• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever wonder how a family with an anglo-saxon sounding surname like Vinsmoke end up with japanese numbers for their children's first names?

Outside of their surname, the Vinsmokes don't seem very anglo-saxon to me.

I always thought that the One Piece world speaks English, but Japanese was a literary language. It's mostly the fancy organizations like the Marines that use Japanese a lot.

plus anime naming, yeah

I wonder if "Reiju" being numbered with a zero was a joke about computers numbering from zero.

Just assume everyone can speak and read English and Japanese.
But characters will use real-world languages that don't exist anywhere in the OP world just for Rule of Cool.

Sanji knows the French language and Robin knows both Spanish and French.
Baron Tamago ends his sentences with random French terms lol.

Veelk

Banned
Outside of their surname, the Vinsmokes don't seem very anglo-saxon to me.

The head dude's name is "Judge" officially, right? That's an english word/name.

Even if we consider it to be Jujji though, that just reverses the question. Why does a japanese family have the surname Vinsmoke?

Not to mention Germa sounds more Anglo-saxon than japanese.

Even if we consider it to be Jujji though, that just reverses the question. Why does a japanese family have the surname Vinsmoke?

Maybe it's the Gatchaman-like outfits that are throwing me off.

It's Jajji if I remember. Don't have access to raws.

cntr

Banned
No necessarily. I doubt a gun and a sword had human parts in them, and they could maintain devil fruits.
I'm mostly assuming that Vegapunk didn't transfer the Devil Fruit from his human self to his machine self, and it'd be creepier if he still had human parts.

Genryu

Banned
I'm mostly assuming that Vegapunk didn't transfer the Devil Fruit from his human self to his machine self, and it'd be creepier if he still had human parts.

715613.gif

Red Fire

You guys ever wonder how a family with an anglo-saxon sounding surname like Vinsmoke end up with japanese numbers for their children's first names?

How do fishmen vocalize speech underwater? There's no bubbles out of their mouths when they talk, so they don't use air....

Here's your answer:

The 'it's reality, can't do anything about it' argument is always bullshit in the context of any fiction, but it's never been more bullshit than when applied to one piece. The number of ways that OP deviates from what would 'realistically' happen is so laughably monumental that it would be farcical to list them all.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vinsmokes are nothing but French with that wine focused surname and fancy lad hairdos.

This thing about the name kinda applies to Nami and Nojiko as well. Her mother's name is Bellemere, which is a French name (she doesn't have a surname but I would imagine that it would be French-like?) but she chose Japanese names for her daughters. And Nami would be Swedish in real life, according to Oda.

Veelk

Banned
Do you guys think Elbaf will address how Giants and other giant creatures don't collapse under their own weight given the square cubed law?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is there a chapter this week?

Do you guys think Elbaf will address how Giants and other giant creatures don't collapse under their own weight given the square cubed law?
No but I always wonder how the chemical makeup of an individual changes in response to exposure to the devil fruit. Do you think Oda will give us access to Dr. Vegapunk's reports and journals so we can check for ourselves the validity of the data?

Veelk

Banned
No but I always wonder how the chemical makeup of an individual changes in response to exposure to the devil fruit. Do you think Oda will give us access to Dr. Vegapunk's reports and journals so we can check for ourselves the validity of the data?

I'm curious to know his hypothesis on how various DF's get away with violating the Law of Conservation of Mass. I'm pretty sure some violate the second law of thermodynamics with it's various, but I'm not as familiar with that one.

On second thought, does OP even have stable laws of the universe?

SolVanderlyn

Oddachi: Well, to tell the truth, I saw them fall in a forest, and I didn't hear anything. But later, I found out Corazon was there, so I don't know if he was using his fruit or not. I guess we will never know.

Veelk

Banned
So whats the deal with the talking minks? You need a particular mouth structure for human langauge. Atleast fishmen seem to have developed that. Minks also have a anthropomorphized body, but their heads and especially their mouths generally remain true to their animal parts. A dog/cat/rabbit cannot produce several human langauge phonemes. How do they speak japanese/english/whatever one-pieceians speak?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So whats the deal with the talking minks? You need a particular mouth structure for human langauge. Atleast fishmen seem to have developed that. Minks also have a anthropomorphized body, but their heads and especially their mouths generally remain true to their animal parts. A dog/cat/rabbit cannot produce several human langauge phonemes. How do they speak japanese/english/whatever one-pieceians speak?

The author-as-God is canonical in One Piece. Nobody has any agency, they are literally placed in each panel and have physical words hovering near their faces. They are soulless automatons that exist in two dimensions that can only silently scream as they are puppeted to Goda's amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom