• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taborcarn

Theory: The bomb is strong enough to straight-up kill Big Mom. Her family sees it as a genius strategic move to outsmart Big Mom the master strategist. They respect Luffy for it and pledge fealty to him. The Vinsmokes are kicked out and Sanji is freed from his shackles.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We still haven't seen what Jinbei is up to right now so I'm not sure it'll be ending yet. I think once he shows up again we'll be in the endgame of the arc.

Don't forget Pekoms. Let's be honest, he's still alive.
Probably saved by the Fishman Pirates

Red Fire

Theory: The bomb is strong enough to straight-up kill Big Mom. Her family sees it as a genius strategic move to outsmart Big Mom the master strategist. They respect Luffy for it and pledge fealty to him. The Vinsmokes are kicked out and Sanji is freed from his shackles.

This will never happen. Remember Peru/Pell who carried a nuke that could have destroyed the whole city on his body and mysteriously survived.

A yonko would never die from a bomb

This will never happen. Remember Peru/Pell who carried a nuke that could have destroyed the whole city on his body and mysteriously survived.

The idea of someone in One Piece (much less the most powerful people in that world) dying to a bomb is so ludicrous i can't even.

We can reasonably guess that a bomb will explode with a loud bang and destroy stuff. It could just as easily turn everyone into flying raccoons because in the 5 minutes that Oda had off before he dropped down due to exhaustion he watched a funny raccoon video on youtube.

Metal B

It just doesn't feel like Big Mom is the first Yonko to take down. It seems like Kaidou should take the straight up L here. I'm thinking some fighting, then Big Mom gets turned against Germa (maybe they plot something behind her back and she finds out), and then Big Mom ends up extending some coverage to the East Blue to solve any Zeff threat.

I'm holding that Luffy becomes a Yonko by bumping off Kaidou.

Luffy becoming a Yonko by defeating Kaidou would be a weird scenario. If nothing else big happens in the world and it this just straight up happens, Luffy would already be Pirate King! He for the first time would have the biggest hand of all politics groups in the world of One Piece (kind of crazy).

Before the big war Whitebeard and Shanks balanced Big Momo and Kaidou out. Two didn't want to become kings, against two, who want the crown. And since nobody wanted to work together, there was a stalemate. The death of Whitebeard and the take over of Blackbeard didn't change much. Three parties, who want the crown, and Shanks, who still has no interest. But there is now a bigger rush then before, since the playing field isn't as balanced as before.
If Luffy would become a Yonko by defending Kaidou, i couldn't see Shanks not forming an alliance with him. He recognizes Gol D. Roger in Luffy and sees Blackbeard as extreme dangerous. On the other hand Blackbeard and Big Mom forming an alliance would be unlikely or not very balance, since both have overlapping interests. So how could Luffy not take over anything? He even has big connection to the Revolutionary Army, so there is a third big group, which could support him!

Something needs to happen either before or after the fight against Kaidou to put Shanks out of the picture. Or else Oda really has to give a wired reason to not have Shanks help Luffy out.

My presumption:
Luffy doesn't defeats Big Mom in this arc. It is just a showcase of her power, so that Blackbeard can defeat her. Blackbeard reached Yanko status, without straight up defeating a Yanko, so this would show us, how big of a thread be become.
Luffy defeats Kaidou in the same time, so we know, that both are on the same level. Something happens to Shanks. So there are now only five big parties left: The Strawhats, Blackbeard, the Marines, the World Government and the Revolutionary Army. There will be an alliance between the Strawhats, the Revolutionary Army and a splitter group of the Marines (lead by Coby) against Blackbeard, the World Government and the Marines loyal to the government. Blackbeard and World Government could form an alliance, since they don't have overlapping interests. The Revolutionary Army winning there course, would be bad for Blackbeard, since they would support Luffy. So Blackbeard and World Government have no other choice.

caliph95

Luffy becoming a Yonko by defeating Kaidou would be a weird scenario. If nothing else big happens in the world and it this just straight up happens, Luffy would already be Pirate King! He for the first time would have the biggest hand of all politics groups in the world of One Piece (kind of crazy).

Before the big war Whitebeard and Shanks balanced Big Momo and Kaidou out. Two didn't want to become kings, against two, who want the crown. And since nobody wanted to work together, there was a stalemate. The death of Whitebeard and the take over of Blackbeard didn't change much. Three parties, who want the crown, and Shanks, who still has no interest. But there is now a bigger rush then before, since the playing field isn't as balanced as before.
If Luffy would become a Yonko by defending Kaidou, i couldn't see Shanks not forming an alliance with him. He recognizes Gol D. Roger in Luffy and sees Blackbeard as extreme dangerous. On the other hand Blackbeard and Big Mom forming an alliance would be unlikely or not very balance, since both have overlapping interests. So how could Luffy not take over anything? He even has big connection to the Revolutionary Army, so there is a third big group, which could support him!

Something needs to happen either before or after the fight against Kaidou to put Shanks out of the picture. Or else Oda really has to give a wired reason to not have Shanks help Luffy out.

My presumption:
Luffy doesn't defeats Big Mom in this arc. It is just a showcase of her power, so that Blackbeard can defeat her. Blackbeard reached Yanko status, without straight up defeating a Yanko, so this would show us, how big of a thread be become.
Luffy defeats Kaidou in the same time, so we know, that both are on the same level. Something happens to Shanks. So there are now only five big parties left: The Strawhats, Blackbeard, the Marines, the World Government and the Revolutionary Army. There will be an alliance between the Strawhats, the Revolutionary Army and a splitter group of the Marines (lead by Coby) against Blackbeard, the World Government and the Marines loyal to the government. Blackbeard and World Government could form an alliance, since they don't have overlapping interests. The Revolutionary Army winning there course, would be bad for Blackbeard, since they would support Luffy. So Blackbeard and World Government have no other choice.

I thought Blackbeard was already a yonko.

RalchAC

Or Luffy could just say he doesn't have any interest in being a Yonko and he'd rather wipe the floor with all of them and become the Pirate King.

This is like him having an army. He may save Wano, he may get Kaido territories, but I think he will just shrug off and keep doing what he's been doing until now.

Metal B

I thought Blackbeard was already a yonko.
But he never clearly defeated one, he only killed Whitebeard as he was already down and grown to Yonko size. If he should stay a thread to Luffy, he need to achieve something similar to him.
If Luffy becomes a Yonko, we are very close to the endgame. There can only be the World Government and Blackbeard in his way.

The Germa 66 doesn't seem that strong. Sanji seems stronger by a long margin than most of them and without hostages he could have given a fair fight to his father.
My man.
tumblr_oh6oadUwiu1vl8j0ao1_540.gif

I would love to see Sanji take out the Vinsmokes by himself after sabotaging their tech and making sure Zeff is out of harm's way.

I'm going to be very disappointed if this turns into a Sugar/Dressrosa situation where the bomb knocks out Mont D'or and all of a sudden Luffy is freed and has his own disposable army courtesy of the library prison.

Think you lot will appreciate this video haha. I can't seem to fix the formating from my phone though..

https://youtu.be/_znD1j7zvcw

Basically a guy in Shimokitazawa (small area in Tokyo) who you give some money too and he will read chapters of manga with the voices and sound effects.

Obviously I picked one piece and he did the shanks hat giving section and frankly it was absurd ahaha

Hold the fuck up!! Hold the fuck up!!! Pell survived the big bomb in alabasta?! Damn. He's stronger than I thought.

Red Fire

Hold the fuck up!! Hold the fuck up!!! Pell survived the big bomb in alabasta?! Damn. He's stronger than I thought.

main-qimg-5e5cc60ce575587ee5ab362aca5111ef-c

Yup he did

Well I mean he is supposed to be Alabasta's strongest fighter and Falcons are a symbol for speed so he could have dropped it and flied away quickly before it went off or something silly BUT STILL

Man God

Non-Canon Member

In the same arc Usopp, the weakest fighter in the series, gets his head caved in by a giant baseball bat and exploded a few times and is fine, albeit in mummy bandages.

The arc after that Enel clearly zorches like half the important characters in the arc and they're all fine by the end of it.

One Piece characters are built Ford tough.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup he did

Well I mean he is supposed to be Alabasta's strongest fighter and Falcons are a symbol for speed so he could have dropped it and flied away quickly before it went off or something silly BUT STILL

I mean, it's not like killing him off really accomplishes anything. One Piece is the sort of story where no one really dies unless it serves a narrative purpose.

Red Fire

I mean, it's not like killing him off really accomplishes anything. One Piece is the sort of story where no one really dies unless it serves a narrative purpose.

Right. I'm not saying he should've died, I'm glad he survived. It's just weird.

Just like spandam surviving. I will never get over this

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Right. I'm not saying he should've died, I'm glad he survived. It's just weird.

Just like spandam surviving. I will never get over this

Spandam was surrounded by his own men. That's a no brainer. Robin also didn't want him dead, she wanted him to suffer which is why she broke almost every bone in his body.

The one that never made sense to me was Arlong. Those villagers should have killed him on the spot. Sure the navy arrived pretty quickly but not that quickly.

Spandam was surrounded by his own men. That's a no brainer. Robin also didn't want him dead, she wanted him to suffer which is why she broke almost every bone in his body.

The one that never made sense to me was Arlong. Those villagers should have killed him on the spot. Sure the navy arrived pretty quickly but not that quickly.

Was he not bury under the building not like that should have stop them .
Even if the marines got there almost right away .

My presumption:

Shanks has just as much reason to ally with Luffy as he did Whitebeard, which is none at all. He's never helped Luffy before out of respect (doesn't want to coddle him), and I don't see why he'd change that now. If Luffy is stronger, then he'll have to prove it by beating Shanks on his own (as Luffy himself pointed out on Punk Hazard).

As for the Yonko, our only definition of them is that they're the 4 strongest pirates in the World. This is why Blackbeard is now a Yonko, and...

Or Luffy could just say he doesn't have any interest in being a Yonko

...why Luffy doesn't get a choice here. It's not a position to be accepted, but a title, no different than his bounty. If Luffy becomes stronger than any of the Yonko, he boots them out and takes their place. It's like a leaderboard in a game; you can't post one of the top 4 scores and then not take that place. And I think it's really clear that Luffy will either top Big Mom or Kaidou before he'd jump Shanks or Blackbeard (both of whom are being set up as final rival and final villain, respectively).

It could totally be Big Mom that he beats straight up, but given Oda's backwards views on fighting women and what I perceive to be the vibe in this arc, I just don't see Big Mom as the villain. This seems to be more about Germa 66, so I think they take the big bad slot. I do think Sanji beats his dad, so Luffy will do some sparring with Big Mom. But with her devil fruit and Oda's general writing with women in combat, I think it'll just be Luffy versus a bunch of souled-up objects for awhile, not versus Big Mom herself.

RalchAC

Shanks has just as much reason to ally with Luffy as he did Whitebeard, which is none at all. He's never helped Luffy before out of respect (doesn't want to coddle him), and I don't see why he'd change that now. If Luffy is stronger, then he'll have to prove it by beating Shanks on his own (as Luffy himself pointed out on Punk Hazard).

As for the Yonko, our only definition of them is that they're the 4 strongest pirates in the World. This is why Blackbeard is now a Yonko, and...

...why Luffy doesn't get a choice here. It's not a position to be accepted, but a title, no different than his bounty. If Luffy becomes stronger than any of the Yonko, he boots them out and takes their place. It's like a leaderboard in a game; you can't post one of the top 4 scores and then not take that place. And I think it's really clear that Luffy will either top Big Mom or Kaidou before he'd jump Shanks or Blackbeard (both of whom are being set up as final rival and final villain, respectively).

It could totally be Big Mom that he beats straight up, but given Oda's backwards views on fighting women and what I perceive to be the vibe in this arc, I just don't see Big Mom as the villain. This seems to be more about Germa 66, so I think they take the big bad slot. I do think Sanji beats his dad, so Luffy will do some sparring with Big Mom. But with her devil fruit and Oda's general writing with women in combat, I think it'll just be Luffy versus a bunch of souled-up objects for awhile, not versus Big Mom herself.

Being a Yonko is a title but it seems like a political position.

There is a status quo in the world and a bunch of non written rules that most have been following. Even Blackbeard seems to be playing by a Yonko's ruleset. Have your territory, strengthen your crew by various ways, protect your glyph while waiting for the right moment to attack. It's a Cold War of sorts. Without a big breakthrough it's a never ending cycle.

If Luffy decides to say "fuck it" to the more political side of being a Yonko, he will change the balance of the world. What will happen once he brings down the first Yonko and decided to fight against the second one? And once he decides to attack a third one?

Yonko isn't a title in the same way the Supernovas or being part of the Worst Generation is.

There is a status quo in the world and a bunch of non written rules that most have been following. Even Blackbeard seems to be playing by a Yonko's ruleset. Have your territory, strengthen your crew by various ways, protect your glyph while waiting for the right moment to attack. It's a Cold War of sorts. Without a big breakthrough it's a never ending cycle.

If Luffy decides to say "fuck it" to the more political side of being a Yonko, he will change the balance of the world. What will happen once he brings down the first Yonko and decided to fight against the second one? And once he decides to attack a third one?

Yonko isn't a title in the same way the Supernovas or being part of the Worst Generation is.

Then Luffy becomes a destructive Yonko. But the fact remains that we have 1 definition for what constitutes a Yonko, and that is "four strongest pirates in the world."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Outside of protecting Fishman Island Luffy doesn't seem to care about protecting territory. Right now, you're right that, the Yonko are in a cold war--in a state of MAD essentially. Now, the only way that gets disrupted is if someone, like Luffy, comes along and breaks the stalemate. He doesn't even need to beat Big Mom to destroy the state of MAD that's been created, he just needs to disrupt and fuck her shit up enough to force her to abandon her stalemate position.

That's what I think is going to happen. Luffy's going to take the ponyglyph, or a rubbing, and destroy the stalemate in the process, he won't beat Big Mom now but will do so down the line. Even destroying the stalemate would be enough to send the New World into a feeding frenzy. From there Big Mom attacks Kaido while Luffy and co slip into Wano, clean up the situation with the shogun, and get out with another ponyglyph.

I'm just not sure he needs to, or can, defeat a Yonko yet. Even so, there's way this can all move forward.

Then Luffy becomes a destructive Yonko. But the fact remains that we have 1 definition for what constitutes a Yonko, and that is "four strongest pirates in the world."

The Yonko control territory from what we know about them. That seems to be a big part of the position given the aftermath of Whitebeard getting beat.

TheFlow

Banned
Outside of protecting Fishman Island Luffy doesn't seem to care about protecting territory. Right now, you're right that, the Yonko are in a cold war--in a state of MAD essentially. Now, the only way that gets disrupted is if someone, like Luffy, comes along and breaks the stalemate. He doesn't even need to beat Big Mom to destroy the state of MAD that's been created, he just needs to disrupt and fuck her shit up enough to force her to abandon her stalemate position.

That's what I think is going to happen. Luffy's going to take the ponyglyph, or a rubbing, and destroy the stalemate in the process, he won't beat Big Mom now but will do so down the line. Even destroying the stalemate would be enough to send the New World into a feeding frenzy. From there Big Mom attacks Kaido while Luffy and co slip into Wano, clean up the situation with the shogun, and get out with another ponyglyph.

I'm just not sure he needs to, or can, defeat a Yonko yet. Even so, there's way this can all move forward.

The Yonko control territory from what we know about them. That seems to be a big part of the position given the aftermath of Whitebeard getting beat.

that and they are easily the among the strongest in the world like top 10.

Metal B

This isn't about "helping" Luffy, it is about following him. Shanks not supporting Luffy in becoming Pirate King doesn't make sense, since he pretty much supported him from day one and pushed him forward to this goal by giving him the Gol D. Roger's strawhat. Maybe there will be a personal fight between them, so that Shanks get the prove, that Luffy is ready. But Shanks is the first person, who ever thought, that Luffy should be the Pirate King.

Shanks not supporting Whitebeard was a problem of motivation. Whitebeard had no ambition to becoming Pirate King. (We know that from the flashback between him and Gol D. Roger) and it was very frustrating for Shanks to get him into caring for anything besides his crew. Whitebeard was not Pirate King material, since he didn't want the crown. So Shanks didn't support him, but still stayed friendly with him. Luffy is completely different in this regards.

This isn't about "helping" Luffy, it is about following him. Shanks not supporting Luffy in becoming Pirate King doesn't make sense, since he pretty much supported him from day one and pushed him forward to this goal by giving him the Gol D. Roger's strawhat. Maybe there will be a personal fight between them, so that Shanks get the prove, that Luffy is ready. But Shanks is the first person, who ever thought, that Luffy should be the Pirate King.

Shanks not supporting Whitebeard was a problem of motivation. Whitebeard had no ambition to becoming Pirate King. (We know that from the flashback between him and Gol D. Roger) and it was very frustrating for Shanks to get him into caring for anything besides his crew. Whitebeard was not Pirate King material, since he didn't want the crown. So Shanks didn't support him, but still stayed friendly with him. Luffy is completely different in this regards.

Honestly, that doesn't fit with the themes here. Captains rarely swear fealty, and I don't see Shanks doing that. He's his own captain with his own crew and I think it would be strange if a Yonko just bent the knee.

And I repeat that Luffy said he'll fight Shanks one day and beat him. I think it'll be amicable, but Luffy wants to win honestly.

main-qimg-5e5cc60ce575587ee5ab362aca5111ef-c

Yup he did

Nolan's idea to end The Dark Night Rises comes from One Piece

I still dont get the whole 'New World' thing. They made a big deal about crossing the Grand Line and how dangerous and risky it was. However there seem to normal people living in normal towns all over the New World. How did they even get there?

Metal B

Honestly, that doesn't fit with the themes here. Captains rarely swear fealty, and I don't see Shanks doing that. He's his own captain with his own crew and I think it would be strange if a Yonko just bent the knee.

And I repeat that Luffy said he'll fight Shanks one day and beat him. I think it'll be amicable, but Luffy wants to win honestly.
Yes, Luffy will beat Shanks one day (if it comes to it). But it will not be a big war. If they fight, then it will be on a personal level. Shanks sees great thinks in Luffy, he sacrificed his arm for his future! When Luffy is on Yonko-Level, Shanks will test and then support him.

We all just wait for one thing to happen. Shanks saying: "Luffy will become the Pirate King!"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hey who wants to talk about gender stereotypes in One Piece?? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But no seriously, this Franky/Senor fight and then the Luffy/Bellamy one, they are characterized as "men's" fights, Bellamy goes on about "being a man," but when actually examined with the tiniest bit of closeness, the traits Oda associates with being a "man" are almost universally awful traits. The unwillingness to compromise, in any circumstance. A total lack of nuance, and a binary handling of all events. The inability to examine one's self, and the requirement to blindly strike forward with no logic. Oda's "ideal men" are pig-headed morons who will never bend on any topic even to their own, or others', detriment.

I get what he's going for, "a man doesn't compromise his ideals" is a nice sounding sentiment except that he routinely applies it to god-awful ideals that anyone with half a brain or conscience shouldn't have in the first place. So say what you will about his treatment of women (and there is much to say), but Oda's clumsy attempt to glorify manliness is really doing the opposite.

But hey, maybe that's on purpose. It'd jive with his general "everyone's an idiot in One Piece" style of character-building. It's kinda like Simpsons or Flinstones characters.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, I'm surprised I don't bring this up more often since it bothers me as much as how he treats females. In fact, generally speaking, screwing over female characters tends to be balanced by glorifying bad masculine traits. Because it doesn't matter how self-destructive they are, so long as they are manly. Oh, and that a man's doing them.

The only reason this doesn't collapse in on itself is because he builds in lazy work arounds that allow men to cheat the system. The first words out of Usopp's mouth weren't an apology, but they didn't 'hear' them over the waves. Bellamy is still nominally loyal to Doffy, but is unofficially part of Luffy's fleet. You could argue that's a subtle criticism of the ideals of masculinity, but it's just praised too much to be convincing. It feels more like Oda gaming the system when he writes himself into a corner where he can't possibly deny that what the characters are doing is stupid. It doesn't necessarily exclusively apply to even men in particular, such as how the entire population of Zou didn't rat out the ninja dude. They would have basically faced genocide if they didn't give him up, but hey, it all worked out because the strawhats arrive, so you see Oda's garfield laughing and eating lasagna afterwards, not caring about his mutilation at all. But my favorite part has to be when they told to basically shut up and stop complaining about basically being sold as a slave because they agreed to some nonsense rules over a game the other pirates were blatantly cheating on. It either all works out in the end, so it doesn't matter how stupid they were, or else they have a built in work around.

Edit: THat said, I wonder how the uncompromising segments of female characters work in this context. I mean, their way of uncompromising is distinctly nonviolent, but I cannot roll my eyes harder at stupid shit like Shirahoshi staying silent over Hody's murder of her mother or Rebecca's dedication to a nonviolent way of fighting when that's stupidly impractical. Is that masculine or feminine? A feminine version of an otherwise masculine ideal?

Anyway, it's part of what makes the characters feel like they're not real people for me. No one would do that. Real people do compromise, change their minds, move on with their pride injured at points. By not giving his characters these kinds of moments of weaknesses, it weakens the writing for me. But failing that, I wish that characters would atleast suffer the real consequences such stupid behavior ought to bring them. But I'm surprised your suddenly so interested in this topic, Tat. Why the change from everyone else trying to drown out the gender talk?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But I'm surprised your suddenly so interested in this topic, Tat. Why the change from everyone else trying to drown out the gender talk?

It's just having bought these Dressrosa volumes and reading them all over a few days, this stuff jumps out at me more. I've never really wanted to drown it out, anyway, I far prefer it to roleplaying with sassy gifs. Actual discussion, whoda thunk it!

I wonder a little, actually, if Oda got a bit of blowback during Dressrosa about this stuff. And it's why Whole Cake Island seems to have way less gender stereotyping, and a fair amount of kinda interesting female characters.

It's just having bought these Dressrosa volumes and reading them all over a few days, this stuff jumps out at me more. I've never really wanted to drown it out, anyway, I far prefer it to roleplaying with sassy gifs. Actual discussion, whoda thunk it!

I wonder a little, actually, if Oda got a bit of blowback during Dressrosa about this stuff. And it's why Whole Cake Island seems to have way less gender stereotyping, and a fair amount of kinda interesting female characters.

Oda writes want he wants to writes and draws what he wants .
We are not talking about some newbie here we are talking about best selling mangaka of all time.
Who is he going to get blowback from ?

Veelk

Banned
Listening to criticism and adjusting for it is a healthy part of any artistic process. Oda should be doing this if he isn't already.

That said, I agree, I doubt Oda does much reading of the series criticism. Partially because...well, when would he do it? Mangaka already have so much shit to do. But really, I don't think I've ever read anything from him that was like "I wanted to do this, but then people told me that it'd be fucking stupid, and I eventually realized they were right so I changed it" like I have with other authors. Really, I haven't seen it with any mangaka. The closest I can think of is Kishimoto saying "Year of Kakashi" in response to people saying "Not enuf kakashi" which didn't even end up really being a thing iirc. Also, author's have stuff like Beta testers rather than going on amazon and reading their reviews. I don't know the mangaka equivelent of that other than editors, which isn't the same thing.

Any current change is more likely in writing a female centric arc, he realized that it's hard to make a story interesting when using stereotypes with the central focus. Once it goes back to being centric on super tuff muscle manly men like Kaido, it'll go back to business as usual.

Seesaw15

I agree with most of the points you brought up on a macro level but I have a few questions.

1.) Do you view the Pirate life /tradition in Oda's world to be inherently masculine/stupid?

But my favorite part has to be when they told to basically shut up and stop complaining about basically being sold as a slave because they agreed to some nonsense rules over a game the other pirates were blatantly cheating on.

For example you mentioned the Davy Back Fight and how they should have welshed on the deal as soon as the other side started cheating. If the genders were reversed do you think a female captain would have ended the match and ruined her crews reputation? Would a female captain have forgiven insubordination from someone in front of her crew? Is Luffy and his fanaticism for upholding the pirate way to his own/ crews detriment (the most egregious but thematically consistent example being Mock Town) an intrinsically male or pirate thing?

2.) How do you define laziness/cheating in writing versus necessary coincidence needed to keep a narrative going.

It feels more like Oda gaming the system when he writes himself into a corner where he can't possibly deny that what the characters are doing is stupid. It doesn't necessarily exclusively apply to even men in particular, such as how the entire population of Zou didn't rat out the ninja dude. They would have basically faced genocide if they didn't give him up, but hey, it all worked out because the strawhats arrive, so you see Oda's garfield laughing and eating lasagna afterwards, not caring about his mutilation at all.

Also I have to flat out disagree with you calling what the people of Zou did stupid/not feeling like real people. If you strip away the fantastical/anthropomorphic elements the people of Zou where defending their land from invading forces and winning. Then the enemy introduces chemical warfare and catches them off guard. There are plenty of examples ranging from the Armenian Genocide, the Holocaust or even all of America's wars in the Middle East where people would rather die than give up their friends/families/allies to enemy combatants. It's stupid if all you care about is self preservation but I wouldn't call it a cheat or lazy.

3.)
Real people do compromise, change their minds, move on with their pride injured at points. By not giving his characters these kinds of moments of weaknesses, it weakens the writing for me.

I'm curious if you're discounting certain moments or you just expect more out of them but I feel like at least all of the Straw Hats have had a moment where they had to compromise, change their minds, move on with their pride injured. I won't count Nami and Robin crying asking for help/saying they want to live but does Zoro putting away his pride and asking Mihawk for help count? Does Luffy telling his crew to run from the Pacifista and exclaiming how weak he is after he couldn't save Ace count? I'm sure Sanji will get a moment like that this arc. Do these moments not count or are these examples of masculine things?

Also, author's have stuff like Beta testers rather than going on amazon and reading their reviews. I don't know the mangaka equivelent of that other than editors, which isn't the same thing.

I don't think manga would have anything like that.
Mangaka are usual 2 weeks ahead of what in the magazine .
With them working on up coming chapters it's not like they have much time to change stuff on old ones.

I know they fix stuff in vols but it not really anything that would change the story \characters

Listening to criticism and adjusting for it is a healthy part of any artistic process. Oda should be doing this if he isn't already.

That said, I agree, I doubt Oda does much reading of the series criticism. Partially because...well, when would he do it? Mangaka already have so much shit to do. But really, I don't think I've ever read anything from him that was like "I wanted to do this, but then people told me that it'd be fucking stupid, and I eventually realized they were right so I changed it" like I have with other authors. Really, I haven't seen it with any mangaka. The closest I can think of is Kishimoto saying "Year of Kakashi" in response to people saying "Not enuf kakashi" which didn't even end up really being a thing iirc. Also, author's have stuff like Beta testers rather than going on amazon and reading their reviews. I don't know the mangaka equivelent of that other than editors, which isn't the same thing.

Any current change is more likely in writing a female centric arc, he realized that it's hard to make a story interesting when using stereotypes with the central focus. Once it goes back to being centric on super tuff muscle manly men like Kaido, it'll go back to business as usual.

I get the feeling the Japanese audience (in other words, the vast majority of fans) don't actually have the same issues that we do with the portrayal of women

Veelk

Banned
1.) Do you view the Pirate life /tradition in Oda's world to be inherently masculine/stupid?

I'm not sure which aspect of masculinity your talking about, but the stuff Tat brought up, in being uncompromising to the point of being a detriment to everyone involved being glorified is very stupid, and it's something the vast majority of the characters seem to view as positive.

For example you mentioned the Davy Back Fight and how they should have welshed on the deal as soon as the other side started cheating. If the genders were reversed do you think a female captain would have ended the match and ruined her crews reputation? Would a female captain have forgiven insubordination from someone in front of her crew? Is Luffy and his fanaticism for upholding the pirate way to his own/ crews detriment (the most egregious but thematically consistent example being Mock Town) an intrinsically male or pirate thing?

I think if they give a shit enough to have a reputation 'ruined' because they don't follow the rules of an absurdly stupid game, I would imagine that the Foxy Pirates would bear the brunt of the blame because they're the ones infringing on the rules here. I mean, otherwise you have a situation where refusing to pay the dues of a rigged game is more shameful than rigging the game itself, which is just dumb.

In addition to that, the only real source would be the Foxy pirates. Who would believe some ragtag bunch of nobodies talking shit about the much more infamous Strawhats? "Yeah, man, those straw hats may have taken down 3 Shichibukai and counting and now are wrastling with a fucking yonko, but they lost to the foxy pirates in a rigged game and didn't destroy their crew over it, what losers". I feel like Yugioh abridged's children card game joke can get it's own variation here. In addition to that, they're fucking pirates. They'll break every law there is, but some random game, oh now, that's sacred ground we're talking now. In addition to that, I would imagine most pirates, realizing they're being cheated, would just start cutting off heads of these jokers. I mean, in practice, this game could basically ruin crews that have no interest in separating. The entire ordeal was one of the flimsiest, most pathetically justified events in all of one piece, and it was all predicated based on "If you're a man, you do what you say you were gonna do", no matter how the circumstances change. Honestly, by this logic, the Foxy pirates should have just said "and the next game is where I am thinking of a number between 1 and quadrillian and you have to guess it". They're already cheating and it's clear the Strawhats are dumb enough to follow any set of rules, might as well just change the whole game and make it impossible for them to win.

So to answer your question, this whole thing is so catastrophically stupid that anyone following through on it is an idiot, and the reason they follow through on it is because they're 'real men'. if they had instead just said that it's about a generic concept like 'honor' or some shit, we wouldn't even be having this conversation, but they justified it with masculinity. I imagine that if a female character followed through on it, they'd use the more generic excuse, which would make them stupid, but tehy wouldn't be stupid because of femininity at least.

2.) How do you define laziness/cheating in writing versus necessary coincidence needed to keep a narrative going.

Subjectively. You're standards for it don't have to be the same as mine. I just view what Oda does unfavorably.

Also I have to flat out disagree with you calling what the people of Zou did stupid/not feeling like real people. If you strip away the fantastical/anthropomorphic elements the people of Zou where defending their land from invading forces and winning. Then the enemy introduces chemical warfare and catches them off guard. There are plenty of examples ranging from the Armenian Genocide, the Holocaust or even all of America's wars in the Middle East where people would rather die than give up their friends/families/allies to enemy combatants. It's stupid if all you care about is self preservation but I wouldn't call it a cheat or lazy.

Sure, but there are also plenty of people who did compromise on their values. And in the examples of the holocaust, on single compromise wouldn't out all the jews hiding, since they were split between many homes. But they were searching for one person that everyone seemed to know where he was at, or at the very least that he was there and hidden. And out of hundreds, there was not a single one who didn't question and decide that maybe the genocide of their people wasn't worth protecting this one dude? Not one, which is all it'd take? Not one single mink?

No, that's not human nature. (Or mink nature, as you prefer)

I'm curious if you're discounting certain moments or you just expect more out of them but I feel like at least all of the Straw Hats have had a moment where they had to compromise, change their minds, move on with their pride injured. I won't count Nami and Robin crying asking for help/saying they want to live but does Zoro putting away his pride and asking Mihawk for help count? Does Luffy telling his crew to run from the Pacifista and exclaiming how weak he is after he couldn't save Ace count? I'm sure Sanji will get a moment like that this arc. Do this not count or are these examples of masculine things.

Characters show weakness, but rarely a compromise on their values or promises. For example, Zoro is not someone who I see as wanting to kowtow to anyone, but no, I don't think he personally sees any shame in asking Mihawk to train him, no more than he sees Luffy as a strong pirate who he's willing to serve being shameful. He recognizes Mihawk as the strongest guy and the only one who can now learn from, so why not? Especially since it's not like Mihawk is his enemy. Mihawk is the only one who viewed Zoro's request as initially shameful, not Zoro himself. Same with Luffy, his self confidence isn't a value or promise, so it's not like him whining about being weak is a compromise to his character.

What we are focusing on is characters who specifically say "I won't do X" and then that character doing X, somewhat building off the "If I said it, therefore it must be" sentiment that keeps recurring and seems to be one of the main standard of what a 'real man' is, aka a promise keeper. So, to your argument, a greater subversion of that might be Luffy promising to not move from the spot where Sanji left him, but being forced to due to being beaten down by Big Mom's army. But at the same time, you could say he didn't compromise, since he didn't do it willingly. Willingly would be "Hey, maybe I should move because Big Mom's army is coming and they're probably gonna kill me and Nami". I mean, shit, what if Big Mom hadn't given orders to take them in alive and just mounted Luffy and Nami's heads on the wall at Sanji's wedding Game of Thrones style. But, Big Mom happens to not want them dead, so bullet dodged yet again.

Actually, one of the more accurate scenes might be Zoro's first introduction scene. He goes "I don't work for pirates" but then he does. But again, it's more that "I don't work for scumbags" and once Luffy proved he wasn't one, he accepted working under him. But that's probably one of the few times 'a man's word' was technically broken.

I get the feeling the Japanese audience (in other words, the vast majority of fans) don't actually have the same issues that we do with the portrayal of women

*Shrug* feminism is a minority in any area, including the US. I do know there is a feminism movement in japan, I just have no idea how prevalent it is, or how much the japanese audience tries to shut it down.

Beyond that, the fact is that gender norms are at a different position than they are in the US. For example, the sex rate and birth rate is at an all time low. I'm not sure how that affects the cultural view of gender norms, but I find it difficult to believe it doesn't.

Regardless, my point stands. Betatesting is a basic part of the process novel authors go through, and they give it to a wide variety of readers so they can get responses from different viewpoints. If Oda doesn't have a feminist reviewing his work, he probably should, just to know what that perspective is.

Forget to comment on this .
OP turning 20 next year seem like it was just the other day it was 15 .
Boy does time fly , looking forward to seeing what companies going to do for it .
Have been reading\watching it for near half of my life.

Regardless, my point stands. Betatesting is a basic part of the process novel authors go through, and they give it to a wide variety of readers so they can get responses from different viewpoints. If Oda doesn't have a feminist reviewing his work, he probably should, just to know what that perspective is.

Novel authors don't write and draw chapters weekly .
Second i not sure what a feminists is suppose to tell Oda about his comic that aim at 15 year old boys .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom