• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm just waiting for Sanji to do something since he hasn't done anything in the time-skip yet.

He will have his bad ass moments...though i dont know if they will be directly tied to his power or battle performance like in the past. At the end of the day his goal (all blue) isnt as connected to being a strong fighter as it is with Luffy and Zoro.

Hope he gets his fight with a strong women and somehow "defeats" her without having to hit her... like Big Mom....lol.

Korosenai

Sanji is protecting the ship and keeping Ceasar safe while fighting off one of Big Moms ship... He's putting in work right now, we just can't see it

I think he means for the Strawhats, not overall, since flying is a pretty crowded ability overall.

Well, out of the Straw Hats, yeah. Sanji has been shown to be more versatile with moving in the air than anyone else.
Luffy could hover with UFO, but it was never painted as making him as maneuverable in aerial combat as Sanji has.

I'm just waiting for Sanji to do something since he hasn't done anything in the time-skip yet.

Okay, I know Sanji hasn't been doing as swell as some would hope, but.....he's done absolutely nothing? Really?

Did the memory of him fighting the Kraken, protecting the kids at Punk Hazard, and helping out G-5, and clashing with Doffy leave your mind? He's done more than Brook, Chopper and Nami have so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, out of the Straw Hats, yeah. Sanji has been shown to be more versatile with moving in the air than anyone else.
Luffy could hover with UFO, but it was never painted as making him as maneuverable in aerial combat as Sanji has.

Okay, I know Sanji hasn't been doing as swell as some would hope, but.....he's done absolutely nothing? Really?

Did the memory of him fighting the Kraken, protecting the kids at Punk Hazard, and helping out G-5, and clashing with Doffy leave everyone's mind?

People are just complaining because we haven't seen him in a while.

360pages

Did the memory of him fighting the Kraken, protecting the kids at Punk Hazard, and helping out G-5, and clashing with Doffy leave your mind? He's done more than Brook, Chopper and Nami have so far.

Doing more than Chopper and Nami isn't a huge feet though. I mean, Brook at least won his fight in this arc. No matter how small it was. I'd probably give him less shit if he wasn't supposed to be in the top 3.

Though that might simply be due to the cast getting bigger and making it harder to give everyone something to do from arc to arc.

cw_sasuke

People are just complaining because we haven't seen him in a while.
Nah, not really his performance post time skip has been lackluster compared to Luffy and Zoro. Zoro has been one shooting and intimidating his foes while not being series where Sanji seems to be the "example" guy that shows off how strong the enemy. Zoro faces an Admiral with a smile on his face while Sanji is glad to survive a couple seconds against Vergo... lol.

I love Sanji... but Oda needs to step up his game when it comes to Sanji. Hope the Big Mom encounter will have more Sanji bad ass moments.

Dugna

Sanji just needs to finally use armament haki, that's literally his only problem in fights so far. He can keep up with some of the top tier guys in speed he's just recklessly hitting shit without thinking about protecting himself.

smurfx

get some go again
Sanji just either needs to finally use armament haki or learn it, that's literally his only problem in fights so far. He can keep up with some of the top tier guys in speed he's just recklessly hitting shit without thinking about protecting himself.
sanji needs armament haki and he also needs to start using rankyaku. he isn't ever going to use a kitchen knife as a weapon but his legs can be the knife with rankyaku. what if sanji gets some shoes that has a sea stone sole? imagine him using armament haki on his shoes and using it against devil fruit users. although i don't think oda would do that.

Korosenai

Sanji just needs to finally use armament haki, that's literally his only problem in fights so far. He can keep up with some of the top tier guys in speed he's just recklessly hitting shit without thinking about protecting himself.
Did he use armament haki when he kicked Doflamingo?

cw_sasuke

Did he use armament haki when he kicked Doflamingo?
I don't think it would have changed much anyway, power wise Sanji just can't compete with these guys. He should better focus on what he is already good and aim for more speed focused attacks. He can't tank as many hits as Zoro and Luffy so his first priority should be not to get hit against future enemies....direct confrontation hasn't been successful for him so far.

Phew, finally caught up and finished all the episodes out so far in the anime.

Got back into One Piece a while ago (a few years back I had finished Alabasta and stopped). Anyways, I now that I've caught up I'm thinking of maybe reading the manga.
How far ahead is the manga?
What chapter/volume of One Piece is the anime currently at?
Are there any major changes in the anime from the manga?

Phew, finally caught up and finished all the episodes out so far in the anime.

Got back into One Piece a while ago (a few years back I had finished Alabasta and stopped). Anyways, I now that I've caught up I'm thinking of maybe reading the manga.
How far ahead is the manga?
What chapter/volume of One Piece is the anime currently at?

Manga is better anyways. Current Chapter is 784. Last anime episode covered chapter 752

Squishy3

sanji needs armament haki and he also needs to start using rankyaku. he isn't ever going to use a kitchen knife as a weapon but his legs can be the knife with rankyaku. what if sanji gets some shoes that has a sea stone sole? imagine him using armament haki on his shoes and using it against devil fruit users. although i don't think oda would do that.
Sanji can use armament haki, he just hasn't displayed it in the series at all yet.

Luffy said he had haki when they were talking with Law about who all could fight Caesar, and while he didn't mention armament haki specifically, but in the context he obviously meant armament.

Tuck

Woo all caught up. Getting close to the end of the arc, I'll follow the manga till then. Then a couple years without One Piece (Assuming I can resist) =(

Well, nothing "major", only a crapton of filler; both entire arcs and now just about every episode has filler in it. Oh and of course at lot of things have been censored and toned down in the anime, but it's nothing that'd confuse you going over to the manga.

Manga is better-paced, has better art, no filler, no drawn-out scenes and no awkward sound effects so I'd say go for it.

Jigolo

Why yes, yes there is.

8NXDRKA.jpg

The One Piece anime is atrocious now. Toei has fucked it up that there is no coming back for it. My advice: drop the anime ASAP (should've dropped it around episode 517ish), follow along in the manga, wait 10 years or so for One Piece anime remake.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why yes, yes there is.

8NXDRKA.jpg

The One Piece anime is atrocious now. Toei has fucked it up that there is no coming back for it. My advice: drop the anime ASAP (should've dropped it around episode 517ish), follow along in the manga, wait 10 years or so for One Piece anime remake.

Wow! That is terrible!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Why yes, yes there is.

8NXDRKA.jpg

The fuck!? Looks horrendous

One piece deserves a better anime.

It's a shame the OVA market has declined so much, since each one piece arc released as an ova with the same VAs and music would be a dream.

360pages

It seems the longer the series the more the drop in quality. Toei usually starts off strong. Hell, I still like how most of the Dragon Ball Z anime looks most of the time.

However with long series animators tend to get really lazy.

It seems the longer the series the more the drop in quality. Toei usually starts off strong. Hell, I still like how most of the Dragon Ball Z anime looks most of the time.

However with long series animators tend to get really lazy.

Meh, the anime always had its ups and downs, no? And I think a lot of animators have been switched over the years.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Of course the animation is going to be terrible in a lot of places, it has around 650 episodes. It's impossible to have a high quality every single episode.

I'm not condoning it as I don't even watch the anime for these reasons but I'm not shocked when there's a huge dropoff like that.

Magwik

Banned
The animation quality would improve tremendously if Toei allowed the show to take like a 3 month hiatus every year. Allows the manga to get ahead without slowing the show down with filler and gives more time to properly animate the show
But it has to air nearly every week so never happening

Why yes, yes there is.

8NXDRKA.jpg

The anime is shit nowadays, but it's pretty disingenuous to use a fan-colored imagein the comparison (Unless it's from the official color edition, although in that case the official version messed up Fujitora's colors)

The anime is shit nowadays, but it's pretty disingenuous to use a fan-colored imagein the comparison (Unless it's from the official color edition, although in that case the official version messed up Fujitora's colors)

The black/white original manga looks even better than the colored manga anyhow imo, so that wouldn't change much anyhow.

SalvaPot

Do anyone knows if they actually fix the animation with the Blu-Ray releases? Or is it still shit there?

My main problem with the anime is the pace, I really don´t care that much about the art, but I have to agree.. it is hideous.

I like the way Madhouse animates long running Shonen, like their Ippo adaptation. They have three year gaps in between the different series which adapts a chunk of the manga. For example The Fighting in 2000, the two OVAs in 2003, New Challenger in 2009 and Rising in 2013. Why couldn't Madhouse be the ones to adapt One Piece? Guess we're stuck with Toei.

360pages

That being said, Toei is a hell of a lot better than studio pierrot. At least Toei knows how bump the animation up in important scenes. Even important scenes Stuido Pierrot messes up.

Squishy3

I like the way Madhouse animates long running Shonen, like their Ippo adaptation. They have three year gaps in between the different series which adapts a chunk of the manga. For example The Fighting in 2000, the two OVAs in 2003, New Challenger in 2009 and Rising in 2013. Why couldn't Madhouse be the ones to adapt One Piece? Guess we're stuck with Toei.
I mean almost any studio other than Toei could do a better job than Toei.

Sailor Moon Crystal is utterly awful and shouldn't have suffered the kinds of quality issues One Piece does, yet it did, although I think they fixed some of the problems in the BDs. There's something wrong with Toei's production pipeline, it can't be budget because One Piece just absolutely rakes in the cash and there's no way they aren't shelling out the money.

Grexeno

I mean almost any studio other than Toei could do a better job than Toei.

Sailor Moon Crystal is utterly awful and shouldn't have suffered the kinds of quality issues One Piece does, yet it did, although I think they fixed some of the problems in the BDs. There's something wrong with Toei's production pipeline, it can't be budget because One Piece just absolutely rakes in the cash and there's no way they aren't shelling out the money.
The problem with Toei is that they just don't give a fuck, especially with sure-thing properties that will make money no matter what.

Funny, but that was one of the handful of badly drawn and badly animated episodes in this arc.

Dressrosa for the most part has been fairly consistently animated and looks good on average.

It's just that the pacing is terrible now.

A good majority of animation fuckups can be attributed to time constraints. Some anime are literally still being worked on the week it airs. Considering One Piece's schedule has been constant non-stop for the past fifteen years as well as being a weekly show, those animators are probably working to the wire just barely managing to finish each episode before it airs. Again, three year breaks between 25-75 episode series that adapts entire arcs is preferable to what One Piece's schedule is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom