• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

May...maybe..maybe pudding is faking, you know make allthink she is evil but thn she is a double agent?
Or she will redempt herself by taking mama with her own hands
Or maybe anything?

I am having a melting down

KageZero

what image of pudding
i sincerely don't care much about the character
still i would like my onepiece to make sense since most of the enjoyment i get out of the manga is about formulating theories based on logic.
if the manga stops making sense,it's a problem for me.

Yeah i mostly agree with you, there are some inconsistency how everything was pulled out, but i guess that everything was an act as puding stated that she loves to do it and only "mom" knows here other self.
But that flashback was a bit weird still, i'm assuming she was just rewinding her life in her head as she is about to play out the rest of her act and go visit luffy.
The only thing i don't understand is why she went out to tell luffy ahead of time (yeah kind of torture measurement but she could have made him suffer after the vinsmokes would be killed) and how reiju found out what she is planning. She must have showed something.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
May...maybe..maybe pudding is faking, you know make allthink she is evil but thn she is a double agent?
Or she will redempt herself by taking mama with her own hands
Or maybe anything?

I am having a melting down

You mean like violet was in dressrosa?

marmoka

Banned
I already read the chapter....

OMG!! OH MY F***ING GOD!!

It was worth having a break of a week for this! I loved it! And I'm so hyped with what is going to happen next!!

Oda! You son of a bitch! I fucking love you!

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah i mostly agree with you, there are some inconsistency how everything was pulled out, but i guess that everything was an act as puding stated that she loves to do it and only "mom" knows here other self.
But that flashback was a bit weird still, i'm assuming she was just rewinding her life in her head as she is about to play out the rest of her act and go visit luffy.
The only thing i don't understand is why she went out to tell luffy ahead of time (yeah kind of torture measurement but she could have made him suffer after the vinsmokes would be killed) and how reiju found out what she is planning. She must have showed something.

I know Oda won't repeat the plot, but actually care about Pudding.

The arc is far from over. Goda still has lots of pages to go

Fuuuuuuuuu Sanji!!! Twice Oda!! Twice over the span of two arcs. Damn.

Alright sanji time to man up now. It's time you know what they intend to do what's the plan

Principate

Saint Titanfall
again,all you are listing are narrative reasons

i want what happens to make sense in the logic of the manga...if we are against big mom,a pirate that it's basically a queen and has access to infinite resources and infinite military power..i expect them to deal with luffy using them, because they have no convincing reason not to...if they knew where they were at all time, dealing with them before letting them set food on whole cake island would have been easy and painless

if i see a character acting in a certain way in front of his own comrades and family,i can't but assume they are sincere since inside the logic of the manga they have no reason to lie.

sure,it's a fiction so everything can happen if the author wishes it to happen, but make the twist convincing following the rule of the world he created is what separates the good writer from the round of the mill mashima.

until now, Oda ALMOST always made sense,eerything was ALMOST always coherent and logical, this was a planned twist that of course he planned in advance, but was made really sloppy and without care...

as an example,take one of the twist i consider the best in the series,the meeting between garp and ace at impel down.
The two characters are tallking, and ace says that both him and luffy are the sons of an infamous criminal.Given what we knew until them,it was absolutely logical to think that he was talking about dragon,with him and luffy,being brothers,both sons of the same infamous criminal.
instead, later we discover that ace is the son of roger, and what he really meant was that they were sons of TWO different criminals.
it was a twist,a swerve,but it was completely logical, everything was planted in advance to make us think that luffy and ace were biological brothers (apart from the hint otf the different family name)..and even people who already uspected that ace was not luffy's real brother,were convinced by that single sentence because it was, for all we knew, a direct confirmation..instead,surprise!
it was brilliantly done and even if you actively tried to look for inconsistencies, you couldn't find half of it, everything was played by the rules,and that's what made it brilliant.

this one instead lacks a lot of sense in terms of logic, and thus comes out like a swerve for the sake of a swerve, or just a poorly done plot twist

What narrative reason exactly made you think Big Mom took the SH seriously? Nothing at all in the manga implied as such. She's not incompetant which is the SH have largely been outplayed but she never took the SH as a serious threat. Big Mom has always been a bit of a bipolar loose cannon. Her and almost all her children are psychotic and psychopathic.

The reason why pudding acted the way she did is because she likes acting and is good at at and her siblings know about this, Notice how she's alays acted this way eithe when the general town could see her or when she knows luffy and his allies/Sanji could see her. She also extremely sadistic giving the game away before giving them absolute hope would defeat the purpose. She didn't need to go through with this ruse at all she wants to go through with this ruse. That's why she made sure to tell Luffy just before he gets executed and Reiju as well. Big mom has already made her dinner at this point she's just playing with it.

Big One

Banned
I wonder if Pedro and Pekoms were gathering the Road Poneglyphs for another Emperor. There are some signs Pedro might end up joining with his declaration that the Strawhats are the ones that will make change to the world. What if he was originally working for Dhanks and his "dream" has to do with something related to that.

I wonder if Pedro and Pekoms were gathering the Road Poneglyphs for another Emperor. There are some signs Pedro might end up joining with his declaration that the Strawhats are the ones that will make change to the world. What if he was originally working for Dhanks and his "dream" has to do with something related to that.
Plz no not another swordsman

Kreed

People have been speculating on Pudding lying for a while/Oda left plenty of hints towards her lying/keeping secrets (the eye thing), but it wasn't until chapter 848 that Oda threw "doubts" towards it in regards to what Pudding said to Luffy and Nami and I do have to agree with Majukun that there was no narrative reason for Pudding to whisper what she really said to Luffy and Nami vs Oda throwing us/the audience off (making us believe she was saying something secretive that the rest of her family couldn't know). That said, the real "game changer" was Big Mom betraying the whole Vinsmoke family, which is something I don't think anyone saw coming/this brings everything else together in regards to Pudding IMO.

KageZero

People have been speculating on Pudding lying for a while/Oda left plenty of hints towards her lying/keeping secrets (the eye thing), but it wasn't until chapter 848 that Oda threw "doubts" towards it in regards to what Pudding said to Luffy and Nami and I do have to agree with Majukun that there was no narrative reason for Pudding to whisper what she really said to Luffy and Nami vs Oda throwing us/the audience off (making us believe she was saying something secretive that the rest of her family couldn't know). That said, the real "game changer" was Big Mom betraying the whole Vinsmoke family, which is something I don't think anyone saw coming/this brings everything else together in regards to Pudding IMO.

Nah it was stated that big mom wants germna's scientific knowledge from the start, considering her violent nature and the fact that we saw she does not even care about her own children it was obvious after marriage that she will not see much use of the Vinsmokes, but yeah i did not expect she would kill them immediately.

LotusHD

Banned
All the hints were there, but I refused to acknowledge them... Especially due to Reiju being in the same arc, she was a convenient red herring for the character I was expecting to reveal ulterior motives.

If Luffy or Sanji break her face in, I'll be satisfied lmao

RalchAC

Nah it was stated that big mom wants germna's scientific knowledge from the start, considering her violent nature and the fact that we saw she does not even care about her own children it was obvious after marriage that she will not see much use of the Vinsmokes, but yeah i did not expect she would kill them immediately.

For a moment, when we where discussing about Big Mom pulling a Red Wedding, I considered that she may have been interested in the clone army. I immediately remembered how those clones needed a few years in the making before reaching adulthood and discarded the idea. I was like "she doesn't have that much time, seeing how the competition is doing".

Guess I was wrong :p

All the hints were there, but I refused to acknowledge them... Especially due to Reiju being in the same arc, she was a convenient red herring for the character I was expecting to reveal ulterior motives.

If Luffy or Sanji break her face in, I'll be satisfied lmao
Nami has to take out pudding..For reasons

The rest of the arc rests entirely on Carrot and Chopper right now. They are the only ones free, plus they have unlimited access to the mirror world. Assuming there are mirrors nearby, they could rescue Brook, eavesdrop on the Pudding/Reiju conversation, pick up Sanji and free Luffy and Nami. Now watch as everything turns to shit and Carrot is the Mink traitor after all.

Pudding is a psychopath just like the rest of her family .
She running away in tears is just to rub it in luffy face some more and of course Oda make people wonder what she said .
Now we know what type of person she really is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a RED WEDDING

Yeah, a lot of things about Pudding were off. Her willingness to help the Straw Hats, that she was "too perfect" for Sanji, all part of her plan. Just about everyone called the third eye. Though what's the purpose of it? It looks like it can move independently as it's shown looking at Nami while she's looking down on Luffy.

Pedro is hardcore! Ripping out his own eye to save 10 years.
I wonder if Zepo is why Bepo became a pirate, to avenge him.
I doubt Tamago is down yet. He didn't bleed when Pedro cut him, well he didn't bleed blood. Something tells me he ate an egg-based Devil Fruit, and unlike Humpty Dumpty, he can put himself together again.

That was one hell of a two week cliffhanger Oda. His cliffhanger game has been strong this year.

RalchAC

I don't see Big Mom allowing Luffy to get to Whole Cake Island that weird tbh. It's already been stated how revengeful she is. And Luffy ate her candy and declared a war against her... So yeah.

It's not about defeating Luffy. It's about making him suffer by killing one of his precious crewmates in front of him.

It was either that or starving him to death while a week long BBQ is being held in front of him.

It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a RED WEDDING

Yeah, a lot of things about Pudding were off. Her willingness to help the Straw Hats, that she was "too perfect" for Sanji, all part of her plan. Just about everyone called the third eye. Though what's the purpose of it? It looks like it can move independently as it's shown looking at Nami while she's looking down on Luffy.

Pedro is hardcore! Ripping out his own eye to save 10 years.
I wonder if Zepo is why Bepo became a pirate, to avenge him.
I doubt Tamago is down yet. He didn't bleed when Pedro cut him, well he didn't bleed blood. Something tells me he ate an egg-based Devil Fruit, and unlike Humpty Dumpty, he can put himself together again.

That was one hell of a two week cliffhanger Oda. His cliffhanger game has been strong this year.
Alright this got a chuckle outta me lol. Dudes shaped like a litteral egg.. But than again shouldnt Pedro already know this? Haki up Pedro

For a moment, when we where discussing about Big Mom pulling a Red Wedding, I considered that she may have been interested in the clone army. I immediately remembered how those clones needed a few years in the making before reaching adulthood and discarded the idea. I was like "she doesn't have that much time, seeing how the competition is doing".

Guess I was wrong :p

Well if she can take "years" from things, it's possible she can put them into things as well, inducing rapid aging/maturity

again,all you are listing are narrative reasons

i want what happens to make sense in the logic of the manga...if we are against big mom,a pirate that it's basically a queen and has access to infinite resources and infinite military power..i expect them to deal with luffy using them, because they have no convincing reason not to...if they knew where they were at all time, dealing with them before letting them set food on whole cake island would have been easy and painless
this one instead lacks a lot of sense in terms of logic, and thus comes out like a swerve for the sake of a swerve, or just a poorly done plot twist

AKA you couldn't predict it, therefore it doesn't make sense

Kreed

The "alliance" was definitely shown to only be as useful as what each side had, even the Vinsmokes said as much directly a chapter ago. But it still would have been an alliance each side was honoring. It's the killing the Vinsmokes/outright betraying the alliance directly that is a surprise IMO based on everything we've seen. Even in the examples you mentioned, how many examples do we have of Big Mom betraying the alliances she's made in the process of having these marriages/union agreements? From the Fishmen to Capone, and even Pedro's flashback, Big Mom, while definitely crazy, has "honored" all of the deals we've seen her make. She definitely "used" people and wasn't straight forward with anything, but I think it's a stretch to say we could have seen her destroying the Vinsmokes coming.

Pudding is a psychopath just like the rest of her family .
She running away in tears is just to rub it in luffy face some more and of course make people wonder .
Now we know what type of person she really is still that she was allow to see them was already a big read flag .

Pudding crying is one thing and I agree with your comments in regards to her behavior, but whispering to Luffy and Nami to hide what she was saying from the rest of the room doesn't make sense even from a "Pudding is a psychopath" perspective. The only difference between saying what she wanted to say out loud for the rest of the room to hear (to laugh with her and the Straw Hats) and saying it in secret so that only Nami and Luffy could hear is that whispering threw us the readers off in regards to her intentions since it made us believe she was keeping a secret from her family.

Oxn

The "alliance" was definitely shown to only be as useful as what each side had, even the Vinsmokes said as much directly a chapter ago. But it still would have been an alliance each side was honoring. It's the killing the Vinsmokes/outright betraying the alliance directly that is a surprise IMO based on everything we've seen. Even in the examples you mentioned, how many examples do we have of Big Mom betraying the alliances she's made in the process of having these marriages/union agreements? From the Fishmen to Capone, and even Pedro's flashback, Big Mom, while definitely crazy, has "honored" all of the deals we've seen her make. She definitely "used" people and wasn't straight forward with anything, but I think it's a stretch to say we could have seen her destroying the Vinsmokes coming.

Pudding crying is one thing and I agree with your comments in regards to her behavior, but whispering to Luffy and Nami to hide what she was saying from the rest of the room doesn't make sense even from a "Pudding is a psychopath" perspective. The only difference between saying what she wanted to say out loud for the rest of the room to hear (to laugh with her and the Straw Hats) and saying it in secret so that only Nami and Luffy could hear is that whispering threw us the readers off in regards to her intentions since it made us believe she was keeping a secret from her family.

Maybe only mom and siblings know her true self?

Dont the people in her town love her if i remember correctly?

Eh, don't think I like this twist. I kind of want Pudding to still be putting on an act to make herself seem like the absolute villain so she can ruin the marriage on her end and keep Sanji safe.

Not because I like her, but because the heel turn was so obviously expected at this point, it's lame that the story actually took that direction. So I'm hoping there is an actual unexpected twist within this expected twist.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either.

Her brother was in the room, and thus should know of her psychopathic tedencies, yet she still didn't show them and still cried for some reason. Then there is the fact that her brother should also know that the plan is for them to kill the Vinsmokes as well as the Strawhats. There is no reason for her to get in close to the crew and act like this was some big secret if that was Big Mom's Crew's Plan this entire time.

TheFlow

Banned

Her brother was in the room, and thus should know of her psychopathic tedencies, yet she still didn't show them and still cried for some reason. Then there is the fact that her brother should also know that the plan is for them to kill the Vinsmokes as well as the Strawhats. There is no reason for her to get in close to the crew and act like this was some big secret if that was Big Mom's Crew's Plan this entire time.

yea I think pudding actions were meant to throw the readers off because it didn't make sense otherwise.

Metal B

Unless she wanted to squash every bit of satisfaction out of her performance. Showing how much she loves acting and backstabbing.
It's similar, if somebody wants to know a secret. You ask the person to step closer ... you're going near his head ... he awaits a whisper and you quietly say "I tell you my secret ... NOT" WHILE YOU SCREAM IN HIS EAR! This is the satisfaction, i believe Pudding wanted from her act.

Big One

Banned
I don't think Pudding is completely "evil" however. I think like all of Big Mom's children and subordinates, there's going to be a clear grey area here. Here's what I think is going on with Pudding...

• Pudding is actually a fairly nice girl (Back in Fishman Island arc, she was getting grossed out by Big Mom's eating habits. This is her true self, since no one was around to see it one can assume this.)
  • Pudding intentionally lead the Strawhats into the Seducing Woods at Big Mom's orders (Remember Pudding said previously in the arc that "she could never disobey Big Mom")
  • Big Mom's children are a bit "twisted" in their own way. Lola is no exception. Remember Lola was trying to kill Nami just because Absalom had the hots for her. Lola herself has mental issues just like her mother. Pudding should be no different.
  • Pudding still has fondness and love for her family, hence her flashback of Lola on the balcony. She also realizes Big Mom views her as a "doll" as well.
  • Pudding whispered her plans to Luffy and Nami.
I REALLY think the goal of her telling Reiju this plan is to ultimately stir shit between the Vinsmokes and Big Mom. I do not think Big Mom actually wants to kill them like Pudding says they do. Why would Pudding reveal a plan that Big Mom's actually trying to accomplish to Reiju of all people? I think this might be another elaborate ruse at play here. Pudding is going to have Reiju escape and warn the Vinsmokes of the plan and ultimately start a conflict between them and Big Mom, negatively affecting the wedding at hand.

I also believe she might've whispered those plans to Luffy and Nami so Big Mom's crew wouldn't know about her own plan to expose Big Mom or create a conflict.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Eh it doesn't seem that strange, if she just announced it front of everyone then there's a chance Luffy and Nami would think she's just acting and still on their side so the effect wouldn't be half as strong. The fact she whispered it removes all shadow of a doubt of her intentions. She's a sadist and Luffy and Nami thought she was on their side so her expectation would be at the lowest.

Seesaw15

Im on team #NotEvil for Pudding not because I have any particular affection for the character but it doesn't make sense why she would tell everyone the plan a day before.

Eh it doesn't seem that strange, if she just announced it front of everyone then there's a chance Luffy and Nami would think she's just acting and still on their side so the effect wouldn't be half as strong. The fact she whispered it removes all shadow of a doubt of her intentions. She's a sadist and Luffy and Nami thought she was on their side so her expectation would be at the lowest.

Even if that was the case, I just realized, the plan she revealed doesn't make sense. Why would Big Mom wait until the wedding to kill the Vinsmokes? They are in her territory, on her island, with all of her crew. If she was going to kill them, why not just do it now or the moment they arrived? Why go through the whole charade of a wedding when the main players are all under your roof right and take all of their tech, which is also on the island right now. She has everything she needs and I doubt the Vinsmoke family are strong enough to take on a Yonko in their own territory. She has no real reason to set up this big betrayal. Unless she just wanted a damn cake out of this entire thing.

NSESN

Even if that was the case, I just realized, the plan she revealed doesn't make sense. Why would Big Mom wait until the wedding to kill the Vinsmokes? They are in her territory, on her island, with all of her crew. If she was going to kill them, why not just do it now or the moment they arrived? Why go through the whole charade of a wedding when the main players are all under your roof right and take all of their tech, which is also on the island right now. She has everything she needs and I doubt the Vinsmoke family are strong enough to take on a Yonko in their own territory. She has no real reason to set up this big betrayal. Unless she just wanted a damn cake out of this entire thing.

Probably the cake

KageZero

Well that is what i said, maybe i expressed myself in the wrong way.
I expected her to leave the Vinsmokes be as long as they did not cause any trouble, but such a fast bloodshed is unexpected. Truth to be told, the vinsmokes are almost in the same park.

Kreed

Considering Sanji was able to fool Luffy and Nami with his act and how many times Pudding fooled Luffy, Nami and Sanji, I'm not buying this. Even how you describe the difference between whispering and saying it out loud seems to be coming from your perspective as a reader. To us it definitely made a difference/made the reveal stronger and I definitely understand why Oda did it/I enjoyed the twist, but I think the affect would have been just as strong from Nami and Luffy's perspective of hopelessness if Pudding walked into the room and made fun of the Straw Hats openly/said she was going to kill Sanji with the rest of the room laughing at them with her.

Dimmle

I don't think Pudding is completely "evil" however. I think like all of Big Mom's children and subordinates, there's going to be a clear grey area here. Here's what I think is going on with Pudding...

• Pudding is actually a fairly nice girl (Back in Fishman Island arc, she was getting grossed out by Big Mom's eating habits. This is her true self, since no one was around to see it one can assume this.)
  • Pudding intentionally lead the Strawhats into the Seducing Woods at Big Mom's orders (Remember Pudding said previously in the arc that "she could never disobey Big Mom")
  • Big Mom's children are a bit "twisted" in their own way. Lola is no exception. Remember Lola was trying to kill Nami just because Absalom had the hots for her. Lola herself has mental issues just like her mother. Pudding should be no different.
  • Pudding still has fondness and love for her family, hence her flashback of Lola on the balcony. She also realizes Big Mom views her as a "doll" as well.
  • Pudding whispered her plans to Luffy and Nami.
I REALLY think the goal of her telling Reiju this plan is to ultimately stir shit between the Vinsmokes and Big Mom. I do not think Big Mom actually wants to kill them like Pudding says they do. Why would Pudding reveal a plan that Big Mom's actually trying to accomplish to Reiju of all people? I think this might be another elaborate ruse at play here. Pudding is going to have Reiju escape and warn the Vinsmokes of the plan and ultimately start a conflict between them and Big Mom, negatively affecting the wedding at hand.

I also believe she might've whispered those plans to Luffy and Nami so Big Mom's crew wouldn't know about her own plan to expose Big Mom or create a conflict.

I was about to call bullshit on this theory of yours but I honestly can't consider myself an accurate barometer for OP after this week. It could happen. Literally anything could happen.

Considering Sanji was able to fool Luffy and Nami with his act and how many times Pudding fooled Luffy, Nami and Sanji, I'm not buying this. Even how you describe the difference between whispering and saying it out loud seems to be coming from your perspective as a reader. To us it definitely made a difference/made the reveal stronger and I definitely understand why Oda did it/I enjoyed the twist, but I think the affect would have been just as strong from Nami and Luffy's perspective of hopelessness if Pudding walked into the room and made fun of the Straw Hats openly/said she was going to kill Sanji with the rest of the room laughing at them with her.

Not only laughing with her, but it would have been better if we had a sibling confirm her true personality rather than her doing it herself.

This something that Oda does often .
Have people say something and we don't hear it about until later .
Only this time it made some people change there minds on the type of character they were.
And maybe some of her famliy members don't know the plan .
Big Mom famliy is huge and i don't expect her to tell everyone in it what is going on .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom