• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalchAC

I don't see why Warlords are a big deal now. Luffy was beating them since before he got Gear 2, Moria always came off as weak to me since he mostly just seemed powerful because of his ability to gorge on shadows, Luffy already more or less has an ally in Hancock, Trafalgor being part of the crew didn't raise their chances overly much and he was Shichibukai levels of strength....

The only ones to be weary of nowadays that seem to live up to the hype would be Mihawk, Doflamingo, and Kuma. And Weevil too, probably. But all in all, Shichibukai are a gang of mostly decent fighters with 3 or 4 at best world class fighters.

So I wouldn't worry about Jinbei, who seems closer to Crocodile tier of power, being overpowering.

Crocodile is a victim of being the first big bad guy Luffy defeated. And Luffy only beat him after:

A) Being impaled and saved by someone else.
B) Got most of the water in his body sucked out of him, and being saved because of some of the water he brought to the battle falling from the sky.
C) Being mortally poisoned and saved by Robin.

His biggest issue is that he was overdependant on his Devil Fruit, just like Ace. It's important to notice that both characters were revealed before Haki was a thing.

Armored Haki exists in order to give normal people a way to fight Logia users.

Right now it seems power levels are quite established. But back then it wasn't as clear. I mean, Mihawk first appaerance wasn't all that impressive all things considered. His power have been buffed since his battle against Zoro.

You're right. Mr 2 is a great guy :p

I don't dislike Jinbei. I just don't want him to join the crew. Am alliance would be great.

Thank you.

I dunno. Jinbei still looks like a character that will die to me. Due to how important character interactions are in One Piece (especially the humor and stuff) Oda can't really kill a Strawhat. But he likes some personal drama since:

He made the Going Merry feel like a member of the Strawhats in Water 7 so killing him would feel meaningful.
Then he killed Ace, Luffy's brother and a character that helped the crew a bunch of times.

Now we've been teased that Jinbei is the next Strawhat. Yet he seems to be an underling of Luffy's enemy. Mark my words.

He'll be killed after finally agreeing to join Luffy's crew, but before he becomes a part of the cast. He'll be the reason why there will be a big ass fight against Big Mom.

Or it could be Law. Maybe to nullify Kaido's inmortality. But one of those two is totally dying.

His biggest issue is that he was overdependant on his Devil Fruit, just like Ace. It's important to notice that both characters were revealed before Haki was a thing.

Armored Haki exists in order to give normal people a way to fight Logia users.

Right now it seems power levels are quite established. But back then it wasn't as clear. I mean, Mihawk first appaerance wasn't all that impressive all things considered. His power have been buffed since his battle against Zoro.

The bolded is what I always mention when discussions about Crocodile come up.

However, we should also note that Crocodile was the only logia noted to be capable of activating his power on reflex.

I think the main thing that made the Shichibukai hype before the timeskip was a mix of strength and experience. We should also note that the Shichibukai that were beaten before the timeskip were two who had gave up on their dreams and settled for their current situation. Moria in particular was flat out said to have gotten weaker than he was before.

bjork

I also have these "death" vibes coming from Jinbei and Law.

Law? I mean yeah

ibtp0jr.jpg

RomanceDawn

Jinbei dying, yohohohoho! Anyone dying, lol. This is One Piece.

This aint 2010 no more. Gotta find a better argument and/or gut feeling.

The dude has inherited will, he can't die.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jinbei is basically confirmed tenth crew member. He even said he was going to join already.

Kornflayx

Kaido? Please.....

Luffy and crew are coming to Wano and Zoro is already sitting on throne with Kaido bloody at his feet. Believe it

You think we will get an update on other SH whereabouts now? I hope not -.-

We didn't find out what Sanji and his portion of the crew were doing until after the major stuff in Dressrosa was settled. Don't think we'll be getting any update on Zoro and the rest anytime soon.

I actually agree here especially Brook. At least chopper had had key doctoring moments in fishman island,punk hazard and Zou. I don't get that sense from Brook...well ever. He did lil small things here and there I suppose

Yeah, that's why I'm not really enthusiastic about new people joining (unless if it's Hancock or Bonney), because Oda can't even proper develop the ones who aren't Luffy Zoro, Sanji, Nami or Usopp (the original 5).

Yeah, that's why I'm not really enthusiastic about new people joining (unless if it's Hancock or Bonney), because Oda can't even proper develop the ones who aren't Luffy Zoro, Sanji, Nami or Usopp (the original 5).
I'd add Franky to this tho. Franky has been consistently awesome since he joined. Robin,brook and chopper really need the time to shine(tho I loved Robin in dressrosa even if she didn't get a fight)

I agree Sanji's "betrayal" feels flat, but Luffy's response (and Sanji's ensuing crying face) was so powerful that I don't really mind.

Ugh all these years never would have guessed I'm now triggered by anyone typing out "nakama"

Haha, yeah. That feels so ancient to me now.

Red Fire

I'd add Franky to this tho. Franky has been consistently awesome since he joined. Robin,brook and chopper really need the time to shine(tho I loved Robin in dressrosa even if she didn't get a fight)

Absolutely. Franky has been a beast ever since. I'm still salty he got such a weak bounty bump after singlehandedly and simultaneously wrecking a vice admiral and his marines and senor pink (delinger was also there) AND destroying the damn factory.

Franky is pure awesomeness

Absolutely. Franky has been a beast ever since. I'm still salty he got such a weak bounty bump after singlehandedly and simultaneously wrecking a vice admiral and his marines and senor pink (delinger was also there) AND destroying the damn factory.

Franky is pure awesomeness
Yea I don't really agree with his small increase either. Punk hazard he took out baby 5 and Buffalo without much effort, dressrosa he took on senior than senior,mach vise and dellinger and the Marines showed up at some point during the battle, got back up fought senior again and only took as much damage as he did because if the "manly" battle they did. Dudes deserved at least pre timeskip zoro bounty

Ray Down

Banned
Sanji takes another L, from SBS 83:

Q: Why do Doflamingo and Violet call each other "Doffy" and "Viola"?

Oda: Actually there is a profound setting about it, but I'm afraid I can't tell you. I told my editor about it, though.
Considering ONE PIECE is Shonen manga, I'd like to hide it since the reason is for adult audience. Dressrosa is a nation of passion, indeed!!

Veelk

Banned
Didn't "Doffy" frame her father for what basically amounts to a war crime, rip apart her family, and basically ruin her life on every conceivable level?

Either I have some serious questions of character to ask Violet, or passion is the wrong word to describe whatever it is that she and doflamingo had.

And I find it bizarre how oda has no issues with sexual objectification but sex itself oh no won't someone think of the children

Red Fire

Yea I don't really agree with his small increase either. Punk hazard he took out baby 5 and Buffalo without much effort, dressrosa he took on senior than senior,mach vise and dellinger and the Marines showed up at some point during the battle, got back up fought senior again and only took as much damage as he did because if the "manly" battle they did. Dudes deserved at least pre timeskip zoro bounty

Exactly. Franky is suuuuuupeerrrrrrrrr indeed.

Oda: Actually there is a profound setting about it, but I'm afraid I can't tell you. I told my editor about it, though.
Considering ONE PIECE is Shonen manga, I'd like to hide it since the reason is for adult audience. Dressrosa is a nation of passion, indeed!!

LOL

Lol sanji has pudding screw her. She couldn't dance anyway

GhostBed

Didn't "Doffy" frame her father for what basically amounts to a war crime, rip apart her family, and basically ruin her life on every conceivable level?

Either I have some serious questions of character to ask Violet, or passion is the wrong word to describe whatever it is that she and doflamingo had.

And I find it bizarre how oda has no issues with sexual objectification but sex itself oh no won't someone think of the children

Damn. Fair point.

Didn't Trebol, Doggy and Pica also call him by the name "Doffy"?

Also I'm pretty sure Doflamingo called her by her alias "Violet", not her real name, Viola, in their brief exchange.

Veelk

Banned
Didn't Trebol, Doggy and Pica also call him by the name "Doffy"?

Also I'm pretty sure Doflamingo called her by her alias "Violet", not her real name, Viola, in their brief exchange.

It's oda being oda in an sbs. Nothing new there...

I hope that is what it is. I personally barely remember Violet, all I recalled was that she was the daughter of Riku and a double agent. Even now, I literally can't even remember if Doffy and Viola had a scene together.

So if this is oda just being facetious again, whatever, I'd prefer that than it being the actual happening in the Manga.

I simply associated the use of "Doffy" as a more personal use of his name. Trebol and the other top execs use it because they've known him for most of his life. Can't say I've consciously noticed Violet call him that tbh. Always thought it was "Young Master" to the regular execs.

I say "Doffy" because am I hell typing "Doflamingo" every time when there's a readily usable nickname already there.

dabig2

I hope that is what it is. I personally barely remember Violet, all I recalled was that she was the daughter of Riku and a double agent. Even now, I literally can't even remember if Doffy and Viola had a scene together.

So if this is oda just being facetious again, whatever, I'd prefer that than it being the actual happening in the Manga.

With you there. That would be a little fucked up. Even if they did sleep together and I could maybe buy that since she was a femme fatale type of double agent who was faking collaboration, I wouldn't necessarily joke about that being "passion". She hated his guts for tearing apart her family and kingdom. And no, definitely not a Stockholm syndrome situation.

What i got from that was that Doflamingo was even more despicable than what we know and basically forced her to do sexual shit with him.

Glad Oda didn't add it as a point in the manga because, tbh, his handling of women characters have been pretty abysmal lately, to say the least.

Jesus Christ, Oda. Passion? What is with him? Great comic, my favorite of all time. But that's fucked up considering what he did to her family. Even if Oda was joking, to joke about it seems weird as fuck to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom