• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Wow what a chapter. Probably one of the most perfect chapters in One Piece history. The panelling, the expressions, and even the dialogue was all top notch. Fantastic stuff.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think some people here are seriously underestimating the Commanders. Cracker was keeping up with Luffy in his Gear 4 form. Remember Doflamingo against Gear 4? Getting rekt. Remember Doflamingo against Sanji? Doing the wrecking. I think that's all that needs to be said
Doflamingo was also wounded from Gamma Knife, though. And I recall him saying he wasn't intimidated by Fujitora.

Really, when luffy was wrecking Doflamingo with Gear 4, Doflamingo was already in critical condition. I don't think Doflamingo would be out of place as a yonkou commander. If he is weaker than Cracker, it's not by much

So Luffy lost a tooth huh?

maxresdefault.jpg

Chapter was good. It's surprising to see Luffy see just how adamant he is about becoming Pirate King with the crew he made. It really harkens back to Zeff in the way he sacrificed his own nourishment to save Sanji. What this entails for the rest of the arc is unknown though. Is Sanji really going to solve his problems by himself?

Raxus

At this point I'd like to remind you guys Carrot, Pedro, Brook, Nami, and most importantly Jinbei are in this arc and will most likely do something to get Sanji to come back. I am kind of glad Luffy is cutting himself out of the arc since it gives lots of other characters screen time.

At this point I'd like to remind you guys Carrot, Pedro, Brook, Nami, and most importantly Jinbei are in this arc and will most likely do something to get Sanji to come back. I am kind of glad Luffy is cutting himself out of the arc since it gives lots of other characters screen time.
Reiju and pudding are about to be turn costs as well(its happening) and for now all the homies will be on nami's side

I think Luffy's tooth will be "back". Usopp lost a lot of teeth during fights and they "magically" appeared again. I guess it's just for illustration, like some gag bumps and bruises.

You're forgetting Caesar, the guy is gonna blow up this whole shit island. lol

I think Luffy's tooth will be "back". Usopp lost a lot of teeth during fights and they "magically" appeared again. I guess it's just for illustration, like some gag bumps and bruises.

Yooooo I forgot he was on the island..holy shit a massive wild card

Dem feels. Oda you better resolve this.

And I don't think Luffy will be grounded. When they discover the truth about Sanji's situation he will move his rubber ass.

No, I predict Luffy will do what he declared and stay in that spot without eating anything until Sanji comes back.
He might tell Nami to help Sanji out or something of the sort.

Only way Luffy is moving is if another Commander or Big Mom herself shows up.

Hopefully, along with his gassy self too.
eyebrow.gif

Kreed

I think it has less to do with Sanji's value and more to do with how much Luffy has grown as a captain.

Right, I'm saying this from Luffy's perspective as a character that his crew has more value to him now than they used to, not specifically saying Sanji's value has gone up.

Big One

Banned
There's actually a major difference between how Luffy fought Usopp compared to how he fought Sanji. Usopp was fighting for something he genuinely believed in, while Sanji was not. I think this is why Luffy didn't fight back this time cause Sanji was being disengenuine.

Ray Down

Banned
There's actually a major difference between how Luffy fought Usopp compared to how he fought Sanji. Usopp was fighting for something he genuinely believed in, while Sanji was not. I think this is why Luffy didn't fight back this time cause Sanji was being disengenuine.

Agreed.

Lunar15

Sanji doing what he's doing is trash-tier writing, but I did actually like Luffy's response.

Either way, this whole event is stupid, redundant, and silly to have at this point in the series.

Whole thing feels flat, and it shows.

caliph95

Glad i'm on a forum because i'm too stupid and forgetful to notice shit like this

EMT0

Banned
Since when has this turned into One Feels
jn2tplayyfjpsfmsy2.png

Though I really can't imagine Luffy to stand there to wait for Sanji

It's been One Feels since Alabasta. But man, this chapter hit me right in the feels. And it looks like Luffy himself won't be the one to salvage the wedding for Sanji. That leaves a few players up in the air to ruin it; the present bomb, Carrot and Chopper, Brook and Pedro, Capone Bege(this guy's my bet), and potentially Jinbe. The buildup has been insane for this arc.

Veelk

Banned
Well, I will admit that this is still a better sad OP moment than most. But all the same, it has the basic problem most of them do, that there is no tension to them. There's no point of uncertainty for me, that Luffy wouldn't take the hits, or that Sanji wouldn't be the one who leaves crying, that Luffy would feel conflicted over Sanji's seeming betrayal, or anything. Maybe if the Vinsmokes weren't painted as such laughable cartoon villains, you could create some kind of tension point of Sanji being legitimately conflicted over his obligations to his family and to his crew. But as it is, it's clear that the only thing preventing Sanji from leaping back into Luffy's arms is the threats against Zeff by the bad guys, and the solution to that problem is the same as it's ever been: Punch em in the face, which is the end point of virtually every OP arc. So instead of complexity or tension, OP favors bombast and melodrama as always, with Sanji making an overthetop Tsundere "Don't think that I wanted to be in your crew, B-baka!" to Luffy, while he counters with an even more over the top "Well, I'M GONNA SIT HERE AND STARVE MYSELF UNTIL YOU FEED ME".

It obviously works for you lot, and that's fine, not trying throw shade or anything. It just doesn't do much for me.

NSESN

I'm glad Oda didn't make Luffy buy the story, he even called out sanji that he knows more than anyone that he isn't going to fall for that.

Sanji doing what he's doing is trash-tier writing,

Either way, this whole event is stupid, redundant, and silly to have at this point in the series.

Whole thing feels flat, and it shows.

Please explain in detail how it's trash-tier writing.

Think about the type of person Luffy is and think about the situation Sanji is in.

It's been One Feels since Alabasta.

You mean Chapter 1.

Well, I will admit that this is still a better sad OP moment than most. But all the same, it has the basic problem most of them do, that there is no tension to them. There's no point of uncertainty for me, that Luffy wouldn't take the hits, or that Sanji wouldn't be the one who leaves crying, that Luffy would feel conflicted over Sanji's seeming betrayal, or anything. Maybe if the Vinsmokes weren't painted as such laughable cartoon villains, you could create some kind of tension point of Sanji being legitimately conflicted over his obligations to his family and to his crew. But as it is, it's clear that the only thing preventing Sanji from leaping back into Luffy's arms is the threats against Zeff by the bad guys, and the solution to that problem is the same as it's ever been: Punch em in the face, which is the end point of virtually every OP arc. So instead of complexity or tension, OP favors bombast and melodrama as always, with Sanji making an overthetop Tsundere "Don't think that I wanted to be in your crew, B-baka!" to Luffy, while he counters with an even more over the top "Well, I'M GONNA SIT HERE AND STARVE MYSELF UNTIL YOU FEED ME".

It obviously works for you lot, and that's fine, not trying throw shade or anything. It just doesn't do much for me.

I disagree, Veelk. There's various ways to execute tension and in this scenario, the tension is "how".
How will Sanji resolve is two dilemmas?
How will Luffy and Nami change their plans with this new development?
How will this test the bond between Sanji and Luffy?
How will this strengthen his position on the crew?

Maybe it doesn't do much for you, but to say there's no tension is just not accurate.
Punching his father in the face isn't going to save Zeff from death or keep Sanji's hands from exploding. Comparing it to tsundere tactics is missing the point.

NZerker12

The feels in this chapter man.

Luffy knows his crew better than anyone so he knows when they are bullshitting him. He may be a idiot in pretty much everything else but when it comes to friends, family and fighting he is a genius.

Veelk

Banned
How will Sanji resolve is two dilemmas? What dilemmas? Once he gets Zeff and his hands out of danger, there's no reason he can't go back to the strawhats. He has literally no reason to be there beyond coercion. Sanji's not dealing with a dilemma, he's dealing with a threat.
How will Luffy and Nami change their plans with this new development? That's unknown, but I assume it involves making sure the Vinsmokes and Big Mom are too punched in the face to do anything, like always.
How will this test the bond between Sanji and Luffy? It won't. Again, Sanji has no reason to not to go back beyond coercion and Luffy already stated he has no reason not ot just accept him back.
How will this strengthen his position on the crew? I'm kind of lost to what this means. Every member of the crew is already indespensible as far as Luffy was concerned. You can say he learned to value his crew even more, but shit, he was already willing to go to hell and back for Robin after Skypiea and one other lazy arc with her. It doesn't exactly take much to gain a super strong standing with the straw hats. So I'm lost to what Sanji strengthening his position in the crew would even signify.

I mean, tension is subjective, so I accept that you feel those are uncertainties in play, but I don't.

Maybe it doesn't do much for you, but to say there's no tension is just not accurate.
Punching his father in the face isn't going to save Zeff from death or keep Sanji's hands from exploding. Comparing it to tsundere tactics is missing the point.

Yes it will. I mean, thats how every OP conflict is ultimately resolved, you beat the enemy down until they can't get up anymore, and then they don't bother you. Sometimes, sure, Oda introduces a subplot that can't be handled by just pure physical force, but that's rare. In any case, the only hold that these guys have on Zeff is that they'll go kill him if Sanji doesn't play along. So it feels like hurting them to the point they are not capable of going after Zeff would be a realistic plot resolution to it. The only other way is that they somehow erase the information Big Mom/Judge has on Zeff, so they can't find him, but since the guy runs a pretty famous resturant, idk if it'll be that hard.

Yes it will. I mean, thats how every OP conflict is ultimately resolved, you beat the enemy down until they can't get up anymore, and then they don't bother you. Sometimes, sure, Oda introduces a subplot that can't be handled by just pure physical force, but that's rare. In any case, the only hold that these guys have on Zeff is that they'll go kill him if Sanji doesn't play along. So it feels like hurting them to the point they are not capable of going after Zeff would be a realistic plot resolution to it. The only other way is that they somehow erase the information Big Mom/Judge has on Zeff, so they can't find him, but since the guy runs a pretty famous resturant, idk if it'll be that hard.
That's a weird perspective.
Given the nature of the type of manga One Piece is and the audience it is aimed at, punching the snot out of the bad guys is expected. It's what people want to see. It's why the baddies are so nefariously evil and despicable.
However, like you mentioned, beating up the villain doesn't resolve every subplot and it's not really rare at all.
Examples:
- Beating Crocodile didn't stop the rebellion in Alabasta
- Beating Lucci didn't stop the Buster Call
- Beating up Moria didn't stop Kuma from wrecking the crew in Thriller Bark. Ally or no ally, he still had them in the worst position imaginable.
- Magellan....well we know how that went.

Why are you assuming that Judge doesn't have his people stationed nearby Baratie, waiting for a phone call from him to give the order?
Even if Judge gets his clocked clean, what's stopping him from communicating with them once he awakens? Unless he dies, which is just as unlikely as Sanji permanently leaving the crew.

Veelk

Banned
That's a weird misinterpretation.
Given the nature of the type of manga One Piece is and the audience it is aimed at, punching the snot out of the bad guys is expected. It's what people want to see. It's why the baddies are so nefariously evil and despicable.
However, like you mentioned, beating up the villain doesn't resolve every subplot and it's not really rare at all.

By my measure, it's very rare. The last time it happened, was back in Punk hazard where Ceaser thought he had Law's heart but it was actually monet's. That was resolved with trickery rather than fists. But besides that...idk, I can't think of the last major antagonist that was beaten by something other than just huge amounts of violence.

As for violence against baddies being the name of the game, maybe to some extent, but My Hero Academia introduces plenty of problems that are resolved by something other than violence, far more so than OP, so I see it as possible atleast.

Why are you assuming that Judge doesn't have his people stationed nearby Baratie, waiting for a phone call from him to give the order?
Even if Judge gets his clocked clean, what's stopping him from communicating with them once he awakens? Unless he dies, which is just as unlikely as Sanji permanently leaving the crew.

Because there is nothing to suggest he does? I mean, that's a possibility, but possibilities are literally infinite, so if you just want to start making up tension points that haven't been introduced, then you're kind of doing Oda's job for him. And if you can do that, then I can counter that with making up resolutions that haven't happened. So what if Judge has his people stationed around Zeff? Well, what if Zeff is stronger than these losers and has already kicked their ass.

Lets deal with only what we actually know. As of right now, all Judge did was make the vague "shame if something were to happen to zeff" threat. The solution up to now has been to just kick the asses of the bad guys and I see no reason to believe it wouldn't work now.

image.php

I feel a little shade.

I sometimes feel it's impossible to disagree with some members of this community without them feeling insulted. I've tried every possible approach I can think of to criticize OP without people getting mad, and someone inevitably does. So at this point I'm just blunt about it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I sometimes feel it's impossible to disagree with some members of this community without them feeling insulted. I've tried every possible approach I can think of to criticize OP without people getting mad, and someone inevitably does. So at this point I'm just blunt about it.

I think it was the "you lot."

Anyway I liked that big frown face on Sanji, art-wise. It's fun sometimes to see an emotion from a character you've never really seen on them before. He's been sad and cried and stuff, like leavin Baratie, but boy never like that.

Big One

Banned

What will it take for One Piece to make you happy? You give the series scrutiny for doing the same shit every other story out there does, including those you viciously defend like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. There's no logic or rhyme or reason for this whatsoever.

Veelk

Banned
Edit you know what nevermind don't wanna be apart of it, it's such a good day and I enjoyed the chapter myself that's enough carry on guys
Fair enough.

What will it take for One Piece to make you happy? You give the series scrutiny for doing the same shit every other story out there does, including those you viciously defend like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. There's no logic or rhyme or reason for this whatsoever.

*Shrug*

The parts that I like about OP is it's meticulousness to plot detail and even if I think it's over the top in some cases, I enjoy the scale of conflicts it inspires. I like the big sense of mystery surrounding the void century. To name a few recent things, I like the concept of Zou (the island) a lot, I think the Emperors are all really cool, and I actually do enjoy it when Marines get into the mix for some reason. On a more detailed character level, I think Doflamingo is the best villain the series has had thus far, though I could make criticisms of him as well, and I already established that I really like just about all the Supernova's. Even minor ones like Capone give me the impression that they are protagonists in the world of OP in a way that other side characters don't.

I think the best way to describe my reactions to OP is that everything about it that I like comes in small portions on a plate with larger portions of stuff I don't like. To remove those larger portions are in some cases unrealistic to expect to happen, some of them would be impractical just because of how the rest of the story is structured, and in other cases the small portions I like are so integrated with the stuff I don't that it's impossible to separate.

I don't know exactly what would be my ideal OP arc would look like. But as for my consistency, I told you before, there is no real way of saying X does the same thing as Y. You can say their similar, but context is always important and it changes how I react to things. So liking something that X series does and not liking it when Y does it isn't inconsistent in my eyes, and the scrutiny that is applied afterwards isn't about justifying my dislike but trying to figure why it worked in X but not in Y.

You seem to think that I figure out my 'rule' for determining whether I like something, then react afterwards. It's the other way around. I react, then analyze why. And sometimes, I can't even put my finger on why I feel differently about a similar thing in two different series. But what am I supposed to say, "Well, I guess since I cannot figure out a reason why I feel differently about these things, I will force myself not to"? Even if I am inconsistent, what is that suppose to imply other than that I'm not a robot?

I think it was the "you lot."

I mean...I just meant all of you, the general OP community!

Other than Lunar and I, everyone is reacting positively to the chapter. How is it shade to acknowledge the general OP population liked the chapter?

Kreed

As readers, we know Sanji's perspective so it's easy to think this since we know Sanji is lying. However from Luffy's perspective, there's no reason for Luffy to believe Sanji is lying outside of his faith and value in Sanji, which is growth IMO and something he didn't show during previous "crew fights", regardless of the reasoning/different circumstances that resulted in the splits.

The feels are real. Something I wanted to touch on, that may have been mentioned, that might be obvious but I thought was a lovely and subtle touch is
Luffy saying he is going to starve himself. Really hits hard to Sanji having nearly starved to death in his backstory and how it pertains to the relationship with Zeff. I love how Oda is using it and I'm so curious how much the idea that Luffy might starve to death resonates and in whats ways it resonates with Sanji

I'm also so glad there isn't a break next week. I think my spirit would have died if there was.

The feels are real. Something I wanted to touch on, that may have been mentioned, that might be obvious but I thought was a lovely and subtle touch is
Luffy saying he is going to starve himself. Really hits hard to Sanji having nearly starved to death in his backstory and how it pertains to the relationship with Zeff. I love how Oda is using it and I'm so curious how much the idea that Luffy might starve to death resonates and in whats ways it resonates with Sanji

I'm also so glad there isn't a break next week. I think my spirit would have died if there was.
I want luffy to legit stay in that spot and look like zeff by time sanji shows

Salbug

That declaration luffy makes is totally unprecedented, not even Zoro, Nami or Robin ever got something like that line.

wow, just wow.

:(

It's a pretty powerful statement when you consider that eating a lot of meat basically empowers Luffy, especially when it's cooked by Sanji.

Also, this chapter... :,<

smurfx

get some go again
1477457152853.jpg

This arc is down there with Fishamn island for me. The Vinsmokes are hody tier villans.
yup and so far the big mom pirates haven't been that exciting as well. hoping the guests coming to the wedding will be the ones who make things exciting again. also jimbei is basically going through the same thing as sanji except he has his pirate crew and all of fishman island in danger if he leaves. don't know what the hell luffy is going to do to get him out of this. sanji has it easy compare to jimbei.

Yes Pappa Vinsmoke, Sanji severed those bonds truthfully and completely. There's no reason at all for you to take out the person who will eventually fight Big mom and ruin your plans.

As readers, we know Sanji's perspective so it's easy to think this since we know Sanji is lying. However from Luffy's perspective, there's no reason for Luffy to believe Sanji is lying outside of his faith and value in Sanji, which is growth IMO and something he didn't show during previous "crew fights", regardless of the reasoning/different circumstances that resulted in the splits.

I think that Luffy's perception haki betrayed Sanji's motives behind his kicks. That's why Nami said he was going crazy after so many kicks, but she actually can't feel Sanji like Luffy, although she knows that something is wrong with him.

yup and so far the big mom pirates haven't been that exciting as well. hoping the guests coming to the wedding will be the ones who make things exciting again. also jimbei is basically going through the same thing as sanji except he has his pirate crew and all of fishman island in danger if he leaves. don't know what the hell luffy is going to do to get him out of this. sanji has it easy compare to jimbei.

How does sanji have it easy compare jimbei ?
In fact big mom told jimbei it okay to leave once he pay a price as crazy as that price may be .
Sanji can't even do that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom