• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

Luffy will have to level up hard to beat the rest of the commanders if he already had to use Gear 4. Mom is straight up out of his league.

Toriko isn't bad. Idk, I was interested in the premise but probably the most annoying thing about it is the ridiculous pseudo-science the author delivers in big exposition pieces.

Other than that it's coming to an end and I'm enjoying it for the most part. It's similar to One Piece in the exploration and crazy ass locations Toriko visits.

cntr

Banned
Luffy's not going to take down Big Mom, he's going to try and escape like with Magellan.

Defeating Kaido is going to be a huge massive affair, Oars-level.

I can't predict this arc at all beyond Nami being the main catalyst to getting them off Whole Cake. I do think it'll make Luffy and gang realize they underestimated emperors and they promised to never get wiped out like at Sabaody ever again. So I predict a quick retreat but as far as Kaido is concerned I don't know.

Like Idk..I don't want luffy having to gang up on each yonkou..but at the same time unless he has some shit still tucked away(which he might he had six months left after developing gear 4th) luffy Aint ready alone

cntr

Banned
vs. Blackbeard and/or vs. Shanks, yeah

though I like the theory that Shanks will challenge Luffy to a Davy Back Fight

bjork

Big Mom will probably be a goof and think Nami is Lola, and try to keep her as well. Then Sanji will get super pissed and take out Big Mom by himself and call Luffy a shitty captain or something. Then Luffy will pull Cracker up off the ground and be like, "see?! I told you he wouldn't say it like that!"

Big Mom will probably be a goof and think Nami is Lola, and try to keep her as well. Then Sanji will get super pissed and take out Big Mom by himself and call Luffy a shitty captain or something. Then Luffy will pull Cracker up off the ground and be like, "see?! I told you he wouldn't say it like that!"

tumblr_mupzxsBdze1s6lywfo1_500.gif

I approve
tumblr_n1tjb8oHTR1rpjp69o1_500.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn just reading that chapter again..in shock. How will this be pulled off? You're oda how do you make taking down a yonkou look believable? Anybody?

Same way he made taking down CP9 believable after they bodied the absolute shit out of the Straw Hats multiple times. All in a span of one night.

Yeah this arc is gonna be pretty hard to predict. There's so much on the table.

• Rescuing Sanji
  • Big Mom's intentions with the wedding, the Poneglyphs, her backstory etc.
  • Vinsmokes, their history, connection to the WG, and Sanji's means of escape
  • Ceasar Clown
  • Bege's True Plans
  • Jinbei, the Fishman Pirates, and him leaving Big Mom
  • Pekoms and Pedro Backstory
  • Brook's Backstory

Lotta shit that will probably tie together in some twist of revelation.

Yeah this arc is gonna be pretty hard to predict. There's so much on the table.

• Rescuing Sanji
  • Big Mom's intentions with the wedding, the Poneglyphs, her backstory etc.
  • Vinsmokes, their history, connection to the WG, and Sanji's means of escape
  • Ceasar Clown
  • Bege's True Plans
  • Jinbei, the Fishman Pirates, and him leaving Big Mom
  • Pekoms and Pedro Backstory
  • Brook's Backstory

Lotta shit that will probably tie together in some twist of revelation.
Remember when a few of us said this arc would be short...haha foolish we were

Xux

My prediction: Sanji'll beat a commander, Sanji'll feed Big Mom to calm one of her rampages and get the keys, the crew'll escape, and, once they get to Wano, Zoro'll've beaten one of Kaido's commanders.

Luffy's Awakening will end up making him into Bellamy, where he can spring around a battlefield and attack.

I can't predict this arc at all beyond Nami being the main catalyst to getting them off Whole Cake. I do think it'll make Luffy and gang realize they underestimated emperors and they promised to never get wiped out like at Sabaody ever again. So I predict a quick retreat but as far as Kaido is concerned I don't know.

I suspect we'll see some serious usage of Brook's fruit here because it's got to have some crazy interactions with Big Mom's.

Luffy's Awakening will end up making him into Bellamy, where he can spring around a battlefield and attack.

I suspect we'll see some serious usage of Brook's fruit here because it's got to have some crazy interactions with Big Mom's.
I wanna believe in Brook I do..but Idk if he gets captured or something I'll be pretty mad lol. he's been nami and chopper tier since the new world

Squishy3

It'd be pretty good if Brook somehow got forced to play Mama's game but after he won he says

"Even if you won I've got nothing to give you... because I'm already dead! Yohohohohohoho"

Can it be as long as Dresrossa? If you think about how the crew has been divided, maybe Oda is going for something similar with Zou as the halfway point.

Hoping for a Kinemon teamup personally. But yeah, Zoro vs the Shogun would be mad hype.
If I'm being honest and this is gonna be harsh. I love dressrosa 2nd fav arc but I can't see myself liking this arc even with the huge sanji focus if it goes on as long as dressrosa. Nami,chopper and Brook aren't interesting enough and badass enough to carry this arc the way luffy,zoro,robin,franky and usopp did on dressrosa. Unless oda pulls a 180 and stops making Brook nami and chopper some punks than we can get somewhere. Luffy,sanji,carrot,jimbe and pedro I'm not worried about tho

If this arc was going to split focus between the current crew and the ones on Zou we probably would have seen it by now. Biggest hint that this arc isn't going to be incredibly long.

cntr

Banned
Dressrosa was the introduction arc of the Strawhat Fleet divisions, that's why it was so long. Wholecake Island will be shorter.

If I'm being honest and this is gonna be harsh. I love dressrosa 2nd fav arc but I can't see myself liking this arc even with the huge sanji focus if it goes on as long as dressrosa. Nami,chopper and Brook aren't interesting enough and badass enough to carry this arc the way luffy,zoro,robin,franky and usopp did on dressrosa. Unless oda pulls a 180 and stops making Brook nami and chopper some punks than we can get somewhere. Luffy,sanji,carrot,jimbe and pedro I'm not worried about tho
Nah, I'd argue that Robin Franky and Zoro added virtually nothing to Dresrossa as an arc. Usopp definitely, cause he unlocked Haki and the whole God thing. The others? They didn't do much and their characters never progressed at all. I think the 180 thing is what we want, and what Oda should really do. I'm worried because adding so many characters like Carrot and Pedro detracts from the spotlight on the actual strawhats who desperately need some development. Like, Carrot and Pedro will need backstories and character moments too, now.

Dressrosa was the introduction arc of the Strawhat Fleet divisions, that's why it was so long. Wholecake Island will be shorter.
That's the assumption, but I'm doubting it more and more with each new chapter not really exploring any of the above stuff we have to get through this arc. Oda keeps piling on new plot points and characters.

If this arc was going to split focus between the current crew and the ones on Zou we probably would have seen it by now. Biggest hint that this arc isn't going to be incredibly long.
I meant that Dresrossa might be like a Part one and WCI like a Part two with Zou in the middle.

Theres..
Jinbe
The poneglphy
Vinsmoke history
Sanji backstory
Carrot and chopper are now trapped
Lola and the vivre card
-Luffys already fighting a commander
Capones a factor

This arc Aint ending soon

Nah, I'd argue that Robin Franky and Zoro added virtually nothing to Dresrossa as an arc. Usopp definitely, cause he unlocked Haki and the whole God thing. The others? They didn't do much and their characters never progressed at all. I think the 180 thing is what we want, and what Oda should really do. I'm worried because adding so many characters like Carrot and Pedro detracts from the spotlight on the actual strawhats who desperately need some development. Like, Carrot and Pedro will need backstories and character moments too, now.

That's the assumption, but I'm doubting it more and more with each new chapter not really exploring any of the above stuff we have to get through this arc. Oda keeps piling on new plot points and characters.

I meant that Dresrossa might be like a Part one and WCI like a Part two with Zou in the middle.

Kinda weird to say as we're in the midst of an arc that sheds new light on Sanji. Characters don't have to progress every arc.

Kinda weird to say as we're in the midst of an arc that sheds new light on Sanji. Characters don't have to progress every arc.
Yeah the arc is just getting started, you're right. We'll see what happens when it ends. I'd argue character progression is what this series really lacks tbh. Not having characters progress every arc isn't a good thing.

One Piece has oodles of character development but not much progression. I'm fine with that. Luffy being completely serious and not being an impatient fucker wouldn't be as fun. Luffy's talent for doing things before thinking them through results in an adventure with a lot of unpredictable moments such as Impel Down -> Marineford. Would that part be nearly as fun with a Luffy that was more cautious? Fuck no. Also, I like that One Piece has a slow burn in progression. For example, Usppp wants to be the bravest man on the sea but is a coward. But the thing is, he often has some of the most brave moments in the series - burning the WG flag without a moments thought for example. And it helps give a taste of what's to come (hopefully). I think too much progression would alter the format and I think OP's format is perfect as is. Story and character wise my only problem is treatment of female characters and (occasionally) the okama.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I'm fine with One Piece's characters not changing much. Only a few characters really needed it, like Robin loosening up after Eines Lobby.

Same way he made taking down CP9 believable after they bodied the absolute shit out of the Straw Hats multiple times. All in a span of one night.

Eh, that's not a good comparison.
CP9 weren't depicted as being unbeatable nor were they hyped as the strongest characters in the world.

Yeah the arc is just getting started, you're right. We'll see what happens when it ends. I'd argue character progression is what this series really lacks tbh. Not having characters progress every arc isn't a good thing.

I think you might be thinking of "character development". But it's not always necessary for every character to develop in order for them to be interesting.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just love how this is a character-centric arc. Water 7 and EL were my favs because of that.

Well, technically, every arc focuses on a character. Alabasta = Vivi and Kohza, Jaya = Cricket, Skypiea = Wiper and co. (also badass Norland/Calgara flashback), War Arc = Ace, etc.

Outside of the intro arcs each character usually just tags along, which is fine. That's what the SH crew is, like a force of nature that disrupts the (not so great) status quo. Robin's story was unique in that we got most of it SO FAR after she joined, unlike the others. Then Luffy had a surprise "real" backstory that was awesome too, and he was just as much of a focus as Ace in that arc.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's rare for the Straw Hats to be the driving force behind the plot outside of their intro arcs, and it's refreshing when they are. Sanji arc is great so far.

Debirudog

I think it's great Oda is focusing on more of the characters that didn't really do much in the later arcs. Nami was always a great character in the early parts of One Piece but she tends to get overshadowed by the big boys.

I think it's great Oda is focusing on more of the characters that didn't really do much in the later arcs. Nami was always a great character in the early parts of One Piece but she tends to get overshadowed by the big boys.

As a massive Nami fan, I'm really really liking this arc because of this. I wasn't liking how she had been reduced to eye candy and nothing more. And now she's the same Nami I fell in love with. She's always been my favorite after Luffy, so I'm glad she's finally getting some love from Oda that isn't weird sexual stuff.

cntr

Banned
Robin's and (to a lesser degree) Franky's backstories are interesting because they're the only ones tied directly into the ultimate arc of the series, the Void Century. Everybody else has a smaller, more personal backstory.

Oxn

Robin's and (to a lesser degree) Franky's backstories are interesting because they're the only ones tied directly into the ultimate arc of the series, the Void Century. Everybody else has a smaller, more personal backstory.

Errr? Im sure Luffy is tied somehow with his D name.

We actually dunno much about Zoro either. Hes as much of a mystery as sanji was, though i doubt he has a backstory that matters in the overall scheme of things.

Brooks past will also shed alot of light on things,

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like Zoro just being some really strong guy with no historical relevance.

bjork

As a massive Nami fan, I'm really really liking this arc because of this. I wasn't liking how she had been reduced to eye candy and nothing more. And now she's the same Nami I fell in love with. She's always been my favorite after Luffy, so I'm glad she's finally getting some love from Oda that isn't weird sexual stuff.

I like how she's the moral compass for whichever members she's grouped with, at least until there's money involved. I think I would've liked Dressrosa a bit more if she had been around, even just for an occasional cut away.

I like Zoro just being some really strong guy with no historical relevance.

Mihawk killed his parents when their ship interrupted his nap. This has all been one long setup.

Ehhhhh nani!?
Yeah dude. I'm talking about moments like when Luffy realized how weak he was after losing Ace, or when Luffy faced Fujitora and said "If I can't beat you I'll never be the Pirate King". Moments where the characters are aware of their own progression and development. Usopp unlocking Haki was an amazing moment for me with the "Just keep going and don't look back" line. Moments like that which intersperse the constant gags and character tropes. Luffy is still 99% an idiot, Usopp 99% a coward, Nami 99% mischievous etc.

Not saying that is horrible in any way, after all that's who the characters are, but I'm saying these characters should naturally change over time and we should be seeing the above moments more. Especially after a two year timeskip.

One Piece has oodles of character development but not much progression. I'm fine with that. Luffy being completely serious and not being an impatient fucker wouldn't be as fun. Luffy's talent for doing things before thinking them through results in an adventure with a lot of unpredictable moments such as Impel Down -> Marineford. Would that part be nearly as fun with a Luffy that was more cautious? Fuck no. Also, I like that One Piece has a slow burn in progression. For example, Usppp wants to be the bravest man on the sea but is a coward. But the thing is, he often has some of the most brave moments in the series - burning the WG flag without a moments thought for example. And it helps give a taste of what's to come (hopefully). I think too much progression would alter the format and I think OP's format is perfect as is. Story and character wise my only problem is treatment of female characters and (occasionally) the okama.
I agree and disagree with this. It definitely is a slow burn, and I'm sure this is something we can only look back on and reflect once the series is over in 5000 years.
That being said, I don't think it has to be a slow burn. Imagine how much development we'd get if some members of the crew would actually fucking talk to each other. Imagine a conversation about history between Robin and Brook? Did we ever get a proper resolution to how Franky and Usopp played out after Water 7/Enies Lobby? What about Sanji and Zoro having more moments like at Water 7 with the Usopp thing and Thriller Bark with the Kuma thing? There's so much potential for this kind of stuff.

Also agreed on the female and okama stuff for sure.

I think you might be thinking of "character development". But it's not always necessary for every character to develop in order for them to be interesting.
Yeah the terms are synonymous to me. And you're right, otherwise I wouldn't be here :p
But yeah, the above scenes would be hella cool and would make me appreciate the story so much more than I already do, despite any expense to it being a shorter read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom