• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Big Mom just wants the Germa's weaponry, she wants the people AND the weaponry, package deal. "Add their military might to my own." Weddings are how she exerts dominance on external crews, by making them part of her family. Judge probably doesn't really appreciate what he's getting in to.
Even then, I don't see how the wedding would make her exert dominance on the Vinsmokes if Sanji isn't one of them.

Edit: sorry for double post

I take back my hopes that one of the Vinsmokes will be sympathetic.

I hope they all get rekt.
Oddly, I think Reiju is still mysterious, she is always smiling for some reason. Saving Luffy and letting them go knowing their intentions, testing Sanji's loyalty on last week's chapter and now she was shoving compliments on him for his strength. She tricked him this chapter as her father wanted but I wouldn't be surprised if she changes sides later.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Even then, I don't see how the wedding would make her exert dominance on the Vinsmokes if Sanji isn't one of them.

Well I think in practice, she can exert dominance on anybody, wedding or not. She's Big Mom, she's a Yonkou. The wedding is more of a formality, a clear "you are now mine, don't fuck around."

But she's also crazy, ya know. Much of this is due to her eccentricities I am sure.

Well I think in practice, she can exert dominance on anybody, wedding or not. She's Big Mom, she's a Yonkou. The wedding is more of a formality, a clear "you are now mine, don't fuck around."

But she's also crazy, ya know. Much of this is due to her eccentricities I am sure.
Exactly, it's pure formality, so only crazyness would explain this obsession in this particular case.

smurfx

get some go again
pretty boring chapter. i really don't care about sanji's family. his back story is kinda boring as well. also reileigh was able to take off the cuffs with no problems so luffy should be able to do the same.

daveo42

Banned
I'll accept this outcome actually lol. Seems pretty plausible actually. Hell throw in the brothers and sister as well. The father must be defeated tho

Nah, I think they'll all catch a taste of what Sanji's got cooking for them, at least based on Sanji's comments that he hoped his family would have changed at least a little in the time he was gone, but realizes that nothing has. Regardless of what we've seen from the sister so far, I'd lump her in with the lot as well.

RomanceDawn

Ok first things first. Unless the cleaners and artists redrew something wrong this is the FIRST time we see both of Sanji's eyes at the exact same time. Pretty certain I'm looking at it properly while he is getting pummeled on the ground.

Pretty fascinating look into Sanji's life and there is promise of much more. I'm pretty certain we'll get full chapters on the subject. Something I just noticed, Luffy, Sanji and Zoro all have something in common when it comes to their child hood, they could never best their rivals/siblings. Luffy could never beat Ace or Sabo, Zoro could never beat Kuina, Sanji apparently could never beat his 4 siblings. Pretty cool parallel right? I wonder if that happened by accident or if Oda was conscious to it?

Thank dog we finally have another confirmation that Sanji uses CoA and thank dog again that it was against a bladed weapon. Too bad due to Sanji's choice of dress we will never really know if he's using it or not with out the enemy being a logia or specifically commenting on it. I wasn't to big on Judge's design but with this chapter and seeing him using Sanji's techniques with tech he's grown on me. He's got his own version of Sky Walk and Diable Jambe only they come from man made hardware instead of physical skill and training. I like it. Seeing Sanji taking that first hit and being thrown to the ground reminds me of the time he took the hit from Kurobi, just lying there, not really hurt, just like "ugh, I don't feel like it today." It's too soon for both characters to go all out but they both looked good I'd say. Sanji's too much of a good guy for attacking innocent human shields, at least for now. It was a good way for Oda to make him lose without really losing face.

So how kong-ship-bananas would Sanji have gone if that female soldier made herself into Judge's wall/pin cushion?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So how kong-ship-bananas would Sanji have gone if that female soldier made herself into Judge's wall/pin cushion?

Sanji would have gone BEYOND HAM had that happened.

There's going to be an interesting dynamic at play in this arc with Sanji in that in order to beat his dad and family with the ease we know he can, he's got to neutralize their human wall. That basically means he's got to get the army on his side somehow so he can have a clean fight.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
funny thing is,with the amount of damage explosions usually do in onepiece to seasoned fighters...sanji should not even feel an explosion coming from such small devices,let alone have his hands blown off
Have we even seen explosions used against anyone except Whitebeard and Luffy? (Still have no idea how he survived that gas explosion from usopp)

TTOOLL

I think Sanji will "free" the Germa army and they will follow him instead, but in a different manner, of course.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I don't get why they need a wedding too. Just make a contract. The Vinsmokes are giving Big Mom a "stranger" (as Sanji isnt dear to them) so she is basically on a disavantage here.
She also wants to teach luffy a lesson for challenging her.

As others have pointed out, I can definitely see Sanji getting the Germa army to follow him especially since they've seen how strong he is. I'm guessing we're either gonna see a rematch with his father or a fight with his eldest brother consideringhe mainly lost this fight due to the human wall. Also, it's cool to see Sanji using armament Haki.

I think there's a reason Sanji started cooking out if the blue. Possibly his mom or maternal figure taught him.

The bomb is a good plot device to keep Sanji obedient on the island for now and also make Big Mom a much more important antagonist for Luffy to fight.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As others have pointed out, I can definitely see Sanji getting the Germa army to follow him especially since they've seen how strong he is. I'm guessing we're either gonna see a rematch with his father or a fight with his eldest brother consideringhe mainly lost this fight due to the human wall. Also, it's cool to see Sanji using armament Haki.

I think there's a reason Sanji started cooking out if the blue. Possibly his mom or maternal figure taught him.

The bomb is a good plot device to keep Sanji obedient on the island for now and also make Big Mom a much more important antagonist for Luffy to fight.

If it weren't for the bomb then Sanji could likely escape on his own. It's also one of about a dozen things that puts Luffy on a crash course with Big Mom. There's no way this arc ends without the two of them going at it at least once.

That could really make him the most troublesome Straw Hat in regards to the Marines. You know, the way Sanji threatened Kuma with that.
The prophet has spoke it! Sanji 2nd highest bounty on the crew incoming

With all this advanced tech I bet Franky's going to be sorry he went to Wano instead.
Was just thinking that usopp as well. It's all good Franky said he was building something for kaido so he has a plan

And here I was assuming Judge had some shred of love towards Sanji, but nope. He's a total dick.
The entire family are dicks, including Reiju. (how dare she laugh at her younger brother getting bullied like that.)

There was no way Sanji or Judge were going to win this fight, but at least it was left inconclusive and Sanji seemed more annoyed than injured.

Ray Down

Banned
And here I was assuming Judge had some shred of love towards Sanji, but nope. He's a total dick.
The entire family are dicks, including Reiju. (how dare she laugh at her younger brother getting bullied like that.)

There was no way Sanji or Judge were going to win this fight, but at least it was left inconclusive and Sanji seemed more annoyed than injured.

Yep, I remember reading some posts on different sights how the Vinsmokes won't be the villains lol.

This chapter proves there dicks just like Nobles and Sanji is one of the few good ones like Corazon.

I have a feeling Daddy Vinesmoke is going to be betrayed but the oldest son and company

that likely Germa is playing along pretending to listen to the Father but the oldest brother is really in charge

he is likely waaaaaaaaay stronger too

a betrayal is in the midst

Yep, I remember reading some posts on different sights how the Vinsmokes won't be the villains lol.

This chapter proves there dicks just like Nobles and Sanji is one of the few good ones like Corazon.

I can possibly give the kids some leeway since they were...bratty kids, and their father just let them go wild on Sanji without any repercussions and instilled in their minds that he was useless.

We still haven't seen how badly his brothers treat him now on screen just yet.

I can possibly give the kids some leeway since they were...bratty kids, and their father just let them go wild on Sanji without any repercussions and instilled in their minds that he was useless.

We still haven't seen how badly his brothers treat him now on screen just yet.
I imagine they'll still try and pick with him, seeing as how that's probably what yonji made the mistake of doing thinking he was still weak

KageZero

So the brothers are shit, and the father owned the diable jambe (like Vergo did in PH).

It's time for a powerup then.

... Nowhere was it implied that sanji is weaker then vergo and especially not weaker then his dad. IHow people jump to the conclusion that sanji is some pushover is beyond me.

KageZero

Well i don't follow the forum too much so maybe i missed it but this is usually how things started regarding sanji/zoro brotherhood.
Ah well i got caught then

ckohler

pretty boring chapter. i really don't care about sanji's family. his back story is kinda boring as well. also reileigh was able to take off the cuffs with no problems so luffy should be able to do the same.
This is how I feel also. I'm glad Sanji's true origin is being told but it's just sorta ho-hum so far. Judge is a 2-dimensional character. Anytime a parent is shown to disregard thier own child so nonchalantly, I can't suspend my disbelief. It's Sabo all over again.

The only thing unexpected was learning that Yonji's head is made of metal or something.

Familial conflict that adds an extra dimension to a main character's ideology is boring?

shrug-house.gif

If Judge didn't give a shit about Sanji back then, why did he even keep him around? I'm guessing there's also going to be a reason why Sanji was significantly weaker than his siblings.

I feel like Sanji's flashback was kinda rushed and cheap?

It's definitely going to be expanded. We still don't know exactly how Sanji escaped to the East Blue and his mother has been suspiciously ignored throughout all of their conversations. Like was also said above, we saw the first part of Law's flashback early but we didn't get the rest of it for several chapters.

ckohler

Familial conflict that adds an extra dimension to a main character's ideology is boring?

Nono, I like that part. I'm just saying that Germa 66 and Judge in particular are kinda uninteresting. They remind me of "Celestial-Dragons lite".

That Oda, the master of foreshadowing, is finally revealing Sanji's origin is indeed welcome.

RomanceDawn

Which one of you flat foots complained that because of Sky Walk Sanji has no need to do hand stands, Party Table and such? You happy now? Told you he'd still be doing his acrobatics!

Does no one else care that we finally see both eyes at the same time?

Also this chapter was fantastic. Feel bad for anyone who can't enjoy insight into who and why Sanji is the way he is. Rushed? Like everything ever in One Piece the flash back will have a major extension. Yeah that was it, lol.

Nono, I like that part. I'm just saying that Germa 66 and Judge in particular are kinda uninteresting. They remind me of "Celestial-Dragons lite".

That Oda, the master of foreshadowing, is finally revealing Sanji's origin is indeed welcome.

Eh, I'd reserved judgement (lol) until we see more what they have to offer. I'm very interested in seeing Ichiji, Niji, and Reiju in action.
Unlike the Dragons, Judge seems competent and tactical. We need to see the events that led to Sanji abandoning his family.

Does no one else care that we finally see both eyes at the same time?

I read the chapter again but I don't see where both of his eyes are shown.
Oda has kinda been teasing Sanji's right eye a lot in this arc. Maybe we'll see him un-banged?

... Nowhere was it implied that sanji is weaker then vergo and especially not weaker then his dad. IHow people jump to the conclusion that sanji is some pushover is beyond me.

Didn't his leg bone crack when he was fighting Vergo? serious stuff there.

I mean, i'm not trying to bait, but i've noticed how Diable Jambe has started to become quite useless against the foes thrown at sanji to fight, it's time for him to show us a new technique i think.

Kain

Sanji's dad doesn't seem specially strong (compared to Sanji I mean), there is something fishy going on here. It looked to me like Sanji didn't do his best (no Okama Kenpo, no new techniques). Why? That's what I don't get and that's what's interesting. He didn't know about the bracelets, but I don't think they are so difficult to get off anyway.

I mean, I can't see Luffy touching BM, but Jajji? Piece of cake

Nibel

?? Pretty sure that was just a snippet. He did the same with law

Sure, but I'm just saying that it's not that a very creative or original reason why Sanji hates his family. But who knows, I assume there is still a ton coming (the panel with him wearing that helmet inside the cage is interesting)

Overall a great chapter though. The panel with Judge in mid-air where he flung himself behind Sanji is fantastic

smurfx

get some go again
i guess the real question is where is sanji's family getting this technology from. don't think it's the world government because they would likely give it to the marines to make them more powerful. is there some other genius like vegapunk that works for the vinsmokes? could be that it's shared technology from the celestials who refuse to share it with common people. since the vinsmokes are royalty and live on the ocean they might be the only ones showing this off. would be cool if mariejoa is some really advanced society.

Veelk

Banned

I really hope that's not the reason. Insanity can be an interesting way of depicting people, but it's really shitty characterization if all they are doing is using as an excuse to realize baseless, meaningless, plot driven actions.

Big mom seems pretty cunning when she's not having a candy driven episode, so I want her to have actual substantial reasons for what she's doing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really hope that's not the reason. Insanity can be an interesting way of depicting people, but it's really shitty characterization if all they are doing is using as an excuse to realize baseless, meaningless, plot driven actions.

Big mom seems pretty cunning when she's not having a candy driven episode, so I want her to have actual substantial reasons for what she's doing.
One Piece villains aren't above and beyond shallow characterization.

Arlong - racist

Enel - megalomaniac

Akainu - extremism

They're often a walking embodiment of some negative trait. There are a few exceptions, though, like Crocodile or Moria. Big Mom seems like she might have some nuance to her, like she could be pretty reasonable and nice most of the time but her mental instability makes her dangerous and even monstrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom