• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sanji had a really rough childhood. I sense big plans for Reiju (or Oda could turn things on its head).
I should have expected Luffy eating all of Cracker's soldiers, but it's still hilarious that he did it.

So Sanji killed his mom with his bad cooking.

I see foreshadowing of Sanji finally developing a fighting technique against women.

Read again. She was already dying. Spending all her time in the medical ward.
No Spee D. Readers

Veelk

Banned
So Judge didn't kill Sanji because he had a crisis of conscious. And people acted like he was some kind of inhumane monster when his love is so vast that it encompasses even Sanji. He's overly sentimental if anything.

Also, all those crackers without drinking anything? Luffy's mouth should be dry af

Wasn't Cracker's biscuits hard as metal? He literally made a heavy armor of them. How can Luffy eat them?

And didn't Reiju said that Judge was searching for Sanji since his departure? Unless the idea of marrying one of his sons came out right after, why would he leave Sanji go then? Well, I guess that at least explain why Sanji wasn't worried if he got a wanted poster.

And Sanji's mother doesn't have the eyebrows... Judge's eyebrows looks different from them too... So maybe it's not a Vinsmoke trait but a result from the enhancement... It really feels like the devil fruits might have something to do with this.

OP don't do the twist of good guy is turn evil
Well, we had the Galley-la workers that were actually CP9.

Voror

Decided to do a complete reread from scratch since looking in on this arc has reignited my interest in the series. That and my only familiarity with the early part of the series was the 4kids dub way back when. Never actually seen the entirety of Alabasta or anything of Skypiea.

Currently in the middle of the arc where they recruit Sanji and just go through meeting Mihawk for the first time. Long way to go though.

Also, the opinion of the anime seems to be pretty bad? I can only recall through Thriller Bark but I remember it being generally pretty good through what I saw of that. Did it drop in quality the longer it went on? I did hear the recent movies were good too though haven't seen any of them.

Syntsui

Decided to do a complete reread from scratch since looking in on this arc has reignited my interest in the series. That and my only familiarity with the early part of the series was the 4kids dub way back when. Never actually seen the entirety of Alabasta or anything of Skypiea.

Currently in the middle of the arc where they recruit Sanji and just go through meeting Mihawk for the first time. Long way to go though.

Also, the opinion of the anime seems to be pretty bad? I can only recall through Thriller Bark but I remember it being generally pretty good through what I saw of that. Did it drop in quality the longer it went on? I did hear the recent movies were good too though haven't seen any of them.

It all went to shit post time skip animation wise.

I just think that the manga has a much better pace. The animation isn't that good either, so I always recommend the manga over the anime for anyone interested.

Voror

It all went to shit post time skip animation wise.

Ah that's unfortunate, though I suppose that's a risk that happens with long running series. I didn't follow Naruto much but seem to remember seeing bits of the later anime looking pretty subpar. Movies still seemed to look good but that has the benefit of budget and a small contained story.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's a combination of subpar art & animation, plus pacing taking a MAJOR hit. The latter is where I feel it hurts the series.

To give you an idea: Dressrosa was 102 chapters. In the anime, it was 118 EPISODES! What the shit Toei?

Forced or not. I'ma be honest getting a bit tired of seeing sanji in that state since the timeskip with no payoff. Whatever happens here better be good man

So Judge didn't kill Sanji because he had a crisis of conscious. And people acted like he was some kind of inhumane monster when his love is so vast that it encompasses even Sanji. He's overly sentimental if anything.

Also, all those crackers without drinking anything? Luffy's mouth should be dry af

Jokes aside I thought it was legitimately interesting how Judge couldn't bring himself to kill Sanji.

Voror

It's a combination of subpar art & animation, plus pacing taking a MAJOR hit. The latter is where I feel it hurts the series.

To give you an idea: Dressrosa was 102 chapters. In the anime, it was 118 EPISODES! What the shit Toei?

That does sound pretty absurd. I thought one the nice things of the anime is that you can sort of condense several chapters into one episode generally.

Ah well, manga is still enjoyable thus far. It is sort of hilarious seeing the crew have trouble with villains that would be an utter joke now, though I'm not up to date on what everyone can do now. I think I saw that Luffy revealed Gear Four?

Also, Zoro's backstory comes across as a bit rushed reading it again. Granted, out of everyone I think his is actually the most simple. I mean I'm not sure what they could reveal for him aside some details on his parents since I don't recall there being anything on them.

Jokes aside I thought it was legitimately interesting how Judge couldn't bring himself to kill Sanji.
I really hated when he said that, sounded hypocritical as fuck. But yeah, it does make him interesting as a character because he also seems to genuinely love the others. It's good that he isn't totally a black and white character. He is still scum though.

Kreed

One Piece 841:

Other than Chopper's plan, I was really trying to figure out how Sanji would escape with Luffy while being worried about Zeff and his exploding collar, but Sanji's sister is definitely the key to making this possible. While I can't guess how they will keep Zeff safe from being targeted by Sanji's family (and Big Mom), having someone on the "inside" is a start.

Lunar15

In some ways, I wondered if Oda would tie in Sanji's extreme "chivalry" towards women into the fact that the only people who ever treated him right as a child were his sister and his mother.

But nah.

In some ways, I wondered if Oda would tie in Sanji's extreme "chivalry" towards women into the fact that the only people who ever treated him right as a child were his sister and his mother.

But nah.

I was hoping it wouldn't tie into his mom and sister because I wanted it to be something he picked up from Zeff.

Voror

I've been half thinking that Sanji might propose some sort of contest. If he can beat all his brothers, he walks. If he can't, he falls in line. I could see them taking the bait though it could go wrong for Sanji if he has to fight Reiju as well. He'd either lose or have to get past attacking women.

I've been half thinking that Sanji might propose some sort of contest. If he can beat all his brothers, he walks. If he can't, he falls in line. I could see them taking the bait though it could go wrong for Sanji if he has to fight Reiju as well. He'd either lose or have to get past attacking women.
Ooooo that sounds cool but like you said they'll pull a dick move and have Reiju fight him afterwards in which case he'd lose unless she stops being a jerk and actually help him out without hiding it

Voror

Ooooo that sounds cool but like you said they'll pull a dick move and have Reiju fight him afterwards in which case he'd lose unless she stops being a jerk and actually help him out without hiding it

Yeah, it would definitely be an opportunity to go into his exact reasons even if we can guess most of the possibilities.

But nah.
This still needs to be explained, maybe with a later flashback when Sanji finally has his serious fight. It's something that Oda brought many times, I don't believe he would leave this as an open interpretation for what Reiju and his mother did, it doesn't feel reasonable and satisfying.

The only problem is that I don't think Judge would accept that or Big Mom. But it could be cool.

Lunar15

I was hoping it wouldn't tie into his mom and sister because I wanted it to be something he picked up from Zeff.

Ultimately, I think it's just because that's how Oda views high-class butlers/waiters.

You could basically write it off as this for the longest time, but ever since the timeskip, Oda wrote Sanji into this weird, constantly angry, gremlin man. He doesn't really have the same charm or appeal that he once did, so now the whole "eat all your food" and "don't hurt a woman", stuff comes off as extra weird. He always had a temper and a foul mouth... the idea was that he was this contrast between a cool, confident butler type character and a hard-boiled tough guy type. But Oda tipped the scale too far in one direction, and now he's just kind of a joke character.

Sanji's Mom!

Judge is an asshole!

Sanji's brothers fucking beat on him after the knocked him down!

Reiju is not an asshole!

LUFFY GAINING THAT PIRATE KING TITLE ONE BITE AT A TIME

dabig2

I do like that Judge is more the asshole kind of evil instead of cackling mad villain evil. He's more CP9 dickishness (bar Lucci's serial killer ass) as opposed to an Enel or Doflamingo kin murderer, genocide levels of evil.

Maybe he runs off to Pound every time to get some juice to wash it all down.

This still needs to be explained, maybe with a later flashback when Sanji finally has his serious fight. It's something that Oda brought many times, I don't believe he would leave this as an open interpretation for what Reiju and his mother did, it doesn't feel reasonable and satisfying.

Yeah, I agree. I think there's still a gap here, and I wanna assume it has something to do with Sanji's mothers' death perhaps, but we've already seen Sanji after that event (when Judge storms into his room) and it didn't seem like he had been affected. Idk.

I kind of expected Sanji's reason for cooking to be something akin to that. Interesting chapter. We finally learn just how Sanji made it to the East Blue. Reiju actually seems good although we don't how much she has changed. Sanji's brothers continue to be dicks. Sanji's father continues to be an asshole.

I'm betting Luffy's going to one shot Cracker now that he's found a way to get rid of his armor.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The only people whof ever showed Sanji any love or compassion at Genma as a child were the few women there. Explains his over the top chivalry.

Metal B

The only people whof ever showed Sanji any love or compassion at Genma as a child were the few women there. Explains his over the top chivalry.
Zeff still was his biggest positive influence from childhood up to adulthood and he was male, so this would be very strange. But it could be, that Sanji always experiment a good side of any woman, he encountered. No matter, how they appear in first glance. So he could start believing, that this is a the norm and they can change much easier (which happens a lot in One Piece). But even this would need more then two examples to become a "rule".

I think, we still not have seen the full picture here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The character of sanji in a nutshell. Always losing because of outside reasons.
The only character he has legitimately lost to is Doflamingo (although he seemed outmatched by Vergo's armament).

Alyhough he is the 3rd strongest member, he is the dark ops of the crew, always planning ahead and working in the shadows to accomplish something. That's his role.

Zoro and Luffy do the heavy lifting on the front lines, Sanji goes on ahead for covert ops and intel. Franky is the 3rd wheel of the front line fighters.

Now has cracker been using like Awakening or some shit cause even the floor looks to be made of cookie.

Must be, how else would one make a limitless amount of biscuits? Not sure if this proves the Paramecia Awakening turn X into the thing theory. Would be hilarious if Luffy could turn things into Rubber

Big One

Banned
Sanji's mom looks a LOT like the female picture from that panel from Jaya. It makes me think how long Oda has been planning the Sanji stuff. I wonder if he intended on the introduction of the Germa 66 to be much earlier than what we're getting now, hence the stuff in Jaya building up to this arc.

Voror

Now has cracker been using like Awakening or some shit cause even the floor looks to be made of cookie.

I actually just read about Awakening on the wiki. So it's safe to say that Luffy hasn't Awakened yet and that happening might be the next major upgrade with his abilities after the Gears and Haki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom