• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece villains aren't above and beyond shallow characterization.

Arlong - racist

Enel - megalomaniac

Akainu - extremism

They're often a walking embodiment of some negative trait. There are a few exceptions, though, like Crocodile or Moria. Big Mom seems like she might have some nuance to her, like she could be pretty reasonable and nice most of the time but her mental instability makes her dangerous and even monstrous.

Oversimplification considering Arlong had a reason (although unjustified in his actions) for his racism. This also ignores people Smoker, Aokiji, Kuma, Magellan, and even Blackbeard.

Veelk

Banned
One Piece villains aren't above and beyond shallow characterization.

Arlong - racist

Enel - megalomaniac

Akainu - extremism

They're often a walking embodiment of some negative trait. There are a few exceptions, though, like Crocodile or Moria. Big Mom seems like she might have some nuance to her, like she could be pretty reasonable and nice most of the time but her mental instability makes her dangerous and even monstrous.

True, but I feel like the recent doflamingo was a step in the right direction. And Big Mom is hitting a lot of right buttons for me...so far. I want to see them keep it up.

It doesn't have to be super complex. Maybe give her the Walter White methodology: she "loves" her family and wants to make them happy, but she is incapable of seeing her family as independent and individual people separate from her, so she tries to make them happy by forcing them into situations only she really wants. That alone would probably justify her insistence on marriage.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oversimplification considering Arlong had a reason (although unjustified in his actions) for his racism. This also ignores people Smoker, Aokiji, Kuma, Magellan, and even Blackbeard.
I wasn't making a blanket statement. Arlong was made complex after being the main villain. I'm just saying that it happens in One Piece sometimes. I'm not saying this is a particularly terrible thing - Enel is my favorite villain and he's probably the most paper thin of them all. I say this as a man who loves nuance and good writing.

Also, I agree with Veelk ^^^^ on Doffy being a step in the right direction. Especially when you compare him to his brother, who serves as a foil for his nastiness. He's still evil for the sake of being evil, but there's layers to it.

I wasn't making a blanket statement. Arlong was made complex after being the main villain. I'm just saying that it happens in One Piece sometimes. I'm not saying this is a particularly terrible thing - Enel is my favorite villain and he's probably the most paper thin of them all. I say this as a man who loves nuance and good writing.

Also, I agree with Veelk ^^^^ on Doffy being a step in the right direction. Especially when you compare him to his brother, who serves as a foil for his nastiness. He's still evil for the sake of being evil, but there's layers to it.

It doesn't happen in One Piece sometimes.

All of your examples are from early One Piece with the exception of Akainu.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It doesn't happen in One Piece sometimes.

All of your examples are from early One Piece.
It happened recently with Hody and racism (again) and Caesar and his mad scientist persona, so I'll have to disagree there.

It happened recently with Hody and racism (again) and Caesar and his mad scientist persona, so I'll have to disagree there.

Hody was treated like a tragic figure.

Are we reading the same comic?

In either case, not every villain needs nuance. Arlong and Hody both had nuance. To say that Hody's just one trait without nuance while saying Doffy is in the right direction is to ignore every bit of Hody's character development and I'm not even a fan of that arc.

One Piece has villains with nuance. But not every villain needs to have nuance. Caesar is a mid boss. Why would he have nuance?

Veelk

Banned

If you read Hody as a tragic figure, I'm not sure we are. The guy was an out and out sociopath, more blatant than even the likes of Doflamingo. The narration argued he was the result of institutionalized racism, but not the victim of it.

SolVanderlyn

I don't know why you're being so confrontational, it's not like I am saying the series or even the characters that are fairly shallow are bad.

Hody was a product of his generation, but his actual execution was very one dimensional. "I hate humans" was his entire personality. The nuance came in the story surrounding Hody rather than Hody himself.

I don't know why you're being so confrontational, it's not like I am saying the series or even the characters that are fairly shallow are bad.

Hody was a product of his generation, but his actual execution was very one dimensional. "I hate humans" was his entire personality. The nuance came in the story surrounding Hody rather than Hody himself.

Okay, that's fair. I still find Hody to be a tragic character. I also still think saying Arlong is shallow is an oversimplification. I think the story presents him in a new, interesting light. Whether it does this later in the story or not is irrelevant to me.

I just have a problem with saying One Piece villains lack nuance as if this is the case for every villain. It's a case by case basis. You bring up Akainu when we haven't even fought Akainu for example. We didn't know what Aokiji's deal was until Water 7. All I'm saying is watch it play out.

Oh wow Sanji is actually stronger than them all.
Doesn't that kind of seem like what was being hinted at here? At the very least I'm thinking he can take his siblings and will have to go all out for his father. Going into this chapter I expected a curb stomp instead it felt like oda saying"nah sanji can handle himself"

The Vinsmoke's are a bunch of deplorable people, Reiju especially. She went along with the rest of the family by tormenting Sanji when they were kids, and now has the gall to play loving older sister. of course it is part of her character, and that is what's making this arc interesting to me.

There's only room for one more blonde strawhat it isn't Reiju

You're right.

images

Also no way was Hody written as a tragic character.

So I had a neat idea.

I think Oda is setting up Luffy for a big, holy shit this guy might be the Pirate King moment.

So we've got the exploding wristband things. What if Oda is going for a parallel with Rayleigh, his trainer? So imagine Luffy crashes the wedding, breaks off the cuffs like Rayleigh did for Camie, then uses CoH and knocks out Germa/Big Moms pirates. Only the top tier people would be standing, just like when Rayleigh used CoH at the auction house.

That would be so damn epic.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm thankful for the OP fandom for many things but I'm most thankful is that the shipping bullshit is keep down way to a bear minimum.

So, should we forget about Kaido for a while? What do you think Oda is going to do?

Most likely, we are focused on BM and the Vinsmoke atm but Kaidou is the looming threat, that reminds me we are probably gonna see Caribou in Wano.

Stop hating Pudding, she will redeem herself
and become a SH

I agree.

Ray Down

Banned
So I had a neat idea.

I think Oda is setting up Luffy for a big, holy shit this guy might be the Pirate King moment.

So we've got the exploding wristband things. What if Oda is going for a parallel with Rayleigh, his trainer? So imagine Luffy crashes the wedding, breaks off the cuffs like Rayleigh did for Camie, then uses CoH and knocks out Germa/Big Moms pirates. Only the top tier people would be standing, just like when Rayleigh used CoH at the auction house.

If not Luffy will storm BM castle and steal the key.

4456456436.gif

I ship Reiju and Zoro.

It be worth it for Sanji reaction, I imagine a brain aneurysm just out of sheer anger.

Samemind

Which one of you flat foots complained that because of Sky Walk Sanji has no need to do hand stands, Party Table and such? You happy now? Told you he'd still be doing his acrobatics!

Does no one else care that we finally see both eyes at the same time?

Also this chapter was fantastic. Feel bad for anyone who can't enjoy insight into who and why Sanji is the way he is. Rushed? Like everything ever in One Piece the flash back will have a major extension. Yeah that was it, lol.
My feet are finely arched, thank you very much. Lol, guess i got served by Goda

I wish we got more of the Sanji backstory instead of fighting.
Anyway this Judge character seems really lame, usually villains are more grey in OP, but this one is just too black, and for what sake? It seems like cheap attempt at making us feel for Sanji and I can't say it works too well.
Also what is the point for marriage for Vinsmokes? It looks like Judge is doing this only out of spite for Sanji, lol. Does he really need Momma's fleet to take North Blue? Germa 66 was hyped to be much more capable than that and no need to rely on someone else.

SolVanderlyn

Anyway this Judge character seems really lame, usually villains are more grey in OP, but this one is just too black, and for what sake? It seems like cheap attempt at making us feel for Sanji and I can't say it works too well.
Also what is the point for marriage for Vinsmokes? It looks like Judge is doing this only out of spite for Sanji, lol. Does he really need Momma's fleet to take North Blue? Germa 66 was hyped to be much more capable than that and no need to rely on someone else.
I imagine he wants to broker an alliance with Big Mom so he doesn't have to deal with islands under her protection, assuming yonkou can even extend influence to the Blues...? I don't know. He seemed like he was willing to forget about Mom until he realized he could throw Sanji at her, so it's almost like he's giving away his "dud" of a son to get more power in a very nonchalant manner.

Majukun

all that you are asking has been directly answered in this chapter

also,it's less about actually conquering the north blue and more about defending it...much of the north blue it's probably under the WG flag..that means that if you subjugate it,you are actively at war with the WG itself..and battling against the world might be too much for germa alone..BUT with the additional strenght and supply net of a yonkou,things might be more feasible (i still think they would not be able to hold it for much even with big mom behind them..but only this way Judge's ambition will be quenched

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I had a neat idea.

We already had that moment kind of, when he knocked out 50k fishmen

I have a hope Sanji says something like "I have only one brother and he's a moron with green hair" so I can cry happy tears.
Honestly, I think he would never say that because it would imply he thinks better of Zoro over Luffy and Usopp. All the Strawhats are his family.

And I saw this crazy theory that Killer is the kid with the Iron Mask in the jail, hence the bangs covering the right eye and why Sanji talks like it was a different person. Sanji would have been giving food to him and the sort. But I don't get why he would use a shirt with the number 3. And Killer saw Sanji in Sabaody and didn't talk to him or anything.

Probably won't happen.

RomanceDawn

Honestly, I think he would never say that because it would imply he thinks better of Zoro over Luffy and Usopp. All the Strawhats are his family.

It would have to be something like "There's only 2 swordsmen who'd I call brothers! A skeleton and a green haired moron!" Or "The only brother I enjoy picking a fight with is an idiot green haired swordsman"

SolVanderlyn

You know who Judge reminds me of? If you've watched/read Game of Thrones...

Sam's dad. Great and respected warrior, nobleman, has a son and daughters he likes, but treats the important character like crap and says he's no son of his.

RomanceDawn

You know who Judge reminds me of? If you've watched/read Game of Thrones...

Sam's dad. Great and respected warrior, nobleman, has a son and daughters he likes, but treats the important character like crap and says he's no son of his.

Oda has been watching it recently after Greg introduced him. Maybe it's no coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom