• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fire

You lucky you like sanji I'd have to put the paws on you otherwise. Disrespecting the pirate king like that

P-p-p-p-pppirate king???

hqdefault.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still think Luffy will end up giving up his dream for an altruistic or simple reason that will make everyone make EHHHHHHHHHHH~~!? reaction faces

Turns out the Raftel treasure is something that'd be meaningless to Luffy/and or not fit in with the anti-government world that gets created or something

I still think Luffy will end up giving up his dream for an altruistic or simple reason that will make everyone make EHHHHHHHHHHH~~!? reaction faces

Turns out the Raftel treasure is something that'd be meaningless to Luffy/and or not fit in with the anti-government world that gets created or something
So it'll be an actual treasure like gold and stuff lol

Those subtitles were always a dumb decision on Viz's part. It was going to bite them in the ass sooner or later.
Yeeeee
Thanks!

I don't have the slightest idea.

-Oh but this is One Piece! Almost everybody is alive! Smiley for sure. Caesar's relationship with Smiley was on going and we know he planned to see Smiley again by his words as well as making sure the apples recovered the devil fruit spirit.

I feel like each alliance is too front and center for the cover story and all that will just be fleshed out once we actually get there but we'll see.

In the last chapter you can see that cat on top of the house but from really far away, it's just a speck. On the back of the house is a big ol' mirror stuck in the side of the mountain. I figured that was Brûlée's house so that establishing panel pretty much confirms it to me.

Oda might go a really simple route and just say the treasure was stored all this time and only now will some of it be used as a wedding gift. Maybe the last tea party or two didn't require the exchange of gifts.

I feel like Capone has already put some of his big double crossing ideas into motion and he will be Big Mom's biggest problem during the arc. Narrative wise Big Mom just can't go down right now, Kaidou is the one with all the set up, amassing several nations and the full Straw Hat crew against him. Big Mom and her main forces being food poisoned(?) and temporarily putting them out of order for a while gives Luffy the chance to save the day, earn respect and get his mates back.

Now I do think Luffy will confront Big Mom, punches will be thrown but its too soon for the entire new world to be put into disarray again. There won't be any conclusive empire ending fights with her. So an internal conflict within the Totland empire that the Straw Hats solve because they like Lola, they like Pekoms, etc seems to be the most likely outcome to me.

Big Mom does bad things but I don't get a sense that she is evil and oppressive like previous villains. She just makes sure "business' is taken care of. Plus she almost seems to like that Luffy had the audacity to challenge her the way he did and seems to want him to make it to the wedding. She already has a hint of respect for Luffy and I bet she is actually wishing that Luffy would make it through her forces and not fail like the other Super Novas.
Separating a quote is too annoying lol

-There's no way, Smiley is deeeead. It's heavily implied with the whole Devil Fruit transference thing. Where does the whole apple recovery thing happen? Do you mean that Smiley is going to be revived? Fair enough on the others, though. As for the alliance, I think it would be interesting. I imagine the next time we see them it'll be in the heat of the action where they'll "just know" Luffy needed them. Probably looking too much into it but if that's the case then we would be at the climax of whenever they pop up (Wano methinks), so it would be out of place to have the backstories pop up then. Idk, like I said would be fun.

-Yeah, "witch in the woods". Pretty cool.

-On OPP this week someone mentioned (forget who) that it would be funny if Sanji was the one to open it. The gag being that he knows what's in it. A wedding seems like a tea part on crack though, so it makes sense.

-Definitely agree on Big Mom not going down. It doesn't make sense. I do think there might be a small showdown between her and Luffy to hype up the Kaido fight, but her being an ally is just so out left field right now. I like Capone playing into the plot like you say, and I wonder what Oda's going for with them as a group of characters. Clearly they're rebellious against authority, but does he intend to have them all team up in the end?

-My read on Big Mom is that she's smart. She knows something about the history of the world, the D.'s, and what's really going on. I feel like Oda is setting her up as someone who will have an opinion on the WG and Raftel, along with connections to the Old Era before Roger with her knowing Garp. I wonder if perhaps Luffy will be involved in curing her of her eating ailment and that will turn her around.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Whatever One Piece is he'll end up just giving it to someone he's friends with because they want it so bad while he just wants the title of Pirate King.

RomanceDawn

Yeeeee

Separating a quote is too annoying lol

-There's no way, Smiley is deeeead. It's heavily implied with the whole Devil Fruit transference thing. Where does the whole apple recovery thing happen? Do you mean that Smiley is going to be revived? Fair enough on the others, though. As for the alliance, I think it would be interesting. I imagine the next time we see them it'll be in the heat of the action where they'll "just know" Luffy needed them. Probably looking too much into it but if that's the case then we would be at the climax of whenever they pop up (Wano methinks), so it would be out of place to have the backstories pop up then. Idk, like I said would be fun.

-Yeah, "witch in the woods". Pretty cool.

-On OPP this week someone mentioned (forget who) that it would be funny if Sanji was the one to open it. The gag being that he knows what's in it. A wedding seems like a tea part on crack though, so it makes sense.

-Definitely agree on Big Mom not going down. It doesn't make sense. I do think there might be a small showdown between her and Luffy to hype up the Kaido fight, but her being an ally is just so out left field right now. I like Capone playing into the plot like you say, and I wonder what Oda's going for with them as a group of characters. Clearly they're rebellious against authority, but does he intend to have them all team up in the end?

-My read on Big Mom is that she's smart. She knows something about the history of the world, the D.'s, and what's really going on. I feel like Oda is setting her up as someone who will have an opinion on the WG and Raftel, along with connections to the Old Era before Roger with her knowing Garp. I wonder if perhaps Luffy will be involved in curing her of her eating ailment and that will turn her around.

Well see with Smiley that wasn't the first time Caesar used that experiment and I believe the Xolotle fruit as well. This was the second time only now the victims would be stuck in place due to that poison coating/ash/whatever. Caesar said "let us meet again" implying when he would recreate the poison gas he would use Smiley again. After that moment we see Smiley's spirit entering an apple left on the field.

Caesar is selling a super weapon that has several components. Smiley the Xolotle has to eat the poison candy ball to complete the weapon remember? Caesar shows it as a demonstration, Smiley dissolves and kills himself after eating the candy, Caesar has his men place apples on the killing field to keep Smiley's devil fruit spirit in check, Caesar says "let us meet again", then after it's over Caesar collects the fruit and recreates the gas weapon once more for the highest bidder.

Maybe there is a slight miscommunication, I know Smiley as we knew him is dead, but his spirit, what made him what he was beyond Caesar's gas is still intact and on Punk Hazard. Without Caesar there to combine him with an item we may just get a Xolotle human but Monet very well may understand the logistics behind such a procedure. What ever the case, Brown Beard, Vergo, Monet and Smiley's spirit are on that island and intact. One or all of them will cross paths and I'm certain it's in the next cover story.

Red Fire

Yeah I've said a number of times here too that i believe the next cover story will be about either brownbeard, monet, vergo or the children/tashigi etc.

They ain't dead fam

Usopp will be the Pirate King,... probably by accident.

I hope Oda doesn't pull off something like that. I feel as if that's the sort of gag that might work in the moment but will be looked upon less favorably as time passes on the series.

I know I certainly will, just given how long One Piece has been running.

Squishy3

The only way I could see that being somewhat interesting is if it leads into a sort of redux of Water 7 and Luffy and Usopp duke it out again, with the winner being unquestionably dubbed the pirate king.

Except this time it's Luffy being the unreasonable one and wanting to fight Usopp anyway despite Usopp repeatedly saying "LUFFY IT'S OK I JUST STUMBLED INTO IT YOU CAN HAVE THE TITLE" but Luffy refusing to accept that based on his own principals.

It definitely wouldn't happen but it'd be a kind of cool what if scenario with how much even just now the two of them have advanced, let alone whenever they get to Raftel.

Re-skimming Punk Hazard (already re read it earlier this year)and it only cements my opinion more, that all of the post time skip Sanji hate/disappointment is some of the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard.

Well see with Smiley that wasn't the first time Caesar used that experiment and I believe the Xolotle fruit as well. This was the second time only now the victims would be stuck in place due to that poison coating/ash/whatever. Caesar said "let us meet again" implying when he would recreate the poison gas he would use Smiley again. After that moment we see Smiley's spirit entering an apple left on the field.

Caesar is selling a super weapon that has several components. Smiley the Xolotle has to eat the poison candy ball to complete the weapon remember? Caesar shows it as a demonstration, Smiley dissolves and kills himself after eating the candy, Caesar has his men place apples on the killing field to keep Smiley's devil fruit spirit in check, Caesar says "let us meet again", then after it's over Caesar collects the fruit and recreates the gas weapon once more for the highest bidder.

Maybe there is a slight miscommunication, I know Smiley as we knew him is dead, but his spirit, what made him what he was beyond Caesar's gas is still intact and on Punk Hazard. Without Caesar there to combine him with an item we may just get a Xolotle human but Monet very well may understand the logistics behind such a procedure. What ever the case, Brown Beard, Vergo, Monet and Smiley's spirit are on that island and intact. One or all of them will cross paths and I'm certain it's in the next cover story.

So I just re-read it, and yeah I guess I didn't understand it even after al these years. Yeah Smiley might make a return I suppose, but it seems overly complicated for anything relevant to the plot right now (the whole devil fruit process thing).

Like I said though, I'm pretty sure Brownbeard got arrested. As for Vergo and Monet...well, you know how I feel about them. Their comeback would surpass what happened to Pell, which is why I disagree with that comparison. Sure Pell survived, but was he chopped into pieces and blown up? Did he have his heart stabbed, then blown up?

Idk man, obviously I trust Oda but I would seriously SMH if they return to the story.

On the other hand, Doflamingo definitely isn't finished yet since we haven't seen his eyes. I wonder if Oda is planning on retreading the Baroque Works cover story with the Doffy crew. Since it was only one day, maybe somehow one of the crew returns to Punk Hazard to save Monet and Vergo? Idk.

Hmm. Read the latest Viz translation on the chapter and I may continue the switch. I don't think it's ideal (mobile is clearly better than their desktop version) but I can take the bad with the good.

RomanceDawn

Re-skimming Punk Hazard (already re read it earlier this year)and it only cements my opinion more, that all of the post time skip Sanji hate/disappointment is some of the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard.

You know I'm not sure what it is with some people and Sanji. His character isn't written and was never intended to be the completely cool straight arrow Zoro. Sanji's situations take comedic turns in his quest for glory with him sometimes getting egg on his face, thats the trope he follows. He isn't as silly as Luffy with his extremities and he isn't as serious as Zoro.

Though I've seen the same anger turned towards Luffy as well when something silly happens to him. Maybe it was just Bleach in the system. Knowing that the last few years were at hand maybe people just wanted as much ultra cool serious garbage as much as possible.

Sanji has a really cool and visually distinct fighting style, it doesn't define him and his character in the same way that Zoro's swordsmanship defines him. Sometimes it seems like all people want to see is Sanji's feet.

So I just re-read it, and yeah I guess I didn't understand it even after al these years. Yeah Smiley might make a return I suppose, but it seems overly complicated for anything relevant to the plot right now (the whole devil fruit process thing).

Like I said though, I'm pretty sure Brownbeard got arrested. As for Vergo and Monet...well, you know how I feel about them. Their comeback would surpass what happened to Pell, which is why I disagree with that comparison. Sure Pell survived, but was he chopped into pieces and blown up? Did he have his heart stabbed, then blown up?

Idk man, obviously I trust Oda but I would seriously SMH if they return to the story.

On the other hand, Doflamingo definitely isn't finished yet since we haven't seen his eyes. I wonder if Oda is planning on retreading the Baroque Works cover story with the Doffy crew. Since it was only one day, maybe somehow one of the crew returns to Punk Hazard to save Monet and Vergo? Idk.

The only reason I think Brown Beard got away was because of the distraction Doflamingo caused when he arrived at Punk Hazard. Brown Beard was allowed to leave to find his men that were left behind and at that point Doffy shows up to eF things up. So while not confirmed I just think Brown Beard got left behind to get the heck out of there while Smoker was down.

With Vergo and Monet I understand the hesitation and my following statements are not an attempt to convince anyone but just to share my interpretation of the scene.

Vergo being chopped to pieces is for the most part a non-issue beyond the fact that he was stuck to a railing. Law's cutting abilities don't actually harm the victim and their bodies function completely normally even while separated. He was caught in a massive explosion and well you know... One Piece.

The hierarchy will always be:

1 - Fist
2 - Sword
3 - Bullet
4 - Cannon
11 - Explosion

I'm joking but we all know how explosives work in this series. Characters outside of flash backs become cartoonishly black and nothing happens after that.

With Monet it's a bit trickier and its mainly because of her situation that I feel like her story isn't over yet.

Caesar stabs the heart, we see blood, Monet faints. From that very specific angle it looks like a direct hit. My argument is that because of the profile view of the stabbing it was only intended to look like a direct hit. Monet's heart at most gets grazed, with the majority of that blood just coming from the jelly cube. The grazing is enough to jostle her, especially after getting taken out by Tashigi earlier. Then we see Caesar later with the icicle stuck in the ground...

So with Caesar's last ounce of strength before passing out he stabs the heart, takes the icicle out and triumphantly stabs the ground, enough so that the icicle is protruding from the ground? I don't buy it. My guess is he simply missed his direct hit, grazed the heart, spurted a little blood, stabbed the ground with that momentum and just passed out.

Of course that is my interpretation and it can be argued every which way till Sunday. Story wise though there seems to be more left to Monet's character. Vincent Van Gogh was a painter inspired by Claude Monet(among others) and he painted A Starry Night. Monet by her name and her swirly glasses resembling the painting A Starry Night tells me Oda had them in mind when designing her. Before Monet meets Law she is just a normal person with Logia powers, we see on her desk there are many books one of which is cut off but reads in english ASTRO. After meeting with Law it is implied but a near certainty that Monet was given her bird body thanks to Law's powers. Astro, astronomy, a starry night, and well who else has bird wings but the native moon people who migrated to the blue and white seas? Monet wants to go to the moon.

Then we discover outside of the story that Sugar and Monet are sisters? Monet "dies" a day before the events of Dressrosa and there is absolutely zero mention of her fate by Sugar? That is going to be elaborated on mark my words.

Monet still has more to offer the story.

Lunar15

Sanji before the time skip was both goofy and cool. He had a temper, but was generally pretty chill in most situations. He goofed around a bit with usopp with some scenes and generally seemed younger than say, Zoro, who as pretty much the straight man for a lot of jokes.

After the timeskip, he suffered the same exact fate everyone else: rampant flanderization. Everyone's character traits were just turned up to 11, so for sanji that just meant more perv outs and more temper flare ups. Early on sanji never really seemed super annoyed at everything, but now it seems like literally everything pisses him off. To be fair, Zoro is suffering the exact same problem, but since his reaction to things he hates is just to scowl instead of getting flustered, you're just seeing him in near permanent grump mode.

One Piece's absence this week really highlights how significant this new era of WSJ is (as in, the current manga line-up) and I don't mean that in a positive way. I really do wonder what the magazine will be like a year from now.

Sanji before the time skip was both goofy and cool. He had a temper, but was generally pretty chill in most situations. He goofed around a bit with usopp with some scenes and generally seemed younger than say, Zoro, who as pretty much the straight man for a lot of jokes.

After the timeskip, he suffered the same exact fate everyone else: rampant flanderization. Everyone's character traits were just turned up to 11, so for sanji that just meant more perv outs and more temper flare ups. Early on sanji never really seemed super annoyed at everything, but now it seems like literally everything pisses him off. To be fair, Zoro is suffering the exact same problem, but since his reaction to things he hates is just to scowl instead of getting flustered, you're just seeing him in near permanent grump mode.

I find the Flanderization mostly just applies to Sanji, Zoro and Nami, with Sanji being hit the hardest. This is obvious, but you know the current arc is set to address the problem with Sanji so I'm looking forward to it.

You know, I have Viz and I can't always trust their translations either. They dumb it down, a lot.

In the middle of rereading all the volumes and while the current localization is amazing, there are some definite rough patches beforehand. In particular, volumes 11-14 have too much mistranslations/dumbed-down swears and the speed-up volumes tend to get inconsistent with the terminology (granted, the immense workload provided would ensure some mistakes would get by, but it's still glaring). It's probably tied with Case Closed (Detective Conan) as Viz's most inconsistent title in terms of quality.

Did I miss something? What changed?

Just a bunch of classic/fan-favorite series ending this year. I know Viz doesn't have the entirety of WSJ's line-up in their online version, but with *Bleach gone and One Piece on break this week, it struck me how plain the current selections are aside from MHA and maybe Promised Neverland.

*Not that I thought it still possessed any semblance of quality by its end, but it's still weird to see a big name gone like that.

Veelk

Banned
I thought you guys meant there was a change in management or policy or something like that.

Maybe for WSJ as a whole, things have changed, but I don't see how things change for One Piece itself. OP hasn't seriously competed with Naruto or Bleach for years. It's sales astronomically higher than any other manga and it's popularity has sustained it's place as the consistent number 1 for over a decade. It's more or less unaffected by Naruto and Bleach's absence as far as I can see.

I thought you guys meant there was a change in management or policy or something like that.

Maybe for WSJ as a whole, things have changed, but I don't see how things change for One Piece itself. OP hasn't seriously competed with Naruto or Bleach for years. It's sales astronomically higher than any other manga and it's popularity has sustained it's place as the consistent number 1 for over a decade. It's more or less unaffected by Naruto and Bleach's absence as far as I can see.
I was told one piece was losing steam and MHA would replace it as top dog
*Shrugs

It doesn't; just making a general observation.

Edit: Looking back, I think I worded what I meant poorly. Added some clarification.

I was told one piece was losing steam and MHA would replace it as top dog
*Shrugs

We're not quite at Strong World-era levels, but it's still Japan's best-selling manga. Greg Werner discusses the "five-year rotation" here.

Lunar15

I really need to read that manga at some point. Maybe I won't even hate it.

I think you'd like MHA. Characters make fairly logical, rational choices and it doesn't always go for the gag like one piece does.

In my personal opinion, it hasn't quite hit the highs of one piece, but it excels in not having its lows. It's certainly not perfect, but it recently wowed me with some really really good payoffs on subtle build up. I'm enjoying it far more than One Piece right now, and I even like the current Big Mom arc.

Yup. I still remember the days when I looked forward to reading all three in a week.

What do you like?

I will say that MHA has a lot of potential to be something big, and I can see it lasting for a looong time.

I'm shounen? Not much honestly,

I like One Piece a lot obviously. It's my favorite comic book series and love it for its spirit of adventure.

I like Dragon Ball. Loving Super.

Uh, I love sports manga. Like Cross Game and Slam Dunk (which I'm re-reading).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom