• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

I've seen comments that there might be a different variation of Gear 4th.

First, Bound Man......and then maybe a "Slim Man" mode? That would be be badass.

Not sure I want a slim, super-powered luffy. I'm quite happy with his gear 4th. Moving forward, it'd be nice if he combined all 3 gears, like he was combining the first two. No need to call it gear 5th, I don't think. Just add jet-gigant before each move.

I wonder if 4th has a side-effect like 3rd did, initially.

Dugna

Man by the end Luffy will probably find some way to make a blade and basically do every single job of his crew in one go, combat wise that's.

tumblr_nn912ovmRx1qasb9wo1_540.gif

His moveset is completely different from Nightmare Luffy though. But over-all he definitely looks very similar, although his stomach in particular and parts of his arms look very different.

Man by the end Luffy will probably find some way to make a blade and basically do every single job of his crew in one go, combat wise that's.

Lol, nope.

I didn't expect that.

It's silly, but it works. It's such a Luffy type move. It's inventive and ridiculous at the same time.

And yeah, I also think this is just one of many Gear Fourth variatons. That he actually named it "Boundman" seems to make that clear. Even though he's still fast in this form, I feel like there's probably another one that is based on raw speed or something similar.

Oda is amazing.

GG-Duo

First reaction: aww this is really stupid-looking, I hate modern Oda designs.

Second reaction: um, wow, these moves are cool and super creative. Plane? Change punch direction in mid air? Pure Oda!

Third reaction: ahh screw it Oda has always made "ugly" art (think of how many times new readers complain about One Piece's art) that gets awesome over time. I'll embrace this.

Hype!

Lunar15

Gear Fourth is fucking crazy.

The first punch that sent Doffy soaring was one for the books.

Yeah, I really, really, really loved that panel. Doflamingo getting up and telling the guy "I'd like to ask the same damn question" is absolutely stellar.

It was a total "get wrecked" moment.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Probably would so he could make some quick jokes with Zoro or fight enemies that requires it, I mean he already has moves like Axe and such him making a literal rubber blade wouldn't be far off.

Lol, that's never gonna happen. His axe move is just him smashing things with his leg it has nothing to do with the move being like an actual axe.

Yeah, I really, really, really loved that panel. Doflamingo getting up and telling the guy "I was just wondering the same fucking thing" is absolutely stellar.

No, lie I hope Doflamingo continues to get bodied and has no trump card.

I still love that Oda refuses to give Luffy the mainstream cool and stylish power up designs, and goes with something silly and wacky design-wise.

Shows that he's still Oda. lol

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You think Luffy is stupid in fights?

No?

I don't think him having a move with axe in the name is comparable to him turning a part of of his rubber body into a blade.

I mean really, a rubber blade? C'mon...

GG-Duo

I still love that Oda refuses to give Luffy the mainstream cool and stylish power up designs, and goes with something silly and wacky design-wise.

Shows that he's still Oda. lol

Exactly, and I love Oda for it. It keeps things fresh.

And it's not like One Piece is devoid of slick and stylish moments, but they're usually reserved for Zoro.

Kreed

Not only does Gear 4th look similar to Nightmare Luffy and there's 784 = 487 thing, but the color spread is full of Thriller Bark-esque zombies.

The Nightmare Luffy form was pretty popular, so it was just a matter of time before Oda came up with a way to incorporate it permanently within the bounds of the story. In addition within the story itself, Luffy probably wanted Gear 4 to look like Nightmare Luffy because of how cool the form was in his mind vs having to look that way for Gear 4 to work.

hohoXD123

Yeah, guess that I called that, haha. :D

Do you guys expect him to pull out Gear 5 like last time with Gear 3?

Na, he says "Gear 4th Bounce man (Or Bound man?)" so maybe unlike Gear 2nd or 3rd, Gear 4th has different forms which are similar enough to still be Gear 4th but not different enough to be another gear, don't know how that would work though.

It's funny how previous antagonists underestimate the gears based on looks.

Blueno underestimated Gear 2nd. Got rekt.
Lucci underestimated Gear 3rd. Got knocked through a building.
Doffy underestimated Gear 4th. Got blown away.

The Nightmare Luffy form was pretty popular, so it was just a matter of time before Oda came up with a way to incorporate it permanently within the bounds of the story. In addition within the story itself, Luffy probably wanted Gear 4 to look like Nightmare Luffy because of how cool the form was in his mind vs having to look that way for Gear 4 to work.

Was Nightmare Luffy that popular? I didn't assume that a lot of fans clung onto it that much.

hohoXD123

It was so goofy yet so awesome, good to get some clarification on what was going on.

And gear three was just him blowing air into his bones?

Also, what would the weakness of gear four be because I'm not really seeing it.

Maybe it's just him not being able to walk since he has to bounce everywhere. Or if it's involving his muscles he may become very fatigued/paralysed afterwards. There is probably a major downside, no reason for him to have waited this long before using it otherwise.

dabig2

Exactly, and I love Oda for it. It keeps things fresh.

And it's not like One Piece is devoid of slick and stylish moments, but they're usually reserved for Zoro.

Law has been getting quite a few of his own slick/stylish moments too these past couple years. Actually, mostly everything Law does seems to be of that nature. I love that because it further amplifies the zany antics of the SH crew, mainly Luffy :D

360pages

Law ability is far too OP to join the Straw hats. I expect someone more obscure that no one really thinks about. Like Baby 5 or something if anyone does join after this arc.

Like how everyone expected Vivi to join but we got Robin

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The other tradition is that each Grand Line crewmember is older than the last. Dolfy would have to secretly be 80.

smurfx

get some go again
Law ability is far too OP to join the Straw hats. I expect someone more obscure that no one really thinks about. Like Baby 5 or something if anyone does join after this arc.

Like how everyone expected Vivi to join but we got Robin
jimbei is still supposed to join. maybe he and wadatsumi will show up at the end of this arc and give the strawhats and law a ride to the next island. him showing up would also be important as he can negotiate with big mama if the other strawhats are captured. i still think bonney will be the next female to join.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
jimbei is still supposed to join. maybe he and wadatsumi will show up at the end of this arc and give the strawhats and law a ride to the next island. him showing up would also be important as he can negotiate with big mama if the other strawhats are captured. i still think bonney will be the next female to join.

I really don't want Jinbei joining. I want someone completely new from one of the islands they visit.

360pages

I actually wouldn't mind that too much. Since Jimbei has been in about 3 arcs. (Impel Down, MarineFord and Fishman Island)

Though I wouldn't mind another female, a Fishman would be cool too. I love Law, but he just would feel too obvious for a main stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom