current G4 with bone balloon for a giant-ass retractable haki fist of doom.

Kworn

Banned
It is kind of weird how he is all jumping about like a ballon and doffy is craking up at how unstable he is standing.

Gear 4 is a combination of so many theories:

-Something to do with muscle
-Springs like Belamy
-Full body Haki
-Nightmare luffy

So cool

pelicansurf

Maybe it's just "Rifle Mode". His limbs are constantly spinning a la Sanji and maybe even fire or whatever too, and everything hurts like hell. He can be way more jump-y/dodge-y/random (like the spring dude he just beat) and the average attack will have the potency of a rifle attack even at close range. Add Haki/G3 combos into the mix for the lulz. The negatives are pretty obvious as well.

You're welcome, Oda.

My original guess. Although technically not correct, I think I got pretty close. Just replace spinning with retractable and I think I'm on the money. I'm pseudo-proud of myself.

Frog-fu

Banned
I know this chapter was meant to hype up G4, but I think Doffy came out looking even stronger. He has taken several direct hits in a row and is still standing. Dude is durable as fuck and I don't think he used Armament Haki once to shield himself.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I know this chapter was meant to hype up G4, but I think Doffy came out looking even stronger. He has taken several direct hits in a row and is still standing. Dude is durable as fuck and I don't think he used Armament Haki once to shield himself.

He did, just pay closer attention to when he crashes through the building.

pelicansurf

I think it's due to g4's randomness. He haki'd himself up for the Kong punch, but he's been taken off-guard for the other two major hits... Which kind of reinforces your point, lol.

Harmen

From the looks of it G2 + G3 = G4.

I think not. Luffy uses his muscles in combination with compressed air and his mastering of CoA now. Gear 3 is inflated bones, creating a hard/tight surface. I think there is room for combination. Same goes for 2 actually, where he quickens his bloodflow.

Metal B

The gimmick of Gear 4 looks like to be, that Luffy uses Haki to temporary harden parts of his rubber body. With it he can create layers of harden rubber to power-up attacks or change directions of his moves. It's also great, that with Luffy constant bouncing, he still has a comedic element. I guess, that this is also the weak point of it. If Luffy actually gets hit, he properly has a hard time, getting back the control of his body and not bouncing around everywhere.

Gear 4 looks like a combination of a lot of thinks Luffy encounters and had an impact on him. He already used, moves based on animals ever since his time on the island. It already looked like Skull Island with all it giants animals, why not have him reference King Kong. Then we have Nightmare Luffy, which is clearly referenced, and of course Bellamy, whose main propose in the arc was properly to show Luffy's inspiration for the gear. Also Luffy looks a lot like a robot, which he finds awesome.

It's also great, that Luffy get his rubber-skin advantage back, since Haki negates itself.

Nibel

At first I was disappointed at the design, but it makes sense: what we are basically seeing is not Monkey D. Luffy but Gorilla D. Luffy and if you see it as an evolution, it kinda makes sense.

And yeah, totally blown away by the power he has in that form, and it makes sense he's as strong as he is. Being able to push his limbs into his insides and launching punches like rockets is insane, and jesus christ he fucking wrecks the entire island. Crazy shit.
KuGsj.gif

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
At first I was disappointed at the design, but it makes sense: what we are basically seeing is not Monkey D. Luffy but Gorilla D. Luffy and if you see it as an evolution, it kinda makes sense.

And yeah, totally blown away by the power he has in that form, and it makes sense he's as strong as he is. Being able to push his limbs into his insides and launching punches like rockets is insane, and jesus christ he fucking wrecks the entire island. Crazy shit.
KuGsj.gif

Didn't look at it like that, pretty cool!

NZerker12

Damn this was a great chapter.

Gear 4th reminds me alot of nightmare luffy, with the larger body and the ability to stretch. The design definitely Oda as well.

I think one of the drawbacks to gear 4th may be the strain caused to the muscles and luffy may have a timelimit for it.

Kreed

One Piece 784:

So Oda really did go with a Nightmare Luffy form (the zombie spread was a nice touch). But the form's abilities are definitely more inventive than anything else discussed online (using Haki vs the vulcanized rubber theory accomplishes the same thing I think).

I'm sure Doflamingo still has one more trick to keep this from being a total beat down (plus some stalling is needed to show Zoro slowing down Bird Cage), but seeing all the moves Luffy pulled out in this chapter I'm expecting Luffy to continue revealing abilities until the fight is over.

Kater

Banned
Monkey D Luffy becomes Gorilla D Luffy. Oda, you crazy man. :D Love it.

tumblr_nn8ysdfQnQ1u6www0o3_1280.jpg

Can't wait to see him punch Blackbeard's face with that Retract Arm Punch of his.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Luffy Kong OMG I knew nobody thought that was going to be the move lmao.

I hope gear 5 is growing a tail aka a fifth limb to further whup enemy ass

edit: I take it back Kreed called it

TheChits

That was infinitely more amazing than anything I had imagined. I fucking love how simultaneously goofy and badass One Piece can be
KuGsj.gif

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Cool shit but I'm not a fan of the whole black armament thing. No one else's skin turned black when Haki was used prior to the time skip. It just looks weird.

Metal B

Cool shit but I'm not a fan of the whole black armament thing. No one else's skin turned black when Haki was used prior to the time skip. It just looks weird.
He properly added it as the visual hint, so that readers can see, if a person uses Haki. You also could spin your argument around. It always looked like this, the reader only can see it now, because Luffy only understood Haki after the timeskip.

Pretty great chapter. That beatdown and gear fourth. Oddly this form reminds me of those Titan things from AoT and of those Japanese thunder gods too.

Guessing he took of his sandals off cause they probably were weighing him down.

Nibel

I guess this is somewhat correct. As he yells muscle balloon after he inflates his arm in the beginning of the chapter.
Do we still need to spoiler tag?

Yeah, guess that I called that, haha. :D

Do you guys expect him to pull out Gear 5 like last time with Gear 3?

Doffy is just gonna keep "healing" himself until Luffy does something freakin' insane to KO him, so yeah he's definitely not anywhere near done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom