• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
mLaQx8y.gif

Big One

Banned
You know I was wondering what could happen in Wano by and large, and I sort of think Wano might end up being a Marineford-style arc. As in it's very war-centric, though we might have some vital information about the Void Century revealed here. I think the only backstory we're going to get is one of Kaidou, and maybe one for Kidd. I also think the arc will be Zoro's arc, kind of like how Whole Cake Island is currently Sanji's arc.

I can kind of see the climax in my head. Luffy, Law, and Kidd (possibly Big Mom too) work together to take down Kaidou, but before Kaidou's final breath, the Blackbeard Pirates appear out of nowhere and take over. Blackbeard extracts Kaidou's Devil Fruit and consumes it (getting the world's strongest Zoan fruit). Luffy tries to fight Blackbeard despite his injuries, only to be stopped by the Revolutionaries (maybe Monkey D. Dragon) who were following the Blackbeard Pirates. This is how Kaidou will "die" as he so desires I feel as well as establishing that the Revolutionaries aren't down yet despite Baltigo being ransacked.

Then move onto a Reverie arc (this could happen before Wano), then Elbaf.

I'm curious to see how Big Mom's commanders stack up against Whitebeard's top people. I mean, could Luffy fight off pre-timeskip Jozu now?
They're probably a lot stronger than we had the credit of seeing. Jozu and Marco were holding their own with the Admirals, and so was Ace for a little bit. I'd feel pretty comfortable going with: Vice Admiral<Yonkou Commander (Cracker, Jack, Marco) <Admiral<Yonkou

I get the feeling some of Blackbeard and Shanks' commanders are stronger though. We'll see once they actually fight.

Really puts Weeble's strength into perspective if he's single handedly taking out Whitebeard's former commanders.
Pre sure he only took out subordinate crews so far.

You know I was wondering what could happen in Wano by and large, and I sort of think Wano might end up being a Marineford-style arc. As in it's very war-centric, though we might have some vital information about the Void Century revealed here. I think the only backstory we're going to get is one of Kaidou, and maybe one for Kidd. I also think the arc will be Zoro's arc, kind of like how Whole Cake Island is currently Sanji's arc.

I can kind of see the climax in my head. Luffy, Law, and Kidd (possibly Big Mom too) work together to take down Kaidou, but before Kaidou's final breath, the Blackbeard Pirates appear out of nowhere and take over. Blackbeard extracts Kaidou's Devil Fruit and consumes it (getting the world's strongest Zoan fruit). Luffy tries to fight Blackbeard despite his injuries, only to be stopped by the Revolutionaries (maybe Monkey D. Dragon) who were following the Blackbeard Pirates. This is how Kaidou will "die" as he so desires I feel as well as establishing that the Revolutionaries aren't down yet despite Baltigo being ransacked.

Then move onto a Reverie arc (this could happen before Wano), then Elbaf.
I agree with basically everything except for the backstory bit. I can see us getting a condensed backstory revolving around Oden that covers all of the samurai characters we've seen leading into the current events. On top of that, yeah definitely Kaido. Also I'm almost 100% that the Reverie is going to happen right after WCI is done as a transition into Wano. I'm not so sure we'll actually have any Strawhats there to witness it
aside from Vivi.
. I can see it being a side thing just like how we see the Elder Stars, then the main characters find out what happens in the newspaper.

We'll see though. WCI is still so unpredictable.

Xux

I was thinking that Big Mom's ability might be the only thing that can kill Kaidou and she (or Blackbeard) uses it against him at some point.

Maybe...Kaidou wants this to happen and maybe offers to trade Poneglyphs so someone on his crew can become king. Maybe if Blackbeard does it, Avaro takes over the Beast Pirates and they ally with the Blackbeards.

After a short hiatus, in which I binged a crap ton of comics, I'm finally caught up on One Piece.

Not much to say, with Oda, I feel like I know the baseline level of quality to expect and it's always nice to fall back on 8-10 One Piece quality chapters to read.

I quite like where Sanji's part of the story is heading. That's one mean family. And it kind of caught me off guard how easily Luffy got bodied in Gear 4.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Color Walks are so good. SO good. And this one has a T-rex barber in a top hat. Holy shit.

It's all about patience I wish I would've waited on the boxes. Same thing with the English dub DVDs instead of buying the collections I'm stuck getting the voyages and refuse to switch because it'll look weird on my shelf lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I stopped buying One Piece DVDs when I realized I could just sub to Funimations streaming service for quite a bit less. They put up One Piece FAST.

I still own most of it though from someone donating it to me a few years back.

Back to the manga for a second I love the cover for Volume 80.

dEyCWbY.jpg

Out in November!

Do the 3 volumes go all the way to the current volume? I remember getting every single one individually BUT I think those 3 collection boxes are a good way to go

The third collection goes up to 70 and isn't out for another month. Viz is up to volume 79.

Yea, they go pretty far for what I plan on buying right now.

I think I'll go check out my local Barnes & Nobles and see if they have the triple volume packs for sale, otherwise, I'll order the until volume 23.

It's a really insane value for something of this quality, speaking as someone who reads comics. Comic trades run you anywhere from $8 to $11 for 4-5 issues. This is giving me like 3 volumes worth of issues for $6-7 on Amazon.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I remember reading that the three-volume packs are really garbage quality, thin paper, etc.

Been waitin for this Nov volume to make my next purchase, I only buy volumes for completed arcs. Dunno how ready I am to go through dumb ol Dressrosa AGAIN tho, having read and watched it so recently. This is the first time since I started buying volumes that a full arc wasn't available to buy, only started a couple Christmases ago with the box set.

I remember reading that the three-volume packs are really garbage quality, thin paper, etc.

Been waitin for this Nov volume to make my next purchase, I only buy volumes for completed arcs. Dunno how ready I am to go through dumb ol Dressrosa AGAIN tho, having read and watched it so recently. This is the first time since I started buying volumes that a full arc wasn't available to buy, only started a couple Christmases ago with the box set.

Ah fuck.

I'm definitely going to have to go check them out in person first then.

RomanceDawn

What a nice chapter, as always I really enjoyed it.

- I'm in the same boat with many others about the wedding being for Lucky Roux(Roo?). Yeah there are a few more of Shanks' mates that aren't seen but he is the only other prominent one. The island does bring to mind Koala's home town but her island had a breed of fat cactus so I doubt they are one in the same.

- With the end of this story I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Vergo, Monet, Brown Beard or Smiley showing up next. Who ever it is I'm certain he, it or she will cross paths with the others.

- Cracker's true design is really cool! Love those eyes and that hair! His bounty situation is a lot like Franky's with the armor getting the photo instead of the users actual face. I'd like to see how General Franky matches up to Cracker's armor, seems like it would be a fun match.

- I know some people had concern about Luffy's busters seemingly multiplying before launching his punches as apposed to the usual gatlings being so fast it only appears that there are more arms but I'm certain its the same idea. Only now Luffy is throwing his X-Busters at such a short distance they don't go anywhere only appear to multiply.

- Can't wait to see what else Nami accomplishes with that Vivre card

- I want to say that Chopper should be weak at the moment but if Luffy was catching fake Namis, Carrots, etc for a long time during the night I suppose Chopper's 3 hour recovery time from Monster Point has already passed. I love that he is asserting himself as the "superior" with his big idea to use Brûlée's power against her. I'm so excited to see what they come up with! I can't imagine those ball and chains will be too much of a problem for either Carrot or Chopper to deal with. And look there goes that big black cat on top of the house again. A chapter ago you could only make out a spec of that cats image, I hope it becomes a prominent character in the coming chapters.

- Brook and Pedro sneaking around the castle seems like it's going to be so fun.

- Ah Big Mom and the exchange of gifts! I can already see some of Fishman Island's treasure being lumped in with the gifts for the Vinsmokes and that bomb causing some internal conflict with Judge and the rest of Germa! And I love that Big Mom seems to almost hope that the Straw Hats actually make it to her. Back at Fishman Island she seemed to be intrigued that Luffy would stand up to her in such a way and she just may be the type to appreciate someone like Luffy and would love a bit of a challenge.

- Wow a trembling Sanji. Yonji, Reiji and Judge didn't have this affect on Sanji but these 2 guys do? Man we are in for a great flash back and almost certainly a few epic fights revolving around Sanji. Man we are in for some amazing character development!

What a nice chapter, as always I really enjoyed it.

- I'm in the same boat with many others about the wedding being for Lucky Roux(Roo?). Yeah there are a few more of Shanks' mates that aren't seen but he is the only other prominent one. The island does bring to mind Koala's home town but her island had a breed of fat cactus so I doubt they are one in the same.

- With the end of this story I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Vergo, Monet, Brown Beard or Smiley showing up next. Who ever it is I'm certain he, it or she will cross paths with the others.

- Cracker's true design is really cool! Love those eyes and that hair! His bounty situation is a lot like Franky's with the armor getting the photo instead of the users actual face. I'd like to see how General Franky matches up to Cracker's armor, seems like it would be a fun match.

- I know some people had concern about Luffy's busters seemingly multiplying before launching his punches as apposed to the usual gatlings being so fast it only appears that there are more arms but I'm certain its the same idea. Only now Luffy is throwing his X-Busters at such a short distance they don't go anywhere only appear to multiply.

- Can't wait to see what else Nami accomplishes with that Vivre card

- I want to say that Chopper should be weak at the moment but if Luffy was catching fake Namis, Carrots, etc for a long time during the night I suppose Chopper's 3 hour recovery time from Monster Point has already passed. I love that he is asserting himself as the "superior" with his big idea to use Brûlée's power against her. I'm so excited to see what they come up with! I can't imagine those ball and chains will be too much of a problem for either Carrot or Chopper to deal with. And look there goes that big black cat on top of the house again. A chapter ago you could only make out a spec of that cats image, I hope it becomes a prominent character in the coming chapters.

- Brook and Pedro sneaking around the castle seems like it's going to be so fun.

- Ah Big Mom and the exchange of gifts! I can already see some of Fishman Island's treasure being lumped in with the gifts for the Vinsmokes and that bomb causing some internal conflict with Judge and the rest of Germa! And I love that Big Mom seems to almost hope that the Straw Hats actually make it to her. Back at Fishman Island she seemed to be intrigued that Luffy would stand up to her in such a way and she just may be the type to appreciate someone like Luffy and would love a bit of a challenge.

- Wow a trembling Sanji. Yonji, Reiji and Judge didn't have this affect on Sanji but these 2 guys do? Man we are in for a great flash back and almost certainly a few epic fights revolving around Sanji. Man we are in for some amazing character development!

Love reading your thoughts RD.

-Who do you think he's being married to? A buddy of mine suggested Lola, would be a pretty funny twist.

-I highly doubt they are still alive and hold any relevance to the story, but obviously Oda is going to Oda. Smiley died for sure since we got that panel of the transferring of fruits. Brownbeard is in jail, and Vergo/Monet are buried. I've said it before, but out of anyone involving Doflamingo's crew, I think Senor Pink is the most likely to have a backstory after his bonding with Franky and Russian. Otherwise, an update on what the Alliance is up to seems like another probable cover story if they're going to get involved at Wano as some are theorizing. Excited either way!

-Cracker Docking!

-Yeah it's definitely speed.

-If anything, it seems they'll go undetected for now. Hopefully Nami will use them to get some info.

-Whoa! Just noticed the cat and that panel in general. So is this the cheschire cat of this arc? Why show the house in general since they're in the mirror world?

-Dying for some Brook exposition

-I'm kind of wondering why the bomb hasn't even been discovered yet, since there was a tea party (and possibly others) quite a while before this one. It's not like the fishmen are involved in this wedding particularly, so I'm curious as to how Oda will explain the discovery. Big Mom vs Germa would be a hella interesting setup though. I can't see the Strawhats fighting both of them, but it being a chaotic three-way would be really cool. Wonder if Germa can hold their own against Big Mom?

-Yeah I was surprised by it, but Ichiji in particular seems to be the most sinister. Niji just seems like a rash, aggressive asshole. Back when they were first shown, Ichiji said "I can't wait to see him", so to me it seems like Oda is setting him up to be a calm, collected type of antagonist who hides what he wants/feels. From the flashback, he seemed to be the one orchestrating the bullying on the basis that Sanji was worthless, so I'm hoping for an epic "I wanna live" moment between Sanji and Luffy where the latter reminds him just how far he's come and how he's on the crew of the pirate king.

Can't wait!

Xux

Jeeze, I totally forgot about that bomb.

That awkward moment when you've recently caught up and then want to re-read the series, though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Those subtitles were always a dumb decision on Viz's part. It was going to bite them in the ass sooner or later.

I never understood the point of that caption.
In the early volume releases we got this cartoony red "One Piece" that looked really out of place.
EDIT: On closer inspection, the number in the corner and the big red Eiichiro Oda also look out of place. I'm glad Viz has stopped using that style and kept the covers of recent series as clean as possible. Shame One Piece still has to get that...
One-piece-cover.jpg

I mean, I know it's to cover up the Japanese text there but why not just edit it out entirely? Why need that red font or to list what arc it is? I can't imagine we'd get a "NEP ECE" scenario like the Japanese did, unless the person that sees it is really fucking stupid.

RomanceDawn

Love reading your thoughts RD.

-Who do you think he's being married to? A buddy of mine suggested Lola, would be a pretty funny twist.

Thanks!

I don't have the slightest idea.

-I highly doubt they are still alive and hold any relevance to the story, but obviously Oda is going to Oda. Smiley died for sure since we got that panel of the transferring of fruits. Brownbeard is in jail, and Vergo/Monet are buried. I've said it before, but out of anyone involving Doflamingo's crew, I think Senor Pink is the most likely to have a backstory after his bonding with Franky and Russian. Otherwise, an update on what the Alliance is up to seems like another probable cover story if they're going to get involved at Wano as some are theorizing. Excited either way!

Oh but this is One Piece! Almost everybody is alive! Smiley for sure. Caesar's relationship with Smiley was on going and we know he planned to see Smiley again by his words as well as making sure the apples recovered the devil fruit spirit.

I feel like each alliance is too front and center for the cover story and all that will just be fleshed out once we actually get there but we'll see.

-Whoa! Just noticed the cat and that panel in general. So is this the cheschire cat of this arc? Why show the house in general since they're in the mirror world?

In the last chapter you can see that cat on top of the house but from really far away, it's just a speck. On the back of the house is a big ol' mirror stuck in the side of the mountain. I figured that was Brûlée's house so that establishing panel pretty much confirms it to me.

-I'm kind of wondering why the bomb hasn't even been discovered yet, since there was a tea party (and possibly others) quite a while before this one. It's not like the fishmen are involved in this wedding particularly, so I'm curious as to how Oda will explain the discovery. Big Mom vs Germa would be a hella interesting setup though. I can't see the Strawhats fighting both of them, but it being a chaotic three-way would be really cool. Wonder if Germa can hold their own against Big Mom?

Oda might go a really simple route and just say the treasure was stored all this time and only now will some of it be used as a wedding gift. Maybe the last tea party or two didn't require the exchange of gifts.

I feel like Capone has already put some of his big double crossing ideas into motion and he will be Big Mom's biggest problem during the arc. Narrative wise Big Mom just can't go down right now, Kaidou is the one with all the set up, amassing several nations and the full Straw Hat crew against him. Big Mom and her main forces being food poisoned(?) and temporarily putting them out of order for a while gives Luffy the chance to save the day, earn respect and get his mates back.

Now I do think Luffy will confront Big Mom, punches will be thrown but its too soon for the entire new world to be put into disarray again. There won't be any conclusive empire ending fights with her. So an internal conflict within the Totland empire that the Straw Hats solve because they like Lola, they like Pekoms, etc seems to be the most likely outcome to me.

Big Mom does bad things but I don't get a sense that she is evil and oppressive like previous villains. She just makes sure "business' is taken care of. Plus she almost seems to like that Luffy had the audacity to challenge her the way he did and seems to want him to make it to the wedding. She already has a hint of respect for Luffy and I bet she is actually wishing that Luffy would make it through her forces and not fail like the other Super Novas.

Red Fire

Urouge >>> Luffy > Zorro = Law > X Drake > Basil Hawkins > Killer > Jewelry Bonny >>>>>>>>>>>>> Capone Bege > Scratchman Apoo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eustass Kid

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do people still do "new crew member" speculation each arc, and if so, who is it this time? :3

Do people still do "new crew member" speculation each arc, and if so, who is it this time? :3
Carrot easily

Urouge >>> Luffy > Zorro = Law > X Drake > Basil Hawkins > Killer > Jewelry Bonny >>>>>>>>>>>>> Capone Bege > Scratchman Apoo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eustass Kid
Why is zoro equal to law, law is better. Why is apoo under killer,basil,drake and killer. What is this nonsense

Genryu

Banned
Who would win in a fight, Luffy or Yamcha?

If you would have said almost anyone other than Yamcha, I would have gone with them.

But Yamcha is in that special level of loser where I think basically anyone could beat him, even a child.

Edit: For real though, he has a statue of his defining moment.
figure-2.jpg

Xux

Why is Yamcha so weak? That's such a boring plot thing; just make all this characters that were fought as arc villains or whatever and then drop them all because escalation? Yawn.

One Piece has that but at least there're jobber villaons for the weaker crew members to fight.

Or maybe there are in DB, I dunno. DB was a fun show that I wanna revisit but DBZ and Super are kinda boring.

Why is Yamcha so weak? That's such a boring plot thing; just make all this characters that were fought as arc villains or whatever and then drop them all because escalation? Yawn.

One Piece has that but at least there're jobber villaons for the weaker crew members to fight.

Or maybe there are in DB, I dunno. DB was a fun show that I wanna revisit but DBZ and Super are kinda boring.
I was told that those characters had their time and it's time for new characters to shine. True story straight outta the dbs thread. Must not read other shounen

That wasn't even the biggest problem with characters like that imo. The big issue was how irrelevant they become in the world of Dragon Ball. One Piece atleast attempts to subvert this with most characters. Even if they aren't powerful, they still fell like an actual part or the world.

Yamcha just ended up being a nobody.

Red Fire

Why is zoro equal to law, law is better. Why is apoo under killer,basil,drake and killer. What is this nonsense

We haven't seen a serious fight from Zorro yet so it is hard to judge his strength and even then the difference between him and Law wouldn't be that big i think. Zorro is OP.

And Apoo is just garbage

Be happy i didn't include Blackbeard because he is top tier garbage :D

#teamdragon

We haven't seen a serious fight from Zorro yet so it is hard to judge his strength and even then the difference between him and Law wouldn't be that big i think. Zorro is OP.

And Apoo is just garbage

#teamdragon

zoro v pica wasn't serious?

also you have terrible taste, Scratchmen Apoo is incredible

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The anime ruined Zoro vs. Pica. So many scenes took five million years to happen that Pica's face triggers severe trauma for me.

the whole dressrosa arc just dragged on way too long in the anime (the manga too, kind of)

there were so many reused animations during that arc, i bet you could make multiple episodes with that time

Kater

Banned
3f5d3430f814d7f7d4e00df935345c03.jpg

Dunno if this has been posted before. Amazing fanart, just wanted to share that.

The anime ruined Zoro vs. Pica. So many scenes took five million years to happen that Pica's face triggers severe trauma for me.

lmao, yeah. That fight could have ended a lot sooner and Dressrosa wouldn't have dragged on for so long because of that.Without Pica in the picture Luffy and Law would have had an easier time getting to the castle's roof.

Red Fire

zoro v pica wasn't serious?

also you have terrible taste, Scratchmen Apoo is incredible

Not at all, Zorro beat him easily. He just played with Pica like a cat plays with a mouse before killing it.

Apoo is so shitty even as a musician his song (against Kizaru) sucked hard.

And Apoo is just garbage

#teamdragon
I thought you were #TeamBlackbeard!!

The betrayal is real..tho I guess it's too be expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom