• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
I still don't see the appeal. Everyone else was a colorful character of some kind from the moment we spotted them, and many of them further on started to be very unique individuals.

Carrot's got the spirit of a Strawhat, though she isn't unique. Shirahoshi was hella unique (and i was back on team Shirahoshi back in the day), Rebecca too was unique with the "no attacking" angle, though it was quickly apparent how outclassed she was.

What's the draw for Jinbe? His characterization is no different than a number of self-sacrificing leader figures and while his powerset would be unique to the crew, he's one of many Fishmen.

No harm in having a straight and narrow Fishman.

I mean, I dunno, I always assumed they were going to have one on their crew, because the newer members tend to be different species or are at least really out-there (Brook). A Fishman felt like a good fit, seeing as how the sea itself is a big threat to like half of the crew. Didn't necessarily think it would be Jinbe, nor did I strongly wish for him since Day 1, until Fishman Island, where Luffy flat-out asked him to join. Then you have this arc, where he obviously wants to join as well. So barring any unforeseen circumstances, he's joining, and I'm completely all for it. Not to mention it's also at a point where the Monster Trio are all likely stronger than him, and the enemies are only getting stronger, so the whole power dynamic isn't as messed up as it would be had he joined a lot earlier. And his dream is creating better relations between humans and Fishmen, so yea, I digs it.

To sum it up for me, it's not like I've always specifically wanted Jinbe to join. But rather it's like "Yo Jinbe bout to join this crew, you cool with that?" The answer to that is... Yes, yes I am.

This coming from the guy who believed Ash would win the the 6th gen league.

Ignoring past statements, history of the show, Ash jobbing is Vegeta tier, reality, logic, common sense...hmm...

Just get ready to Share the Urouge

dTjcCMM.jpg
Thankfully unlike that God awful show Oda will throw a curve ball.

Lol is that my avatar..I hate u

Daingurse

Jewelry Bonney, Vivi or Boa Hancock. That's what we need for next nakama.

If it were up to me, Caesar Clown would be the next nakama lol.

Honestly see Carrot on the squad, at some point. Jinbe is just a matter time, hopefully soon though. Vivi is basically a Straw Hat already in everything but name IMO. She just needs to get on the damn boat lol. And yeah, I think I could see Jewelry on the squad too . . .

RomanceDawn

I still don't see the appeal. Everyone else was a colorful character of some kind from the moment we spotted them, and many of them further on started to be very unique individuals.

Carrot's got the spirit of a Strawhat, though she isn't unique. Shirahoshi was hella unique (and i was back on team Shirahoshi back in the day), Rebecca too was unique with the "no attacking" angle, though it was quickly apparent how outclassed she was.

What's the draw for Jinbe? His characterization is no different than a number of self-sacrificing leader figures and while his powerset would be unique to the crew, he's one of many Fishmen.

What's the draw for Jinbe? What's the draw for Jinbe?! While such a statement irks me ever so slightly, I understand that your question is genuine and you have yet to see the bluish fat light.

When you say colorful you are probably referring to the eccentric personalities of most of the Straw Hats. Jinbe is certainly tame in that regard but having a 4th Straight Man in a crew of 10 still works just fine especially when you consider his potential reactions to the zany things the other half of the crew does on the regular. And it's not as if he can't join in on the eye popping and face faulting, because he certainly can and did it multiple times like a true Straw Hat. People often want to see the silly side of Jinbe and while his silliness does show in bits and pieces lets at least wait until he is in an arc that doesn't hold such serious weight. It was in his 3rd arc within the series that we finally got to see him lighten up with the face faults and the plan making. You can bet that those are seeds planted for the future.

Now lets talk design...
You bring up both Shirahoshi and Rebecca, 2 characters that shows one of Oda's biggest weakness when it comes to drawing. He makes many of his beautiful girls look just like Nami. From a design perspective regarding the main cast that is just an absolute no go. Each Straw Hat should be easily recognized by silhouette alone and when fully detailed we should be able to pick out details that really speak of the character. Save for Nami(who at the time of entering the story all she really had was darn near being the first girl in the series), each of them has a very unique look to them with physical details that show a ton of thought and consideration. That kind of care did not go into Shirahoshi or Rebecca and well Shirahoshi swimming along side Sunny the rest of her life just wasn't ever going to work.

Now Jinbe on the other hand, Jinbe has the build of a big fat guy! No Straw Hat has that look(or had it for too long anyway) and even when it comes to Fishmen his rounder build is pretty unique. His nose, his hair, his style of dress, all things that stand out among all the other Fishmen and Mermaids. Even without knowing a thing about him, the Sun Pirates brand and scar across his left eye tell us that there is some careful history there with more to be revealed.

Now think about when Jinbe's name first dropped, sometime in like 1999 or 2000 I think. All we knew of Fishmen were that they were super strong racists and Jinbe was in charge of em all! Flash forward a million years and it turns out he is the exact opposite of Arlong and pursues unity between races. Thats pretty unique if you ask me.

As for the appeal, it's really subjective but I love that Jinbe is extremely humble and tries to do everything for every body and more or less fails. When Nami joined for good, I was so happy because I just wanted to see her free and blossom with the crew once her baggage was taken care of. I didn't like Robin at first because she seemed so normal and boring, but once we found out what she was all about I was so happy she was with the Straw Hats because she could basically live free for once. For me much of the same feelings apply to Jinbe. Think about Jinbe and his exploits past or present, for a War Lord he has almost always been depicted as something less than other big shots and almost always failing.

Jinbe is the type that tries to do everything for everyone else at the expense of what he may really want. He puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and seems to always come up short. With the Straw Hats though that would change so much!

Think about it, Jinbe joined the War Lords simply to ease the hostility between races and help the Neptunes. Jinbe can't handle all the kidnappings on Fishman Island, it's White Beard who saves the island. Ace tries to assassinate White Beard and Jinbe isn't able to fully defeat Ace. Jinbe can't keep Arlong in check. Jinbe opposes the war to help White Beard and his actual introduction is of him being imprisoned. Luffy gets a permanent scar because Jinbe can't protect him from Akainu. And while he tried his hardest, both White Beard and Ace ended up dying while he didn't. On top of all that you have Jinbe still conflicted between the ideals of Otohime and Tiger and currently at the complete mercy of an Emperor. Actually I should't say still conflicted because after meeting Luffy he now clearly has a good idea of what he wants to do in life to achieve his dream.

As for fighting styles it's completely unique and visually very interesting! In the water he could be the undisputed king but outside of the water Zoro and Sanji could very well stand above him as they probably have more room for growth. Not to mention the crew would still have some underdog status by not having an ancient weapon at their disposal for the rest of the series.

We as readers do want to see the races of the world at peace with the fish folks actually integrating into human society in full. Not having someone like Jinbe there experiencing those positive changes in the One Piece world as they unfold would be criminal.

A humble, Karate fighting Martin Luther King who sits around trying to name plans and operations is exactly what I want in the crew, don't you?

Jimbei is pretty cool. Also we need an old guy mentor type character. Although Brook is old, he's hardly the mentor/wise old sage type and considering the play moves Luffy and everyone are making, Luffy is in dire need of a strategist. Jimbei has always been able to bend the will of Luffy. Not so much change his mind but help make his decisions easier to digest by taking it with a more nuanced approach. We need that on the crew.

Ray Down

Banned
Pudings race must be some secret or mystery cause Oda did state in that Guide to The Grand World that Pudding is part of a race, yet her race isn't include on the Slave Auction Trade list or whatever it even lists races that were not yet introduced in any facet like the Minks:

https://cdn.opbforums.com/manga/One Piece/501/6.png

raydown-transparent-1jks5e.png
raydown-transparent-2g9s2j.png

raydown-transparent-1pqs19.png
raydown-transparent-29ds90.png

Also they are ready Black Leg for the day, which is your fav?

Veelk

Banned
I feel completely neutral, for whatever that's worth. I have absolutely no regard toward Jimbei at all, either positive or negative. Depending on how you look at it, that makes Jimbei better than atleast half the strawhats that I hold in contempt, or worse than all of them is you think any reaction is better than no reaction.

RalchAC

Jimbei is pretty cool. Also we need an old guy mentor type character. Although Brook is old, he's hardly the mentor/wise old sage type and considering the play moves Luffy and everyone are making, Luffy is in dire need of a strategist. Jimbei has always been able to bend the will of Luffy. Not so much change his mind but help make his decisions easier to digest by taking it with a more nuanced approach. We need that on the crew.

Yeah. Robin kind of acted like a mentor for a while (since she was the only one that had been travelling the Grand Line before. But she doesn't know much about the New World.

In any case, I'm all for it. I like Jimbei. His design is quite cool and Fishman Karate is very impressive visually. He is old enough to be respected by Luffy and they have a strong bond since he was there in Luffy's worst moments. And him joining the crew would mean that the Fishman Pirates join the Alliance.

I haven't seen people complain about Law, and he was a quite serious character. But it was quite amusing seeing him interacting with the crew. The scene where he is trying to start a strategy meeting and half the cast starts asking Sanji what they want for lunch was really funny.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How can you guys act like Vivi isn't a Strawhat for life after everything they did together and that farewell scene?

RalchAC

How can you guys act like Vivi isn't a Strawhat for life after everything they did together and that farewell scene?

She is a honorific member and I hope we see her during the Reverie. But she's not going to join them. As a character it doesn't make sense that she'll leave the country she loves so much.

Remember the downgrade vivi had from when she was ms wednesday....

Damn i feel old.

I'm rooting for pudding nakama. We need more
crazy
women in the crew.

NSESN

Vivi will be together with the crew at the reverie, and she will be one of the most important characters once the story behing the WG is revealed.
And we already have Sanji, another scrub won't hurt.

Pudings race must be some secret or mystery cause Oda did state in that Guide to The Grand World that Pudding is part of a race, yet her race isn't include on the Slave Auction Trade list or whatever it even lists races that were not yet introduced in any facet like the Minks:

https://cdn.opbforums.com/manga/One Piece/501/6.png

raydown-transparent-1jks5e.png
raydown-transparent-2g9s2j.png

raydown-transparent-1pqs19.png
raydown-transparent-29ds90.png

Also they are ready Black Leg for the day, which is your fav?
Bottom ones..at least give me a kalos hat. Gen 1 sucks

Ray Down

Banned
Remember the downgrade vivi had from when she was ms wednesday....

Damn i feel old.

I'm rooting for pudding nakama. We need more
crazy
women in the crew.

Yes we need a female wildcard on the crew.

Robin makes morbid jokes, we need someone who actually morbid.

Plus she cane use knives and hurt Sanji, Zozo approves.

Bottom ones..at least give me a kalos hat. Gen 1 sucks

No, since when can you make demands about your lost bet ava?

daveo42

Banned
Fucking called it. Sanji just too much a sap to see around it. And here I was thinking everything Sanji was doing was a ruse up to this point...too bad he's getting a helping of spoiled Pudding for dessert.

Edit: I'm also like super late to the party here.

RalchAC

Vivi will be together with the crew at the reverie, and she will be one of the most important characters once the story behing the WG is revealed.

Yeah, she should be an important part of the Reverie. She could even be an important part of the overall story, since the Nerfetari were one of the 20 families that founded the World Government, and the only one of those that refused to become part of the Celestial Dragons.

Will the crew even be at the Reverie? I feel like it'll just be an inbetween arc story with Vivi at the focus.

Ray Down

Banned
Will the crew even be at the Reverie? I feel like it'll just be an inbetween arc story with Vivi at the focus.

Considering they will be heading to Wano after this and Mariejois is a gateway to the new world they won't.

Besides heading there as a pirate to the capital of the World Government during the most important meeting is basically suicide.

Considering they will be heading to Wano after this and Mariejois is a gateway to the new world they won't.

Besides heading there as a pirate to the capital of the World Government during the most important meeting is basically suicide.

Exactly.

I think it's pretty clear that Vivi will be the central character, I mean she's basically a member of the crew anyway, right?

So I wonder what the climax of the arc will be. Huge story revelations for sure, but I'm betting Kaido is going to want to get his hands on Shirahoshi with the Caribou setup we got in Fishman Island.

That or Dragon and the Revs show up. Either way, gonna be epic shit

RalchAC

Exactly.

I think it's pretty clear that Vivi will be the central character, I mean she's basically a member of the crew anyway, right?

So I wonder what the climax of the arc will be. Huge story revelations for sure, but I'm betting Kaido is going to want to get his hands on Shirahoshi with the Caribou setup we got in Fishman Island.

That or Dragon and the Revs show up. Either way, gonna be epic shit

I bet on Kaido going to Fishman Island to kidnap Shirahoshi too. There is going to be a huge battle in Fishman Island and Luffy is totally going to be part of it, since the fortune teller predicted that he would destroy Fishman Island and I doubt he'll do it for fun.

NSESN

Maybe not the crew
But i wouldn't be surprised if Luffy went there, the vinsmokes still have right to participate, i can see them bringing Luffy

EDIT: Thinking better Sanji could go too

Acosta

What's the draw for Jinbe? What's the draw for Jinbe?! While such a statement irks me ever so slightly, I understand that your question is genuine and you have yet to see the bluish fat light.

When you say colorful you are probably referring to the eccentric personalities of most of the Straw Hats. Jinbe is certainly tame in that regard but having a 4th Straight Man in a crew of 10 still works just fine especially when you consider his potential reactions to the zany things the other half of the crew does on the regular. And it's not as if he can't join in on the eye popping and face faulting, because he certainly can and did it multiple times like a true Straw Hat. People often want to see the silly side of Jinbe and while his silliness does show in bits and pieces lets at least wait until he is in an arc that doesn't hold such serious weight. It was in his 3rd arc within the series that we finally got to see him lighten up with the face faults and the plan making. You can bet that those are seeds planted for the future.

Now lets talk design...
You bring up both Shirahoshi and Rebecca, 2 characters that shows one of Oda's biggest weakness when it comes to drawing. He makes many of his beautiful girls look just like Nami. From a design perspective regarding the main cast that is just an absolute no go. Each Straw Hat should be easily recognized by silhouette alone and when fully detailed we should be able to pick out details that really speak of the character. Save for Nami(who at the time of entering the story all she really had was darn near being the first girl in the series), each of them has a very unique look to them with physical details that show a ton of thought and consideration. That kind of care did not go into Shirahoshi or Rebecca and well Shirahoshi swimming along side Sunny the rest of her life just wasn't ever going to work.

Now Jinbe on the other hand, Jinbe has the build of a big fat guy! No Straw Hat has that look(or had it for too long anyway) and even when it comes to Fishmen his rounder build is pretty unique. His nose, his hair, his style of dress, all things that stand out among all the other Fishmen and Mermaids. Even without knowing a thing about him, the Sun Pirates brand and scar across his left eye tell us that there is some careful history there with more to be revealed.

Now think about when Jinbe's name first dropped, sometime in like 1999 or 2000 I think. All we knew of Fishmen were that they were super strong racists and Jinbe was in charge of em all! Flash forward a million years and it turns out he is the exact opposite of Arlong and pursues unity between races. Thats pretty unique if you ask me.

As for the appeal, it's really subjective but I love that Jinbe is extremely humble and tries to do everything for every body and more or less fails. When Nami joined for good, I was so happy because I just wanted to see her free and blossom with the crew once her baggage was taken care of. I didn't like Robin at first because she seemed so normal and boring, but once we found out what she was all about I was so happy she was with the Straw Hats because she could basically live free for once. For me much of the same feelings apply to Jinbe. Think about Jinbe and his exploits past or present, for a War Lord he has almost always been depicted as something less than other big shots and almost always failing.

Jinbe is the type that tries to do everything for everyone else at the expense of what he may really want. He puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and seems to always come up short. With the Straw Hats though that would change so much!

Think about it, Jinbe joined the War Lords simply to ease the hostility between races and help the Neptunes. Jinbe can't handle all the kidnappings on Fishman Island, it's White Beard who saves the island. Ace tries to assassinate White Beard and Jinbe isn't able to fully defeat Ace. Jinbe can't keep Arlong in check. Jinbe opposes the war to help White Beard and his actual introduction is of him being imprisoned. Luffy gets a permanent scar because Jinbe can't protect him from Akainu. And while he tried his hardest, both White Beard and Ace ended up dying while he didn't. On top of all that you have Jinbe still conflicted between the ideals of Otohime and Tiger and currently at the complete mercy of an Emperor. Actually I should't say still conflicted because after meeting Luffy he now clearly has a good idea of what he wants to do in life to achieve his dream.

As for fighting styles it's completely unique and visually very interesting! In the water he could be the undisputed king but outside of the water Zoro and Sanji could very well stand above him as they probably have more room for growth. Not to mention the crew would still have some underdog status by not having an ancient weapon at their disposal for the rest of the series.

We as readers do want to see the races of the world at peace with the fish folks actually integrating into human society in full. Not having someone like Jinbe there experiencing those positive changes in the One Piece world as they unfold would be criminal.

A humble, Karate fighting Martin Luther King who sits around trying to name plans and operations is exactly what I want in the crew, don't you?

That was pretty cool to read, hat off.

I wish we knew what sacrifice Mum took from him... :(

Red Fire

Vivi is a scrub we don't need anymore of them

Wh.. whaa...

I could forgive you dissing master urouge and showing love for garbage tier apoo

I have (barely) turned a blind eye to you dissing dragon and shanks in favor of piece of shit tier black beard

But dissing my girl vivi is a serious crime. You deserve getting buster called for that. No forgiving.

I bet on Kaido going to Fishman Island to kidnap Shirahoshi too. There is going to be a huge battle in Fishman Island and Luffy is totally going to be part of it, since the fortune teller predicted that he would destroy Fishman Island and I doubt he'll do it for fun.

Yo how fucked would it be if we get the Reverie and the Fishman island reps are noticeably absent? Then we get a scene of Fishman island in ruins and Kaido sailing away with Shirahoshi to Wano.

FACK

Wh.. whaa...

I could forgive you dissing master urouge and showing love for garbage tier apoo

I have (barely) turned a blind eye to you dissing dragon and shanks in favor of piece of shit tier black beard

But dissing my girl vivi is a serious crime. You deserve getting buster called for that. No forgiving.
Master Urouge...Ugh plz scrub tier.

Dragon and shanks are god tier...Just not better than the pirate King

Vivi is shit

Big One

Banned
What do you guys think about the theory that Big Mom might've captured Monet in the book? We already know she went to Punk Hazard and captured Brownbeard afterall. Of course Monet was probably dead but it's completely possible through Big Mom's soul powers she might've revived her in some capacity.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What do you guys think about the theory that Big Mom might've captured Monet in the book? We already know she went to Punk Hazard and captured Brownbeard afterall. Of course Monet was probably dead but it's completely possible through Big Mom's soul powers she might've revived her in some capacity.

Are we sure it's Brownbeard? I thought the line was "a centaur from Punk Hazard" and we saw plenty of them.
An entire unit of them

Unless there was a dialogue cue that only works in Japanese

Sanji. Defiantly Sanji.
In story right now yea. But as an overall character...Ehhh. My boy goten went from "he could be stronger than all of us someday" to scrub tier even when fused with trunks(come on ss3 Gotenks did absolutely nothing to base Vegeta..Fuck off Toei/toriyama, he gets shorter every episode/chapter, he apparently has to be a scholar even tho he's never shown a lick of interest in it like Gohan. Sanji at the very least can still tussle with big names

LotusHD

Banned
Damn technically even Yamcha got it better right now, considering him winning a baseball game for the team, and more or less getting his own spinoff.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Guys I need your help.

There is this guy I know let's call him blackleg-s...no wait that's too easy...b-sanji1.

So he has this problem, he just refuses to stop taking Ls over one character in One Piece. I just want him to be happy, what should I tell him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom