• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
sasuke_evil_laugh_lol_gif_by_abdu1995-d4gxxbl.gif

No.
Finally something we can hate together. Cheers.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sasuke makes some pretty good evil faces tho you gotta give him that.

*sees gif*

...in the manga, at least.

So the actual quality of the translations was always the same, slight piratization aside? I ask because there was one scanlation that specifically started because they didn't like how Viz translation translated a lot of the early volumes, but apparently Viz is the best nowadays, so I'm just trying to get the story straight.

There were issues where Viz used inaccurate names to match the 4kids translation really early on, things like Zolo and Roguetown, and they've doubled down and are keeping them for the duration of the manga. I think that's the extent of those early issues, but there could be other things I'm not aware of.

Veelk

Banned
There were issues where Viz used inaccurate names to match the 4kids translation really early on, things like Zolo and Roguetown, and they've doubled down and are keeping them for the duration of the manga. I think that's the extent of those early issues, but there could be other things I'm not aware of.
Hm.

Well, I'm mainly asking for Naruto. If I'm going to read this depressing joke of a manga again, I may as well get the best translation. So is Viz the best then?

cordy

Banned
One Piece question fam...

I haven't been paying attention to One Piece since the very beginning of Punk Hazard. Just a few questions.

1.) Should I watch the anime or manga to catch up?
2.) Has it gotten better?
3.) How do you feel about the series as a whole right now?

Thanks.

Big One

Banned
One Piece question fam...

I haven't been paying attention to One Piece since the very beginning of Punk Hazard. Just a few questions.

1.) Should I watch the anime or manga to catch up?
2.) Has it gotten better?
3.) How do you feel about the series as a whole right now?

Thanks.
1. Manga. The anime still has horrid pacing.
2. Yes. Dressrosa was long as fuck though so it might be a drag, but it ultimately was a solid arc that planted a lot of seeds for things to come. Recently, ever since Zou, there's been big story reveals at a pretty rapid pace.
3. The current arc is exciting and is a bit different from the standard One Piece arc, so pretty good

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hm.

Well, I'm mainly asking for Naruto. If I'm going to read this depressing joke of a manga again, I may as well get the best translation. So is Viz the best then?

Sure, Viz it up. Though I don't know why you'd torture yourself with it when you hate it so much.

Actually didn't I see you saying you liked Naruto the character a lot in the MHA thread? No need to delve too deeply into it here, gimme the two-sentence summary.

I'm late on this discussion, but Veelk, I agree on most of your criticisms on Sanji. While there is an enduring nature to Sanji's chivalry, it's a massive flaw in his character. One that I'm not sure was completely unintentional on Oda's part.
If you examine Sanji from his first appearance to around Alabasta, Sanji was almost a flawless character. He was too perfect. So his negative qualities were "enhanced" post Alabasta and it's just been steadily increasing in tone ever since.
I don't believe Oda would attempt to "character assassinate" one of his main heroes like that. Even if the execution has been more miss than hit.
One of the things I'm hoping for in this arc is for Oda to show us the payoff of Sanji's character arc and make all those years of embarrassment worth it.

Veelk

Banned
Sure, Viz it up. Though I don't know why you'd torture yourself with it when you hate it so much.

Actually didn't I see you saying you liked Naruto the character a lot in the MHA thread? No need to delve too deeply into it here, gimme the two-sentence summary.

Two sentences? What is this, twitter?

It's for closure, basically. Naruto was my gateway anime, and I spent a long time as a big fan of it. Frankly, I still think much of part 1 is good things, especially the final arc where the build up between Sasuke and Naruto happened. Though as a grew older, my mind became more critical, and I could see the faults even in those early days, but I still liked a lot of it. Then Part 2 happened. I only followed it up to chapter 500 I think? It wasn't too long after the zombie war started. I want to read it all the way through, just so I have the full story. But I also heard summaries of what happened afterwards, and it sound really, really bad.

In my opinion, it's the worst manga I've ever read. I'm sure you could find worse stuff I've read on an objective level, but nothing took this much of a dive in quality from a fairly high spot. The Star Wars prequels are worthier continuations of their franchise than this, or atleast I feel like it.

One Piece is a story where my investment is time, because even though I've tried I feel very little for the characters or plotline it's set up, and I do close readings of it because there is a lot that it does very well in terms of plot structure and foreshadowing and such, even if I'm highly critical of much of it. But with Naruto, I was invested in it emotionally, and when it lit itself on fire, I got burned BAD from it. I don't like Naruto, as a whole. But it is a significant story that formulated much of how I see narrative today.

I don't believe Oda would attempt to "character assassinate" one of his main heroes like that. Even if the execution has been more miss than hit.
One of the things I'm hoping for in this arc is for Oda to show us the payoff of Sanji's character arc and make all those years of embarrassment worth it.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I wouldn't expect this to be some kind of scheme that Oda waited for years to pay off on...but idk, we'll see.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm late on this discussion, but Veelk, I agree on most of your criticisms on Sanji. While there is an enduring nature to Sanji's chivalry, it's a massive flaw in his character. One that I'm not sure was completely unintentional on Oda's part.
If you examine Sanji from his first appearance to around Alabasta, Sanji was almost a flawless character. He was too perfect. So his negative qualities were "enhanced" post Alabasta and it's just been steadily increasing in tone ever since.

I wouldn't exactly call him a perfect character. He's an insultingly rude individual most of the time he loses badly in the fight against Ghin.

cordy

Banned
1. Manga. The anime still has horrid pacing.
2. Yes. Dressrosa was long as fuck though so it might be a drag, but it ultimately was a solid arc that planted a lot of seeds for things to come. Recently, ever since Zou, there's been big story reveals at a pretty rapid pace.
3. The current arc is exciting and is a bit different from the standard One Piece arc, so pretty good

Dope, thanks.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I wouldn't expect this to be some kind of scheme that Oda waited for years to pay off on...but idk, we'll see.

You'd assume so, but when you look at Laboon and Brook and other stuff Oda's tied back to hundreds of chapters later, I don't think it was an accident.

I wouldn't exactly call him a perfect character. He's an insultingly rude individual most of the time he loses badly in the fight against Ghin.

He was mildly rude but he wasn't completely offensive to anybody. He called Zeff a shitty geezer, but it was in the standard "I care about you, but tough love and I owe a debt" fashion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You'd assume so, but when you look at Laboon and Brook and other stuff Oda's tied back to hundreds of chapters later, I don't think it was an accident.

He was mildly rude but he wasn't completely offensive to anybody. He called Zeff a shitty geezer, but it was in the standard "I care about you, but tough love and I owe a debt" fashion.

He's extremely rude to Zoro and Fullbody and while it is part of their gig the rest of the cooks at Baratie.

He's extremely rude to Zoro and Fullbody and while it is part of their gig the rest of the cooks at Baratie.

But most of it was the "cool" delinquent kind of rudeness that you see in a lot of anime characters.
It wasn't a trait that was anywhere near as controversial as "never hitting a lady even if I die".

Veelk

Banned
I don't think of a flaw as an actual flaw unless it leads to some negative consequence of some sort.

The worst that comes out of Sanji's rudeness is some dickmeasuring contests with Zoro.

smurfx

get some go again
Sanji's mom is dead, so this confirms that Pudding won't be joining the crew. You need to have a deceased/missing mother in order to gain Strawhat membership. lol
there is still time for blackbeard to murder big mom. somebody is going to take her out and i dont think it will be luffy. blackbeard ends up taking out whitebeard, big mom and finally shanks. luffy is going to have to be the big underdog when he finally takes on blackbeard and defeating him will make many consider him the pirate king. anyway i wonder why judge didn't just clone one of his sons and marry them off to one of big moms daughters. she might have never found out.

I feel the manga regularly punishes Sanji's lasciviousness.

His advances are usually met with scorn, and he's the butt of every other joke. No one gets it as bad as Sanji when it comes to One Piece's usual ribbing.

Man I hope Sanji has some secret strength up his sleeves we haven't seen yet--I'm tired of seeing him get his ass handed to him every other week.

Man I hope Sanji has some secret strength up his sleeves we haven't seen yet--I'm tired of seeing him get his ass handed to him every other week.
Tell me about it. I mean sure he has all those things against him(bracelets,zeff,kamabaka kingdom probably, and to an extent the strawhats themselves) but still! Dammit oda he hasn't won a single fight in the new world yet(fishman island don't count). Luffy,zoro,usopp and Franky been wrecking shit.

smurfx

get some go again
guess his upgrade might be some germa tech enhancement. that stealth technology his brother showed this chapter might come in real handy for sanji. the stealth tech especially stands out because he gets to hide himself without the need of the devil fruit he always wanted. wonder if a lot the tech we are seeing his brothers use is going to be taken by sanji.

I'll just post my theory:

Sanji will befriend another prisoner, a female (perhaps also in an iron mask). She will be a scientist who worked on the project though Sanji won't know the full details as a child. She could possibly be his mom.

Anyway while escaping Reiju will appear to help them but in fact will lead them into a trap with Judge. The woman will be killed by Judge. Sanji tries to save her but can't hurt Reiju for some reason. The woman says she's proud Sanjia gentleman who won't hit a woman before she dies.

In her head it's shown that after abuse by Judge the woman programed Sanji like the Germa soldiers, but in this case with the order not to harm women. Hence explaining that SBS years ago where Oda said it's not that Sanji won't hurt women, but that he can't and it frustrates him.

Sanji will then break this programming by hitting Reiju (or possibly Pudding, she's the splitting image of the 3-eye girl and if their twins why would only one have 3 eyes?) in order to save Nami.

So whats the deal with Luffy's Red Hawk(underwater no less) and Zoro's attack against Ryuma then?

Pretty sure it's just friction mixed with exaggerated physics.

Hey, hey I didn't say there was no reason. There is a 'reason' Sanji can, and it's dumb. For the other two:

Diable Jambe makes more sense than Asura. Oda had to sweep that one under the rug until he figures out how it makes sense.

Kworn

Banned
Are Devil Fruits gene manipulating devices much like what mutations do to the X-Men?

The latest chapter has had me wondering that Devil Fruits are not a natural occurring phenomenon and are or were created by man during the void century.
It all cam together when I was thinking about Vega Punk and Sanji's dad with Gene manipulation and it got me wondering.

Another thing was that Oda mentioned that nothing in the series was supernatural. Or am I misquoting here?

Syntsui

I didn't know the chapter was out yesterday, are we back to Wednesday regular schedule? What a great chapter, I'm really happy to know Reiju is actually good and will probably play an important role in the next few chapters.

I didn't know the chapter was out yesterday, are we back to Wednesday regular schedule? What a great chapter, I'm really happy to know Reiju is actually good and will probably play an important role in the next few chapters.

I think someone said there was a holiday in Japan this week so it came out early. We're probably back to Thursdays next week.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Red Hawk I think there are some wonky physics at play where yeah speed and friction are creating heat and flames. Zoro's whole moveset tho needs some explaining. I suspect we'll get it in Wano, it'll be his arc like this one's Sanji's, though to a lesser degree.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I imagine Asura and Zoro's other more "supernatural" abilities aren't LITERALLY manifesting in the world like that. It's a representation of his powerful spirit. I mean, there is precedent for such things to happen with abilities like Conquerer's Haki existing.

I honestly love Enies Lobby but it took some serious liberties with Zoro and Sanji both that rub me the wrong way to this day. I hope they both get explained. Everyone else's awesome EL powerups were. Red Hawk is a bit different, it's clearly armament haki/friction.

Extremely rude? Come on, the Baratie was made of pirate cooks and Sanji wasn't even a waiter.
Besides, Fullbody was a dick. And he said Zoro was an idiot because he was rushing for his death. Not long after that, he was worried when Zoro fought Mihawk to the point he yelled at him to throw away his dream if he wants to live. That's the "I pretend I don't care about you but I do" stuff, it's exactly what happened in his farewell. That's only offensive in shojo mangas. For shonen, this rudeness is manly stuff.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, this week's beating was because his brothers have him by the balls with their threats regarding Baratie, not necessarily because he's not strong enough to take them on (he's already given Yonji a good offseason smacking around that required a vise to get his head back into shape).

Sanji's situation is really similar to Nami's. He can do nothing unless he wants to risk Zeff getting canned, just like Nami and Cocoyashi Village with Arlong.

Wonder if we'll get a "Luffy help" scene where Sanji just breaks down and our man reminds him how much worth he has.

Hoping we get a chapter ending with Luffy walking away from a defeated Cracker and going "Sanji needs me."

Ray Down

Banned
Just noticed the two books sanji had in his room he was reading was Noland the Liar and the Devil Fruit encyclopedia or whatever.

Sanji's situation is really similar to Nami's. He can do nothing unless he wants to risk Zeff getting canned, just like Nami and Cocoyashi Village with Arlong.

Wonder if we'll get a "Luffy help" scene where Sanji just breaks down and our man reminds him how much worth he has.

Hoping we get a chapter ending with Luffy walking away from a defeated Cracker and going "Sanji needs me."
Rocking a sanji avatar..my man

Naruto pre shippuden is mostly all good IMO, you can watch the anime straight through.

Despite the dip in quality there are some good parts about shippuden that you can pick and choose.

- Asuma Arc
- Jirayia vs. Pain
- Diedara vs. Sasuke
- Naruto vs. Pain
- Sasuke vs 8 tales
- Great War has some good fights can mostly skip towards the end though, it's pretty weak until the concluding fights.

Back on topic, I think this is a great time to get back into OP, unfortunately I'm not sure we'll have quality anime again until after Dressrosa, but the manga is heating up.

Ray Down

Banned
Naruto pre shippuden is mostly all good IMO, you can watch the anime straight through.

Despite the dip in quality there are some good parts about shippuden that you can pick and choose.

- Asuma Arc
- Jirayia vs. Pain
- Diedara vs. Sasuke
- Naruto vs. Pain
- Sasuke vs 8 tales
- Great War has some good fights can mostly skip towards the end though, it's pretty weak until the concluding fights.

Back on topic, I think this is a great time to get back into OP, unfortunately I'm not sure we'll have quality anime again until after Dressrosa, but the manga is heating up.

That fight has 2 major stupid things that ruin it.

Sasuke somehow survive his blast in the most stupid way possible & Deidara somehow just trained his eyes to ignore and negate genjustu. I also hate how Itachi had to be shoehorned in to Deidara back story.

Am I the only one that dislikes the childhood trauma thing?

Well, it has been overused in One Piece. However, Sanji was already a functionable person, of course the past still hurts but it's not like the trauma affects his life. He lived free (unlike Nami and Robin) from the moment he started working at the Baratie until Zou. So I take that his current predicament (arranged marriage and the Zeff thing) is what brings him the angst. He is remembering his past now because of the people and the place surrounding him but I think he kinda overcame that (it's just revenge time and finishing this once and for all now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom