• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
OK I'm gonna try and go back to bed so I will just repost some on my thoughts and debate among your selves.

I think there has to be more to Pudding that meets the eye (EYE JOKE!).

Why did we even get Pudding's flashback with Lola and what seemed to be her genuine facial expressions when she was alone? Why think about a Flashback of Big Mom telling her to follow her order and she's a doll and such?

There's no sense in Pudding reminiscing about this if she was putting on an act thing whole time. Unless she's conflicted after meeting the others but I doubt that.

https://img.mangastream.com/cdn/manga/51/3852/007.png

Why would she need to flashback to Lola leaving if she acting nice is all an act or doesn't admire she left and got freedom? (especially when there's no straw hats around) or think about Big Mom telling her it's just best to follow her orders, if she was just evil all along.

Also if Pudding can shoot beams from her eyes, Luffy will forgive all. Luffy loves them.

e45a3a16e2b3004d822b5aa2a59cbccaee00aadd_hq.gif

5Zs6h.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRMbvb_z18M

Of course this is the first post of the new page...night...hopefully -_-

Happy end to the year of Sanji or more like year of Sanji suffering.

I knew it. Since Pudding was so easily able to get into see Luffy and Nami. She's been playing everyone from the start and we all saw the hints. Great twist though. Also Tamago got scrambled.

Ray Down

Banned
Also add her comments to Tomago about needing to be some where else makes no sense, he should know how Pudding is!

Unless Pudding is really being literally about only her family as in brothers and sisters.

Metal B

Wasn't Oda watching or reading Game of Thrones? Time for a Red Wedding.

I liked the visual foreshadowing, that Pudding hiding her third eye, while she was lying to everybody. You know, like hiding her true self. I hope, she has to redemption arc. Let her be evil.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think if there's one thing this year of Sanji has made clear regardless of whatever retribution Sanji eventually has is that Oda truly truly hates Sanji. This plus the TS and the rest f the crap no other SH hell no other charater gets shit on half as much as Sanji does.

SaniOYOYOY

lets go luffy, awaken your devil fruit, kill everything
sanji, awaken your kings haki and also kill everything
red wedding incoming indeed sonn

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Now we just need Carrot to be revealed as Kaido's mole and this will be the greatest arc ever

Lol does Tamago have an egg logia or something? Looks like he got cut in half.

Pudding thing is still weird. That Lola flashback and the third eye only being shown now is suspect.

Also, I wonder why Pudding didn't just kill Reiju instead of revealing the plan.

Can't wait to see next chapter .
As people were saying pudding was playing them all along .
Time for things to go crazy and sanji to wake the fuck up .

Majukun

Now we just need Carrot to be revealed as Kaido's mole and this will be the greatest arc ever

on one hand,it would not make sense given some thing we've read until now.

but since this surprise doesn't make sense either,i suppose we can now say that it is not enough of a reason for that not to be true anymore.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

but since this surprise doesn't make sense either,i suppose we can now say that it is not enough of a reason for that not to be true anymore.

Eh this surprise still makes sense and has been implied for a while. Notice how in that Lola's flashback nothing of Pudding's personality is revealed. She's just remembering Lola. There's nothing contradictory there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
...man they are really in a messed up situation. Wonder whos gonna save the day.

Cant wait for Sanji to go all out in this Arc...things wont be pretty.

KageZero

...man they are really in a messed up situation. Wonder whos gonna save the day.

Cant wait for Sanji to go all out in this Arc...things wont be pretty.

Yeah, but there is still the problem with zeff, even if he gets his arms free someone has to deal with this. The most likely candidate is chopper since he can move around the island, so he has a chance to find out how do they plan to assassinate him and stop it.
Shame about such a long break

There is nothing wrong with this twist .
People have been saying pudding was playing them \evil since she did not show up that first time to meet them .
Oda taking longer than usual made some people change there minds but signs were always there

Majukun

Eh this surprise still makes sense and has been implied for a while. Notice how in that Lola's flashback nothing of Pudding's personality is revealed. She's just remembering Lola. There's nothing contradictory there.
There is nothing wrong with this twist .
People have been saying pudding was playing them \evil since she did not show up that first time to meet them .
Oda taking longer than usual made some people change there minds but signs were always there

tons of thing don't make sense,let's make a list

1) if pudding was acting all this time,why make luffy go to whole cake island?
No particular trap was ready for him there, and since they were following to the letter the route she made for them,why didn't they just send the "angry fleet" to intercept and sink the sunny? They would have even avoided fighting luffy directly that way,and there's no sane reason to make the enemy infiltrate your territory and get that close to their objective.

2) Pudding continued to be her "usual" self when talking to baron Tamago that time Pedro and Brook were spying. even if we make her an extreme case and say that she is herself only in front of big mom/ her family, so excluding tamago and the totland people, it stll doesn't make sense for her to asktamago to go "to a prior engagement" if she didn't intend to go there in the first place. and there's no other prior engagement that she could have that tamago could not be informed of if not the meeting with the strawhats.

3)Why was she all sad and thinking about lola if that was a ruse? She was completely alone,no one to act in front to, and we still saw the same demure pudding as always.

4) why keep the facade during the visit to the strawhats when only them and her brothers were there? why even whisper it to their ear if it was something she had no reason to hide from Opera.

probably there are other instances but those are the first that comes to mind

Principate

Saint Titanfall

1) if pudding was acting all this time,why make luffy go to whole cake island?
No particular trap was ready for him there, and since they were following to the letter the route she made for them,why didn't they just send the "angry fleet" to intercept and sink the sunny? They would have even avoided fighting luffy directly that way,and there's no sane reason to make the enemy infiltrate your territory and get that close to their objective.

2) Pudding continued to be her "usual" self when talking to baron Tamago that time Pedro and Brook were spying. even if we make her an extreme case and say that she is herself only in front of big mom/ her family, so excluding tamago and the totland people, it stll doesn't make sense for her to asktamago to go "to a prior engagement" if she didn't intend to go there in the first place. and there's no other prior engagement that she could have that tamago could not be informed of if not the meeting with the strawhats.

3)Why was she all sad and thinking about lola if that was a ruse? She was completely alone,no one to act in front to, and we still saw the same demure pudding as always.

4) why keep the facade during the visit to the strawhats when only them and her brothers were there? why even whisper it to their ear if it was something she had no reason to hide from Opera.

probably there are other instances but those are the first that comes to mind

The seducing woods was the trap bro and they fell for it hook line and sinker.

If only her family knows she's not going to acting like that when the general populace of the town can see her

Sad thinking about Lola may have been genuine there's nothing currently about this that contradicts this and how do you even know it's sad thinking in the first place.

Why do you think she was allowed to visit the SH in the first place after it had been made known she was friends with them?

TTOOLL

Brutal, what a fucking dire situation this is.
I'm pretty sure Lola will eventually show up and help saving the SH.
Who will save Luffy? Pedro or Chopper?

Majukun

The seducing woods was the trap bro and they fell for it hook line and sinker.

they were not instructed to go to the forest, if they followed what pudding said to them,they would have waited on the beach. also there were way more efficient ways to deal with them,like intercept them at sea, there werre tons of better options than to make them arrive so close to sanji.

Sad thinking about Lola may have been genuine there's nothing currently about this that contradicts this and how do you even know it's sad thinking in the first place.
the one expression we saw from her wsn't exactly happy.
Why do you think she was allowed to visit the SH in the first place after it had been made known she was friends with them?
you didn't answer my question..why whisper in their ear something she has no reason to hide what she was saying,why keep the facade in that room where only luffy,nami and opera are .
she is still part of the family,so hr being able to roam the castle freely was not that strange.

If only her family knows she's not going to acting like that when the general populace of the town can see her
she also asked tamago to go to a "prior engagement" during that scene,and the only kind of engagement that tamago couldn't have been aware of was the meeting ith the strawhats,a meeting that apparently she had no intention to attend to.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
they were not instructed to go to the forest, if they followed what pudding said to them,they would have waited on the beach. also there were way more efficient ways to deal with them,like intercept them at sea, there werre tons of better options than to make them arrive so close to sanji.

the one expression we saw from her wsn't exactly happy.
you didn't answer my question..why whisper in their ear something she has no reason to hide,why keep the facade in that room where only luffy,nami and opera are .
she is still part of the family,so hr being able to roam the castle freely was not that strange.

Pudding never showed up at the beach. That should have been your first clue.

Majukun

Pudding never showed up at the beach. That should have been your first clue.

we already had a justification for that, her being not able to freely move because of the wedding organizaton.

it's in the same scene where she apparently continued acting without having any reason to and asked tamago to let her go to a prior engagement that apparently she had no intention to go to anyway.

Pay up Maju, we had that massive quote thing mooooonths back. Gonna dig up the post.

i admit i was wrong
i still say it doesn't make any sense as it is now

i just lost a little bit of faith in oda as a writer

anyone can write a twist,different matter is for that twist to make sense with what happened before without letting the reader know.

Majukun

That you're still clinging to your sweet image of Pudding is a testament to Goda's writer skills.

what image of pudding
i sincerely don't care much about the character
still i would like my onepiece to make sense since most of the enjoyment i get out of the manga is about formulating theories based on logic.
if the manga stops making sense,it's a problem for me.

we already had a justification for that, her being not able to freely move because of the wedding organizaton.

it's in the same scene where she apparently continued acting without having any reason to and asked tamago to let her go to a prior engagement that apparently she had no intention to go to anyway.

i admit i was wrong

anyone can write a twist,different matter is for that twist to make sense with what happened before without letting the reader know.
I mean, people called it as far back as her giving that map and helpingg out the Straw Hats. She may not be entirely evil but it's pretty illogical to think the twist made no sense. The Big Mom pirates were fucking with them from the start. Playing with your food means you don't eat it right away, just as they (Big Mom pirates) did not always do the most logical thing to meet their goals.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

i admit i was wrong

Neither of those scenarios help your scenario as for all you knew then as we know now she would have lead them through the woods anyway. This is a twist Oda had planned from the onset and it was obvious. Why exactly did you think her third eye hadn't been shown until this point even in flashbacks despite her being introduced with a third eye.

Why do you think her face wasn't shown a lot of the time in the flash back? Did you seriously think that was just a coincidence?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This arc.....

Oda is killing it! The thing I love about one piece is that it feels like something out of a 1940s newspaper comic strip instead of manga.
The last few pages reminded of the The Spirit, just freaking amazing.

@Majukun you can see all the sighs of it .
Sometimes it was just the author messing with us something that happens all the time.
Either way big mom was messing around\ playing with SH , Sanj and Vinsmokes for the beginning .

Fucking Sanji just can't catch a break man. Considering this is the year of Sanji, it's been a pretty shitty year for him huh? Always suspected Pudding would turn out evil though. There were definitely times where I thought maybe she wasn't, but in the back of my mind I always had some suspicions.

I dunno guys, I think we need to wait a bit more to see if Pudding is really evil.

True. She could just be lying,to pit Germa against the Vinsmokes. But at this point the problem is self contained so it doesn't really matter what Pudding says. From her perspective, Reiju is captured, Sanji is an idiot, Luffy and Nami are behind bars so no one can mess up their plan. Pudding can blab all she wants.

Also this chapter wasn't a flashback, so the Reiju "escaping" scene from last chap happened before this chapter's events.

Majukun

Neither of those scenarios help your scenario as for all you knew then as we know now she would have lead them through the woods anyway. This is a twist Oda had planned from the onset and it was obvious. Why exactly did you think her third eye hadn't been shown until this point even in flashbacks despite her being introduced with a third eye.

Why do you think her face wasn't shown a lot of the time in the flash back? Did you seriously think that was just a coincidence?

again,all you are listing are narrative reasons

i want what happens to make sense in the logic of the manga...if we are against big mom,a pirate that it's basically a queen and has access to infinite resources and infinite military power..i expect them to deal with luffy using them, because they have no convincing reason not to...if they knew where they were at all time, dealing with them before letting them set food on whole cake island would have been easy and painless

if i see a character acting in a certain way in front of his own comrades and family,i can't but assume they are sincere since inside the logic of the manga they have no reason to lie.

sure,it's a fiction so everything can happen if the author wishes it to happen, but make the twist convincing following the rule of the world he created is what separates the good writer from the round of the mill mashima.

until now, Oda ALMOST always made sense,eerything was ALMOST always coherent and logical, this was a planned twist that of course he planned in advance, but was made really sloppy and without care...

as an example,take one of the twist i consider the best in the series,the meeting between garp and ace at impel down.
The two characters are tallking, and ace says that both him and luffy are the sons of an infamous criminal.Given what we knew until them,it was absolutely logical to think that he was talking about dragon,with him and luffy,being brothers,both sons of the same infamous criminal.
instead, later we discover that ace is the son of roger, and what he really meant was that they were sons of TWO different criminals.
it was a twist,a swerve,but it was completely logical, everything was planted in advance to make us think that luffy and ace were biological brothers (apart from the hint otf the different family name)..and even people who already uspected that ace was not luffy's real brother,were convinced by that single sentence because it was, for all we knew, a direct confirmation..instead,surprise!
it was brilliantly done and even if you actively tried to look for inconsistencies, you couldn't find half of it, everything was played by the rules,and that's what made it brilliant.

this one instead lacks a lot of sense in terms of logic, and thus comes out like a swerve for the sake of a swerve, or just a poorly done plot twist

Kain

True. She could just be lying,to pit Germa against the Vinsmokes. But at this point the problem is self contained so it doesn't really matter what Pudding says. From her perspective, Reiju is captured, Sanji is an idiot, Luffy and Nami are behind bars so no one can mess up their plan. Pudding can blab all she wants.

Also this chapter wasn't a flashback, so the Reiju "escaping" scene from last chap happened before this chapter's events.

I think it's implied that Pudding hurt Reiju because she figured out something and confronted her thinking she was weak, she momentarily escaped and then Pudding caught her and tied her to a chair.

I'm curious now what powers she has with that third eye of hers.

Carrot will save Luffy because there is a mirror in that room somewhere. Calling it now. CARROT IS LIFE

The game of the throne wars game commences. Either Sanji dies this arc or he does something really crazy.

One of the things I expected was a conflict between Big Mom and the Vinsmokes but I expected Luffy to come to an alliance with one of the groups but neither side looks like they can be trusted. But I guess that any Shonen hero can have some humility beaten into them.

qazqaNii

Am I the only one that thought Pudding looked really scary I got fuckign chills and wanted to go to the next page asap but had to read it obviously.

Wonder if Sanji knew that she had 3 eyes tho, are they on a break next week or not?

Kreed

One Piece 850:

So now that we know Pudding really is evil and Big Mom's plans for destroying the Vinsmoke family, this should solve all of Sanji's "problems" in regards to fighting back once he's free of the bomb collar, when and if the rest of the Vinsmoke family hear about the plan and believe the betrayal plans and/or get betrayed. There will be no need to keep Sanji "hostage" and/or put Zeff's life on the line at that point, which was the biggest problem. I am really surprised by the entire Big Mom family intentions to betray the Vinsmoke family though, but it makes sense going back to Big Mom's interactions with the family. No Brooke update this week is a bad sign though/hopefully he wasn't defeated off screen before he could escape/get saved by Chopper.

Blackhead

Redarse
1 - Yes,i was wrong

2 - this doesn't make any sense

we've had way too many instances where pudding had no reason to act because she was alone or surrounded by nothing but allies, and she still was the pudding we have knew until now
now suddenly we have to accept this "heel turn", even if it doesn't make sense in the slightest

but since this surprise doesn't make sense either,

why didn't they just send the "angry fleet" to intercept and sink the sunny?

i admit i was wrong

what image of pudding
i sincerely don't care much about the character
still i would like my onepiece to make sense since most of the enjoyment i get out of the manga is about formulating theories based on logic.
if the manga stops making sense,it's a problem for me.

i want what happens to make sense in the logic of the manga...if we are against big mom,a pirate that it's basically a queen and has access to infinite resources and infinite military power..i expect them to deal with luffy using them, because they have no convincing reason not to...

until now, Oda ALMOST always made sense,eerything was ALMOST always coherent and logical, this was a planned twist that of course he planned in advance, but was made really sloppy and without care...

tumblr_m8p3hwTuaT1qdato8o4_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m8p3hwTuaT1qdato8o6_250.gif

Big One

Banned
Pudding was actively lying to the Strawhats throughout this entire arc. She also told them her "secret" plan in front of multiple Homies that have a part of Big Mom's soul in it, which were implied directly to be connected to Big Mom herself in some capacity when it comes to getting information. It really wasn't that big of a surprise tbh.

I guess this is what BM meant by "bloodshed" during that song. The bomb is likely going to throw a wrench into the plan anyway. I wonder what combat capabilities Pudding has, since she apparently took down Reiju.

Also, does anyone think Zepo and Bepo are related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom