• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shounen? Not much honestly,

I like One Piece a lot obviously. It's my favorite comic book series and love it for its spirit of adventure.

I like Dragon Ball. Loving Super.

Uh, I love sports manga. Like Cross Game and Slam Dunk (which I'm re-reading).
Noice picks, idk I'd say check it out. It's a small-scale shounen and the characters are fairly interesting. The plot is pretty average in my opinion, but has the potential for some serious world building which is my favourite thing about OP.

Like a sports shounen there are several competitions and rivalries if you like that kind of stuff.

You know I'm not sure what it is with some people and Sanji. His character isn't written and was never intended to be the completely cool straight arrow Zoro. Sanji's situations take comedic turns in his quest for glory with him sometimes getting egg on his face, thats the trope he follows. He isn't as silly as Luffy with his extremities and he isn't as serious as Zoro.

Though I've seen the same anger turned towards Luffy as well when something silly happens to him. Maybe it was just Bleach in the system. Knowing that the last few years were at hand maybe people just wanted as much ultra cool serious garbage as much as possible.

Sanji has a really cool and visually distinct fighting style, it doesn't define him and his character in the same way that Zoro's swordsmanship defines him. Sometimes it seems like all people want to see is Sanji's feet.

The only reason I think Brown Beard got away was because of the distraction Doflamingo caused when he arrived at Punk Hazard. Brown Beard was allowed to leave to find his men that were left behind and at that point Doffy shows up to eF things up. So while not confirmed I just think Brown Beard got left behind to get the heck out of there while Smoker was down.

With Vergo and Monet I understand the hesitation and my following statements are not an attempt to convince anyone but just to share my interpretation of the scene.

Vergo being chopped to pieces is for the most part a non-issue beyond the fact that he was stuck to a railing. Law's cutting abilities don't actually harm the victim and their bodies function completely normally even while separated. He was caught in a massive explosion and well you know... One Piece.

The hierarchy will always be:

1 - Fist
2 - Sword
3 - Bullet
4 - Cannon
11 - Explosion

I'm joking but we all know how explosives work in this series. Characters outside of flash backs become cartoonishly black and nothing happens after that.

With Monet it's a bit trickier and its mainly because of her situation that I feel like her story isn't over yet.

Caesar stabs the heart, we see blood, Monet faints. From that very specific angle it looks like a direct hit. My argument is that because of the profile view of the stabbing it was only intended to look like a direct hit. Monet's heart at most gets grazed, with the majority of that blood just coming from the jelly cube. The grazing is enough to jostle her, especially after getting taken out by Tashigi earlier. Then we see Caesar later with the icicle stuck in the ground...

So with Caesar's last ounce of strength before passing out he stabs the heart, takes the icicle out and triumphantly stabs the ground, enough so that the icicle is protruding from the ground? I don't buy it. My guess is he simply missed his direct hit, grazed the heart, spurted a little blood, stabbed the ground with that momentum and just passed out.

Of course that is my interpretation and it can be argued every which way till Sunday. Story wise though there seems to be more left to Monet's character. Vincent Van Gogh was a painter inspired by Claude Monet(among others) and he painted A Starry Night. Monet by her name and her swirly glasses resembling the painting A Starry Night tells me Oda had them in mind when designing her. Before Monet meets Law she is just a normal person with Logia powers, we see on her desk there are many books one of which is cut off but reads in english ASTRO. After meeting with Law it is implied but a near certainty that Monet was given her bird body thanks to Law's powers. Astro, astronomy, a starry night, and well who else has bird wings but the native moon people who migrated to the blue and white seas? Monet wants to go to the moon.

Then we discover outside of the story that Sugar and Monet are sisters? Monet "dies" a day before the events of Dressrosa and there is absolutely zero mention of her fate by Sugar? That is going to be elaborated on mark my words.

Monet still has more to offer the story.

Sorry for the late reply, RD.

Not going to debate about the whole heart thing, since to me it was fairly conclusive but like you say it can be argued on forever (which it has been). I think the explosion thing is in combination with everything else. Even supposing Monet wasn't killed from the stabbing, she was still mortally wounded from having her heart pierced, so much so she faints. Vergo was cut into pieces, and I'm sorry but I see now way for him to re-assemble himself (something we haven't seen at all from Law using his powers) on his own.

One+Piece+Review+Chapter+694+Doflamingo+apologizes+to+Vergo.jpg

^Combine the above with an explosion? It would be a downright silly deus-ex maxhina imo. I don't think there's any way Oda could explain his way out of this one aside from some bullshit interference or they all magically survive the explosion. If it's the latter, then it's worse then Pell since at best he was banged up and didn't have his heart pierced or body cut into pieces.

Fair enough on Brownbeard. We'll see.

Interesting points about Monet. I am curious to know her conviction and the source of her loyalty to Doflamingo (she said he will be the Pirate King). Since Doflamingo is likely coming back, it is possible. There's just no plot point I can think of that causes her to be relevant again. At most I could see her surviving and trying to break Doffy out of prison, but that would be the exact same thing as the Alabasta cover story.

Idk, I think you can say this about a lot of potential side characters that haven't and will likely not make it into the story.

We will see, though! I'm only against it because of how ridiculous it would be for them to survive. More so than anything prior.

ckohler

Now that we know what the Homies are (pieces of souls setting into objects/animals) it explains all of these living things with faces... except the Sun. There is at least one panel showing the Sun has a face. Did Oda goof or what?

I think that ad is the first time I've seen Law smile since arriving on Dressrosa.

re: Monet and Vergo. I think they're done. Dead or otherwise, they basically existed to hype up Doffy's crew, and with that out of the way, I think at most we'll get a cover story of Brownbeard starting a freak show.

Anteater

Sanji's brothers are pretty uninteresting characters, interms of design and personality. Interested to see the direction this will go though, Oda made them into a really huge organization, and then there's big mom to take care of, they can't possibly leave without bargaining unless they want Zeff dead, and they don't have anything to bargain with so far.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's been a while since we've seen Sanji be so chivalrous and honorable. Feels good.
Artificial beings, Germa really are advanced. That explains the intense loyalty.

Who's that dude on the cover?

WTF They are building Vergoes!!

That's Ryotsu from Kochikame, this week is the final chapter after 40 years.

cntr

Banned
I'm pretty sure I saw at least 6 different Nazi references in that one panel alone, plus "German SS"/"Germa 66" and the reference to the Neo-Nazi "88".

Would I like MHA?
Yes, but I'm a huge fanboy of the series. Seems likely to be the One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist of the current generation, in terms of writing and long-term quality.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So what do we think, are Sanji and his bros the prototypes in the cloning process? Thus their numerical designations?

Veelk

Banned
I like Sanji's family. They're a bit overly sentimental, but we do nazi groups treat him as appropriately as he deserves very often. Its hard to begrudge them anything now.

Though I wonder about the clone devices they have. We don't know quite how it works yet, but if they have those, why not just clone Sanji? Make him more obedient and stuff.

Yes, but I'm a huge fanboy of the series. Seems likely to be the One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist of the current generation, in terms of writing and long-term quality.
Really? That is extremely high praise, as I consider FMA to be one of the very best. In what way is it like it?

TheFlow

Banned
wait how are they nazis? memory is fuzzy on the past chapters.

also this chapter was awesome! when germa 66 get rekted it will be soooo good.

cntr

Banned
Really? That is extremely high praise, as I consider FMA to be one of the very best. In what way is it like it?
I'm mainly comparing the writing quality, but and there's more specific comparisons like the Western influence in the story and art style, focus on characters, and the tight pacing. But My Hero Academia doesn't have any gimmicks that distinguish it, it's just really well written. That's why I'm so confident it'll remain great.

Also,
the author is heavily Western influenced and young; so he treats the female characters as competent fighters and characters, and even gives them unique designs like the male characters get. There's still fanservice, but none of them exist only or mainly for fanservice. That's a huge bonus in my book.

The Kochikame tribute on the cover was touching. It even got me to feel somewhat emotional.

Boy, I don't think we've ever seen Sanji in a such a bad predicament right now.
If he disobeys, not only could he risk losing his hands, but there's the chance that the man who raised him like the father he never had could be murdered as well.

Even if they find a way to get the wristlets off, that doesn't get rid off the threat of Zeff getting assassinated all the way in East Blue.
This makes me think that we're going to see the complete and total annihilation of the Germa Kingdom in this arc.

Also, ATTACK OF THE CLONES!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Finally Sanji getting the development he deserved. What a messed up situation he is in though - this will be difficult to overcome.

Chapter should be out soon, but...
I'm not saying the Vinsmokes are nazis, but they are.

...well this was clear from the second they were introduced - Germany 66 and their whole spiel made it quite clear.

Ah of course! Sanji and the others are clones of Judge, with Reiju being the only natural born one. At the end of the arc we'll have a big fight on top of Metal Geaaaeh Germa Kingdom between Sanji (the inferior one) and Ichiji (the dominant one). There can be only one "Ji".

And honestly, all this time I've been comparing Germa 66 to InFamous 2s Vermack 88.

Ah of course! Sanji and the others are clones of Judge, with Reiju being the only natural born one. At the end of the arc we'll have a big fight on top of Metal Geaaaeh Germa Kingdom between Sanji (the inferior one) and Ichiji (the dominant one). There can be only one "Ji".

And honestly, all this time I've been comparing Germa 66 to InFamous 2s Vermack 88.

Pretty sure you have it backwards. Sanji is a natural born

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I wonder tho, being stripped of their right to participate in the reverie will bring them CLOSER to their ultimate goal? In what way does disassociation with the WG benefit them?

cntr

Banned
My guess is that the pod people are designed to not count as "living" by the rules of Big Mom's fruit, and can have souls implanted in them.

Edit: Also, nice touch with the eyebrow direction.

POP1Kwv.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder tho, being stripped of their right to participate in the reverie will bring them CLOSER to their ultimate goal? In what way does disassociation with the WG benefit them?

Maybe there's some restriction on what they can do, or where they can go, due to their association.

I'm guessing their goal is retaking the North Blue which is impossible for the time under WG law and not having Big Mom's backing.

Also, fuck Sanji's family. They're actually everything Sanji stands against. It'll be really nice to see him kick their asses.

I do wonder if Zeff and the Baratie are going to be brought to Whole Cake Island later this arc considering the threat made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom