• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I think I've come up with the best way to describe Toei.

They're the Ubisoft of anime. So right now, they're working on 4 series, the new DBZ Frieza movie, undoubtedly working on a new One Piece movie since Film Z is a little over 2 years old.

The production schedule must be an absolute mess.

A good majority of animation fuckups can be attributed to time constraints. Some anime are literally still being worked on the week it airs. Considering One Piece's schedule has been constant non-stop for the past fifteen years as well as being a weekly show, those animators are probably working to the wire just barely managing to finish each episode before it airs. Again, three year breaks between 25-75 episode series that adapts entire arcs is preferable to what One Piece's schedule is currently.
Like I said, production probably needs to be completely reconsidered for One Piece, but it never will.

A lot of the action scenes also suffer from being adaptations. The fight scenes work super well on panel but a lot of the times either too much or not enough creative license is taken making the fight scenes lose impact. Luffy vs. Lucci is one of my favorite fights in any manga but its animated counterpart is pretty 'meh'.

360pages

Yeah, time is a big deal as well. Remember, One Piece NEEDS to be a weekly thing, they don't really get a lot of breaks and they probably just finished the Frieza movie like last month.

Squishy3

They're working on more than four series.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/

Toei is one of the bigger animation companies that have their plates full every year, which leads to sloppy schedules and production mishaps.
I was just going off of what was on wikipedia as currently airing.

On the topic of toei pls, I guess this is from the latest episode of World Trigger? http://a.pomf.se/mnclnx.webm

It's not all bad, Elephant Gun looked relatively good, but in the latest episode just seeing Dellinger circle around to the tune of DBZ sound effects is really silly.

Why yes, yes there is.
8NXDRKA.jpg

The One Piece anime is atrocious now. Toei has fucked it up that there is no coming back for it. My advice: drop the anime ASAP (should've dropped it around episode 517ish), follow along in the manga, wait 10 years or so for One Piece anime remake.
tumblr_njzrltQ5Ze1tlzznro1_250.png

I don't understand Toei is the greatest animation company on the planet

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

On the topic of toei pls, I guess this is from the latest episode of World Trigger? http://a.pomf.se/mnclnx.webm

It's not all bad, Elephant Gun looked relatively good, but in the latest episode just seeing Dellinger circle around to the tune of DBZ sound effects is really silly.

They weren't kidding about slideshow. This is like those bad anime parodies I used to see...

360pages

I swore that was a parody...don't tell me that's real...

Dugna

Just wondering, does Doffy have high blood pressure or something? it's hard to think of a scene of his that doesn't have his bulging veins on his head showing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny, but that was one of the handful of badly drawn and badly animated episodes in this arc.

Dressrosa for the most part has been fairly consistently animated and looks good on average.

It's just that the pacing is terrible now.

I've been taking my time with it and found the beginning to be largely hilarious. Getting more towards the action end of it though and its been sort of a sleep aid recently.

What happened to Brain Point Chopper?

probably got retconned because it was dumb

Are you kidding me?

Scan was awesome. Tbh, asides from maybe the Monster point reveal, I would say that his first fight was his best, or at least among one of them. I was so disappointed when it was just dropped.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I liked it; I just meant it would've been cheesy as hell if all he had to do is become "vulnerable" for a bit, scan for weakness, and then win. All his battles would get old and quick!

I think there is a difference between brain point and his default; they just look the same (maybe).

What techs? What fighting experience?

The only thing Chopper has used in Brain Point was Scope, and even then it wouldn't have been very useful post-Skypiea. It's not a combat-based form.

Nearly all of Chopper's fighting techniques involved his other points. I'm not sure where some of you are remembering Brain Point being such an important form when it was quite the opposite.

Tuck

They competing with Trigger over shittiest animation this season or something?

pelicansurf

The only thing Chopper has used in Brain Point was Scope, and even then it wouldn't have been very useful post-Skypiea. It's not a combat-based form.

Nearly all of Chopper's fighting techniques involved his other points. I'm not sure where some of you are remembering Brain Point being such an important form when it was quite the opposite.

I was just curious since I was re-watching Alabasta and was like, oh yeah, Brain Point + Scope. He used it in order to win, once he was getting his ass beat. Pretty formulaic.

Dugna

The whole point of scope was to help him focus on a possible win situation, so yes now that he has more experience he doesn't need to use it all really. He also made his forms more situational and specialized.

Is that mentioned somewhere or just assumed?

Mostly assumed now, can't find an official statement by Oda or anything like that.

BatDan

They competing with Trigger over shittiest animation this season or something?

Trigger's terrible animation is a stylistic choice. Kill la Kill has shown they can do better, but choose to do the weird style seen in Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer for comedy.
Toei is cheap and they do not give a crap.

Dugna

Trigger's terrible animation is a stylistic choice. Kill la Kill has shown they can do better, but choose to do the weird style seen in Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer for comedy.

EDIT: Nvmd, Ninja slayer is a comedic show so it makes sense.

Also going to admit slightly, when I first watched One Piece and the subsequent binge watchings later I didn't even notice alot of the weird art of the animation. Wasn't till later and seeing people point out stuff that I really noticed, still at times I kinda zone out and enjoy things.

pelicansurf

EDIT: Nvmd, Ninja slayer is a comedic show so it makes sense.

Also going to admit slightly, when I first watched One Piece and the subsequent binge watchings later I didn't even notice alot of the weird art of the animation. Wasn't till later and seeing people point out stuff that I really noticed, still at times I kinda zone out and enjoy things.
Yeah, if one wasn't busy reading subtitles, you'd probably notice it a lot more. Glad I don't get hung up on it too much.

i really want to get into manga now.......i used to be a huge manga buff before but then i kind of switched over to american comics cause of conveniance for me...but now i kind of want to get back into it

i have watched the one piece anime periodically and want to get into manga..im not going to start from the beginning obviously.

but can someone tell me how good the characterization, battle scenes of one piece is compared to american comics...(marvel and dc)

BatDan

i really want to get into manga now.......i used to be a huge manga buff before but then i kind of switched over to american comics cause of conveniance for me...but now i kind of want to get back into it

i have watched the one piece anime periodically and want to get into manga..im not going to start from the beginning obviously.

but can someone tell me how good the characterization, battle scenes of one piece is compared to american comics...(marvel and dc)

I'd recommend starting from the beginning. The anime changes quite a few things, plus you get cover stories (which the anime only covered a couple of).
The action is fast and fluid, every punch is intense.
Characterization is fairly consistent. It helps that there's only one writer compared to DC & Marvel having way too many writers and characterization can be all over the place.

Take your time with it. It's currently at 77 volumes and still going strong.

I'd recommend starting from the beginning. The anime changes quite a few things, plus you get cover stories (which the anime only covered a couple of).
The action is fast and fluid, every punch is intense.
Characterization is fairly consistent. It helps that there's only one writer compared to DC & Marvel having way too many writers and characterization can be all over the place.

Take your time with it. It's currently at 77 volumes and still going strong.

thank you i like good battle scenes...it always seemed like manga generally portrayed better fights then american comics

You are talking about Prime Roger, Garp and Whitebeard. Garp is still one of the strongest OP characters but time has passed, we havent seen him fight serious so just assuming that he is the strongest seems a bit naive.

And hell...he might be stronger ( wouldnt surprise me), but i doubt that he would be much stronger. OP just doesnt work like that, i also dont think that Roger was much stronger than anyone else. He was just strong enough to reach Raftel and fight off enemies/marine.

based on my limited anime knowledge...would Mihawk be on the level of Roger, Whitebeard, Garp, those 3 guys you listed.. in terms of combat?

Cwarrior

The issue with toei is they put out too much anime so there spread they resource to thin.

Lol Kill la kill is cheaper then any toei show has put out in the last few years, your average one piece episode has as much animation as 2-3 kill la kill episodes, pay attention to the corner cutting,frame slideing and reused animation going on.

Lol Kill la kill is cheaper then any toei show has put out in the last few years, your average one piece episode has as much animation as 2-3 kill la kill episodes.

I think I would give the edge to Kill la Kill since characters aren't offmodel in every single shot and it lacks the magic of 30 seconds of still frames sliding up and down and right and left like with Toei

pay attention to the corner cutting,frame slideing and reused animation going on.

Toei is the most guilty of this of any animation studio. Did you watch that World Trigger .gif?

360pages

Yeah, it's probably just the times moving forward. Look at their work with Dragon Ball, despite the limited animation most of the characters were at least on model most of the time.

Even Dragon Ball Z other than a few odd episodes the characters were on Model.

It has less to do with Budget and more to do with Studio Trigger either having better animators or a better production schedule than Toei. Remember these are the same guys that worked on Gurren, plus Kill la Kill is like a 25 episode series, One Piece is 500+ going strong with no breaks.

Cwarrior

I think I would give the edge to Kill la Kill since characters aren't offmodel in every single shot and it lacks the magic of 30 seconds of still frames sliding up and down and right and left like with Toei
both have there fair share of off model but that's more art then animation, kill la kill is more abouting haveing the illisuion of animation by having the same 2 frames loop over & over for fights, even when one piece is at it's worst it's at least being animated.

grand finale fight in kill la kill looked like this
iy3CRzqzxKhBx.gif

this the climax fight in which they should of been firing on all cylinders

Now toei spends to stupid amounts of budget on the most randomess things like Smily from punkhazard is better animated then anything in kill la kill, why i don't even know.
Toei is the most guilty of this of any animation studio. Did you watch that World Trigger .gif?

Did you watch the world trigger episod it's from? it's pretty great episode can't jude it by a single gif.

360pages

Hmm, Trigger actually has really good animation when given a budget. Kill La Kill goes from having amazing budget to having laughable budget all within the same EP.

The series probably would have been better if it was cut in half in length. Because you can tell the Earlier EP of Kill La Kill is animated amazingly compared to them having a shoe string budget later on.

That being said, due to the Style of Kill La Kill, they can hide it far better with...well Style. Toei is adapting a Manga, so you have a reference when things look bad.

smurfx

get some go again
these studios have to pay for the license of whatever manga they are animating so you aren't going to get the same kinda animation budget as an original creation.

both have there fair share of off model but that's more art then animation, kill la kill is more abouting haveing the illisuion of animation by having the same 2 frames loop over & over for fights, even when one piece is at it's worst it's at least being animated.

grand finale fight in kill la kill looked like this
iy3CRzqzxKhBx.gif

this the climax fight in which they should of been firing on all cylinders

Now toei spends to stupid amounts of budget on the most randomess things like Smily from punkhazard is better animated then anything in kill la kill, why i don't even know.

Did you watch the world trigger episod it's from? it's pretty great episode can't jude it by a single gif.

Repeating frames is something DBZ abused the shit of. The difference was that DBZ had more motion in its frames than KLK.

What I'm saying is that it's just been dropped entirely. I understand that just using scope again and again would be dull, but I feel like Chopper's debut had the most stuff going on with ALL his forms (sans Monster and Horn). I mean, by Skypeia you had Chopper freaking out about fighting, but in his debut he looked like a strong fighter

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What I'm saying is that it's just been dropped entirely. I understand that just using scope again and again would be dull, but I feel like Chopper's debut had the most stuff going on with ALL his forms (sans Monster and Horn). I mean, by Skypeia you had Chopper freaking out about fighting, but in his debut he looked like a strong fighter

That's down to Oda still figuring out the character, his personality and seeing how he plays off everyone else. Due to the serialized nature he can't exactly go back and smooth that stuff over, Oda probably had an idea of what he wanted from Chopper and then it writing him Chopper's current personality steered him in this direction. Creating a character is very much like meeting someone for the first time: you may have an idea of what they're like, only for them to completely surprise you and turn out entirely different.

based on my limited anime knowledge...would Mihawk be on the level of Roger, Whitebeard, Garp, those 3 guys you listed.. in terms of combat?

I'm not sure if you're talking about their actual strength or if you're talking about how good the combat scenes are visually, but if it's the former, Mihawk is most probably not on the level of the likes of Whitebeard, but he's definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Well, since it was his debut, Oda had to show off all of his transformations. It kinda calls for it.
Scope most likely would have lost its luster as the enemies kept getting tougher and less vulnerable. It would seem a bit too convenient for his opponents to all have a "critical damage" weak spot.

And B-Dubs brought up a good point about Chopper's character still being figured out.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm not sure if you're talking about their actual strength or if you're talking about how good the combat scenes are visually, but if it's the former, Mihawk is most probably not on the level of the likes of Whitebeard, but he's definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Pretty much this, Mihawk himself more or less confirmed that he wasn't on on WB level yet.

Then again I wouldn't really ask such questions here if you haven't read the manga or aren't up to current events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom