• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Well they said he got the same genetic manipulation done to him as his siblings, it just never manifested for some reason. It'd be great if somehow this arc "unlocked" his latent potential.

exactly. I think this chapter was an alluding to it. ODA the GOAT

ryan13ts

I wonder if this whole linage factor possibly has something to do with Vegapunk's research into Devil Fruits as well. I'm still dying to finally see Vegapunk introduced properly into the story so we can find out more about everything he knows. The fact that the father and Vegapunk were working together, as well as that Vegapunk was also a rouge scientist that got arrested and apparently switched sides to work with the WG is pretty nuts. We got a lot of interesting info this chapter.

And everything related to Sanji's history is just....god. I always thought Robin had it the worst of all but Sanji is a close runner up. Reiju is no doubt the one that helped Sanji escape in the first place, I'm sure we'll see this next chapter.

kurahador

Reiju also the only one who didn't beat up Sanji. Guess she is good.

DQDj5JO.png

Luffy having a hard time against Big Mom lowly underling, Vinsmoke family worse than Doflamingo and now Sanji being bullied since he was a kid. This arc man...
Stop torturing me Oda!!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [wo]men to do nothing."

Yeah I mean Reiju isn't exactly a saint, I mean it's understandable. But watching crap happen isn't exactly a commendable trait. She's not even weak either, tests wise she's up there with Ichiji

Ray Down

Banned
Don't buy Reiju, she gonna turn out too be the most evil of them all.

Free sanji and bring him to there brothers just to laugh at him.

Metal B

Didn't know this, but it does make some sense. "Nature vs Nurture" or the trope that mother's want to protect their children without letting them learn from their own experiences.
Let's not kid ourself, many people with such a terrible past become evil, in other ways damaged or simply die. Only a handful survive and grow into good guys (like the Strawhats). Any of them would have chosen a normal childhood instead of their life as adventures, they only chose to make lemonade as life gave them lemons.

Oda doesn't want to show us, that life is better without mothers, just that such people seeking for a better life and sometimes find more then normal people ever would or need.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Let's not kid ourself, many people with such a terrible past become evil, in other ways damaged or simply die. Only a handful survive and grow into good guys (like the Strawhats). Any of them would have chosen a normal childhood instead of their life as adventures, they only chose to make lemonade as life gave them lemons.

Oda doesn't want to show us, that life is better without mothers, just that such people seeking for a better life and sometimes find more then normal people ever would or need.

Basically their the SH are funamentally good people but they're not fundamentality "great" people morality wise. Theirs not a single altruistic goal amongst them apart from choppers and maybe brooks, the rest are entirely personal despite living ina blatantly corrupt society that does all sorts of reprehensible acts. The story about following dreams and both MC and most villains do it, their dreams simply tend to have a net negative on the world around them, whereas the SH is largely neutral.

The closest thing to a message woud be you have to leave home and comfort zones to achieve your personal dreams and those come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and it in a lot of case the world would be better off if you didn't

Reiju also the only one who didn't beat up Sanji. Guess she is good.

DQDj5JO.png

Luffy having a hard time against Big Mom lowly underling, Vinsmoke family worse than Doflamingo and now Sanji being bullied since he was a kid. This arc man...
Stop torturing me Oda!!

Cracker seems very strong given his power and haki...

I wish the Devil Fruits are involved in this DNA manipulation, that would hype Vegapunk even more.

There is a panel in this chapter with Sanji reading Norland the Liar, and besides him there is the Devil Fruit encyclopedia, which is a reference to Jaya and Thriller Bark.

Glad to hear that Sanji has a mother, the clone stuff didn't make sense for them anyway.

I don't think Reiju is evil but she isn't necessarily good. Reminds me of Robin as Miss All Sunday. She isn't simply rotten to the core like the rest of the family.

The payoff to this arc is going to be ridiculous

-Luffy asserting himself in strength
-Sanji kicking his family's ass or demonstrating his strength
-Brook getting some much needed development

Damn I can't wait for the climax for this arc!

Sanji's mom is dead, so this confirms that Pudding won't be joining the crew. You need to have a deceased/missing mother in order to gain Strawhat membership. lol

Veelk

Banned
I like that Sanji being a shameful failure of a human being is now a canonical fact.

Edit: Guys, the mom's thing isn't about mom's being 'bad', it's about that women are predesignated to be the household masters. OP is a slave to poisonous culture preconceptions and that is reflected in it's writing in many ways. It's why a (pretty) women being beaten the shit out of is horrifically reprehensible (not just to Sanji), while men being beaten the shit out of is just kinda bad, maybe, depending on who they are. It's why women are always more compassionate and centered around the idea of love on some level (Reiju being nicer than her siblings for basically no reason)(also, tangentially related to why women are more or less universally sexually objectified). And it's definitely why going out on an adventure is considered a 'man's dream'. It's not that women can't do it, but the act of even wanting to go on an adventure is a masculine thing.

It's not misogyny, since it's not a hatred of women. But it's sexist in the "Your place is in the kitchen" sort of way. It presupposes that being a women means that particular things just come 'naturally' to them or is 'supposed' to be a particular way, and then writes the rest of the character based on those presuppositions. And it's lame bullshit that leads the manga to being worse than it could potentially be because an entire subgroup of characters has to follow a particular pattern.

I like that Sanji being a shameful failure of a human being is now a canonical fact.

Edit: Guys, the mom's thing isn't about mom's being 'bad', it's about that women are predesignated to be the household masters. OP is a slave to poisonous culture preconceptions and that is reflected in it's writing in many ways. It's why a (pretty) women being beaten the shit out of is horrifically reprehensible (not just to Sanji), while men being beaten the shit out of is just kinda bad, maybe, depending on who they are. It's why women are always more compassionate and centered around the idea of love on some level (Reiju being nicer than her siblings for basically no reason)(also, tangentially related to why women are more or less universally sexually objectified). And it's definitely why going out on an adventure is considered a 'man's dream'. It's not that women can't do it, but the act of even wanting to go on an adventure is a masculine thing.

It's not misogyny, since it's not a hatred of women. But it's sexist in the "Your place is in the kitchen" sort of way. It presupposes that being a women means that particular things just come 'naturally' to them or is 'supposed' to be a particular way, and then writes the rest of the character based on those presuppositions. And it's lame bullshit that leads the manga to being worse than it could potentially be because an entire subgroup of characters has to follow a particular pattern.

Yeah it's really tiring. holding out hope that Reiju isn't another Robin/Hancock/Violet/Baby 5 in that they're bad but loljk. Would be an interesting twist if Reiju was similar to Bege, and perhaps plans to use Sanji and the ensuing commotion that is going to happen to usurp her father and rule Germa herself.

Pudding is the hope of a cute/moe female yandere villain you guys always dreamed of.

Reiju wouldn't be much different from Monet or Kalifa.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Per my earlier post, I don't think any of this was the actual intent behind the comparison. "Mother" is being used as shorthand for "not leaving the nest."

Veelk

Banned
Per my earlier post, I don't think any of this was the actual intent behind the comparison. "Mother" is being used as shorthand for "not leaving the nest."

Then why associate it with femininity, why define adventure as a masculine ideal, why have it reflected in nearly every family dynamic in the series (where's the stay at home dad raising his kids?), etc.

Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not particularly interested in speculating on Oda's intent which I am sure is beneficent. But the fact remains is that there is a stark contrast within the gender dynamic in the manga that connects to "Mothers are the opposite of adventure" not just in a figurative sense, but a literal one. Regardless of whatever Oda may intended, that's what we are left with.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Then why associate it with femininity, why define adventure as a masculine ideal, why have it reflected in nearly every family dynamic in the series (where's the stay at home dad raising his kids?), etc.

Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not particularly interested in speculating on Oda's intent which I am sure is beneficent. But the fact remains is that there is a stark contrast within the gender dynamic in the manga that connects to "Mothers are the opposite of adventure" not just in a figurative sense, but a literal one. Regardless of whatever Oda may intended, that's what we are left with.

Well, I'm interested in speculating on his intent, which is why I was talking about something he said in an SBS in the first place. Otherwise there's no discussion to be had here.

In a manga marketed largely to teenagers it seems pretty natural to me to associate "mother" with "your formative family years." The SBS readers will get it, they are children, their mothers want them at home being safe, which is in of itself a somewhat smothering notion for a teenageer. To go on an "adventure" is to leave the safety of your mother's bosom.

And let's not pretend there's not a massively greater cultural association between mothers and nurturing than there is between fathers. All the stay-at-home dads in the world aren't going to defeat the biological mechanisms of birth and hormonally-driven nurturing instincts.

It's interesting how Sanji's mother died before and wasn't shown yet in the flashback.
Initially, I assumed that she might have been the catalyst for why Sanji refuses, or better yet, can't harm women.

But looking at how Reiju seemly showed some kindness to young Sanji, maybe she's the reason why.
It seems flimsy at the moment, but what if, in the case that Reiju really is putting on an act, she's been manipulating Sanji for her own objectives all this time?

Can you imagine what that would do to Sanji? To see the beacon of his chivalry and standards towards women be as twisted and black-hearted as the rest of his family would spark a nice character redefining moment for him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's interesting how Sanji's mother died before and wasn't shown yet in the flashback.
Initially, I assumed that she might have been the catalyst for why Sanji refuses, or better yet, can't harm women.

But looking at how Reiju seemly showed some kindness to young Sanji, maybe she's the reason why.
It seems flimsy at the moment, but what if, in the case that Reiju really is putting on an act, she's been manipulating Sanji for her own objectives all this time?

Can you imagine what that would do to Sanji? To see the beacon of his chivalry and standards towards women be as twisted and black-hearted as the rest of his family would spark a nice character redefining moment for him.

This is actually what I've been getting ready for. It'd be an absolutely insane reveal, especially if she's stronger than her dad and all their brothers.

Veelk

Banned
Well, I'm interested in speculating on his intent, which is why I was talking about something he said in an SBS in the first place. Otherwise there's no discussion to be had here.

In a manga marketed largely to teenagers it seems pretty natural to me to associate "mother" with "your formative family years." The SBS readers will get it, they are children, their mothers want them at home being safe, which is in of itself a somewhat smothering notion for a teenageer. To go on an "adventure" is to leave the safety of your mother's bosom.

And why would you believe that the implicit association of home being a mother's domain in the first place?

My point here is that Oda's work revolves around the established gender dynamics of the real world, including home is the mother's domain. From my understanding, your argument is that Oda made the analogy as away of saying that this is a coming of age thing where people go out into the world away from the 'nest'. I'm sure that's true and all, but I'm a little lost as to how you take a statement of gender being used as an analogy for a coming of age ritual and then claiming that the statement is not infused with gender role role assumptions that his work pretty obviously and consistently contains.

And let's not pretend there's not a massively greater cultural association between mothers and nurturing than there is between fathers. All the stay-at-home dads in the world aren't going to defeat the biological mechanisms of birth and hormonally-driven nurturing instincts.

Eh, lets not get into evolutionary psychology. It's pretty lacking in hard evidence, even for psychology. I'm not going to argue that women have a greater tendency to be nurturing, but we don't know how much, if not all of that, is fueled by social expectations. Hell, just a few weeks ago, we had a thread where a gaffer wanted to help a child he perceived to be lost, but didn't because he was afraid of being accused of being a pedophile. From what I've researched, most gender differences tend to be extremely minor and negligible when a scientist works hard enough to isolate a variable. I have no reason to think fathers wouldn't be as nurturing as mothers if societies were structured around them being so, and while I admit I need to do more research on this, the fact that we are slowly moving towards that in America has eventually seen fathers being more openly affectionate with their kids as well from what I've seen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And why would you believe that the implicit association of home being a mother's domain in the first place?

My point here is that Oda's work revolves around the established gender dynamics of the real world, including home is the mother's domain. From my understanding, your argument is that Oda made the analogy as away of saying that this is a coming of age thing where people go out into the world away from the 'nest'. I'm sure that's true and all, but I'm a little lost as to how you take a statement of gender being used as an analogy for a coming of age ritual and then claiming that the statement is not infused with gender role role assumptions.

I suppose the issue I'm taking here is that "gender norms" are implicitly bad. That a woman should be made to feel like she's restricting her life and opportunities by taking on the role of the caregiver. I don't mean to imply that one should be confined to gender norms, but I don't necessarily think that breaking out of them is something objectively laudable. It's something, you can be normative or you can't, but to me it's a neutral choice.

I am not offended by a work of fiction being gender normative, nor do I think it has to negatively affect the functioning of its plot or world.

Eh, lets not get into evolutionary psychology. It's pretty lacking in hard evidence, even for psychology. I'm not going to argue that women have a greater tendency to be nurturing, but we don't know how much, if not all of that, is fueled by social expectations. Hell, just a few weeks ago, we had a thread where a gaffer wanted to help a child he perceived to be lost, but didn't because he was afraid of being accused of being a pedophile. From what I've researched, most gender differences tend to be extremely minor and negligible when a scientist works hard enough to isolate a variable. I have no reason to think fathers wouldn't be as nurturing as mothers if societies were structured around them being so, and while I admit I need to do more research on this, the fact that we are slowly moving towards that in America has eventually seen fathers being more openly affectionate with their kids as well from what I've seen.

My thinking on this topic is born primarily from my own experience raising a now-six-month year old girl. My wife is experiencing a wide range of sensations that I am not, and given how wildly they swing and the intensity with which they burn it is evident that it is largely hormonal. Not to say that I am not a nurturing factor in my daughter's upbringing, but just that my wife is being driven far more strongly (and perhaps somewhat self-destructively).

She's doing the stay-at-home mom thing while I continue to work, which was a decision mutually agreed upon and in no way assumed or forced beforehand. But I feel sometimes like she is judged for not being in some way more independent or career-minded, as if the choice to raise the child is somehow lesser for conforming to gender normative ideas.

So to come back to what my initial point was, I have no problem with associating a mother with the idea of being nurturing, and I do not think mother vs adventure needs to imply something negative about mothers.

I think my main takeaway from this chapter is that now that Sanji knows exactly what they are, "Wall" will not stop him again. Still not sure what to make of Reiju. I can't shake the feeling Oda's going to give her a twist and make her the worst of them all, which is a bit of a shame since I quite like her atm.

After examining the chapter, Reiju is the worst of them. The rest of the kids are just inbred test tube babies that don't know any better. She's the only one that knows it's wrong but does it anyways. Nami is going to spend extra time breaking her into pieces.

Sanji has the inferior genes?

Sanji = Solid Snake confirmed.

So does this chapter allude that Vegapunk is being forced to work for the World Government? After all, he was arrested.

I'm hoping Oda let's Sanji beat his older brother or father by himself in a fight rather than have someone step in and take him out.

Veelk

Banned
I suppose the issue I'm taking here is that "gender norms" are implicitly bad. That a woman should be made to feel like she's restricting her life and opportunities by taking on the role of the caregiver. I don't mean to imply that one should be confined to gender norms, but I don't necessarily think that breaking out of them is something objectively laudable. It's something, you can be normative or you can't, but to me it's a neutral choice.

I am not offended by a work of fiction being gender normative, nor do I think it has to negatively affect the functioning of its plot or world.

Well, generally speaking, I can agree with all that in the abstract.

However, I do think OP paints it's gender norms in a bad way. For one, the statement being discussed here, by definition, paints the motherfigure as a stiffler of potential progress that the character could be making by going on an adventure. That is a bad thing and mothers shouldn't be viewed that way. Like, remember the Scott Lynch example I mentioned about a badass pirate mother? Well, she is still fulfilling the role of a mother, but she not only is not stiffling adventure, she's part of it, being involved in fights and being daring and so on. But another scene that is brought to mind is a recent one in My Hero Academia, where Midoriya's mother brings up her objections to his continuing to study to be a hero. She is conforming to gender expectations here too, but it's a sentiment that is thoroughly explored and treated seriously. And it's not depicted as stiffling, because she wants her son to grow, but given how injured he has become under All Might's study, she's worried that UA itself will stiffle his potential if he cripples himself, so she's not actually stiffling his potential but trying to ensure it grows. That is a series that I think handled a normative gender role in a positive way. Furthermore, it didn't paint Midoriya's mother as the standard mothering technique. Bakugo's mother saw UA and thought "That was someone who truly sees my son". Those are mother figures who still nurture their kids, but in no way get in the way of their growth, yet do not act at all in the same way. And the statement OP makes places motherhood as a conceptual antithesis to growth into a man.

And besides that, it already confines women in hundreds of small ways, including how they are depicted in combat, which I've gone over many times how that renders them powerless when presented in a manga where combat is the ultimate deciding factor of all conflicts, or how they are constantly sexually objectified, etc. Maybe in certain stories, that doesn't matter much, but OP is more about escapism than perhaps anything else. It's possibly the most escapism driven work I've ever seen. I don't see how you can say that placing such limitations on a world that's designed around leaving the limitations of real life behind.

My thinking on this topic is born primarily from my own experience raising a now-six-month year old girl. My wife is experiencing a wide range of sensations that I am not, and given how wildly they swing and the intensity with which they burn it is evident that it is largely hormonal. Not to say that I am not a nurturing factor in my daughter's upbringing, but just that my wife is being driven far more strongly (and perhaps somewhat self-destructively).

She's doing the stay-at-home mom thing while I continue to work, which was a decision mutually agreed upon and in no way assumed or forced beforehand. But I feel sometimes like she is judged for not being in some way more independent or career-minded, as if the choice to raise the child is somehow lesser for conforming to gender normative ideas.

Well, that's fine and all, but on the flip side, I've known fathers (including my own) who was more nurturing and emotional figure than my mother was, I know other people's parents who were like this. We can trade anecdotal stories, but you can't just take your personal experience and then just assume that's how the world is at large. That's what science is for, and Evo Psych just doesn't have much to offer in that. Like I said, from my research, it's difficult to pin down, but what inherent gender differences there are tend to be minor and inconsequential.

On the social side of things, yeah, we're in a period of shifting societal norm, so as women become more accepted to be careerminded, the more people will think that's what women should be, which kicks off a set of new expectations. That's just kind of how things work in terms of culture, there is always a set of things your 'supposed' to be. That can suck or be awesome depending on how you fit into the cultural norms that society has set up for you. But in regards to how that relates to OP as a manga...

So to come back to what my initial point was, I have no problem with associating a mother with the idea of being nurturing, and I do not think mother vs adventure needs to imply something negative about mothers.

When you paint adventure as an indisputably force of good in your fictional world, and then paint motherhood as a stiffling force that you must escape to have your adventure, then that is an implicitly negative remark on what motherhood is. It's something to escape from, it's something that stiffles potential, something to resist once you are old enough to. Like I said, I'm sure it's well intended, but that plenty of men honestly, truly believed that a woman is happiest being a stay at home wife that raises the kids and cooks dinner didn't make it any less of a negative belief. Again, see waht I wrote in the first quote. In 800 chapters, motherhood is depicted shallowly, mostly taking care of kids until their old enough, then they go do whatever, usually because their too dead to do anything. I'm struggling to think of a scene that depicted anything more than how much mothers care about their children, rather than trying to help them choose their life goals/directions. Usopp's mother just stayed at home and was sick, Nami's mother protected them until she died, Robin's mother just told her how much she loved her and encouraged her to live, Ace's mother died by protecting him....Notice how none of them really have an active role in their kids lives, teaching them values or helping them strive toward their actual goals or anything.

I wouldn't mind if this was one or two, but this is more or less a consistent pattern from what I can see, and Oda saying quotes like painting motherhood under a brush like he did doesn't help. You can argue that a gender normative work isn't inherently bad. I can agree with that. But I do think that a work that encoruages gender norms for no clear reason and does it in a shallow manner so as to gloss over the negative implications of those norms, yeah, I do think that deserves to be criticized.

What about evolutionary Biology? If we're talking about hormones and such.

Tendencies in motherhood isn't a biological function, it's a social/psychological one. There is no hormone that makes you raise a kid a certain way, or even care about a kid. You can probably find evidence that many mothers find their kids doing something like talking for the first time indeed gives their brains a good ole seratonin blast, but that alone is too vague and broad to draw meaningful conclusions from. Lots of things give you brain a seratonin rush. If you have studies that talk about this, feel free to let me know and I'll go over them, but social norms are often used as to try to make sense of biological functions, but rarely are they anything close to comprehensive.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I do think that Robin's mom kind of bucked the trend there, moving from mere SBS conjecture to actual discussion of One Piece itself. She was out acting on her own agency, definitely not being particularly nurturing or finding herself confined to gender roles. Effectively having her own adventure while being a mother. One exception doesn't really break your thesis, but still it's nice to see.

Veelk

Banned
I do think that Robin's mom kind of bucked the trend there, moving from mere SBS conjecture to actual discussion of One Piece itself. She was out acting on her own agency, definitely not being particularly nurturing or finding herself confined to gender roles. Effectively having her own adventure while being a mother. One exception doesn't really break your thesis, but still it's nice to see.

eh....sort of. I mean, I agree. I said before that I'd rather see Robin's as the main character (if not the Glorious Captain Kidd), just because the void century is about the only overarching storyline of OP that I actually do legitimately care out, but if that's how we're taking this road, then Olvia would be a much better vehicle for that. She's a woman who bucks OP's trends to large extent.

Still, my point isn't to eliminate motherhood but to incorporate as part of the spirit of adventure, not be it's solvent at worst or catalyst at best. For Olvia to be a true subversion to what I'm talking about, I would say she would have a meaningful role in her life, and take Robin on with her on her adventures. Maybe you can argue that robin took to books to be close to her mother in a spiritual sense, but even that's stretching it, because then you just have a child longing for motherhood rather than motherhood trying to nurture the child toward that sense. You could also argue it's an age thing and OP just doesn't have it's characters age old enough before going on adventures, but that's still an authorial decision to seperate motherhood from adventure, rather than have it used as a guide and encouragement to achieve more agency

So Olvia's better than most...but still.

Yo Veelk, I've heard you give hints about your dislike for Sanji but I don't think I've ever seen you go into detail why you dislike him as much as you do.

Is it the faux chivalry thing in particular, or does it go further than that?

Shame about the whole dying a horrible death thing though.
Though being a heroic or strong willed mother in One Piece is like one of the only ways to ensure you'll die, so there's that.

Poor Sanji :(

Oda better give him the ill power up, and have him go 1 v Kingdom after all this, urgh :(
Lol 1vkingdom sounds hype as fuck lol!!

Sanji makes his way to the throne room quickly disposes of yonji. Than Bam! Niji and ichiji are standing in front of the throne room he takes them out after some blueno level struggle and than the 1v1
Sanji vs judge

I thought them debating constantly whether dbgt was bad I'm the dB super thread holy shit!

I was incredibly disappointed in Reiju this chapter. Really wanted her to stay evil, if only to give her a good fight later (lord knows Oda won't let Nami fight anyone else).

Also, I'm really glad this chapter established that Sanji's siblings are bad people. Don't think that was coming through in literally every chapter they've been in. /s

Yo Veelk, I've heard you give hints about your dislike for Sanji but I don't think I've ever seen you go into detail why you dislike him as much as you do.

He doesn't like people insisting that you shouldn't waste food.

Veelk

Banned

Well, sort of. It's a combination of a few things that combine to form a really ugly picture of who Sanji is.

Lets get the most obvious out of the way first. It's one thing for the World of OP to just have sexual objectification, but Sanji specifically is the celebration of that sexual objectification. Most other characters ignore it, even Usopp who isn't asexual like most of the cast. Sanji's the only one who makes it really clear and kind of creepy how every woman he encounters, unless she's full on monsterous looking, gives him a throbbing erection. It's one thing to appreciate women's appearances, it's another to literally lose all notions of sanity like Sanji does. On the whole, his gimmick is both obnoxious, pathetic, creepy, and not even really funny.

But it goes deeper than that into dehumanizing territory. He doesn't view women as people, but more like objects of pleasure. If they please him visually, then not only does he immediately assign virtues to them that based on that alone (remember, the only reason he found out Violet was a good girl in Dressrosa is because "I'll always trust a women's tears!"), is unable to hit them even when they have irrefutably proven to be trying to hurt him and his friends, but he also doesn't give that same respect to women that aren't beautiful, whether we are talking about that mermaid from Dressrosa or the transexuals that train him who all identify as women (it's kind of weird there weren't any women who identify as men there, now that I think about it), whom he is willing to insult, attack, and otherwise has such a fear and hatred for them that they literally power his attacks after the time skip. And it wouldn't be as bad if the series didn't go out of it's way to validate his beliefs. It's hard not to see the series reluctance to treat female combatants the same as men as not atleast associated with Sanji's belief that women should never be hit, no matter what kind of person they are. Because that's just it, they are a gender and sexual object first and a person second. More than any other character, Sanji embodies that.

And if you think I'm being overly negative in this, then I'll just cite you one specific moment that really broke the camels back for me with him. In Thriller Bark, Nami's entire storyline basically revolves around the idea that she is a sexual prize to be gotten. Absol basically wants to rape her. He actually wants to marry her, because if he was literally trying to rape her, then Oda wouldn't be able to keep the lighthearted, jokey tone of Absol wanting Nami, but that's basically what is happening. Because this plotline makes NO sense on a literal level. Like, lets say that Absol went through with the wedding and managed to land a kiss on Nami during the ceremony. Who the fuck would recognize that as official? Certainly not Nami, and even if somehow whatever unspecified church did officially recognize an unconcious woman being bonded to absol, she's a fucking pirate. She'll leave the moment she can. She's not gonna recognize any obligation to him, but somehow the final kiss is treated as some important thing taht if it happens, then Nami is lost to the crew forever. And when Sanji comes in to save her, do you know his reasoning for why he can't let Nami go? Because if Absol marries her, he won't be able to peep (sexually harass) her on the ship.

If Absol trying to marry her is a rape analogy, then Sanji's stated reasoning isn't about saving her as a person, but rather saving her virginity. Otherwise, even if Absol succeed, no one would care. Sanji's not upset that Nami's body is being violated without her consent, he's upset that something is being taken away from him. The conflict isn't about losing a respected and beloved teammember, but about losing a walking vessel of softcore porn. That's the point where I went from disliking Sanji to outright hatred, and put OP down several more notches in the enjoyability department. Honesty, Thriller Bark isn't the most blatantly sexist part of OP, but it is the subtextually creepiest.

If we put aside the sexism issue, then Sanji's story up until now has mostly been very uncompelling. While the worst part of him is how he embodies the sexism in OP, he's otherwise a normal character, which means his techniques are bullshit and make little sense, he's an asshole for no reason, and his cooking skills get no real depth to them other than making a comment on how a dish is good once in a while. If it weren't for his attitude toward women, all he'd ahve is is cooking, and it's depicted in an interesting way imo. And like someone else said, I think his idealogy of eating everything on the plate is stupid. It doesn't come up too often, but the way he insists that everyone eat ALL the food they are offered, even if they don't like it, is pretty obnoxious too.

Sanji is depicted as noble in various instances, and I can agree those in many senses, the recent one with how Sanji protected Cosette....but idealogy is one I find pretty reprehensible. If the argument was that Sanji protects Cosette because she's an innocent in Nij's childish tantrum, fine. But he's protecting her because she's a woman, first and foremost. And yeah, that's just not something I agree with.

Veelk

Banned
Well, I'd love to see you explain how the basic premise of Nami's storyline makes any sense whatsoever if we take it literally. Connect the dots explaining how Absol performing a faux marraige ceremony and kissing an unconcious nami would lead to the crew losing Nami in any way. Because his kiss, officiating the marriage, is looked on as a timer that would resolve the conflict in his favor.

2vDN9IU.png

That right there is laying out the set up and the stakes of the conflict. The kiss seals the deal. If Nami is a wife, she cannot go on adventures. How in the fuck would this ever make sense if taken literally.

Well, I'd love to see you explain how the basic premise of Nami's storyline makes any sense whatsoever if we take it literally. Connect the dots explaining how Absol performing a faux marraige ceremony and kissing an unconcious nami would lead to the crew losing Nami in any way.

We are not suppose to take a lot of stuff in the manga literally .
Also when was it said if Nami got fake married the crew would lose her ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom