• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
If we're going to simplify it that far down the term loses all meaning though.

I mean, it's not a particularly deep or difficult narrative mechanic. A foil serves to highlight one aspect or another, and this highlights Luffy's willingness not to use violence just for the sake of pride. This was a pretty large plot point, given Shank's introduction that later carried to Luffy's confrontation with whathisname....Bellamy. Kidd would have never even thought of reacting to Bellamy's ridicule the same way Luffy did.

Whats the significance of this? I have no idea. But it's been a recurring plotline that Luffy just shrugs off those laughing at him, and Kidd specifically contrasts that.

That said, what makes BB a particularly great character, going by your metric? So he contrasts Luffy by being a piece of crap. So what? Why is this significant while Kidd being vicious is not?

Even I agree, what's the point of having two characters make Luffy more noble? Big Mom takes people's life force. Kaido slaughters entire cities/islands with his crew. How is Kidd unique? There is something unique about BB. But not Kidd. Every single one of these enemies show Luffy is noble. That's Luffy's entire MO - the noble pirate. How does this make Kidd special?

Because he's an up and coming rookie, like Luffy, part of the Eleven Supernovas. It's not merely being vicious, but he's specifically crafting his journey in a manner similar to Luffy's journey in the story, with the dividing issue being his viciousness, as opposed to Big Mom, whose viciousness is already in place before Luffy really even starts. What makes him a foil in particular isn't that he's just different from Luffy in that one regard, but that he's similar in nearly every other one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, it's not a particularly deep or difficult narrative mechanic. A foil serves to highlight one aspect or another, and this highlights Luffy's willingness not to use violence just for the sake of pride. This was a pretty large plot point, given Shank's introduction that later carried to Luffy's confrontation with whathisname....Bellamy. Kidd would have never even thought of reacting to Bellamy's ridicule the same way Luffy did.

Whats the significance of this? I have no idea. But it's been a recurring plotline that Luffy just shrugs off those laughing at him, and Kidd specifically contrasts that.

That said, what makes BB a particularly great character, going by your metric? So he contrasts Luffy by being a piece of crap. So what? Why is this significant while Kidd being vicious is not?

From the post you skipped over:

In acting as a foil for Luffy we learn a massive amount about him (Blackbeard) as a character in terms of his actions and what to expect from him as the story continues. Blackbeard as a foil not only highlights Luffy, but the shadows Luffy creates fill in Blackbeard's character for us the reader. So even though we've only really encountered him a few times, we already have a very good idea what to expect from him as the story continues.

You just really like Kidd is all this argument is really about.

dabig also misses the point of a foil by simplifying it down to the point where everyone is a foil for everyone else. Just because a comparison is drawn doesn't mean the two characters are a foil.

True enough but most One Piece enemies are about establishing just how different they are from Luffy. We could say every major villain in the series is a foil. Arlong shows that he used Nami as a pawn and not as a legitimate crew mate. His arc is about establishing what comrade/nakama means to the series and Luffy as a whole. Moira used shortcuts like raising the dead and people fighting for him to become the pirate King. What about Buggy, the coward? Or Ace, who doesn't dare dream of being the pirate King? Almost every villain has their philosophy that runs contrary to Luffy's. They all pursue freedom but have different ideas of it. Are they all foils now too?

Lunar15

Nah, I doubt Kidd's done. Oda's definitely using him to set up the Yonkou as terrifying, but there's definitely a reason he singled out Law and Kidd on Sabody, and I fully believe Kidd will be a major player moving forward. I completely agree that he's a foil for Luffy.

That said, the biggest and most obvious foil for Luffy is Blackbeard. Same goals, but exact opposite means of achieving them. They even both believe in things like dreams, but Blackbeard represents the dark/selfish side of chasing dreams. I've always seen Luffy as the strongest case for "freedom" in that world, while Blackbeard is the biggest case against it.

Also, Luffy's rubber power naturally deflects things, Blackbeard's naturally absorbs them. Even their powers are somewhat foils.

My two cents.

Blackbeard is more of a foil to Luffy than anyone in this entire series, and by your definition of foil anyone from Buggy D. Clown to Doflamingo is a foil. It's a meaningless comparison. I think you just need to admit you love Kidd as a character, and I can pull your past posts on you claiming he was a lot like you in your perception of him. Something about nihilism.

Blackbeard on the other hand, is essentially the "evil, vicious" Luffy you are describing Kidd as for more reasons than being a mean pirate. His parallels to Luffy regarding dreams, discovering One Piece, and philosophy on freedom are pretty apparent if you're following along. This is aside from the blatantly obvious plotpoints such as both being D.'s, and Oda setting Blackbeard up as an endgame villain. Kidd has none of this going for him.

This is the very first scene of them together:

tumblr_nuxxytRn9Y1u9ddj1o1_500.jpg

All I gotta say is come on son

dabig2

dabig also misses the point of a foil by simplifying it down to the point where everyone is a foil for everyone else. Just because a comparison is drawn doesn't mean the two characters are a foil.

I haven't missed a thing. You're the one adding more constraints on what a foil means. Like Veelk said, it's a really simple literary device. A foil is literally just a comparison between a character and the main character, usually to highlight an attribute. Simple as that.

Maybe we all interpreted the fight back to back from Luffy, Law and Kidd on Sabaody Archipelago wrong. We saw it as them being on the same level, the elite of the worst generation, which will be the main rivals for Luffy on his race to become a Yanko and even the Pirate King. Instead they maybe will become Luffy's main allies.

Kidd is in a really bad situation, but in an interesting one to become the "Law" of the Kaido arc. Luffy helps him, we get more of his backstory and Luffy, Law and Kidd fight again back to back against Kaido and his crew. If the other members of his short lived alliance really turned over to Kaido, then he properly has a lot of beef with them.

Maybe we see all captains of the worst generation starting to take sides with the Yonkos. Since we know, that Luffy will also become one, it make sense for some of them joining his fleet.
Jewelry Bonney and Urouge sound like Wild Cards in this scenario. Bonney's interaction with Zoro, a very likely hatred for Blackbeard and an interesting relationship to the Marines or World Government, makes her also very likely to get on the side of the Strawhats.

I've seen a lot of people mention Luffy will become a yonkou on this page. First I've heard of it?

I haven't missed a thing. You're the one adding more constraints on what a foil means. Like Veelk said, it's a really simple literary device. A foil is literally just a comparison between a character and the main character, usually to highlight an attribute. Simple as that.

Good, meaningful foils go beyond that, though. There is such a thing as writing a complex and deep foil to a character.

Veelk

Banned
From the post you skipped over:

You just really like Kidd is all this argument is really about.

That's not really specific. Okay, what can we expect from him then? Like, can we predict what he is going to do in the story? We can predict his basic reactions based on his personality, but we hardly need Luffy for that. And while it's obvious he'll fight Luffy, I really don't know what else he's gonna do nor do I see how you could predict anything with any reasonable amount of certainty. Maybe fight the revolutionaries? Like, more than they did already?

And once you tell me what things we can tell from BB being a foil, I'll see if I can't counter that by also making predictions about Kidd. I mean, there's a lot of speculation about Kidd getting into an alliance ala Law, but if that happens my bet is that at one point he'll want to go farther in terms of viciousness than Luffy wants to, which will lead to a fight.

And honestly, this reductionist bs is kind of lame. I've given my reasons why Kidd qualifies as a foil. Even if you're completely right about it failure to provide meaningful insight into the characters, that would just make him an ineffective foil, the same way a twist that doesn't shock the audience is an ineffective twist. No one would argue that a twist isn't a twist if it fails to surprise the audience, just that it is a failed twist. There isn't a character in OP worth liking enough to get too obsessed about.

My two cents.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I openly agreed that BB was the better written character. I fully agree that BB is meant to be his biggest contrast while Kidd is more of a bit player on a minor scale in terms of reflecting Luffy.

My original post was just as a way to say that I prefer him as a foil for personal reasons.

I don't know how my argument is being distorted into saying that Kidd is the better written opposite or that I think he's the biggest foil. I am just saying I like him more as a foil, even if he isn't better written as Luffy's foil.

RE: Kidd as foil, Veelk you've said they're basically the same character except for one important item, but.. I don't really think that's true at all. They don't really share any character traits, really. Wanting to be king of the pirates isn't a trait. Blackbeard is an example of the opposite, like Cloud showed up there they had the same/opposite reactions at the tavern, and maybe most importantly they both have a strong belief in the ability to follow a dream. We don't really know anything about Kidd as a character other than that he's a huge dick and he wants One Piece.

Eating habits are more important than fundamental character motivation? As I said, I agree that BB is more of a foil, and their eating introduction is meant to prime the reader into noticing those contrasts, but the eating itself is not something I would see as meaningful foil. Something like having the same dream serving as a reference point for how wildly different characters go about their dreams seems like better reference point to me (and why BB is a meaningful foil, with his resolve to follow his dream mirroring Luffy's)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
RE: Kidd as foil, Veelk you've said they're basically the same character except for one important item, but.. I don't really think that's true at all. They don't really share any character traits. Wanting to be king of the pirates isn't a trait, there are a million pirates who want that. Blackbeard is an example of the opposite, like Cloud showed up there they had the same/opposite reactions at the tavern, and maybe most importantly they both have a strong belief in the ability to follow a dream. We don't really know anything about Kidd as a character other than that he's a huge dick and he wants One Piece.

Lunar15

You can definitely have multiple foils. Kidd is for sure one of them, although I expect him to face turn at some point.

That said, it's beyond obvious that the biggest villain in the series, and the one that diametrically opposes Luffy's entire being, is Blackbeard.

Well, as dabig pointed out, Shakky specifically drew the comparison to Kidd and Luffy because she didn't like how vicious he was. So same thing as Blackbeard, Kidd makes Luffy look more noble. It's literally becomes the basis of a plotpoint if it's the reason that Shakky decides to help out Luffy.

For me personally? I probably relate to Kidd's reaction to the OP world more than any other character. I don't think he's a better foil necessarily in the sense that he's better written than BB, because Kidd hasn't been in the story long enough for that to be true. I just prefer him as a character.

That's fair. What do you mean you relate to Kidd's reactions to the world of OP though? I can't relate to any characters except maybe Nami or Usopp.

Kidd is lamer than dog shit. Who actually likes him?

I like him lots. Guy is ruthless and have a badass fruit. All the worst generation are badass except Apo, who is lame.

Lunar15

Kidd is lamer than dog shit. Who actually likes him?

I actually think he's pretty cool, from the same standpoint that Vleek's coming from. Oda specifically set him up as a foil in that he killed those that made fun of his dreams, whereas Luffy was benevolent.

I think it's definitely clear that Oda has some cool designs for him, and I really think him being locked up is Oda just setting up the audience.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's not really specific. Okay, what can we expect from him then? Like, can we predict what he is going to do in the story? We can predict his basic reactions based on his personality, but we hardly need Luffy for that. And while it's obvious he'll fight Luffy, I really don't know what else he's gonna do nor do I see how you could predict anything with any reasonable amount of certainty. Maybe fight the revolutionaries? Like, more than they did already?

And once you tell me what things we can tell from BB being a foil, I'll see if I can't counter that by also making predictions about Kidd. I mean, there's a lot of speculation about Kidd getting into an alliance ala Law, but if that happens my bet is that at one point he'll want to go farther in terms of viciousness than Luffy wants to, which will lead to a fight.

And honestly, this reductionist bs is kind of lame. I've given my reasons why Kidd qualifies as a foil. Even if you're completely right about it failure to provide meaningful insight into the characters, that would just make him an ineffective foil, the same way a twist that doesn't shock the audience is an ineffective twist. No one would argue that a twist isn't a twist if it fails to surprise the audience, just that it is a failed twist. There isn't a character in OP worth liking enough to get too obsessed about.

Let's be real: we know all of jack shit about Kidd. We've never seen him operate, we've never seen him do much of anything. Your entire argument is based on a line delivered by another character and not his own actions. Our only knowledge of him is literally delivered by Shakky.

Also, I'm not the one being reductionist here. You're the one here simplifying things.

Oxn

Let's be real: we know all of jack shit about Kidd. We've never seen him operate, we've never seen him do much of anything. Your entire argument is based on a line delivered by another character and not his own actions. Our only knowledge of him is literally delivered by Shakky.

Also, I'm not the one being reductionist here. You're the one here simplifying things.

Thats cause anytime they show him, he's losing.

Cant wait till Zoro cuts him down, he dont deserve any more screen time.

Shouldve given us more Urouge screen time.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I openly agreed that BB was the better written character. I fully agree that BB is meant to be his biggest contrast while Kidd is more of a bit player on a minor scale in terms of reflecting Luffy.

My original post was just as a way to say that I prefer him as a foil for personal reasons.

I don't know how my argument is being distorted into saying that Kidd is the better written opposite or that I think he's the biggest foil. I am just saying I like him more as a foil, even if he isn't better written as Luffy's foil.

I definitely am not taking it that way at all. I know exactly what you're saying.

What I'm saying is, if we go by your definition of a foil, then Kidd really isn't special at all. So what's to like? Obviously it's something more than being a foil, right?

Edit: B-Dubs nailed it.

Because he's an up and coming rookie, like Luffy, part of the Eleven Supernovas. It's not merely being vicious, but he's specifically crafting his journey in a manner similar to Luffy's journey in the story, with the dividing issue being his viciousness, as opposed to Big Mom, whose viciousness is already in place before Luffy really even starts. What makes him a foil in particular isn't that he's just different from Luffy in that one regard, but that he's similar in nearly every other one.

I can buy that argument even if I disagree.

Veelk

Banned
That's fair. What do you mean you relate to Kidd's reactions to the world of OP though? I can't relate to any characters except maybe Nami or Usopp.

He has a murderous contempt of anything that annoys him.

I don't remember if we talked in other threads, because I've definitely seen you around and recall you writing a lot of posts, so let me make my introduction, if it is this, a bit less morally questionable.

I'm a pretty empathetic person and a huge lover of fiction. You find me talking about other stories, I will be making an effort to talk about why this character does what he or she does, how they feel, etc.

However, for various reasons, the characters of One Piece act so inhuman that I am unable to empathize with any of them. You see me talking about most other stories, this will not be the case. But at some point, I realized several hundred chapters into OP that I didn't care about any single one of these people and hated atleast most of them.

So, thus far, Kidd is the only character who, when he finds someone that annoys him...not for any righteous reason or anything like that, but just personally ticks him off, he kills them. He reacts to things most similarly I would if I were a character in OP. In that way, I relate to him.

You can definitely have multiple foils. Kidd is for sure one of them, although I expect him to face turn at some point.

That said, it's beyond obvious that the biggest villain in the series, and the one that diametrically opposes Luffy's entire being, is Blackbeard.

I feel like you're the only one actually getting my point here, Lunar.

I think you can have multiple foils. I just don't see Kidd as a good one so far. I find Coby as a better second foil. Where Luffy is naturally strong, Coby is naturally comparatively weak. Where Luffy is impatient, Coby is patient. Where Luffy dreams of being a pirate, Coby dreamed of becoming a marine. And yet both are emotional under duress, and while they don't share career paths they both carry the same amount of passion for their careers. Coby is such a more interesting character to me as far as Luffy's potential foils than Kidd. I like him a lot.

So, thus far, Kidd is the only character who, when he finds someone that annoys him...not for any righteous reason or anything like that, but just personally ticks him off, he kills them. He reacts to things most similarly I would if I were a character in OP. In that way, I relate to him.

So he's not great chiefly because he's a foil, it's because he's personally relatable to you.

That's all I was getting at. We know jack shit about Kidd, and your perception of him is interesting when we have characters like Jack and Akainu who kill people who annoy them, and are also foils by making Luffy seem more noble.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Eating habits are more important than fundamental character motivation? As I said, I agree that BB is more of a foil, and their eating introduction is meant to prime the reader into noticing those contrasts, but the eating itself is not something I would see as meaningful foil. Something like having the same dream serving as a reference point for how wildly different characters go about their dreams seems like better reference point to me (and why BB is a meaningful foil, with his resolve to follow his dream mirroring Luffy's)

I don't mean to say that eating habits are in any way relevant, just that it's an example of immediate comparison/contrast, "look at this guy and how he compares to Luffy." The "dreams never die" line is really the main thing that bonds them as characters.

But you've said this:

Veelk said:
What makes him a foil in particular isn't that he's just different from Luffy in that one regard, but that he's similar in nearly every other one.

I'm not particularly interested in arguing his "foil" status or not, I can buy that he's one just by virtue of "he kills, luffy doesn't," sure. But I'd definitely stop short of saying he's similar to Luffy in "nearly every other" regard. Literally their only similarity is that they're supernovas. They have traveled the grand line, and managed to find success in doing so. Thousands of pirates travel the grand line and get wiped out, so really the only notable similarity between Kidd and Luffy is that they've done pretty alright. We don't know anything about Kidd beyond that, particularly in ways that we could compare directly to Luffy. Luffy has a magnetic personality, he built his crew during his journey, his goal is to be free, not famous, blah blah blah. We don't know Kidd's position on any of this. So to claim he's similar to Luffy in a large number of ways is mostly baseless.

I think you can have multiple foils. I just don't see Kidd as a good one so far. I find Coby as a better second foil. Where Luffy is naturally strong, Coby is naturally comparatively weak. Where Luffy is impatient, Coby is patient. Where Luffy dreams of being a pirate, Coby dreamed of becoming a marine. And yet both are emotional under duress, and while they don't share career paths they both carry the same amount of passion for their careers. Coby is such a more interesting character to me as far as Luffy's potential foils than Kidd. I like him a lot.

Coby and Luffy are pretty cool when compared, but when I think of them I think of Akainu and Blackbeard.

Luffy->Blackbeard
Coby->Akainu

They are two very different definitions of what it means to be a Marine and Pirate.

Veelk

Banned
So he's not great chiefly because he's a foil, it's because he's personally relatable to you.

That's all I was getting at. We know jack shit about Kidd, and your perception of him is interesting when we have characters like Jack and Akainu who kill people who annoy them, and are also foils by making Luffy seem more noble.

Yeah, but the difference between what your saying (and I'm saying) and what B-dubs is saying is this:

I like Kidd as a foil because I like him as a character and rival for Luffy.

B-dubs on the other hand is trying to argue I am intentionally mislabeling him a foil just because I like him.

But it doesn't matter anyways. Everyone here except him seems to agree that Kidd qualifies under the definition. They don't agree with me that he's that interesting of a character, and that's fair, because I realize I am in the minority of liking Kidd. But he does qualify as a foil, and arguing he doesn't seems pretty pedantic.

It's not even true. Other than Shakky, he himself says that he killed anyone who laughed at him. And agian, before he even showed up, laughter at dreams and reactions to them has been set up as a significant thematic piece of the story with Bellamy. And after that, we see him crucifying a pirate, so his cruelty is hardly just word of mouth.

The point where we disagree is that you seem to view a foil as something inherently deep and I just see it as a simple mechanic, even if it's one I have penchant for. It doesn't need to be some huge, extreme insight into anything, it just needs to be a contrast, even if it's only slight. You, on the other hand, are trying to reduce it to "just because I like Kidd". That is flat out reductionist bullshit. You can disagree with me all you want and I could still respect that, but this is straight up misappropriating my argument. If that's how your going to argue, then you're just wrong and I'm leaving it at that.

Coby and Luffy are pretty cool when compared, but when I think of them I think of Akainu and Blackbeard.

Luffy->Blackbeard
Coby->Akainu

They are two very different definitions of what it means to be a Marine and Pirate.

I agree. I think they both have completely different main adversaries but ultimately are great contrasts, more so than other characters besides Luffy:Blackbeard and Coby:Akainu. I feel like if there were a third main foil it'd be Luffy:Coby.

Veelk

Banned
I don't mean to say that eating habits are in any way relevant, just that it's an example of immediate comparison/contrast, "look at this guy and how he compares to Luffy." The "dreams never die" line is really the main thing that bonds them as characters.

But you've said this:

I'm not particularly interested in arguing his "foil" status or not, I can buy that he's one just by virtue of "he kills, luffy doesn't," sure. But I'd definitely stop short of saying he's similar to Luffy in "nearly every other" regard. Literally their only similarity is that they're supernovas. They have traveled the grand line, and managed to find success in doing so. Thousands of pirates travel the grand line and get wiped out, so really the only notable similarity between Kidd and Luffy is that they've done pretty alright. We don't know anything about Kidd beyond that, particularly in ways that we could compare directly to Luffy. Luffy has a magnetic personality, he built his crew during his journey, his goal is to be free, not famous, blah blah blah. We don't know Kidd's position on any of this. So to claim he's similar to Luffy in a large number of ways is mostly baseless.

Eh...that's fair. I may have misworded myself.

What I mean by being a supernova means that he comes from the same background. Blackbeard was on Shank's crew before he moved on to being a big shot, while Kidd is a newcomer to the Pirate game, just like Luffy.

It's in that that I find their characters to be similar. Without previous recognition, they've made a name for themselves as up and coming pirates from being complete nobodies, which isn't something that Blackbeard has claim to. I'll grant you is more of an abstract similarities compared to the specific similarity of Luffy and BB eating, but what I'm getting at is that Kidd (and Law) are set up in such a way as if to say "These could have been the protagonists of One Piece", which is not the vibe I get with BB.

But I can concede that, on specifics, there's not much we know about Kidd.

Xux

I want more on the other Supernova crews. Some official novels would be neat.

Blackbeard's, too, though, I guess that plot dump's inevitable.

smurfx

get some go again
Urouge is the true foil and rival to Luffy.
i get the feeling urogue will end up becoming an ally to luffy at some point. oda just majorly build him up after barely featuring him as he has the others. watch bonney get featured soon as well. in fact i think she might be one of the people that helps luffy get out of whole cake island. i'm really hoping she tags along as well and helps out vs kaido. of course that is also because i think she is joining the strawhats. jimbei and bonney joins at the end of the big mom arc. i definitely think she is related to big mom. it would actually be the best time for people to join as luffy will end up fully going up against an emperor this time around. luffy with his final crew + his allies vs kaido and his allies. you can pretty much throw in the supernovas as well.

I think Kidd is a decent foil, but he hasn't had enough scenes with Luffy to really justify his hype.
Luffy doesn't even know what Kidd is up to nor does he seem to particularly care about him.

Dugna

Someone noticed that the waterfall of apple juice that Pound wants is the exit to the woods.

Took me like 10 mins to figure out what was so special about the waterfall but then I noticed its like a game of notice the differences in a kids book.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That one skinny dude took down Kimbo Slice, too. Anyone can get lucky once.
Not like most of the Supernova's even get one chance, Kidd's like King Jobber and most have been getting their ass kicked outside of legends like Urouge. A one nil victory is still a victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom