• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Luffy, Nami, Sanji and Pudding and the rest are gonna need to find a way to save Zeff hide or else Sanji just stuck there trying to protect Zeff life even if the cuff get off him.

Metal B

Just read that Reiju's eyebrows curl in different direction. I like, how her design is interpreted into her character.

Sanji's mom looks a LOT like the female picture from that panel from Jaya. It makes me think how long Oda has been planning the Sanji stuff. I wonder if he intended on the introduction of the Germa 66 to be much earlier than what we're getting now, hence the stuff in Jaya building up to this arc.
Thinking about it, maybe the ship was from the Germa 66 attack on the East Blue. so that's why Sanji properly wasn't surprised seeing the picture there,
Edit: Nahh looking at it again, the painting has some elements, but her hair are not covering her eye ... so it is still a stretch.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sanji's mom looks a LOT like the female picture from that panel from Jaya. It makes me think how long Oda has been planning the Sanji stuff. I wonder if he intended on the introduction of the Germa 66 to be much earlier than what we're getting now, hence the stuff in Jaya building up to this arc.
Pj7RmEL.jpg

RomanceDawn

With the panels transitioning straight into a head stone I have a feeling we'll get more clarification on why and when Momji died. We'll probably get a name for her as well. It was all just too sudden for a flashback within a flashback to end that way I'd say.

-I didn't cry this chapter but I almost did a few times.
-Love the concrete explanation on Sanji's migration across the Red Line.
-Hope we get another panel or two with Sanji's fascination of the All Blue.
-Love Sanji being treated as royalty by everyone. Well besides his family of course.
-I have a feeling that the 4 brothers were modified in such a way be more heartless because of how Reiji was growing up. Do we know how much older she is than them? If she as toddler was showing empathy and such I could see Judge changing the formula up a bit to make sure the boys would be completely cold killing machines.

Can't wait to see more. It's so wonderful to have a super personal Straw Hat's story again!

Luffy gonna Luffy and thats how it should always be. Can't wait to see Cracker get knocked out. As for the Gear 4 cool down I could see Nami getting any of the Homies including that Lord she's riding in to hide Luffy for a while until he's ready to go again.

Just read that Reiju's eyebrows curl in different direction. I like, how her design is interpreted into her character.

All the Vinsmoke children have their eyebrows curled to the left on the left side of their heads. Sanji is the only one who curls to the right. Sanji is the opposite of Yonji, the others are probably symmetrical.

- -

Anyone excited to see a flashback of some of the Red Leg training that Sanji received from Zeff? Like I wonder how Sanji approached Zeff about being stronger, not being a liability on the ocean and so on? Sanji and Zeff immediately shared the dream of All Blue and already had it established that they both enjoyed cooking but how did the topic of fighting come about? Did Sanji divulge any of his past to Zeff or did training not to be defenseless just come up a little more organically when the Baratie received its first attack from pirates?

Oh and I like how Sanji held that knife up to Judge in the same way he held a knife up to Zeff.

Panzon

Great chapter! Damn Sanji's story is heart wrenching but at least his mom and sister were good to him

What if the plot twist turns out to be that Zeff is not really in any danger and it's all a bluff to manipulate Sanji? It'd be hilarious if they just show a panel of Zeff yelling at the workers or something while everyone was going nuts for no reason.

Also, lol at Luffy. Gotta love the guy

Luffy, Nami, Sanji and Pudding and the rest are gonna need to find a way to save Zeff hide or else Sanji just stuck there trying to protect Zeff life even if the cuff get off him.
Big Mom or the Vinsmokes doesn't really have anything particular against Zeff or Sanji. Once this marriage is dropped there will be no need to protect Zeff, because they are only doing that to force Sanji. The ultimate destruction of one of the parties would be enough to make the union a useless deal.

Honestly, I don't see much resemblance, as far as Oda's art style make almost all women look similar.

Can't wait for Reiju vs Sanji, it's totally happening only for the drama.

Hope it doesn't end like the fight he had with Kalifa, though.

Can't wait for Reiju vs Sanji, it's totally happening only for the drama.

Hope it doesn't end like the fight he had with Kalifa, though.

He won't attack or kick her at all. I do think he's going to end up leaving her in her own mess.

Not that I think we needed confirmation but this chapter does re-enforce pudding had not met Sanji and she was playing the StrawHAts.

Sanji's mom didn't even get an Oda box. Wow.

I liked this chapter even if it was still retreading on how horrible Sanji's father and brothers are.
Judge at least did something that I didn't expect and just let Sanji leave without stopping him. At least we can say that he won't go so far as to kill his own son.

I was hoping it wouldn't tie into his mom and sister because I wanted it to be something he picked up from Zeff.

In an SBS, Oda kinda of implied that Zeff wasn't responsible for Sanji's chivalry.

Sanji's mom didn't even get an Oda box. Wow.

I liked this chapter even if it was still retreading on how horrible Sanji's father and brothers are.
Judge at least did something that I didn't expect and just let Sanji leave without stopping him. At least we can say that he won't go so far as to kill his own son.

In an SBS, Oda kinda of implied that Zeff wasn't responsible for Sanji's chivalry.

What we can say is he didn't consider Sanji his son at all or enough of a person to even kill. I'm not giving Judge any credit for that.

Big One

Banned
I think the reason why Oda didn't give Sanji's mom an Odabox or a proper introduction is because I do not think this flashback is quite over. Sanji's part is, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Judge/Vegapunk flashback where her role in Judge's life is expanded upon.

Sanji's mom doesn't have swirlybrows, so I guess Judge has them hidden under his stupid helmet.
With his stupid face and stupid "neglecting Sanji"-ness.

tumblr_oea1zhj1eQ1veza2go1_540.jpg

ZoCd1km.gif
But his eyebrows certainly looks thicker/different. I'm leaning towards the theory that they are caused by the mutations used when you fuse DNA with devil fruits.

I think the reason why Oda didn't give Sanji's mom an Odabox or a proper introduction is because I do not think this flashback is quite over. Sanji's part is, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Judge/Vegapunk flashback where her role in Judge's life is expanded upon.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll have a Judge/Mom flashback at least.

What? How?
Reiju comments on how his face is messed up when he is getting ready to meet his future wife. Someone said something similar in a recent chapter. They commented on Sanji getting ready to meet pudding. He clearly hasn't met her yet so pudding was lying. I already thought that since people pointed out her only descriptions of him were all from his poster and that forest she sent them to is clearly a trap.

Big One

Banned
I think the sunken ship picture is supposed to evoke Sanji's ma rather than actually being her. Apart from the hair, they do look similar.
Yeah that's what I mean. I think Oda has planned this storyline for some time now. I really think it's possible he might've intended it to appear earlier than it ended up appearing. Why? Because back in Thriller Bark arc, an SBS mentioned that he was going to introduce Vegapunk soon which never quite happened, and now we're getting a storyline where Vegapunk could very well be revealed to explain how Devil Fruits work and whatnot. It makes me think Oda perhaps skipped over in in favor of the Ace storyline. Also not to mention the Vinsmokes are very clearly not all that crazy strong ala Doflamingo or Big Mom, since Sanji was able to stack up to his father if it wasn't for the Germa soldiers protecting him.

Reiju comments on how his face is messed up when he is getting ready to meet his future wife. Someone said something similar in a recent chapter. They commented on Sanji getting ready to meet pudding. He clearly hasn't met her yet so pudding was lying. I already thought that since people pointed out her only descriptions of him were all from his poster and that forest she sent them to is clearly a trap.

I think your misunderstanding the comment and completely dismissing what happened in chapter 834 when pudding is shown trying to leave that shop and Baron Tamago and her servants are delaying her. In that chapter she also had the comment to one of the people in the shop saying she has only met him once. Also in chapter 834 we found out its the homies who are the ones who were spying on the strawhats and giving up the info on them.

Reiju asked what he thinks about Pudding because she knows they supposedly already met. What Judge said in the previous chapter was to Sanji make himself presentable as they will have lunch with Big Mom and Pudding, so it would be their second encounter. I really think that her description of Sanji was really weird, but only a plot twist would make her a liar, as Jmanunknown says above (and I quote):

I think your misunderstanding the comment and completely dismissing what happened in chapter 834 when pudding is shown trying to leave that shop and Baron Tamago and her servants are delaying her. In that chapter she also had the comment to one of the people in the shop saying she has only met him once. Also in chapter 834 we found out its the homies who are the ones who were spying on the strawhats and giving up the info on them.
Exactly, although it's not 100% clear that the homies were responsible for discovering the details about the meeting, but it's very likely.

dabig2

What's Garp up to these days? If he's still in retirement mode in East Blue, maybe Luffy can call in a favor to help out Zeff. Speaking of Luffy's family and Germa 66, I wonder how they and the revolutionaries fit together. They seem like natural rival enemies. Wouldn't Dragon be pissed that these WG affiliated North Blue invaders were causing a ruckus in his home sea, East Blue? Of course might be a little too busy today to help out in this special case.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I bet ya the whole design of the Germa's kingdom is just based on Oda going "uhhh" after realizing he had to figure out how to move Sanji from one ocean to another. He knew he'd have to think of something someday, so "whole kingdom is mobile and on snails yep" eventually became the answer.

Voror

Does he really plan all this shit out that far in advance or is it only some things? Though I suppose it wouldn't be crazy for him to have outlines for the whole crew's backstories.

Whoa. This is beyond crazy.

What chapter/arc is that from?

Chapter 101, from August 23, 1999. More than 17 years ago, right after Loguetown.

I bet ya the whole design of the Germa's kingdom is just based on Oda going "uhhh" after realizing he had to figure out how to move Sanji from one ocean to another. He knew he'd have to think of something someday, so "whole kingdom is mobile and on snails yep" eventually became the answer.

They could use the Reverse Mountain, like everyone else, though. It's dangerous, but possible.

Does he really plan all this shit out that far in advance or is it only some things? Though I suppose it wouldn't be crazy for him to have outlines for the whole crew's backstories.

Sometimes I think he revisits things to use them in present arcs. But this talk about ships climbing mountains and Sanji saying "I've heard a bit" does look like legit foreshadowing. He does look like he is changing the subject since the Grand Line is a different subject than clmbing a mountain.

EMT0

Banned
tumblr_oea3j36QqZ1vthqwso3_540.png

tumblr_oea3j36QqZ1vthqwso5_540.png

HOLY SHIT

...god fucking damn. I'm really curious about this East Blue war that the Germa fought now. Going by the timeline, this happens the year before Shanks arrives in Luffy's hometown.

You guys remember how the Red Hair Pirates disappeared for a while before returning in time to save Luffy from Higuma? I've got a feeling the Red Hair Pirates were involved in ending this incident.

Voror

Chapter 101, from August 23, 1999. More than 17 years ago, right after Loguetown.

Sometimes I think he revisits things to use them in present arcs. But this talk about ships climbing mountains and Sanji saying "I've heard a bit" does look like legit foreshadowing. He does look like he is changing the subject since the Grand Line is a different subject than clmbing a mountain.

Christ, that far back? I'm actually getting to that chapter soon. Just got into Arlong Park.

That could definitely make sense like when he's planning out where to go next he looks at a list or something of notes of stuff he needs to follow up on or had planted. And yeah, that panel does seem like deflecting a bit though it'd be funny if it actually wasn't intended that way.

Do we actually have any idea how far into the overall story we actually are? Has he ever commented on that before?

Lunar15

I think Oda had planned for Sanji to come from somewhere other than East Blue for some time. It's hinted at in several places. That said, I don't think he wrote out the Germa 66 or anything like that until much, much later.

That said, I think Sanji "knowing a bit" about ships going up mountains comes more from the fact that he lived with Zeff who had sailed on the Grand Line and knew quite a bit about it.

If you want an interesting theory to chew on, consider the idea that the children have curly eyebrows because somehow their abilities are tied to the same force that creates devil fruits. Probably totally baseless, but it's a fun thing to think about.

Qvoth

tumblr_oea3j36QqZ1vthqwso3_540.png

tumblr_oea3j36QqZ1vthqwso5_540.png

HOLY SHIT

fuckin christ :O
called reiju helping sanji escaping, and voila
i still wouldn't trust her if oda didn't show her crying as well on what judge said to sanji, she should be fine
she'll probably backstab the family at the last second to let sanji go or something later on

I don't understand this GODA moment?

The official translation is:

Zoro: I've never heard of anyone sailing up a mountain before

Sanji: I think I have.

Zoro: About a mystery mountain?

Sanji: No, about the grand line. I heard you've got to be half-dead before you enter it. I knew it wouldn't be easy.

I don't understand what the big deal is lol, they're talking about reverse mountain, not the Redline itself.

Daingurse

Now I'm starting to come around to Reiju. She's the only sibling with any damn empathy, literally!

Luffy getting in this war of attrition with Cracker is fucking hilarious. I can't see Cracker's stamina matching Luffy's gluttony, hahaha.

I don't understand this GODA moment?

The official translation is:

Zoro: I've never heard of anyone sailing up a mountain before

Sanji: I think I have.

Zoro: About a mystery mountain?

Sanji: No, about the grand line. I heard you've got to be half-dead before you enter it. I knew it wouldn't be easy.

I don't understand what the big deal is lol, they're talking about reverse mountain, not the Redline itself.
Eh..we... know that? The reverse mountain is part of the red line. The way Zoro comments he didn't know ships could go up a mountain and Sanji saying he heard about it because he was there when the Germa ships climbed the red line is pretty impressive if it was intentional.

Veelk

Banned
I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned before, but another thing is Duval, known by his nickname Iron Mask, being Sanji's sorta look alike. That's probably a callback.

Eh..we... know that? The reverse mountain is part of the red line. The way Zoro comments he didn't know ships could go up a mountain and Sanji saying he heard about it because he was there when the Germa ships climbed the red line is pretty impressive if it was intentional.

They're specifically talking about Reverse Mountain, which yes is a part of the Red Line, but not a part that is impossible to climb over on a ship (the parts that aren't Reverse Mountain).

The panel right next to the one you posted has Sanji confirm he "heard" about how hard it is to enter the Grand Line (he says "No, the Grand Line..." etc.). In these panels he isn't saying I heard about ships that could climb the Red Line, but that getting into the Grand Line is as fucking hard as climbing a mountain.

That's how I read what you posted originally so I wanted to check the translation (got the first box set) to see if I was just interpreting it wrong.

Don't mean to blow on a Goda moment, I love them as much as the next guy, but I don't see it.

Veelk

Banned
The redline isn't a mountain anyway. It's a cliff. Well, it's actually just a huge line shaped continent, but it's a cliff for all intended purposes.

Red Fire

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned before, but another thing is Duval, known by his nickname Iron Mask, being Sanji's sorta look alike. That's probably a callback.

That has been mentioned a few times here last week.

I also think that oda had a rough idea of what to do with Sanji's past since the beginning. I think that is the case for every strawhat. As someone here mentioned maybe he intended to make this arc way before, just like with ace (oda wanted to let ace die a short time after his introduction, but it kinda dragged on). Or like how he wanted to do thriller bark before water 7 but changed it then.

Great chapter. I hate judge so much, what a piece of garbage.

That has been mentioned a few times here last week.

I also think that oda had a rough idea of what to do with Sanji's past since the beginning. I think that is the case for every strawhat. As someone here mentioned maybe he intended to make this arc way before, just like with ace (oda wanted to let ace die a short time after his introduction, but it kinda dragged on). Or like how he wanted to do thriller bark before water 7 but changed it then.

Great chapter. I hate judge so much, what a piece of garbage.
Thriller bark immediately after Skypeia probably would havr turned some people off given the responses those arcs get. Me!!? Would've been great. Plus can you imagine Brook added into the enies lobby stuff

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I doubt it is 100% planned out in his mind, but Oda remembers what he writes and knows how to tie it into new plotlines in a way that seems completely organic. It's his reverence for his own canon and the natural way he writes things (without retcons) in a medium where authors often don't do either of those things very well that's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom