• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

So Zoro will totaly cut the bird cage down like it's nothing. I've been saying this for months, can't wait to be proved right lol.

Cool shit but I'm not a fan of the whole black armament thing. No one else's skin turned black when Haki was used prior to the time skip. It just looks weird.
Yea me either, I liked it when Rayleigh demoed it on Amazon Lily and it was just an invisible wall and "energy sparks" would leave his hands on contact. I don't get why the users hands/legs/body have to turn black instead of just having visuals side-effects (like the energy leaving rayleigh hands) when opponents contact. The black hands stuff just look silly to me and is one of the only things I don't care for in One Piece. Makes it feel very cartoony to me.

Also, I'm expected Gear 5 to be very real now. and will be the "cooler" version of Luffy and maybe his final transformation. This form seems to be mostly about Power, although it has a lot of utility and variety, still is different ways to smack the crap out of you. I think there will be a SSJ version of Luffy where he is pretty balanced in all things or that goes back to speed/strong one-hit attacks. I guess he could just change rapidly between all 4 gears too.

Grexeno

Yea me either, I liked it when Rayleigh demoed it on Amazon Lily and it was just an invisible wall and "energy sparks" would leave his hands on contact. I don't get why the users hands/legs/body have to turn black instead of just having visuals side-effects (like the energy leaving rayleigh hands) when opponents contact. The black hands stuff just look silly to me and is one of the only things I don't care for in One Piece. Makes it feel very cartoony to me.
When a lot of shit is happening on screen, "energy sparks" just don't cut it as a visual cue to show someone is using Armament Haki. Having the body turn black was a needed change.

When a lot of shit is happening on screen, "energy sparks" just don't cut it as a visual cue to show someone is using Armament Haki. Having the body turn black was a needed change.
yeah but it looks much cooler IMO. Now everyone is just turning into metallic beings with their attacks?

I dunno, sometimes it looks kinda bad ass, like in one of the movies when he fought the former marine, Z. Shirts off with metal fist etc...But full body haki looks kinda lame to me.

I don't think the black is just a visual queue, unless the "Z" film is considered inaccurate in regards to its usage of Haki:

"It was stated that all Marines with a rank of Vice Admiral and above can use Haki,[3] so Zephyr could also use this ability. He mastered Busoshoku Haki at the age of 34, allowing him to coat himself with it and turn his arms black for much more devastating strikes and defenses, which earned him the nickname "Black Arm"."

demidar

Agreed. It makes the depiction much more explicit because sometimes there's too much shit going on in the panels.

Anyway, I like that Gear Fourth is kinda stupid, it fits Luffy's character.

Kreed

In addition, with Rayleigh it was easier to understand he was using Haki since he wasn't a Devil Fruit user (which also made him a good introduction to different forms of Haki). With Devil Fruit users like Doflamingo using Haki, without the clear visual cue people could confuse Haki abilities with Devil Fruit abilities.

I don't think the black is just a visual queue, unless the "Z" film is considered inaccurate in regards to its usage of Haki:

"It was stated that all Marines with a rank of Vice Admiral and above can use Haki,[3] so Zephyr could also use this ability. He mastered Busoshoku Haki at the age of 34, allowing him to coat himself with it and turn his arms black for much more devastating strikes and defenses, which earned him the nickname "Black Arm"."

It's just a visual cue. Plenty of people have used that very same haki in the past, and they didn't turn black when they used it.

Also with all these discussions of using haki turning you black: whatyearisit.meme ;b

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Also, I'm expected Gear 5 to be very real now. and will be the "cooler" version of Luffy and maybe his final transformation. This form seems to be mostly about Power, although it has a lot of utility and variety, still is different ways to smack the crap out of you. I think there will be a SSJ version of Luffy where he is pretty balanced in all things or that goes back to speed/strong one-hit attacks. I guess he could just change rapidly between all 4 gears too.

Ugh.... Sounds awful.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Daaaamn. That was awesome.
He's really taking use of his rubber body. Even deflecting sharp blows now (I'm assuming that kick from Doflamingo was encased in his string).

Now to wait another two weeks. Though this time it's not Oda's fault. DAMN YOU GOLDENWEEK!

... I guess I could go read that new Naruto thing about his son Burrito.

Ugh.... Sounds awful.
Many thought another Gears would be awful. lol...

Actually, I'm not sure Gear 4 is just this transformation. Luffy could theoretically alter his muscles even more. And I don't think Luffy will ever be glowing energy or anything, but "power" isn't a technique that will deal with everyone. Gear 5 could just be him going quickly between Gears, or he might be capable of that now.

Daaaamn. That was awesome.
He's really taking use of his rubber body. Even deflecting sharp blows now (I'm assuming that kick from Doflamingo was encased in his string).

Now to wait another two weeks. Though this time it's not Oda's fault. DAMN YOU GOLDENWEEK!

... I guess I could go read that new Naruto thing about his son Burrito.
I thought his name was Bolt.

Also, I think Naruto should have done this a while ago and "reset" to the kids in the school again. Naruto 1-135 is so much better than just about everything that happened in Shippuden it's not even funny. All the power level stuff just got too ridiculous at the end and even the last fisticuffs with Naruto/Sasuke felt forced. Loved the show as much as One Piece early on, lost its thunder after the time skip IMO.

Bravoexo

I wonder how much of Donflamingo's power will return if he releases the birdcage? He's not serious in this fight at all.. scary that he's also a tactician in fighting. (poking at Luffy's new attacks and state and not losing focus)

Love the goofyness / silliness of this Gear, fits luffy perfectly. Also, Haki gives him like some patterns or tattoos in his body. They kind of resembled Law's in some panels.

cntr

Banned
Let me gush a bit about how Oda's really good at this.

Think of Super Saiyan, which is a straight power-up with some fancy effects, and additional developments (Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3...) are not very different from each other, they're straight up power level boosts. Most DB-ian shounen is like this.

But in One Piece, Luffy only has one straight power boost -- Gear Second. Gear Third and now Gear Fourth are not pure power boosts, but alternative forms that have their own styles and quirks.

And the Gears aren't pulled from nowhere, either, they all make sense within One Piece's cartoon physics.

I'm sure some people are disappointed that Luffy didn't become a "badass" flaming man or whatever, but I strongly prefer what we got. It's fun this way.

Here's hoping more new shounen follow One Piece's lead in inventiveness!
Boku no Hero's already in that vein.

Armament Haki being black is probably something the editors asked oda to do for the anime. Remember that gear 2nd doesn't have that red tint in the manga, only smoke.

MCD

Love the look of his wild eyes. GODDAMN LUFFY

GODDAMN ODA

No other mangaka can make me this excited with every page

and GODDAMN ZORO ISN"T EVEN DONE

Maedhros

I like this form, really. It looks cool.

I just don't really like the pace of the manga anymore. I still like the manga, just not as much as before.

I think some people forget that the reason Oda gave Luffy rubber powers in the first place was because he wanted his hero to have a power that was kind of goofy

Kain

That was great. I loved it when he started floating around xD

Even if he becomes a powerhouse Luffy will always be Luffy.

qazqaNii

I can't fucking believe this awesomeness, hopefully he flamingo won't make a spectacular comeback and screw luffy almost to death.

daveo42

Banned
Holy fuck that was awesome. I had the same initial reaction as Doflamingo in "wtf is this?" but technique and him adjusting Gear 3rd to be more powerful along with added armament haki works surprisingly well. Fan-fuckin'-tastic job Oda. I actually teared up a bit at just how amazing this chapter was.

And Zoro isn't done yet? Hot damn Oda!

MCD

I think some people forget that the reason Oda gave Luffy rubber powers in the first place was because he wanted his hero to have a power that was kind of goofy

yup. and it's such a goofy power that even doffy is having trouble comprehending how the fuck did blast his ass off.

Yasadril

first i thought gear 4 looked weird but after thinking about it some more, it fits with luffy's silly attitude plus hes new moves are badass. but how does he fly? i don't get it

jbug617

Banned
I really like that they took the fight to the people.

Doffy still has 1 more move left in him. I think Luffy will overpower it though.

Minor detail I noticed: when doflamingo kicked luffy's side (the hamstring) he remarked that Luffy was still rubber, even in armament. In response, Luffy did his classic "bullets won't hurt me because I'm rubber" pose.

These are the details people.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Minor detail I noticed: when doflamingo kicked luffy's side (the hamstring) he remarked that Luffy was still rubber, even in armament. In response, Luffy did his classic "bullets won't hurt me because I'm rubber" pose.

These are the details people.
He has become immune to blunt haki attacks now, which is super OP.

I don't think it was very minor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom