• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That's my nindo, my ninja way" - Ichigo Kurosaki from Hunter X Hunter
post-39687-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-extreme-H2YN.gif

"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No! When he suffers a disease? No! When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies...when he is forgotten."

Veelk

Banned
So, something occurred to me. Why the hell doesn't the World Government regulate devil fruits? Their obviously not the only problem that they have to contend with in Pirates, but can you imagine how much easier their lives would be?

The biggest benefit to this is that it would narrow down pirates combat diversity by FAR. They'd still obviously have issues with proficient swordsman and other fighters and Haki users, which are arguably the bigger problem now, but they would rarely be caught off guard by random abilities they can't prepare for.

I think it would be pretty easy to take a large portion of them out of circulation too. First off, execute all the pirates that you capture that have DF abilities, and hold a fruit nearby. Then, issue bounties for not just pirates, but fruits themselves. Make them especially pricy. And propagate negative myths about DF fruits, some of which are already in circulation through just lack of understanding of what the DF's are. Make up some new ones like that you'll die after a set amount of years if you ingest it. And then offer to dispose of them if citizens just bring them back over to their local Marine base. I mean, we've established they have propoganda, why not this too?

You might argue that they might already do this because DFs are already stated to be rare and superstition surrounds them and it's just that the story follows groups that know better. But I don't think so. For one, Doflamingo just randomly had Ace's fruit. If what I'm suggesting happens, then announcing it to the world that he had that fruit would explicitly prove that he's double dealing behind the Marines back, and Fujitora would have all the excuse he needs to revoke his Shichibukai status. That didn't happen, there was no remark from the marines on Doffy possessing the fruit at all, so I just have to assume that the Marines didn't even try to quarentine Ace's fruit. The only other possible explanation is that they didn't know that's how DF's reproduce....but that makes little sense to me. I don't remember when it is precisely established that that's how DF's perpetuate themselves, but I would think that would be one of the most basic known facts about them, since they know there are no two identical DF's and they know that they come back and over the years, people would spot that the fruits nearest to a DF user that dies transform into DF's. If nothing else, Vegapunk would have told them about it.

So...any ideas for why they wouldn't do this?

Because that would be boring

EDIT: ok, a little mean and reductive.

Basically, a smear campaign wouldn't work because the Marines are made up of very well known devil fruit users, the common people want nothing to do with devil fruits, and even pirates are so hesitant about them that the ones desperate enough for power would go through a black market.

Veelk

Banned
Because that would be boring

I mean, this is one of those things that in no way breaks the story you want to tell so long as you just put a few mechanisms in place.

First you can have the fact that pirates have caught on to the WG's game and hoard their own fruits. Then you have Doflamingo's black market. Just say he has an inside man who leaks the best DF fruits to him and he sells them to the highest bidders. Lastly, you can have, either in present day or in the backstory, an event that somehow sent a surge of DF's into the world. Like, maybe some pirate (possibly Luffy), broke into a marine stronghold, and blew it up, and now all the DF's stored there are out in the open.

There. In OP, you could probably pick any one of those excuses, and still say that the WG is hording the DF's, but still have an excuse why everyone and their mom has a DF fruit.

EDIT: ok, a little mean and reductive.

Basically, a smear campaign wouldn't work because the Marines are made up of very well known devil fruit users, the common people want nothing to do with devil fruits, and even pirates are so hesitant about them that the ones desperate enough for power would go through a black market.

I mean...possibly, but keep in mind that people aren't exactly rational. Just have them say that the marines use the much rarer, and more noble Angel Fruits to give them powers to overcome evil or some shit. It's kind of scary how little plausibility propoganda needs to be effective, but it's true. Plus, the propaganda gives people incentive to get DF's just to do their civic duty AND get a big paycheck for it too, so common people would find a DF and throw it right to the WG.

Idk, it doesn't exactly take much to fool the world of OP, you know, and things like this have worked in the real world. I just think it's kind of bizarre that the fascistic, totalitarian government is chill with just letting potential WMD's float around out there and free.

We don't have much explanation for where most DF's appear, but as Chopper just randomly found his and ate it, Brooke just seemed to randomly find his in his adventures, Robin somehow got them as a child....it's clear that some of these are just out in the wild and I don't see how the WG is cool with that. If nothing else, I'd expect them to atleast TRY to contain them, even if they failed.

Let me also mention I'm not suggesting that this is something the marines start now. Doing it right now would be practically useless. But this was something they should have been doing ever since they began their run at the end of the Void century, so people would have over 100 years to get used to the idea that DF's are an evil problem only the good and noble marines should solve. Over that period of time, their curation should put them at a considerable advantage over priates.

I just guess there's too many devil fruits, in too many obscure/dangerous locations, with too many competing interests.

I mean, they aren't completely unregulated and unstockpiled. They keep tabs on devil fruit deals. It's extremely likely that they're given to certain officials in the Navy and as rewards/boosts for Cipher Pol agents. Not to mention the Celestial Dragons get a kick out of buying them and force feeding them to slaves, making them some of the biggest customers.

There's just too many.

Veelk

Banned
Gotta start somewhere, Sibersk. Like, I can believe that Doflamingo could get his hands on Ace's fruit with his connections. But the marines had such a complete nonreaction, I can only conclude that they made no effort at all to contain it...and that just makes no sense. That was one very powerful fruit that was entirely within their means to keep....and they don't? They risk it falling into enemies hands? (Which it ends up doing when Sabo gets it, so now they have to deal with the frikken revolutionaries having it)

dabig2

So...any ideas for why they wouldn't do this?

Because the WG is secretly OK with the status quo. Those old men and the CDs need powerful pirates rampaging across the seas to give them power and to keep the other nations busy worrying about other matters than stuff like: "why the hell do we give power to these assholes, especially the Celestial Dragons, in the first place? Why is the navy always up in our shit and why do we give them the unilateral power to nuke islands?"

I wouldn't be surprised if the WG is behind a lot of the black market themselves. They already run an illegal human employment service, so this would be nothing. Whatever they can do to feed the paranoia and dependence on them the better. It's not like these people in-universe are asking any questions about DF enforcement measures, so it works out pretty good for the WG to just keep coasting and keep up appearances enough so people don't start asking the tough questions.

If this sounds familiar, like I said it's an old trope and it has some parallels with real life. See the War on Drugs and the increased militarization of the police and incarceration growth. COINTELPRO, Iran-Contra, etc.

Metal B

The biggest benefit to this is that it would narrow down pirates combat diversity by FAR. They'd still obviously have issues with proficient swordsman and other fighters and Haki users, which are arguably the bigger problem now, but they would rarely be caught off guard by random abilities they can't prepare for.
The pirate king didn't had a power, so this argument is non existence. Even if Luffy didn't had his rubber powers, he properly would still be at least as strong as his grandfather, who went toe of toe with the pirate king. Oda made sure, that Devilfruits powers aren't more powerful then normal people. They just spacing up his fantasy world.

I think it would be pretty easy to take a large portion of them out of circulation too. First off, execute all the pirates that you capture that have DF abilities, and hold a fruit nearby. Then, issue bounties for not just pirates, but fruits themselves. Make them especially pricy. And propagate negative myths about DF fruits, some of which are already in circulation through just lack of understanding of what the DF's are. Make up some new ones like that you'll die after a set amount of years if you ingest it. And then offer to dispose of them if citizens just bring them back over to their local Marine base. I mean, we've established they have propoganda, why not this too?
I could see, that Devilfruits have some kind of protection against capturing. For example if a Devilfruit isn't used, the fruit rottens and appears randomly somewhere else (instead of close by). That's why killing an Devilfruit user is a much easier way to take control over them.

The other factor is the philosophy behind the Devilfruits. They are called "Devil"-Fruits for a reason. Eating them is similar to make a deal with the Devil. You get a power, but you're also cursed. So it would make sense, that the fruits have a supernatural desire to be found by living things and to be misused. So Devilfruits would have abilities to be easier found and not get locked away.
Even the rule, that Devilfruits reappear in a fruit near a killed user, has a build in devilish function to give greedy persons a reason to kill a powerful user. Blackbeard right now is the best agent of chaos for the Devilfruits, since he is seeking them out and killing users on the way.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sanji and his brothers are devil fruits turned into humans

Devil fruits-lil devil's inside them
Sanji with his devil leg.. confirmed!
Plus the huge cloning vat in Germa HQ and the fact that all the Vinsmokes seem to have color coded powers.

Sanji can also use fire without a devil's fruit. Hmm...

Still betting on Nami being a daughter of Big Mom. It feels like an easy out but I can't see any other way they get out of this as things stand. Something has to change or someone has to change sides because I don't see them winning just by fighting and beating everyone. Nami being found on a battlefield always left a possibility they would address it.

Either way, I think it ends with Sanji actually married and his wife on the ship. Way funnier if he and Nami getting married saves the crew and they to deal with it from here on out. The fight can resolve Big Mom considering the Straw Hats part of her crew and she gets back a daughter she lost etc etc.

Still betting on Nami being a daughter of Big Mom. It feels like an easy out but I can't see any other way they get out of this as things stand. Something has to change or someone has to change sides because I don't see them winning just by fighting and beating everyone. Nami being found on a battlefield always left a possibility they would address it.

Either way, I think it ends with Sanji actually married and his wife on the ship. Way funnier if he and Nami getting married saves the crew and they to deal with it from here on out. The fight can resolve Big Mom considering the Straw Hats part of her crew and she gets back a daughter she lost etc etc.

We barely know anything about the battle Bellemere fought, but seems unlikely that a yonko's baby daughter would be left there. Anyway, Oda said that Nami and Lola are sworn sisters, so their relationship might be more relevant than we had anticipated. But yeah, if she is somehow considered a daughter (which is unlikely), a marriage with Sanji could be a great way to resolve things without going to an impossible fight. However, that still gives the Vinsmokes what they want (they are doomed to fail after this introduction - so the wedding is still a victory) and Big Mom might still be evil.

SolVanderlyn

What if Nami is the daughter of a daughter?

This arc could literally go in any direction right now. I never though Big Mom's story would be exciting but it's been the best part of the New World by far if you count the Germa stuff with it

We barely know anything about the battle Bellemere fought, but seems unlikely that a yonko's baby daughter would be left there. Anyway, Oda said that Nami and Lola are sworn sisters, so their relationship might be more relevant than we had anticipated. But yeah, if she is somehow considered a daughter (which is unlikely), a marriage with Sanji could be a great way to resolve things without going to an impossible fight. However, that still gives the Vinsmokes what they want (they are doomed to fail after this introduction - so the wedding is still a victory) and Big Mom might still be evil.

That fact that we know so little is really the main reason I think it's true. It's a bit vague and could be used anywhere. I think it will come up again but they aren't going to spend a whole arc on it. With Big Mom being a pirate and having so many daughters, one of them getting left in a Marine battle works fine IMO. It's the best 'out' I can see currently.

Definitely possible, but even if it were true would it matter? Big Mom doesn't seem to give two shits about people who double cross her. It might be a little pre-emptive since we haven't really seen her interact with any of her children outside of the eating disorder episode, but it seems like such an unnecessary wrench to throw into the plot when we have:

-Capone's Betrayal
-Fishman Pirates on standby
-Her disorder
-Nami's Homies
-Carrot and Chobro in the Mirror World
-Vinsmoke betrayal or falling out of the deal
-Pudding's help
-Pekoms
-Whatever the fuck Brook knows

I think there are a lot of potential ways to get out the current situation. I'm still thinking back to Luffy casually suggesting that Sanji's wife would join the crew back in Zou. RIP blackleg, Pudding is joining.

Pudding doesn't know how to fight and her skills aren't needed. Unless her third eye has some use, I doubt she will join. Besides, there is Jinbei and likely Carrot. I don't think Oda will make a crew that big, he can barely develop the characters without splitting the team.

SANJI. I'm rooting for you!

For week I've read WSJ without reading the chapter before hand. Getting used to Monday being One Piece day and not Wed or Thurs is tough.

Guess they discovered the minks.
Oda bringing the furry community to One Piece.

Next chapter they meet for the rehearsal dinner, right? Pedro and Brooke are getting involved for sure
There will be a lunch between the Vinsmokes and Big Mom soon, but I believe next chapter will be about the clone facility. We will discover some stuff about the Vinsmokes and Sanji might have a fight with one of his brothers.

Pudding doesn't know how to fight and her skills aren't needed. Unless her third eye has some use, I doubt she will join. Besides, there is Jinbei and likely Carrot. I don't think Oda will make a crew that big, he can barely develop the characters without splitting the team.

I will suck all the dicks available if Pudding ends up being a weak side-girl.

Ogodei

I don't see why Pudding would be anything else, unfortunately. Plenty of new power chicks anyway (like Carrot, Reiju, and Dog Nami).

IHaveIce

Banned
Here are full spoilers so you don't have to look around

Chapter title is "Iron Mask".

Judge and Vegapunk used to be illegal researchers. Vegapunk got arrested since he found blueprint of life (DNA?).

Judge managed to run away and continued researching.

Ichiji and Niji appear. Sanji kicks Niji in his face, but Niji says.
"Stealth" , appears from behind and beats Sanji wit electric attack.

Ichiji says he is going to confirm their hierarchy and calls Sanji clunker.

Flashback starts. Judge says that now that he gave his sons talent they should train hard.

Judge is worried why only Sanji is weak. According to doctor, Ichiji,
Niji and Yonji developed their exoskeletons greatly, but Sanji is just a
human. Judge is disappointed.

Judge tells Germa66 soldiers that Sanji suffered a shipwreck.
Sanji gets imprisoned with iron mask. He can't even eat and asks for help.

Judge says that Sanji is not supposed to be born.
Sanji sheds tears and apologizes again and again to Judge.

Chapter title is interesting, reminds me of duval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom